XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Iphone 6 no longer plays music

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 517 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Iphone 6 no longer plays music

First let me say I am fortunate enough to never have had any electrical gremlins since purchasing my car last year and my car is always on a CTEK Charger very day. I wanted to get that out of the equation right away. I own my iphone 6 for 3 weeks and immediately upon getting it, I purchased the adapter from Apple ($42) and it hooked up to my 2010 XK. My playlist of songs played flawlessly. The car immediately recognized the phone and there was nothing for me to do. Last week there was an iphone update and today when trying to listen to my song list I get a message on my iphone "This accessory is not supported by this iphone". I did however get some distorted music for a short time today, but the screen was flashing and it looked like the car did not like the connection. My radio and cd player are fine. Am I simply SOL or is there anything else I need to know other than my brand new iphone 6 is not compatable with the car. The Bluetooth phone does work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not at all savvy with electronics. Thanks all.

The following users liked this post:
rdg9303 (02-07-2015)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
First let me say I am fortunate enough to never have had any electrical gremlins since purchasing my car last year and my car is always on a CTEK Charger very day. I wanted to get that out of the equation right away. I own my iphone 6 for 3 weeks and immediately upon getting it, I purchased the adapter from Apple ($42) and it hooked up to my 2010 XK. My playlist of songs played flawlessly. The car immediately recognized the phone and there was nothing for me to do. Last week there was an iphone update and today when trying to listen to my song list I get a message on my iphone "This accessory is not supported by this iphone". I did however get some distorted music for a short time today, but the screen was flashing and it looked like the car did not like the connection. My radio and cd player are fine. Am I simply SOL or is there anything else I need to know other than my brand new iphone 6 is not compatable with the car. The Bluetooth phone does work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not at all savvy with electronics. Thanks all.
Sounds like the car is working as it should. Since you had the latest update from Apple and it doesn't work, drive the car to your nearest Apple Store and let them figure out what happened. If that doesn't work, dump the iPhone, get a cheap Tracfone, and load all of your playlists unto a micro thumb drive and use that. They work great with the Jag electronics.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Sounds like the car is working as it should. Since you had the latest update from Apple and it doesn't work, drive the car to your nearest Apple Store and let them figure out what happened. If that doesn't work, dump the iPhone, get a cheap Tracfone, and load all of your playlists unto a micro thumb drive and use that. They work great with the Jag electronics.

Just read a thread about similar issues. The fix was to remove fuse 21 for 5 minutes for a "hard reset". I'm doing that now and will be crossing my fingers".

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of accessory is it?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MJB1221
What kind of accessory is it?

That's the Apple lingo for my car I assume. It's too bad, because it was working great before the the update, I mean great. The removal of the fuse for the hard reboot didn't work. Too bad. Anyone else out there with an iphone 6???

Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What I meant is what kind of adapter is it that you purchased thru Apple?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MJB1221
What I meant is what kind of adapter is it that you purchased thru Apple?

Sorry, It's the cord that goes from the factory cord that plugs into the ipod insert in the center console. It's the adapter from the end of that cord with the many pins to the small connector for the iphone 6. I can't even return it now as the 14 days are past. I'm hoping I can get it to work again.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 930 Likes on 608 Posts

Sorry, It's the cord that goes from the factory cord that plugs into the ipod insert in the center console. It's the adapter from the end of that cord with the many pins to the small connector for the iphone 6. I can't even return it now as the 14 days are past. I'm hoping I can get it to work again.

I down load to a memory stick and use it. No problems.

On a similar topic: I'm upgrading my current iphone to either an iPhone 6+ or Samsung Note 4. Both appear to be good mobile phones. Anyone experience any problems with android Samsung products?

Last edited by DGL; 11-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I down load to a memory stick and use it. No problems.

On a similar topic: I'm upgrading my current iphone to either an iPhone 6+ or Samsung Note 4. Both appear to be good mobile phones. Anyone experience any problems with android Samsung products?

Did you down load from your older iphone to the memory stick or from another source? How exactly did you get your songs to the memory stick? I have my songs on I tunes, and on my iphone 6 and on an apple shuffle so I think it might be a little more difficult.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 930 Likes on 608 Posts

Did you down load from your older iphone to the memory stick or from another source? How exactly did you get your songs to the memory stick? I have my songs on I tunes, and on my iphone 6 and on an apple shuffle so I think it might be a little more difficult.

Down load M4a to MP3 software from the internet. Google search for it. After installing, it is straight forward. From your iTunes library you can drag and drop all of your songs into the program and designate a folder to store the converted MP3 files. You can make up custom folders on the USB stick.

The nice thing about the USB stick on the Jaguar infotainment system is you see everything by folders and can quickly access folders and specific songs. I can't do this in the 2013 Mercedes or my 2012 Volvo (both with premium packages and fully loaded).

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

I have about 1500 songs on a Sandisk Micro drive....same as this. Downloaded from computer to drive. It was very easy to do. Works great on my 2009 Jag XKR. The Jag screen puts the songs in folders and you can see whats playing on the screen.

