XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jag not insurable???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:54 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

…. the money has to come from somewhere.

I wonder how many insurance claims are legitimate. And wonder why its become common place to claim everything under the sun with the insurance company. As long as these themes of “stick it to the insurance company” prevail, rates have no where to go but up, as will the responses of not wanting to take on the liability/responsibility.

For example, I wanted a replacement oem windscreen, not the authorized replacement. That comes out of my pocket.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:36 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Wait for your next renewal premium letter. Make sure that you're sitting down before you open it.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-i...ce-costs-rise/
The economy is in shambles and getting worse in the US for everyone except the ruling class and wealthy? You don't say! The article alludes to the fact it will be all insurance customers feeling this sting. Also, is $1,668 really an "average!"? I haven't paid close to that, like nowhere close to that (meaning, I have and continue to pay far less). That is crazy.

Originally Posted by guy
…. the money has to come from somewhere.

And wonder why its become common place to claim everything under the sun with the insurance company. As long as these themes of “stick it to the insurance company” prevail, rates have no where to go but up, as will the responses of not wanting to take on the liability/responsibility.
It is this exactly that causes not only auto insurance to go up, but ALL insurance to go up. People are using insurance as a financial tool instead of a hedge against bankruptcy. Unfortunately, we are now stuck in it. What i mean is that insurance has always supposed to have been insuring against bankruptcy, not to pay $500 deductible to replace a $700 window...which people do ALLLL the time (Hey, I save $200 bucks, right? Yeah, wrong). I don't lease nor finance vehicles anymore, but when I did, I'd have the highest deductible allowed by the lienholder. Then, I could sock that away in an interest bearing account and earn money on it while not using it, as well as the saved money on premiums. This is not rocket science, but there is so much money to be made and is easily achieved by the sheer lack of financial ignorance of honestly the middle of the bell curve. Anyway, you are absolutely right in your assertion here. Insurance is not used appropriately anymore and those of us with even a modicum of financial sensibility end up paying the price.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then realize half of people are stupider than that" -- George Carlin

Old 02-15-2024, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by tergitkerd
The economy is in shambles and getting worse in the US for everyone except the ruling class and wealthy? .............................
Actually, no. It's not bad at all, everything considered (like the mess it was from 2019-2020 with covid and all) and getting better since then. Unless you watch *** nooz, of course. They have a penchant for overwhelming dishonesty. This is getting too close to politics for this site though.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 02-15-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:59 AM

Wait for your next renewal premium letter. Make sure that you're sitting down before you open it.
Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Actually, no. It's not bad at all, everything considered (like the mess it was from 2019-2020 with covid and all) and getting better since then. Unless you watch *** nooz, of course. They have a penchant for overwhelming dishonesty. This is getting too close to politics for this site though.
Well, I watch zero news nor have I ever had social media. I like to figure things out for myself and not get told what to think and what I should care about, but what I do is live my life and pay close attention to my finances and to claim that it's not bad at all seems out of touch with reality at least for the lower and (what used to be) middle class, my friend. I honestly don't get this position. Now, if you happen to be wealthy, then maybe that is your reality; however, that too, is not something I would relate to. Not even worth getting into, especially here where it is inappropriate to do so. Wouldn't matter though. No one can be convinced to change their mind about anything anymore.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

If you didn't believe me when I warned of "substantial rate increases", read the attached article, "Car Insurers Are Bleeding Money", ©The Wall Street Journal, dated today, February 26, 2024, "

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
jahummer (02-26-2024), kj07xk (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:23 PM

I tend not to make sweeping generalizations. And I wasn't attempting to do so. What I was saying is that it's not necessarily the case across the board. I don't carry full coverage, all drivers in the house have excellent credit and driving records. Just received my premium renewal Friday it was $24 more for the year. So I guess I concede you are right as they did go up. Though I wouldn't necessarily call this something to fret about. Again that's my own individual singular personal experience. I can imagine someone carrying full coverage with a $500 deductible and half a million liability probably are more of the issue and are going to experience more of the rising cost than anybody else, especially those that use the super high overhead big guys like State Farm, Nationwide, allstate, travelers etc.

Last edited by tergitkerd; 02-26-2024 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

@tergitkerd , there's a reason why your insurance premiums didn't skyrocket.

That's because Erie does business only in 12 states— Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin—and the District of Columbia. Erie didn't suffer casualty losses to the same extent as the big companies that do business in all 50 states. 2023 was a bad year for losses caused by forest fires, floods, hurricanes, tropical cyclones, and other weather events that hit states bordering the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico, West Coast, and Hawaii. Erie's exposure to those events was limited.

LImits of liability and high deductibles make a big difference in premiums.

Erie Insurance Fact Sheet

Old 02-26-2024, 02:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default YMMV

I tend not to make sweeping generalizations. And I wasn't attempting to do so. What I was saying is that it's not necessarily the case across the board. I don't carry full coverage, all drivers in the house have excellent credit and driving records. Just received my premium renewal Friday it was $24 more for the year. So I guess I concede you are right as they did go up. Though I wouldn't necessarily call this something to fret about. Again that's my own individual singular personal experience. I can imagine someone carrying full coverage with a $500 deductible and half a million liability probably are more of the issue and are going to experience more of the rising cost than anybody else, especially those that use the super high overhead big guys like State Farm, Nationwide, allstate, travelers etc.
I have to agree with tergitkerd. My Hartford policy for 4 cars has hardly budged, my Travelers home insurance went up less than 50 bucks. Each individual may experience differences. My single car Hagerty insurance hasn't changed, either. And the quote for the coming (I hope) XKR was $560.
I find that people who expect and look for only bad news can easily find it. Bad news and fear are what advertisers thrive on. Also, since the Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, I never expect a lot of positivity coming out. I read it, but compare other sources and opinions. They seem to be able to dig up every doom and gloomer out of the woodwork whether the market is booming or not. Much of the "bleeding" can be attributed to all the natural disasters. I will agree with Stuart S on one point. It's hard to change anyone's mind. I hope he's including himself in that statement, right?
Cheers!

