XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

If you want a little more growl for not a big price.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by htrdlncn
Been racing cars ,boats and building engines since I was 16,, I am almost 60 now..
I was building Lotus Esprits,442 Oldsmobiles and offshore raceboats when I was 18 ..
If you really think a small bypass like what I did at the rear of a complete exhaust system will affect/burn engine valves you have no clue at all how an engine works..
As for the tire tread ,they are full thread ,,have less than 1000 miles on them..They are supposed to look like that..
Yall have a great night !
I like the concept and even though it is a little rough it is functional. It would be good to improve on it with a smoother flow like a Y attachment and a larger exhaust tip. Good job as all designs start with a prototype.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Very cool, if it accomplished what you wanted then it is all good as-is. When you hit sport mode you are getting X% of straight pipe exhaust so see no need to treat this as a prototype, seems you are good to go. Don't think you could determine exact percentage as the back pressure from the muffler would perhaps push a it more through your bypass, but who cares this is a subjective sound mod. If it works for your ears then good job!!!

I am not going to harsh you over tires and valves, I will just say CLEAN YOUR CAR MAN! I jest, that is a consequence of someone who actually gets their car on the road regularly.

I once had an engine bay picture where I caught grief because it wasn't clean enough on another board, figure I pass it forward.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

Tampamark
supposed to be raining thru end of weekend , really no point in cleaning it till
then,,yes it is my daily driver but it is normally decently clean,,just had
it polished,waxed and detailed a few weeks back.

Jaagtoes
yes it is strictly a sound mod, that little extra flow that far back in the system will not affect
engine in any way,it is not the same as removing the entire rear muffler in any way,
the smaller 2" pipe we used for the sport side bypass still provides some back pressure.
As restrictive as the catalytics are on this car I can feel fairly certain there has been little change
to anything except for the sound and then only when I hit the sport button.
Its fits my personality,, it is quiet and refined when I want and loud and brashy when I feel the need.
I personally do not care for a loud exhaust all the time, sometimes I just want peace and quiet, I really love having control of that thru the sport switch.
Think it should be an option on any car with a good sounding engine
When the weather clear up I may do some back to back 0-60 tests with sport on and then with sport off just to show there is no power difference.

Last edited by htrdlncn; 04-30-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

I hear you Hot Rod Lincoln, once you get dirty and it will keep on raining not much use in cleaning. I have the luxury of only taking the Jag out of the garage when it is nice and use the SUV all other times. It stays outside anyway. Sometimes if I just cleaned the Jag and the Wife is going to go out in the rain I have to redirect her to the SUV, she thinks I am being silly. Usually she complies. I gave her the business the other day after a fresh cleaning to avoid the sprinkler overspray on the roads. I told her she would have to wipe down any splatters and inspected it when she got home, all in fun as I made a dramatic show of the analysis. She was not impressed with my micro-management.

I like your solution, very clever, I have seen other boards where people add a remote exhaust bypass valve and have to route a switch (now they have the wireless switches) into the cabin. Being able to springboard off the existing system is nice.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:09 PM

Ha! I can believe she was not impressed

Yes,exactly , having that option of loud or soft is great, many newer cars like the Corvette and Mustangs have this incorporated.

I have kept everything I have taken off or modified so when I sell car it would only take a couple hours to return everything to original.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
I hear you Hot Rod Lincoln, once you get dirty and it will keep on raining not much use in cleaning. I have the luxury of only taking the Jag out of the garage when it is nice and use the SUV all other times. It stays outside anyway. Sometimes if I just cleaned the Jag and the Wife is going to go out in the rain I have to redirect her to the SUV, she thinks I am being silly. Usually she complies. I gave her the business the other day after a fresh cleaning to avoid the sprinkler overspray on the roads. I told her she would have to wipe down any splatters and inspected it when she got home, all in fun as I made a dramatic show of the analysis. She was not impressed with my micro-management.

I like your solution, very clever, I have seen other boards where people add a remote exhaust bypass valve and have to route a switch (now they have the wireless switches) into the cabin. Being able to springboard off the existing system is nice.
I used to think like this until I realize that when I die the next guy will get a good cheap deal. Reminds me of my aunt who would put clear plastic covers on her new couch. She died and they threw out a brand new couch. Life is short enjoy the ride and take it to the car wash

Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Ha, you interpreted my statement as I try to preserve my car. Just the opposite, in Florida there are stretches where it rains every day. Because of that it will stay dirty like Hot Rod's car and I do the same as him, no use in cleaning it but it does get used, albeit shamefully dirty. When I do get it nice and cleaned up and we have a rare non-rain span I don't intentionally take it out and get it mucked up. Easy to dodge the occasional shower. There is smart and there is stupid, washing the car and then taking it directly into the neighborhood recycled **** hardwater sprinklers or going out during the only 2 hours it rained that week would be in the latter category.

