XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I always say, less than you would expect.... and 1/4 of a new aston martin (vanquish it was I mean - which is what you need to beat it). Then they just stare at me like that means nothing to them... I just hope its as good of car in the future as it is today.. The tale of time will take just that!!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about you guys, but I just enjoy tootling about town in my XK8 coupe which is near pristine (platinum, '05). It's a joy to drive, not to mention a real head turner. It's been one of the most reliable Jags I have owned (3) with very few problems. As a lot of you have said, I too would hate to see the XK line dropped in favor of the F-Type. At least the 2+2 configuration gives the XK series some practicality ... just wish Jaguar would make the rear seats allow at least 3" more of leg room so one could get a small adult, or 2, in the back. Giving up a bit of trunk space & rear "hat shelf" space should be an easy engineering design job ???? And as far as resale price, I don't look for any large (or small) depreciation dollar amount than what the market is currently showing. Just drive & enjoy!!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't forget convertible v Coupe. Convertibles always hold more value.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyzr
I dunno about you guys, but I just enjoy tootling about town in my XK8 coupe which is near pristine (platinum, '05). It's a joy to drive, not to mention a real head turner. It's been one of the most reliable Jags I have owned (3) with very few problems. As a lot of you have said, I too would hate to see the XK line dropped in favor of the F-Type. At least the 2+2 configuration gives the XK series some practicality ... just wish Jaguar would make the rear seats allow at least 3" more of leg room so one could get a small adult, or 2, in the back. Giving up a bit of trunk space & rear "hat shelf" space should be an easy engineering design job ???? And as far as resale price, I don't look for any large (or small) depreciation dollar amount than what the market is currently showing. Just drive & enjoy!!
Well done.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
Don't forget convertible v Coupe. Convertibles always hold more value.
You would think so. I tried Autotrader.com trade-in marketplace. The first time I filled it out, I accidentally put coupe instead of convertible. The offer was about $100 lower than the convertible offer!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't think any of our cars younger than an E Type are going to reach classic status in our lifetimes, but here is something else to ponder. Was it built at Browns Lane and does it look and feel like a Jaguar inside and out or a chrome and carbon fiber impression of a pimped up Camaro with Jaguar emblems.

Last edited by Excalibur2012; 03-04-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
I don't think any of our cars younger than an E Type are going to reach classic status in our lifetimes,
Depends how old you are, I suppose!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2008 XKR Portfolio

I don't think any of our cars younger than an E Type are going to reach classic status in our lifetimes, but here is something else to ponder. Was it built at Browns Lane and does it look and feel like a Jaguar inside and out or a chrome and carbon fiber impression of a pimped up Camaro with Jaguar emblems.
Excalibur,
You may not like the looks of the newer model XK but I think it will go down in history for one of the most advanced Jaguars ever produced in a GT version. The aluminum body reduced the weight over 600 pounds and because of the rigidity of the body it improved handling and ride greatly. Like the Corvette, when new ideas are put in the real world people remember. IMHO

Attached Thumbnails If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?-img_20130906_185230_743.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

What Jaguars are you thinking look like that? My 2010 XKR has less chrome on it than my XK-E did, and neither had any carbon fiber. The similarity in look, feel and soul of the two are unmistakeable, and rather amazing considering the 50 year age difference!

Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Was it built at Browns Lane and does it look and feel like a Jaguar inside and out
Mine was built at Castle Bromwich by blokes with the same Brummie accents as the guys at Browns Lane, and I bought it from Guy Salmon Jaguar in Coventry, a little over a mile from Browns Lane. Yup, feels like a Jag to me.

Whether a car becomes a 'classic' is not necessarily a function of how much it costs or how well built it is. It's an emotional thing. People love & cherish their VW Beetles & vans, and they were neither expensive nor high-quality (though my '54 oval-window was tough as a tank). The XJ-S was expensive but earlier ones often had poor build quality - yet I still feel more attachment to my (long-departed) XJ-S than I do to my far-better XK8, which I sold last year.

How will I feel about the XKR in 10 years, assuming I last that long? Dunno, though it's sufficiently exciting to drive that I'm sure I will associate it with some great memories. As I keep saying, my greater concern is how well it will be running, when all the diagnostic equipment required is 10 years out of date.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Mine was built at Castle Bromwich by blokes with the same Brummie accents as the guys at Browns Lane, and I bought it from Guy Salmon Jaguar in Coventry, a little over a mile from Browns Lane. Yup, feels like a Jag to me.

