XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Hey ICE, good to keep in mind but Alpine has done well by me imho, the new loaner they gave me today is a brand new 12 XF Portfolio with cooled seats and 16 miles on the odo...very good of them to do this as the loaner they first gave me didn't have cooled seats. Every loaner has run great, no miss or stumle when cold at all.

What did you finally decide on?
Haven't decided yet. I'm still saving up to buy a car. I don't want payments so I need to save approx 150K. That's for the car and modifications i want to make. Since I'm not rich it's gonna take time. Unless one of my money making ideas takes off.

I really have the XKR on the brain and I'm reasonably sure that's it. But, you never know. The GTR is hard to turn away from. I'm shooting for September.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope it happens sooner than later for you. I know the GTR got a facelift for 12, when is the new platform due?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by RJC
Hope it happens sooner than later for you. I know the GTR got a facelift for 12, when is the new platform due?
I believe the GTR gets a new look in 2014.
Not really concerned about that. I like the current model and don't believe it can be made much better. Some newer designs are not improvements imo. We'll see how it goes.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
Haven't decided yet. I'm still saving up to buy a car. I don't want payments so I need to save approx 150K. That's for the car and modifications i want to make. Since I'm not rich it's gonna take time. Unless one of my money making ideas takes off.

I really have the XKR on the brain and I'm reasonably sure that's it. But, you never know. The GTR is hard to turn away from. I'm shooting for September.
Seems like it should be an easy choice to me. The GTR and the XKR are totally different cars. What type of car are you looking for?
Ironically even with that name, the GTR really isnt as much a GT car as a sports car. The XKR is definately a GT car not a sports car.
If track-like performance is your most important criteria and/or you're really looking for a sports car get the GTR, you wont be sorry.
If art, style, grace, luxury, comfort and a convertible option together come out more important than 0-60 times and/or you want a grown-ups car rather than something that looks & feels like a playstation, get the XKR.
If it was me considering a new car at this point I'd be impatiently sitting on my hands for the very few months left to check out the F Type before I made a purchasing decision. I have a feeling it will be something special.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Seems like it should be an easy choice to me. The GTR and the XKR are totally different cars. What type of car are you looking for?
Ironically even with that name, the GTR really isnt as much a GT car as a sports car. The XKR isn't.
If track-like performance is your most important criteria and/or you're really looking for a sports car get the GTR, you wont be sorry.
If art, style, grace, luxury, comfort are together more important than 0-60 times and/or you want a grown-ups car rather than something that looks/drives like a playstation, get the XKR.
If it was me considering a new car purchase at this point I'd be impatiently sitting on my hands for the very few months left to check out the F Type before I made a purchasing decision. I have a feeling it will be something special.
Actually I might also be looking to test drive a Lotus Evora and maybe even a Fisker Karma.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
Ironically even with that name, the GTR really isnt as much a GT car as a sports car. The XKR isn't.
If art, style, grace, luxury, comfort are together more important than 0-60 times and/or you want a grown-ups car rather than something that looks/drives like a playstation, get the XKR.
Those are the same views as a track buddy who owns one. Awesome on the track, but he finds rather uncomfortable for other uses. He prefers to drive his wife's C350 sedan for non-track uses, and when he drove my XKR he just couldn't get over how nice it was...almost in disbelief that a car could have such a blend of performance, comfort and luxury.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Late to the party but surely you are using lemon law.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the SL

Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Chaos236
Congrats on the SL
Thanks very much...dealership intervined on my behalf and got me out of my lease but I could have easily gone the LL route and maybe should have as others in the XJ forum did; they were allowed to keep driving thier lemon until the replacement came in which allowed them to keep all the terms etc of their lease/financing the same not having to renegotiate whcih would be unfavorable.

Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

GTR is a little lacking in exterior grace and the interior does not seem fitting to the price. Performance wise, I can't imagine a car being much faster than a GTR.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by JustNiz
If it was me considering a new car purchase at this point I'd be impatiently sitting on my hands for the very few months left to check out the F Type before I made a purchasing decision. I have a feeling it will be something special.
Actually I might also be looking to test drive a Lotus Evora and maybe even a Fisker Karma.
It was an easy choice until hearing that some newer Jags are having cylinder issues. Worse that Jag is slow to resolve the issue. I believe the Jag is perfect for my tastes. I like luxury with sport, luxury first. Not because of some frivolous reason, more because it suits me. I'm 6-2, around 260 lbs. I've owned less quality cars and my big feet would wear a groove into the carpet. My big butt would wear out the surface of the seats....and so on. Get the picture. I need good quality cars.
I also like spirited driving at times. But when I'm not weaving through traffic I want to relax, turn up the music and be comfortable.
I also like the semi-exotic look of the XKR. The loooong hood and short rear. Sensuous curves. The XKR is the right car but the elephant in the room is the reliability.
The GTR had a problem with launch control but that has been resolved. Everything else I've heard it that its as reliable as any other Japanese car. I can make it more luxurious by changing out the interior. I've seen it done. My choice of suspension mods will make it more daily driver friendly and my choice of wheels and coloring cam make it more mature.

