XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

While SoCal has her own way of putting it, I agree with some of the sentiment. The XK is now an 8-year-old design, and no car lasts forever. I suspect that they need to free up production capacity for the newer and higher-volume models - and it's those cars that keep JLR afloat, not the XK.

But is this the last Jaguar GT? I suspect not; it's simply a matter of priority. Given that Jaguar needs to get into the lucrative compact & SUV markets to avoid becoming an expensive niche brand, they have put their design budget & resources into the XE and (probably) whatever the SUV will be called. Once those are in production, there may be time to look at a new 'XK' (though the XF & XJ need an update too). In the meantime, the F-Type will take up some of the XK market.

Speculation - wonder if they might 'stretch' the F-Type to create a 2+2?

The following users liked this post:
SoCal Babe (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
I cant stop laughing about this thread. Why , oh , why is everyone on this thread seem like they are on their way to a wake.

It would be really helpful if people stopped "throwing" dirt on the xk. Until I bought my 2013 xkr I never imagined there could be a more cloistered bunch of guys than the ones on this forum. Circle the xk's, the hearse is cummin!!

This car is history cause jaguar corp realized their mistake and it was a huge mistake. The car appealed to individuals who dont drive marketing and dont drive sales.

Jaguar realized that the buyers of the xk series were at best an afterthought in the car market. (I bought the car cause it was too great of a bargain to pass up and I had the skills to make it into something the factory couldnt envision.)

When jaguar realized that they had to market their cars to 20 and 30 somethings, as in the f-type, the obit for the xk was inevitable.

Look at the new f-type coupe commercial. most of the guys in that commerecial are young studs who are perceived as villians. Most girls are attracted to bad boys just cause they aint nice. This commercial screams of that

The only old guy, Ben Kingsley, is considered a villian also. the leader of a bunch of sexy villians who exude nastiness. No where in this new ad do you see anyone that looks like they are going to Mcdonalds to meet the guys for coffee every morining or picking up the wife who has blue hair.

Bout time that Jaguar corp realized who they have to appeal to , in order to stay in business. On second thought, pass the shovel, please!!!!
I don't think a GT car ever appeals to the 20 or 30 somethings. Those types would happily trade in something sporty over something that tends to be comfortable and luxurious. Heck, many of the XK owners in this thread had careers in racing cars and later on decided that maybe it's time to have a car that won't beat me up on the street. I've sort of been a traitor to my own age group. My last few cars have all been cars where the average owner is well above 50 years of age. (Especially the X350--every time I saw one the driver was 80 years old!)

As for your relentless tirade against the lack of a marketing effort targeting young professional women--I think most young professional women are smart enough that they don't need an ad targeted specifically to them to want to buy something. Certainly my wife doesn't. You didn't, either, presumably.

I have to agree with you--the Superbowl ad sucked!

SoCal Babe (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Alan, you're just old before your time - better go & invest in some incontinence trousers, smartish!

Like I said, pigeon-holing XK owners/fans is a risky business; it's a broader church than some might think.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Warning: Hijack! Ngarara can make an ageist joke and nobody gets upset. Might it be that coming from a 37 year-old female we all get our egos bruised a little bit?

I remember a convention when the speaker, a young, and might I say beautiful, woman started her talk (to a group of mainly men) with a series of masturbation jokes. She was just about run out of town! It was like she was standing up there laughing at us all, pathetic sots we are. I don't think she was ever invited back. Regarding this, just because her father has BPH doesn't mean a woman can joke about it in a room full of men. It is a serious medical issue that robs us of our dignity and masculine performance. But while a little sensitivity would be nice, it would also behoove us to read her posts as simply those of another car enthusiast, without the sexist predisposition.

Back on topic, the McDonalds reference was funny because it was true. Except for this: one morning when I stopped in at Mickey Ds for breakfast a group of, what do you know, retired guys! called me over to sit with them and wanted to talk about my car. One of them drove the $150,000 Mercedes in the lot, one drove the cadillac. So how is this not a desirable demographic?

Also, the idea that advertising that appeals to a 20 year old won't appeal to a 50 year old is forgetting the fact that every 50 year old man still wants what every 20 year old man wants. And we all know what that is.

SoCal Babe (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Jaguar doesn't make the SS, XKSS, D Type, C Type XK 120, XK140, XK 150, etc yet they endure. Jaguars were never bought for their reliability and durability. All will continue to endure as long as they don't wonder too far from their roots and their soul.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Warning: Hijack! Ngarara can make an ageist joke and nobody gets upset.
Give 'em time

Sorry, I'm just a 'stirrer', as they say in my home patch.

SoCal Babe (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Jaguar has done well appealing to Boomers who are willing and able to purchase the style and price of the cars they've producede for decades. These folks are still buying expensive vehicles of all types, but other manufacturers have been luring them away with much more youthful offerings that appeal to them as much today as when they were 20 something. A number of XK members here owned an XK-E when they were quite young, I was just 20 and still in college, and So Cal Babe would have seemed old!

The F-Type and Jaguar's change in marketing style is Jaguar's response to both young and older buyers youthful preferences. It's more fluff than substance, with the F-Type being just a slightly shorter car without a back seat and incremental improvement in performance that each new Gen provides. It could have easily been the next Gen XK Series, released first as a 2 seater, with a 2+2 to follow. Using attractive young models with attitude in advertising is nothing new, but hopefully it somehow works for Jaguar. I'd have thought more change in substance would have worked out better.