Beats all the frustration of using an iPhone. You simply DOCK the micro disk to the Jag and the micro drive stays in the console all the time.

Can't beat this method for under $20.00

New SanDisk 32GB 32 GB Cruzer Fit SD USB Micro USB Flash Pen Drive SDCZ33 032G | eBay

32GB will store so many songs you will probably never get to play/listen to them all.

Check it out.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Apple iOS 8.1

I downloaded Apple's newest operating system, 8.1, to my iPhone 5S two weeks ago and immediately goofy sh*t started happening. It was like Apple had hired Jaguar to design their OS! The simple fix is to revert back to your iPhone's previous operating system. As far as playing your favorite tunes in your Jag, I don't think you can't beat a flashdrive that you leave plugged into the USB dock in the console. I just bought a new flashdrive that's 128GB, which means it can hold over 30,000 songs! I know what you're thinking ... why did I buy one that big? Simple answer ... they didn't have anything bigger!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
I downloaded Apple's newest operating system, 8.1, to my iPhone 5S two weeks ago and immediately goofy sh*t started happening. It was like Apple had hired Jaguar to design their OS! The simple fix is to revert back to your iPhone's previous operating system. As far as playing your favorite tunes in your Jag, I don't think you can't beat a flashdrive that you leave plugged into the USB dock in the console. I just bought a new flashdrive that's 128GB, which means it can hold over 30,000 songs! I know what you're thinking ... why did I buy one that big? Simple answer ... they didn't have anything bigger!

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple who had no fix for me. Would you happen to know how to revert to the previous operating system?

Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

I have about 1500 songs on a Sandisk Micro drive....same as this. Downloaded from computer to drive. It was very easy to do. Works great on my 2009 Jag XKR. The Jag screen puts the songs in folders and you can see whats playing on the screen.

Beats all the frustration of using an iPhone. You simply DOCK the micro disk to the Jag and the micro drive stays in the console all the time.

Can't beat this method for under $20.00

New SanDisk 32GB 32 GB Cruzer Fit SD USB Micro USB Flash Pen Drive SDCZ33 032G | eBay

32GB will store so many songs you will probably never get to play/listen to them all.

Check it out.

Thanks Richzak. I may be going this route as Apple has been useless so far.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richzak. I may be going this route as Apple has been useless so far.
You only need so much memory in the Micro drive. Probably no more than a 32GB or 64GB, as the Jaguar system (I believe) can't handle that many songs on a larger micro drive.

I think I read somewhere that you can get about 4000 songs into the Jag system via the micro disc/docking station.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

You only need so much memory in the Micro drive. Probably no more than a 32GB or 64GB, as the Jaguar system (I believe) can't handle that many songs on a larger micro drive.

I think I read somewhere that you can get about 4000 songs into the Jag system via the micro disc/docking station.

I assume you are referring to the Flash Drive (Scan Disk) you mentioned earlier. At the present, I only have 250 songs that I've collected, so there is no need for the huge capacity. I'm sure 4 GB would be more than enough. I'm just annoyed that I have to convert the songs from my itune list to the flash drive. I hope it's relatively simple. On line I've read about dragging the tunes from the itune list onto the flash drive. If that's all there is to it, I'll be happy.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I assume you are referring to the Flash Drive (Scan Disk) you mentioned earlier. At the present, I only have 250 songs that I've collected, so there is no need for the huge capacity. I'm sure 4 GB would be more than enough. I'm just annoyed that I have to convert the songs from my itune list to the flash drive. I hope it's relatively simple. On line I've read about dragging the tunes from the itune list onto the flash drive. If that's all there is to it, I'll be happy.
Suggest the 16GB Sandisc Cruzer micro (larger than you need, but can add to the disc) .....just transfer songs to disc, place in docking station in console, let Jag system get the songs, were ready to go.

Under $12.00

New SanDisk 16GB 16 GB Cruzer Fit SD USB Micro USB Flash Pen Drive SDCZ33 016G | eBay

Enjoy the tunes.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

You are citing one of the reasons I no longer have an Iphone. I had similar problems after downloading and installing a "system upgrade" at the time Apple advised me that the system upgrade might not work in all vehicles because the vehicle systems might require an upgrade to work with the new Apple system, but, they would eventually make sure that their new system would work with most vehicles on the road.

My reaction to this is the following which told them during the conversation. It is reprehensible that a company with their reputation would put a "system upgrade" out in the market place without first ensuring that the upgrade would work with all relatively current vehicles. And if the wouldn't do that, then the least they could do is publish a list of vehicles that the system could accommodate. Anyway they don't need me to stay in business so I took my business elsewhere. No more "I" products for me!!!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Update: I followed the instructions on "How to export songs from iTunes to a thumb drive". I copied and pasted every song I wanted from my iTunes library to an empty new folder. I then dragged the folder over the thumb drive icon on my computer until it was completed. Doesn't work in my car. The files I have read MPEG-4. I assumed the Jaguar would be able to read these files. Do I need to convert the files to MP3 format?

Quick Reply: Iphone 6 no longer plays music