Old 02-26-2024, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DungenessJag
... I will agree with
​​​​with Stuart S on one point. It's hard to change anyone's mind. I hope he's including himself in that statement, right?
Cheers!
DJ, whether I agree with you that it's hard to change my mind depends on what the meaning of the word "hard" is. According to this expert ...

The following users liked this post:
tergitkerd (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 04:40 PM

DJ, whether I agree with you that it's hard to change my mind depends on what the meaning of the word "hard" is. According to this expert ...

https://youtu.be/j4XT-l-_3y0?feature=shared
Classic

Honestly, more than one thing can be true at a time. My entire point was simply this. Hey, I have Erie for a while now. They have been great. Really affordable and top-notch claims and customer service, give them a shot if they cover your area, at least with a quote. That is it really. Wasn't making any other claims beyond that really.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 07:01 PM
Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

I have two teenage kids driving. The insurance on my car is barely a blip.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CurtJ
I have two teenage kids driving. The insurance on my car is barely a blip.
Yeah, my 2 boys have been out of the house for 9 years now so I had a lull, but my 16 year old daughter will be driving soon though she is in no hurry. But when she does, well, then I won't be singing the same tune. One thing about Erie I don't like is that you have to insure the teen for every car in the house and not just specifically their car. From their point of view, I guess I get it but still.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:40 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DungenessJag
I just got a bit of a shock. I'm looking at buying an XKR so I called my insurance (Hartford through AARP) and they told me they don't insure them or the F Type.) (they don't seem to have a problem with my S2000 or with the Z06 I had insured with them before I sold it) Has anyone else encountered this. What companies are you using successfully? I will have to set up a separate policy from the 4 cars I have insured currently with Hartford. I also have a car insured through Hagerty, but the Jag is too new to qualify. Cheers!
Allstate,Liberty mutual,State farm are all insurance companies that insured me over the years for my 2013 jaguar XKR.I only switch when i find out i can get a cheaper policy from a different company

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 02-27-2024 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:42 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
I went through Hagerty. Got agreed value policy for less than 500/yr. Includes collision/liabilty/comp
Mannn that's a cheap great deal!Im paying next to $500 a month!

Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

In the USA, car insurance rates vary by state. The average cost for car insurance increased by 20.3% from December 2022 to December 2023, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Where does your state stack up? See this article published today by consumer advocate Clark Howard:

The Most and Least Expensive Car Insurance Rates By State

This is likely to cause disagreement, and I look forward to your entertaining comments!

Old 02-27-2024, 10:10 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

The economy is in shambles and getting worse in the US for everyone except the ruling class and wealthy? You don't say! The article alludes to the fact it will be all insurance customers feeling this sting. Also, is $1,668 really an "average!"? I haven't paid close to that, like nowhere close to that (meaning, I have and continue to pay far less). That is crazy.

It is this exactly that causes not only auto insurance to go up, but ALL insurance to go up. People are using insurance as a financial tool instead of a hedge against bankruptcy. Unfortunately, we are now stuck in it. What i mean is that insurance has always supposed to have been insuring against bankruptcy, not to pay $500 deductible to replace a $700 window...which people do ALLLL the time (Hey, I save $200 bucks, right? Yeah, wrong). I don't lease nor finance vehicles anymore, but when I did, I'd have the highest deductible allowed by the lienholder. Then, I could sock that away in an interest bearing account and earn money on it while not using it, as well as the saved money on premiums. This is not rocket science, but there is so much money to be made and is easily achieved by the sheer lack of financial ignorance of honestly the middle of the bell curve. Anyway, you are absolutely right in your assertion here. Insurance is not used appropriately anymore and those of us with even a modicum of financial sensibility end up paying the price.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then realize half of people are stupider than that" -- George Carlin
This doesn't hurt insurance companies anywhere near as much as using insurance to pay for a say roof replacement (see Florida for an example). And every body shop knows the trick of getting additional items to the claim, oh and only at dealer, OEM parts prices, or getting you a "free deductible". I can't imagine that they care about the people who use a $500 deductible to pay for a $700 repair.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:12 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

If you didn't believe me when I warned of "substantial rate increases", read the attached article, "Car Insurers Are Bleeding Money", ©The Wall Street Journal, dated today, February 26, 2024, "
Hard to tell but it looks like in that picture the UK prices are the ones really jumping which tracks with the constant insurance talk on the facebook car groups which for some reason are about 90% British. Range Rover especially

Old 02-27-2024, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

In the USA, car insurance rates vary by state. The average cost for car insurance increased by 20.3% from December 2022 to December 2023, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Where does your state stack up? See this article published today by consumer advocate Clark Howard:

The Most and Least Expensive Car Insurance Rates By State

This is likely to cause disagreement, and I look forward to your entertaining comments!
Interesting chart, but I guess you really need your own specific data. Take my state for example, has an annual average of $2112 for one car, yet my total cost for 3 cars is only $1953. Maybe it will jump this year, we’ll see.