Plus you are assuming I am short changing my life experience by driving the SUV. This may be hard for some to comprehend, but I am as happy driving my Grand Cherokee as the Jag. Comfortable ride, well executed vehicle in every way, plus I bought the most luxurious trim with the best leather package. I have had more compliments on the color and quality of the interior of my JGC than my Jag!

Switching between two distinctly different vehicles that I enjoy makes me appreciate each of them even more.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Ha, you interpreted my statement as I try to preserve my car. Just the opposite, in Florida there are stretches where it rains every day. Because of that it will stay dirty like Hot Rod's car and I do the same as him, no use in cleaning it but it does get used, albeit shamefully dirty. When I do get it nice and cleaned up and we have a rare non-rain span I don't intentionally take it out and get it mucked up. Easy to dodge the occasional shower. There is smart and there is stupid, washing the car and then taking it directly into the neighborhood recycled **** hardwater sprinklers or going out during the only 2 hours it rained that week would be in the latter category.

Plus you are assuming I am short changing my life experience by driving the SUV. This may be hard for some to comprehend, but I am as happy driving my Grand Cherokee as the Jag. Comfortable ride, well executed vehicle in every way, plus I bought the most luxurious trim with the best leather package. I have had more compliments on the color and quality of the interior of my JGC than my Jag!

Switching between two distinctly different vehicles that I enjoy makes me appreciate each of them even more.
Enjoy the ride.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Tampamark
nothing wrong with the right SUV,,I had a SAAB 9-7x AERO ,,which is basically a rebadged Trailblazer SS,,
with 400hp LS2 AWD,20" wheels and sport suspension it was a blast to drive and hurt a lot of sporty car feelings too.
and I would kill to have a Trackhawk Grand Cherokee with the hellcat engine but just way to pricey for my pockets
Id be hooning it around like Richard Hammond all the time,Ha!

Old 05-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

I have never heard of such a beast, had to look that Saab up. Learn something new every day!!!

The following users liked this post:
htrdlncn (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM

very few made,,they threw a saab nose on a Trailblazer SS and charged an extra 20k,,not many bought then new
but when SAAB went out of business you could pcik them up for peanuts because everyone thought you couldnt get parts
for it not realizing its all GM .
Evrytime I would get gas some good ole boy would comment "That dont sound like no SAAB" LOL!

Last edited by htrdlncn; 05-01-2021 at 05:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by htrdlncn:
jons (05-02-2021), tampamark (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by htrdlncn
wrong XKRAU..
1. I dont need to remove anything to open the exhaust,I just hit the sport button.
It is actually the Dynamic mode button that opens the exhaust, not the Sport button.

When I first got my '10 XKR I monitored the valve using SDD and only Dynamic mode made it open permanently.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
It is actually the Dynamic mode button that opens the exhaust, not the Sport button.

When I first got my '10 XKR I monitored the valve using SDD and only Dynamic mode made it open permanently.
To further on this, there is no Sport Button either, it is a selection on the transmission dial, at least in my '12 XK. But I believe we all knew what he was saying just by the word button since there is only one for making the car sportier (or dynamicier).

Old 05-02-2021, 11:49 AM

Ooops!!
Yes,,I was using the wrong terminology,,I meant the button with the little flag on it,,just used to my other cars that
had a sport button..

Drove it today for first time without rain,, now there is a very marked difference between exhaust opened and closed,
as in it is much louder in open mode than before,so that little bit of sound material in the box that the open side
goes thru does make a difference.. Now I have quiet mode and beast mode..before it was quiet mode and a little less quiet mode,

peterv8 (05-02-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 PM

finally had time to get a sound clip,,my phone doesnt have a good microphone so had to put it a bit away so it wouldnt distort the sound,it was about 15 feet away,any closer it it just sounded distroted,,exhaust is very loud,,this is stock exhaust with outer pipe bypassing muffler completely when in Dynamic mode
( if you read thru the thread you will see pics of stock xkr setup where outside pipe STILL goes thru part of the muffler in Dynamic mode or if you pull the fuse)
When it not in Dynamic mode it sounds exactly like stock,since it is in fact stock.

Last edited by htrdlncn; 10-25-2021 at 05:40 PM.
peterv8 (10-26-2021)