The problem with the "old man" arguement is that these fossils are buying the hot, sporty and expensive cars today that many younger people can't afford, and they're continuing to shatter the "old" stereotypes for an awfully long time now. You won't find them lining up to buy the economical hot hatches, and sporty cars only large enough to carry their date, but I'd be surprised if any demographic was buying the hot higher-end hardware more than the older guys and gals who are young at heart. Not all older folks feel and act young, and you certainly see that diversity here, but my 55+ group of friends are buying hot cars and luxury items like never before.

Bruce

Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The problem with the "old man" arguement is that these fossils are buying the hot, sporty and expensive cars today that many younger people can't afford, and they're continuing to shatter the "old" stereotypes for an awfully long time now. Not all older folks feel and act young, and you certainly see that diversity here, but my 55+ group of friends are buying hot cars and luxury items like never before.

Bruce
That's because we are the ones who worked hard and saved the money. We are the demographic group that has the $$$$ to spend. We are living longer and our mindset is younger than ever before. Age 65, 70 and 75 is no longer considered old.

v8cat (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
That's because we are the ones who worked hard and saved the money. We are the demographic group that has the $$$$ to spend. We are living longer and our mindset is younger than ever before. Age 65, 70 and 75 is no longer considered old.
I was with you right up to the last part, Richard, and I hope I can agree with that also once I'm there

richzak (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Me, too. The arthritis in my right shoulder has really restricted my snow shoveling enjoyment this winter.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree Richard with your take! I am 66 retired 4 years ago and this 2011 xk vert is my first one. We own a class vehicle,one that take 2 weeks or so to bulid. Not one that you order today and pick it up in a week. We all worked hard and saved and planned to live the life style we like and we are the ones buying the Jaguars. We are the special market. We buy we don't payment buy and we don't need all the advertising because we know what we want and we go get it. We shall endure and so will Jaguar. Just think soon when someone states, "that's a beautiful car", we can reply "yes it is and they don't make them anymore".

The following 2 users liked this post by beh2010:
richzak (03-11-2014), v8cat (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 381 Likes on 255 Posts

I just turned 37 and I feel old as hell!! Holy smokes it's a mindset!!!

Ngarara (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
I agree Richard with your take! I am 66 retired 4 years ago and this 2011 xk vert is my first one. We own a class vehicle,one that take 2 weeks or so to bulid. Not one that you order today and pick it up in a week. We all worked hard and saved and planned to live the life style we like and we are the ones buying the Jaguars. We are the special market. We buy we don't payment buy and we don't need all the advertising because we know what we want and we go get it. We shall endure and so will Jaguar. Just think soon when someone states, "that's a beautiful car", we can reply "yes it is and they don't make them anymore".
Well said!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm only 32 and starting to feel old just by reading this thread. personally I think these cars will keep tanking in value. I can't believe I'm on my third xk and yes I took a beating when I sold the first 2 and will probably take a beating when I sell my current xk

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by russduka
I'm only 32 and starting to feel old just by reading this thread. personally I think these cars will keep tanking in value. I can't believe I'm on my third xk and yes I took a beating when I sold the first 2 and will probably take a beating when I sell my current xk
So much depends on how you bought the car originally. If you bought "new" you will be guaranteed to take a beating. This is been a topic of discussion in depth here for so many months.

If you bought used with low mileage and 2 to 3 years old, in excellent condition, the depreciation rate slows tremendously.

Due dilgence is extremely important when buying this brand.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
So much depends on how you bought the car originally. If you bought "new" you will be guaranteed to take a beating. This is been a topic of discussion in depth here for so many months.

If you bought used with low mileage and 2 to 3 years old, in excellent condition, the depreciation rate slows tremendously.

Due dilgence is extremely important when buying this brand.

I did buy new. can't get myself to buy used cars. I did get 25k off msrp on the xjl and xfr I purchased though as I know people in jaguar North America and can sometimes get what they call pin #'s which gets you the 25k off negotiated price of sale with dealer. currently trying to get a pin for an f type r and hoping if I can manage to keep my gt it might actually be worth something one day since it's a limited run

Lothar52 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Alan, you're just old before your time - better go & invest in some incontinence trousers, smartish!
I'm becoming lactose intolerant these days, so I may just take your advice!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
Personally, I think the same thing. I feel like the XK is one of those cars that went completely unknown to the general public and was never really highly acclaimed or popular.

However, the cars are very beautiful, produced in low quantities and are pretty unique. Are there any examples of cars produced in similar quantities as the XK/XKR that were under-appreciated while under production, only to gain popularity later?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Personally, I think the same thing. I feel like the XK is one of those cars that went completely unknown to the general public and was never really highly acclaimed or popular.

However, the cars are very beautiful, produced in low quantities and are pretty unique. Are there any examples of cars produced in similar quantities as the XK/XKR that were under-appreciated while under production, only to gain popularity later?
The XKE was one believe it or not.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is what I have noticed about the XKR. I located mine on autotrader.com and bought a used 2007 XKR Coupe in 2010. It had 29,000 miles on it. At the time I was researching XKR Coupes (2007-2008 models).. there would be at least a dozen to two dozen listed for sale at any given time. I gave $45,000 for mine. I occasionally peruse autotrader to see what a car like mine is selling for these days. Over the last 1-2 years, the number of XKR's for sale has dropped significantly. As of today there are NO 2007 models listed for sale, and only ONE 2008. And they are asking over $49,000!! I don't know what this means, but I'd say they are getting harder to come by.

Quick Reply: If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?