XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Intercooler coolant bleed procedure 4.2litre SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:48 PM
Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Intercooler coolant bleed procedure 4.2litre SC

Is there any special procedure to bleed the intercooler coolant. I'm planning to change the intercooler pump this weekend.

Do I just crack open the fill/bleed bolt on top, use a suitable funnel, fill the intercooler with coolant/distilled water and watch for all the air bubbles to disappear whilst running the electric pump?

Last edited by XKRAU; 01-21-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

No that’s not how to do it. All I think you need to do is open up the bleed valve on the plastic coolant reservoir and open up the big hex fitting on the intake manifold intake assembly by the supercharger and fill the coolant reservoir until you see start to see coolant overflow from the coolant reservoir port and then block it with the plug. and then what I did was go to the big hex fitting for port on the intake and continue to fill that up as much as I could and then blocked it off with the plug.

Word of warning - I broke that entire aluminum Hex plug port assembly off of the aluminum intake manifold by the supercharger as it is only held on by a small rib of aluminum and when I torqued the hex head it snapped off. It doesn’t really cause any problems with the engine with it no longer attached bc it pretty much stays Where it needs to be because of the cooling hose that’s attached to that hex plug.

Another word of warning is that if you get that hex plug off without snapping it off the intake as I did DO NOT tighten it down too hard because I can guarantee you the it will snap it off the next time you try to loosen it. that’s exactly what I did

The following users liked this post:
XKRAU (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I normally fill the main reservoir and crack the big hex on S/C and fill until it comes out of there. Drive to get both engine and S/C warm enough to open thermostats. Let cool down and recheck level in reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
XKRAU (02-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:12 PM
Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
No that’s not how to do it. All I think you need to do is open up the bleed valve on the plastic coolant reservoir and open up the big hex fitting on the intake manifold intake assembly by the supercharger and fill the coolant reservoir until you see start to see coolant overflow from the coolant reservoir port and then block it with the plug. and then what I did was go to the big hex fitting for port on the intake and continue to fill that up as much as I could and then blocked it off with the plug.

Word of warning - I broke that entire aluminum Hex plug port assembly off of the aluminum intake manifold by the supercharger as it is only held on by a small rib of aluminum and when I torqued the hex head it snapped off. It doesn’t really cause any problems with the engine with it no longer attached bc it pretty much stays Where it needs to be because of the cooling hose that’s attached to that hex plug.

Another word of warning is that if you get that hex plug off without snapping it off the intake as I did DO NOT tighten it down too hard because I can guarantee you the it will snap it off the next time you try to loosen it. that’s exactly what I did
Great thanks for the heads up. I'll be extra gentle.