XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have not driven an XJS (or an E Type) so I will reserve my judgment. If I got an XJS, I'd swap the transmission for a manual one.

The XJS doesn't get enough credit, in my opinion. It had a few very successful seasons in the European Touring Car Championship!
I owned a 96 XJS. It is prehistoric compared to these XK/R's in every way.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
The XJS doesn't get enough credit, in my opinion. It had a few very successful seasons in the European Touring Car Championship!
Yes, though obviously the touring car version was a far cry from the road-going car. I was fortunate to see the very last race that the XJ-S competed in before its homologation ran out 1n 1987, at Pukekohe in NZ. The banshee wail from the V12 as it hammered down the back straight was just wonderful. And those boys knew how to drive it, too; here's one of them on his qually lap at Bathurst in Oz (think it may have been Tom Walkinshaw):

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?-xjs-2-wheels.jpg

Yup, he has it on 2 wheels.

But I digress. The relative simplicity of the XJ-S or the E-Type compared to current cars means they can be repaired & maintained by mechanical and electrical technicians. Even the XK8 has a relatively small computer element and has traditional electrical systems for most things.

But how will we keep an X150 alive in 10-15 years time? The diagnostic and maintenance software tools won't run on the hardware and operating systems in use then. Not only will we have to maintain the cars, we'll have to coax into life elderly laptops running outmoded software - we may be able to use virtual machines instead, but ancient device drivers don't always work in those environments. And with all the security checks that go on, you can't just swap in used parts from other cars if you can't tell the car to accept them via the diagnostics.

I hope I'm wrong, and that indy shops and dedicated enthusiasts will find a way. But it does concern me, because (assuming I'm still around), I may be one of the people trying to keep a 'classic' X150 on the road. I owned both of my last 2 cars for 13 years, so I have "previous form" for long ownership.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
jahummer (02-26-2014), Stormdk (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
I owned a 96 XJS. It is prehistoric compared to these XK/R's in every way.
I'm coming to the realization recently that when cars get very old, what makes them interesting is not how well they drive. It has more to do with the beauty, the rarity and the history of the model. (I mean how many times have you gone to a classic car event and said, oh man that car drives like hell compared to my 2014 XK...?)

Not to say that the X150 doesn't hit the mark on these three things, but I don't think the X150 is another E-Type. Is it widely recognized as a groundbreaking car compared to the competition?

A 1980s XJS V12 is about $10k in pretty good shape these days. Those are 30 years old at this point. In 2035, I predict X150s will also be about $10k for a good example (adjust for inflation).

Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
Just curious how the 3000GT VR4s, 93+ SupraTT, BMW 850s are doing since they were discontinued? Maybe it'll be an indication of the current X150s if they were discontinued.

I doubt it would appreciate or hold it's value like the CGT, Gen 3 Viper ACR or Ford GTs as these are considered (already) collector cars but I hope I'm wrong. I know the Ford GTs are going for around $130k-$150k used which is about the same or better than new.

I haven't read this whole post yet but being a used classic car dealer these cars listed are just now showing appreciation but...... the only ones that do are completely stock low mileage ones. Supra's still have a hard core following so those so tend to run higher but it all, at this time, comes down to mileage and condition. For investment sake, if you can buy any of these now and hold them for 10 years you will be in great shape.

On another note, I believe IF and I sure hope not, Jag discontinues the XK that only, again, low mileage stock ones will increase in value in the future whenever that might be. Where I am here in AZ, the 96-06 XK coupes are worth more than the converts because they made like 4X's as many converts and given the amount they produced its doubtful they will ever become true classics.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I still see those cars as (relatively) less-complex than an XK from a maintenance perspective. Of course, what we need to know is how a complicated, computer-driven car has aged, and how hard it is to keep it running. After all, your classic is only worth something if it can be driven (static displays excepted). The problem is, I can't think of any appropriate examples, because such cars haven't been around long enough to fall off the manufacturer-support radar.

The only benchmark I have for an electronically complex classic is the Aston Martin Lagonda. When it came out, its dashboard display technology (based on multiple small CRT screens) was state-of-the-art. But I've seen the complete nightmare someone went through trying to restore the system, and it didn't even have a lot of software to mess with. OK, that was a bespoke platform for a small manufacturer, and the documentation was sketchy, but it gives me cause for concern.

Anyone got any more-comforting examples?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

either way the electronics do not convey any confidence in me that I would want a Jag outside of the warranty with the issues they are having.
My 2011 XF SC is in today for the third time for a "tire cannot be monitored" and "TPMS system not available" error. Software updates done, parts replaced, this gremlin is coming back. On my 2012 XKR-S I had two failed steering sensors in a row which throws the DSC/ E-Diff not available warning. Dealer said that the first one could have been just a faulty one and the second sensor could have been damaged by them installing the suede steering wheel. WHA'EVVA ...

It is not a biggy for me as my Jaguar dealership is on my way to work and warranty is taken care off. I drop off the car after work and pick a loaner, good to go.

I would never even consider buying a Jag outside of the warranty. If I owned one for 5 years and know its little idiosyncracies, fine I am willing to go past the 5 years but I would never buy a 5 year old with the current electronic system.

Shocking is that we see the same stupid electronic issue popping up on F Types now. This should have been remedied by now or a switch to different system made ...

I commute in a 2012 Prius IV. What a marvel of technology and electronics. In two years I accumulated 55,000 miles and only have oil changes every 10,000. Easiest car I ever owned to drive. The key always stays inside the car, battery is fine, no failures, no hickups, no repairs... and boring as fudge ... the drive for MPG has worn of, lifetime it is at 52MPG crusing at 74MPH on mostly highway.

This does not sway me from buying another new or almost new Jag as long as I have 3-5 years of warranty to sort things out and learn how to remedy the issues myself but an old one out of warranty I would not touch with a ten foot pole ... but that is just me and my humble opionion.

Last edited by Schwabe; 02-27-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

I, too, am a little surprised that the F-Type is having similar electrical gremlins. As does the XJ.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
... but an old one out of warranty I would not touch with a ten foot pole ... but that is just me and my humble opionion.
Perhaps this is why I was able to purchase an 08' XK with 28k miles and not a mark on it, for $60k below its sticker price. That's 33% of its original value. That differential pays for a lot of repairs.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Perhaps this is why I was able to purchase an 08' XK with 28k miles and not a mark on it, for $60k below its sticker price. That's 33% of its original value. That differential pays for a lot of repairs.
I paid $60K below new on my 2012 XKR-S and the warranty was punched 09/13, which leaves me over 4 years of warranty and paid service ....

Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Schwabe, that's phenomenal. Thankfully, there's somebody out there buying new.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

I find it funny how XK owners on this forum are so proud about how much off the original MSRP sticker they purchased their car for. Personally, I take the opposite approach and like it when people who are not informed, think my car is new or close to it and I might be a very wealthy man to afford such an expensive car!

Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Reality is that the car loses value at a rapid pace. I would hate to lose some $30K in the first year on a car like this (that is a wholelotta mods). That is reality. Now my XKR-S is rare and triggers questions and photos taken wherever I stop. Nobody knows how much I paid and most likely I will never be parked next to another one. There were some 25,000 Gallardos built but only about 200+ of the XKR-Ss have made it to the US. So even at car meets people who know cars will flock to this car because they know how rare it is.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

There are people out there for whom $30,000 is pocket change.

My problem is when the inevitable question of, "how much does one of those cost?"comes up. Do I say what it retails for? Do I say it's current market value? My answer always tends to be something like, "uh, uh, well if you get it used it's not as expensive as you might think..."

Why the heck am I so apologetic about driving a car that looks like I spent twice as much as I did for it? I look forward to the day I can say, "well, they don't make them anymore. So it's priceless."

Last edited by Muddydog; 02-27-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog

My problem is when the inevitable question of, "how much does one of those cost?"comes up. Do I say what it retails for? Do I say it's current market value? My answer always tends to be something like, "uh, uh, well if you get it used it's not as expensive as you might think..."

Why the heck am I so apologetic about driving a car that looks like I spent twice as much as I did for it? I look forward to the day I can say, "well, they don't make them anymore. So it's priceless."
You tell them what the MSRP was when new.....that's the true value of the car when produced. Let them think your a real "rich cat".

Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Even to those individuals who have a high net worth, $30,000 is alot of money.

Most people with a high net worth simply do not throw money away, unless they fall into the category of "extreme net worth" which is usually $10,000,000 or more.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

At my local car show I have talked with guys that think nothing of wiring $2-3 million for a car, sight unseen.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

My answer is "I forget".

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

For me it depends, a boy at the gas station, somebody on the board here who thinks I over paid, some gear head at a car meet, snite friends who think I live like a rock star (I easily double the MSRP) ... colleagues at work ... this car comes in all sorts of prices ...

Lothar52 (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 AM

The answer to such questions should be:

"If you forgive me for not telling you, then I'll forgive you for asking."

Lothar52 (02-28-2014)

Quick Reply: If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?