Whether a car becomes a 'classic' is not necessarily a function of how much it costs or how well built it is. It's an emotional thing. People love & cherish their VW Beetles & vans, and they were neither expensive nor high-quality (though my '54 oval-window was tough as a tank). The XJ-S was expensive but earlier ones often had poor build quality - yet I still feel more attachment to my (long-departed) XJ-S than I do to my far-better XK8, which I sold last year.

How will I feel about the XKR in 10 years, assuming I last that long? Dunno, though it's sufficiently exciting to drive that I'm sure I will associate it with some great memories. As I keep saying, my greater concern is how well it will be running, when all the diagnostic equipment required is 10 years out of date.

I hope the techs at local Jag dealerships see the PROFIT in managing these cars after Jaguar has moved on from them.... I for one will pay to make sure that sweet sounding V8 is up to snuff right till the day they say the frame or engine cant take another mile - Then I will bury her in the garden and hire a band!!!! Thats how much love we have for these cars. The head unit and power windows and etc..etc will ultimately go for broke before the engine or frame in my opinion. If they cant be replaced will it mean the end of the car as a whole??? At any rate, the cars will be worth nothing as Jaguar will surpass them and they will be left for dead - but we will always love them as long as we can tote around in them and feel special .

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
Ngarara (03-05-2014), richzak (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Well said Lothar!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I hope the techs at local Jag dealerships see the PROFIT in managing these cars after Jaguar has moved on from them….
I pin my hopes on the dedicated independents, not the dealers. Dealers move on to the next model, and if the parts aren't available from Jaguar, they aren't really interested. My indy garage is staffed by Jag enthusiasts and will source pattern, refurbished and second-hand parts where that's cost-effective against new. They won't do it if it will compromise safety or reliability, but if you can get a serviceable part that is either unobtainable or outrageously expensive from Jaguar, why not? And they are more likely to hold on to the necessary diagnostic and programming tools, too.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I pin my hopes on the dedicated independents, not the dealers. Dealers move on to the next model, and if the parts aren't available from Jaguar, they aren't really interested. My indy garage is staffed by Jag enthusiasts and will source pattern, refurbished and second-hand parts where that's cost-effective against new. They won't do it if it will compromise safety or reliability, but if you can get a serviceable part that is either unobtainable or outrageously expensive from Jaguar, why not? And they are more likely to hold on to the necessary diagnostic and programming tools, too.
I am moving to London to bunk with you mate!! XKRS and XKR in tow as well

Ryan

Ngarara (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

So I tend to do an Autotrader.com instant trade-in offer appraisal on my cars every couple weeks or so just to keep an eye on real world trade-in values. Since last month, the offer went up $700. So maybe a lot of this "depreciation" I was complaining about is just seasonal variation in convertible wholesale prices...

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

around summer time our cars become worth a TON more... fall and winter... forget about it...

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
around summer time our cars become worth a TON more... fall and winter... forget about it...
Loved the fall weather in Columbus. That was my favorite season when I lived there (plus being football season). Winter not so much.

Lothar52 (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
Just curious how the 3000GT VR4s, 93+ SupraTT, BMW 850s are doing since they were discontinued? Maybe it'll be an indication of the current X150s if they were discontinued.

I doubt it would appreciate or hold it's value like the CGT, Gen 3 Viper ACR or Ford GTs as these are considered (already) collector cars but I hope I'm wrong. I know the Ford GTs are going for around $130k-$150k used which is about the same or better than new.
As we know the Supra has done well and it's value is strong. The 3000 vr4 it's weak in comparison and the 8 series is what I'll call okay for the price point. The XK8 will probably fall in the category of ok for a while.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I purchased an '08 with low miles and even if its value dwindles to a few thousand, if I keep it as long as I think I will, it represents peanuts in terms of ownership cost. Anyone buying a new one probably loses more in the first year of ownership than I paid for mine. That's the insanity of how much these cars depreciate the first few years. To be honest, and I'm just expressing my own personal view, I doubt I'd be any more enamored with a brand spanking new XK than I am with my 6 year old version. Certainly not $70k worth.
Totally agree with you here.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 890 Posts

I think that the end of production has now been made official. My apologies if this has already been posted.

Quick Reply: If the XK/XKR is Discontinued-What are our cars worth?