XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

It's distinctly a Jaguar XKR--best GT built

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts
Default It's distinctly a Jaguar XKR--best GT built

I had my 2013 XKR out for a little drive today. I've been driving my Merc SLK 55 AMG convertible over the last week because of the nice weather to enjoy it with the top down. Wow, IMO, the XKR is such a great car to drive compared to my Merc--it is so much better. Much more responsive and distinctive. One would think the Merc's AMG drive train would be hard to beat. Let me tell you the Jaguar 5L SC and aged 6 speed ZF slush box is so much better, night and day different.

Compared to the 2014 GT-R I sold my XKR is not as quick but feels just as quick and the GT-R is so much less refined. The GT-R is always mistaken as a mustang. No mistaken the Jaguar XK as a Mustang, it's a gorgeous well crafted machine. If I ever sell my XKR I'll certainly miss it.

Every time I get to drive the Jaguar XKR it doesn't disappoint and continues to put a big grind on my face. I can't understand why these cars don't hold their value better--they turn a lot of heads. Yes, the XK platform model is old, but has been cleverly updated (all aluminum chassis, very powerful and reliable drive train), and is distinctly the best GT car built. Sure it doesn't have an infotainment system like a Tesla but it is adequate and makes up for it in so many ways. Heck, to access a song stored on my iPhone or USB flash memory I need to sequentially go through the songs to get to it in my 2013 Merc. In my 2013 XKR I have access to all of the stored folders. All cars have their quirks. The XKR, IMO, stands out as one of the best all around GTs. It's distinctly a Jaguar. Hard to find a better car for the money.

Last edited by DGL; 08-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by DGL:
axr6 (08-29-2014), bigdhenderson (08-30-2014), Cee Jay (12-11-2014), ddsski (09-01-2014), MaximA (08-30-2014), ralphwg (08-29-2014), richzak (08-29-2014), tberg (08-29-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

It's amazing how after all these years with the same body style from 2007, it still gets the attention it does. For this reason, I'm not disappointed that production has ceased.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Amen!!

The following users liked this post:
DGL (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

+1 great head turner and super ride.

DGL (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

DGL - exactly my thoughts and my conclusions which had led me to commit to the long term ownership of my present XKR. I never quite forgave myself for selling my '08XK until I got the '10 XKR with 6k miles. Nothing else would replace it for me.

I think the car will be an instant classic as soon as production ends and I hope to use most, if not all, of the extra 7 years warranty I purchased last week for it. It is just a special car with gorgeous exterior looks and great performance while pampering you with that distinctive British elegance inside the cabin. I honestly can not think of a car I would rather own right now (yes I had owned Italian supercars).

DGL (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

bocatrip,
I am surprised that you're amazed that after 7 years people still think the current model is a beautiful car. What would you expect from a Jaguar 2 door? The previous model lasted more than 10 years and to this day, my 2002 XKR gets far more compliments than any other car I have ever owned including my 2010 XKR. The XKE model range lasted far longer as well, is anyone surprised when compliments are thrown at any of its iterations?

It's what is expected of the Jaguar flagship, stunning beauty, great performance, classic, ageless, timeless style! It's not coincidence.

Attached Thumbnails It's distinctly a Jaguar XKR--best GT built-dscf1186-1280x960-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (08-29-2014), ralphwg (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Wow.......with all this hype I feel like going out and buying another XK!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I own 2!!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

You have to style it right the first time or you're constantly "putting lipstick on a pig". Jaguar clearly got the design right, but the marque still has a dark cloud over it with many out dated impressions on reliability.

Jaguar should consider a warranty or program that promotes and/or creates an impression that this is leader in its class for reliability (does not have to be true if the consumers believe it), along with tactics to keep buyers coming back. Jaguar is one of the lowest in repeat customers. Not necessarily based on a bad taste or experience of current owners; just the stats from the auto industry.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You have to style it right the first time or you're constantly "putting lipstick on a pig". Jaguar clearly got the design right, but the marque still has a dark cloud over it with many out dated impressions on reliability.

Jaguar should consider a warranty or program that promotes and/or creates an impression that this is leader in its class for reliability (does not have to be true if the consumers believe it), along with tactics to keep buyers coming back. Jaguar is one of the lowest in repeat customers. Not necessarily based on a bad taste or experience of current owners; just the stats from the auto industry.

I agree Jaguar is having a hard time to overcome its reliability stigma. Extended warranty and spending some of the F-Type marketing $s on marketing the brand as reliable would help.

I can't believe the number of people that stick with a brand. I'd like to see the stats on car manufacture loyalty (repeat buyers of brand). I don't think Jaguar is any different than other brands. Look at some thread signatures and you will see many repeat buyers (many currently owning 2-3 JLRs). Stats from the manufacture are misleading and do not consider owners buying used. I bought both of my XKR's used. The first with 3,300 miles and the second with 300 miles.

