XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If Jaguar were redesigning the 5.0 XK Today what suggestions would you like to make?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by apost8n8
How about OEM brake pads that don't turn the wheels black after one outing.
+1, I hate getting my hands black just checking tire pressure. I do have a set of Red Stuff pads ready to go on come Spring though.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

F-Type suspension/steering (like the R-S GT)
Mechanical LSD
8-speed ZF 'box
575 or 600 PS engine
AWD
Carbon brake option (like the R-S GT)
Manual switch to disable active exhaust

In other words, incorporate the advances of the F-Type.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only had the car for 2 weeks so i can't comment on any of the reliability issues that might creep up. In general though, i wish car designers would work as mechanics for a while so they would consider ease of maintenance when they're putting things together.

Everyone is always going to say the infotainment, but with the rate of advancement in computers over the last 15 years, we're chasing a loosing battle with that one. Car radioes either need to be replaceable modules that can be swapped out ever 2-3 years or just dumb receivers for a smart phone or tablet. Cell phones are swapped out every 2-3 years, but we expect our cars to still feel top of the line after 10 years. it's just not possible. I just keep my phone mounted on the dash when i'm in the car and that takes care of music and navigation.

The one modification i do plan to do is to swap the sliding calipers out for fixed calipers. I'll have to do some homework on this though, i'd rather use OEM parts instead of an aftermarket setup. Perhaps the wheels/calipers from the XKR-S GT with iron rotors instead of the carbon ones I've seen.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've only had mine a few months, so no real complaints. Lancer033's comments on the infotainment is spot on IMO.
The only thing I miss from my 05 CLK is the electric seat belt extender. I keep waiting for it and then realize I have to reach back over my shoulder and pull it forward.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it would be good if they would separate the car management functions from the entertainment and use a DIN audio unit that can be upgraded. Of course, that would make it more attractive to thieves than an integrated unit.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM

I was thinking on the lines of Apple's Car Play or Android Auto. If you treat the touch sensors as just an input like a keyboard/mouse and the screen as an external display. Phones can already handle that, it's just a matter of the right software for the interface. That means your phone which is probably less than 2 years old is doing all the work and is easy to update/replace keeping things "current" for years longer.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Problem is, unless they keep the car's CarPlay up to date, your new phone may not play nice with it. We have that issue already with Bluetooth on the XK. Standards evolve, and backward compatibility sometimes gets broken, particularly when everyone implemented the same standard in slightly different ways.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
+1, I hate getting my hands black just checking tire pressure. I do have a set of Red Stuff pads ready to go on come Spring though.
My XE has pads that don't blacken the wheel like the XK did. There is a negative impact on initial braking though. I read Jaguar got dinged by JD Powers for excessive brake dust for new owners of the XF and they must've changed pads in subsequent model years to address this. Oddly enough my Lotus or Aston hardly left brake dust compared the XK.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Problem is, unless they keep the car's CarPlay up to date, your new phone may not play nice with it. We have that issue already with Bluetooth on the XK. Standards evolve, and backward compatibility sometimes gets broken, particularly when everyone implemented the same standard in slightly different ways.
That's a good point, now that i think about it, i remember seeing a documentary on Formula one cars and one of the problems keeping the cars from the early 90s running was that they had to have computers from the same time to run the support software and interface with the car.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lancer033
That's a good point, now that i think about it, i remember seeing a documentary on Formula one cars and one of the problems keeping the cars from the early 90s running was that they had to have computers from the same time to run the support software and interface with the car.
That's one of my concerns about the long-term supportability of the current generation of cars - if the electronic tools needed to maintain them only run on (say) WinXP, and that in turn only runs on hardware from the same era, now we have to keep an ageing laptop alive as well as an ageing vehicle...

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd imagine at some point, vendors will introduce legacy computer emulation to work specifically for use cases like outdated car diagnostics. Shouldn't be hard to do if not already available.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you can do something along those lines with hypervisors like VMware that emulate a physical machine. But my experience of those is that they don't work so well with devices that are designed to connect to a physical machine, and things like SDD require a physical 'dongle' to connect to the car's OBD port (e.g. the Mongoose cable that's used for most of the 'cracked' SDD systems sold online).

If someone on here has used SDD with a Mongoose on VMware or similar, that would be encouraging.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
If someone on here has used SDD with a Mongoose on VMware or similar, that would be encouraging.
I used to use it on VMware and Oracle Virtualbox but couldn't get the Mongoose drivers to work on the physical PC once I upgraded to Windows 10 so I now just use an old laptop with a number of different OS partitions set up for a few versions of SDD plus VAG software for some other cars.

I think it is more reliable running on a physical PC anyway so I wouldn't bother rebuilding a virtual environment for it but if needs must it is possible.

Ngarara (03-17-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Windscreen / gutter design so that washing your windscreen doesn't run the results straight along your side windows...

ralphwg (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by RobB
Windscreen / gutter design so that washing your windscreen doesn't run the results straight along your side windows...
Lol, How bout simple inner door rain gutters! Cant tell you how many times Ive gotten my butt soaked just opening the door and having the roof water run straight down to my lap!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Jaguar IS designing an XK replacement, although in 2016 it was considered off the table when I spoke with Ian Callum. Hope they listen to you guys. We'll see in a couple years!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Seems like lexus has already got the jump on the xk

Attached Thumbnails If Jaguar were redesigning the 5.0 XK Today what suggestions would you like to make?-cd5244985388776867567.jpg  
Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Lol, How bout simple inner door rain gutters! Cant tell you how many times Ive gotten my butt soaked just opening the door and having the roof water run straight down to my lap!
Exactly that as well! I have a microfibre cloth in the door pocket used to frantically mop water off the door electrics from experiencing this roof-draining 'feature'.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think most things are said.

Reliable engine and drive train

ZF 8 speed or double clutch system

Fully adjustable all wheel drive system

Real rear locking diff

I would like a car with no infotainment or any other displays but fully analog instruments. I want to keep the car. Infotainment systems and displays tend to get old / outdated very fast. I would like to have an interior that is timeless. Maybe an infotainment system you don't see but is expandable und updatebale; maybe is fully controlled by speech.

Last edited by Smallblock; 03-24-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
That is easily fixed with a "double lip" door seal. Hard to explain but there is an additional outer flap that comes up from the bottom to the top of the normal seal and it catches the run off and guides it down the sides of the door seal.

This was done on the Porsche 928 starting in 91(77-90 had normal seal), tried to find some pics showing the cross section, but it is dead simple when you see it and works like a charm. At first glance you never notice the difference...except when you exit the car during/after rain. If I can find a good pic I will post it.

That same year also added a rubber windshield side filler strip that reduces wind noise from the windshield dramatically and also helped with windshield washer fluid run off.

Cheers,

Dave

ralphwg (03-27-2018)