XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Manipulating value

My bf came up with the novel idea of inflating the value of xk models. He is a financial analyst. Xk owners need , according to the bf, a celebrity to buy an xk.

Just not any celebrity , but some one like Tupac. According to my bf, celebrities in the hip-hop genre and rap artists have caused unbelievable value inflation to vehicles they drive.

He pointed out the effect that rap stars had on the sale of 1994-1996 Impala SS. HE says every thug and gangsta type had to have an Impala SS.

THe burgundy color was the choice if you wanted to be seen. I had to ask him what a Polish-Italian financial analyst knew about gangsta rap, Since I never heard him listen to it and we dont have gangsta friends.

His answer, "I dont know anything about hip-hop, but I know what drives the value of stocks and commodities, and cars are a commodity. If a rap artist or hip-hop guy said an xk is the car to have then, the values of those cars would skyrocket overnite."

An interesting thing he said was that if say some "superstar" like Tupac got murdered in an xk (Tupac was killed on the street) Or drove it into a lite pole at 200mph, the xk's would then be the hottest car on the street to own.

Greed and need determine the value of commodities at the CME.

Bizarre circumstances determine the value of cars as rare commodities.

(Excluding cars like Paul Walker got killed in)

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

You're in luck! Britney Spears just bought one!

EDIT--nevermind that was last year...

Britney Spears Picks Up A New Jaguar XK | Celebrity Cars Blog

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Don't the guys on NCIS LA run around in a coupe.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

I am not sure that Brittany will raise the price of our cars.......at one time, she was smoking hot, and I would never have kicked her out of the sack, but now, well that's a different story. She will never be the same.

Keep in mind that the Jaguar XK has a tremendous history for the Jaguar brand. I seriously doubt that Jaguar will kill the heritage that they have built over the last 50+years with the XK.

There has been allot of speculation but nothing has surfaced that is considered concrete that Jaguar will indeed trash the XK in the years ahead. Just pure speculation. There is way to much history with the XK.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Yea, but she is still up walking around. Tupac is taking a dirt nap!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
Yea, but she is still up walking around. Tupac is taking a dirt nap!
So the idea is to raise our resale values by getting dead celebrities to buy XKs? Uh oh.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Jay Leno's got one - but then Jay has one of everything…

Having a car appear in a film or TV series certainly helps (sales of the XK8/R apparently went up after the Bond movie that featured one).

Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I am not sure that Brittany will raise the price of our cars.......at one time, she was smoking hot, and I would never have kicked her out of the sack, but now, well that's a different story. She will never be the same.

Keep in mind that the Jaguar XK has a tremendous history for the Jaguar brand. I seriously doubt that Jaguar will kill the heritage that they have built over the last 50+years with the XK.

There has been allot of speculation but nothing has surfaced that is considered concrete that Jaguar will indeed trash the XK in the years ahead. Just pure speculation. There is way to much history with the XK.
I don't know if Jaguar will get rid of the XK moniker, but I doubt it matters for resale of our X150s. Most people don't even know where the XK name comes from! I'm sure they will keep a GT in the lineup.

I see the X150 going the same route as the XJS and XK8/R before it. They will probably dip down to the $5-10k range, maybe $20k for the best example you can possibly find. Just speculating here!

Schwabe (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I second richzak and amcdonal86.

The XK will not go away, maybe a year hiatus until a new model comes out.

The way Jaguars have depreciated in the past I feel the XKs will follow the same path

richzak (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Should the XK/XKR take a year break in production, I strongly feel that it will re-emerge with a new design look to the front and rear ends, taking on a more modern appeal and close to the new F-Type style.

Jaguar still needs the sporty GT style of a car, as the XF, XJ, F-Types have a certain appeal, and consumer base.

The XK/XKR maintains the sport look, yet beautiful in luxury, but so different from the model styles.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I see the X150 going the same route as the XJS and XK8/R before it. They will probably dip down to the $5-10k range, maybe $20k for the best example you can possibly find. Just speculating here!
I wouldn't expect so because to my way of thinking the XJS and XK8 were poor as performance cars. Jaguar abandoned the performance GT when they stopped XKE production, and didn't start to get serious about it until '07 with the XKR, and then have steadily built on it. The value for XK is performance - related, with style and elegance. Base xk's will likely follow the path of the XJS and XK8. I don't think the Used XKE ever sold for less than 50 percent before going up, and up. A 1970 XKE sold new for $7000 in Canada, I bought one in decent condition in 1975 for $4200, owned it for a few years with no improvements, and in deteriorated condition sold for $6000 to a fellow who was going to restore it.

There is unlikely to be a more desirable high performance GT coming out of Europe in this class, so the 5L XKR may very well represent the best of a vanishing breed with a petrol engine, and that will make it highly collectible, along with some Astons.

MaximA (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

I don't know if Jaguar will get rid of the XK moniker, but I doubt it matters for resale of our X150s. Most people don't even know where the XK name comes from! I'm sure they will keep a GT in the lineup.

$5-10K range might be somewhat low, maybe for an abused high mileage car, but most decent well maintained XKs more likely would bottom out at the $15K+ range, but we are talking a decade from now. In the meantime, I would like to think that we would be enjoying our cars or why would we consider keeping them that long? Owning a Jaguar is not a good investment along with most high end specialty cars.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

I hope you're right about the $15k+ range. But maybe my XKR is already considered high mileage and abused...

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I purchased an '08 with low miles and even if its value dwindles to a few thousand, if I keep it as long as I think I will, it represents peanuts in terms of ownership cost. Anyone buying a new one probably loses more in the first year of ownership than I paid for mine. That's the insanity of how much these cars depreciate the first few years. To be honest, and I'm just expressing my own personal view, I doubt I'd be any more enamored with a brand spanking new XK than I am with my 6 year old version. Certainly not $70k worth.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I purchased an '08 with low miles and even if its value dwindles to a few thousand, if I keep it as long as I think I will, it represents peanuts in terms of ownership cost. Anyone buying a new one probably loses more in the first year of ownership than I paid for mine. That's the insanity of how much these cars depreciate the first few years. To be honest, and I'm just expressing my own personal view, I doubt I'd be any more enamored with a brand spanking new XK than I am with my 6 year old version. Certainly not $70k worth.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I'm thinking about it another way. Am I any happier with my '07 XKR at $35k than I would've been with a V12 XJS at $8-10k? Keep in mind the XJS is already fully depreciated and the XKR is not.

I tend not to drive my cars into the ground--that would be traumatizing for me!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'm thinking about it another way. Am I any happier with my '07 XKR at $35k than I would've been with a V12 XJS at $8-10k?
Yes, I am... The XJS drives so antiquated by today's standards.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

So does an E-Type!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

So does an E-Type!
But only one offers it in a really good way, and a mind-blowing driving experience to boot!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

I have not driven an XJS (or an E Type) so I will reserve my judgment. If I got an XJS, I'd swap the transmission for a manual one.

The XJS doesn't get enough credit, in my opinion. It had a few very successful seasons in the European Touring Car Championship!

Quick Reply: If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?