We all know when buying new, especially Jaguar, you take a big hit on depreciation. Jaguar's continue to depreciate a bit more than the other cars. I buy my cars with cash and will never buy a new Jaguar from the manufacture unless it was sometime like a C-X75. I think Jaguar marketing has a lot to do with customer loyalty (offering unattractive leasing programs etc.). The Jaguar brand is as solid as any other brand. I'd rather drive a Jaguar than a Mercedes. I'd trade my Mercedes SLK 55 AMG for a F-Type without a blink.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I guess we are digressing a bit here but Jaguar's niche is self defined with such a small product line, generally speaking 2 expensive sedans and 2 expensive sports cars. Right or wrong other brands have substantial variety, how many classes does Merc offer? BMW has how many series?

Will be interesting to see if the new sedan can succeed where the X-type failed, as far as sales numbers and new to the brand owners go and how the new SUV will fair.

My 2 cents…

What I am getting at is I don't think reliability is the issue anymore, no one ever tells be what a terrible brand it is, everyone tells me: "sure wish I could afford one."

Last edited by jahummer; 08-30-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

This is from USA Today - Cars most likely to be dumped Cars most likely to be dumped :

4. Jaguar

> Average loyalty: 25.45%
> 2014 Vehicle sales (Jan. – Jun.): 8,317 (2nd lowest)
> Dependability – problems per 100 vehicles: 132 (13th lowest)
> Manufacturer: Tata Motors

On average, just 25.5% of Jaguar's customers said they intended to return to buy another vehicle over the last few fears. Among luxury brands, Jaguar customers have been the least likely to remain loyal. Less than 17,000 Jaguars were sold last year, among the lowest unit sales of any car brand. Compared to the year before, however, the company's sales were up more than 41%, the largest spike in sales among all the brands reviewed. Compared to other brands on this list, Jaguars also had relatively few problems reported per 100 vehicles and nearly the best rating on J.D. Power's APEAL report. Dramatic sales increases may indicate there were high volumes of first-time buyers. With the sales jump, there may be a new generation of Jaguar enthusiasts and loyalty ratings may finally increase.

The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
Cee Jay (12-11-2014), ddsski (09-01-2014), DGL (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All this talk just makes me want to fill the tank and go take some more rubber off my tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by liquid-chris:
Cee Jay (12-11-2014), jahummer (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Agreed! I was going to drive my RR later but now I'm taking Jag.. Milky headlights and all I love this car.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I just came off of 14 years owning an old Ferrari. It was one of those opportunities that at the time I had to do and I enjoyed it . The maintenance over those years less gas was a little over $10K and I did all of it. I sold my XJS at the time to get that car. Now fast forward I had considered getting into a modern Ferrari like a 355 Spyder But rethought this knowing what the maintenance cost would be . Considering I was going to spend $75K +/- and I loved the lines of Jaguar I focused on an XK but also looked at the F-Type. After taking a drive in a 2010 XKR there was no doubt as to what my wants were. Hopefully what I managed to get will last another 15 years at which time I may have to give up my licence but at least it would have been an enjoyable ride. So i got what I wanted and am very happy so I only hope the car will be nice to me. Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

2015 XKR, the "looks & stares" as well as the compliments happen on a daily occurrence. An amazing ride!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

All the XK needed to be thoroughly modern was an updated touch screen (current one works fine but...) and some adaptive suspension goodies, maybe the magnetorhet...(you get it) ones to compose the ride to 2015 standards. The car gets as much if not more attention than my Evora. Put those 2 side by side, and you quickly realize just how beautiful British cars are next to the competition.

BTW I contribute to that 25%. This is my 3rd Jag and see no reason to change brands for my luxury ride! Bring on the diesel SUV!!!

Last edited by ddsski; 09-01-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default It is "a looker"

It is amazing the reactions these cars get in public. Last weekend (in what has to be the most "car centric" environment on the planet - Newport Beach, California) we took our XKR down to Balboa Island and we're lucky enough to get prime parking right on the main drag. For those familiar - we were right in front of the Balboa Bar Stand! It was early evening and the streets were packed with folks enjoying a late summer stroll and ice cream bar (they're great!) I left the top down and just took a nearby seat (while the better half trekked off to shop) and voyeuristically watched people admire and talk about the Jag (one of my favorite pass-times BTW). As Astons, Ferraris, Bentleys "cruised by" the Jag seemed to capture more attention.

That said, the comments included (a father talking to his son) "yes it is beautiful - but you know these are not very reliable."

Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
The car get as much if not more attention than my Evora. Put those 2 side by side, and you quickly realize just how beautiful British cars are next to the competition.
I must admit that I don't get anymore stares in the Evora than I did in XK, or if I do; not enough to notice. I didn't get as much crowd around the car (in XK), but at British Car Day, way more people were all over my XK than they were over 5-8 Evoras presented. Even next to the Vantage or DB, the XK is commands attention. It drawfs either in size and equally represents its heritage as well as the Aston's. Sure, dig deeper and the detailing of the Aston makes a big difference, but not so much to the uninformed.

Quick Reply: It's distinctly a Jaguar XKR--best GT built