Either car will work for me but the GTR being more reliable make it really attractive. A friend of mine, same age range, loves his GTR. He drives it everyday. Got rid of his Lexus, too. That tells me the GTR can handle daily duty.

Bottom line, I swoon everytime I see an XKR.
I don't get the same reaction to the GTR but I know its a heck of a car.
One gets to the heart.
The other gets to my head.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 PM
RJC

ICE, maybe wait for the F-TypeR, could be everything you want/need?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It was an easy choice until hearing that some newer Jags are having cylinder issues. Worse that Jag is slow to resolve the issue..
To be clear, there was only one person on the XJ forum who had a cylinder issue with his 2011 XJ. That's it. One. They gave him a replacement car. Out of how many tens of thousands of cars sold, we know of one confirmed cylinder issue. A couple of other people on the XJ forum had misfire issues, but they weren't cylinder issues and they were corrected very quickly and easily.

RJC doesn't know what was causing his car to misfire. He has only speculated.

So, let's not make up chronic problems with Jaguars that don't exist.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 PM
RJC

A few others on the XJ forum are having the same misfire and chose for now to live with it. The shop foreman of my dealership said it was either valve guides or a cylinder issue which would require a replacement head or engine. It is not an easy fix as if it was my car would have been repaired and returned to me weeks ago and the other persons car was in the shop for +/-2 months. Hopefully Jaguar will isolate the vin range soon and correct the issue with their parts supplier and notify affected owners.

Last edited by RJC; 05-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ICE, you really should consider buying RJC's car from Alpine. The engine misfire will soon be resolved even if that means a new engine. The car has now depreciated sufficiently to make this a killer deal, for what is essentially a new car with new tyres and very low wear and tear.

I would have no hesitation in buying it after Jag have fixed it.

SL550 or XJR or GTR, all nice cars, but in my opinion (for what it's worth) there is just no contest.

It's unlikely that Alpine are out of pocket on this situation as it will all be underwritten by Jag.

Go one ICE, grab yourself a bargain........

Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the only thread that I am aware of from the XJ forum that discusses the problem of a cold start misfire:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...new-car-63871/

There was no one in that thread who was choosing to "live with it." The fix, that Jaguar was well aware of, was to replace a fuel injector. That worked for everyone, except for the one person who had a cylinder issue. For that person, they ultimately fixed his car, and they gave him a loaner for the entire time it took to fix his car, but after it was all over, he asked for a new car anyway, and they gave it to him. He didn't even have to go the Lemon Law route.

I'm only pointing this out so that people who read this forum don't get a distorted idea of what's going with this issue that affected some cars.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rouseslane
ICE, you really should consider buying RJC's car from Alpine. The engine misfire will soon be resolved even if that means a new engine. The car has now depreciated sufficiently to make this a killer deal, for what is essentially a new car with new tyres and very low wear and tear.

I would have no hesitation in buying it after Jag have fixed it.

SL550 or XJR or GTR, all nice cars, but in my opinion (for what it's worth) there is just no contest.

It's unlikely that Alpine are out of pocket on this situation as it will all be underwritten by Jag.

Go one ICE, grab yourself a bargain........
RJC's car was a vert. I don't like verts. I would consider a hard top vert but never, ever would I own a rag top of any make/model.

Last edited by ice350; 05-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM

I can't recall the figure that was quoted in an earlier thread, and as this threadis growing rapidly, i couldnt spot it easilly, but it was something like depreciation of $25-30k already.

New engine or not, the fix will be paid for by Jaguar. That vehicle is still only worth its top book value considering its second hand now even with a new engine (which we dont know yet if one is needed)

Either way, its a killer deal for someone.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Found it - page 3

Alpine advised that the car has depreciated 31% off list price.

You could use this public forum information to your advantage?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

ice, have you driven one / sat in one yet? I'm 6' 1" and feel like I'm pretty close to being about as tall as you'd want to be for an XK. Obviously everybody is built differently, and everyone has their "ideal" seating position but I figured it would be worth mentioning.

As for the reliability thing, I went searching a while back and found the same thing aahmichael did. Searching for "misfire" in the relevant XJ / XK forums, you can read everything there is to know in about 5 minutes. RJC's car obviously had some issues, but stating that certain VIN ranges suffer from a condition that requires a cylinder head replacement seems like wild speculation, based upon what I've read.

Quick Reply: I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR