XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

JAG SAG!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 12:57 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
That's correct, but perhaps not what the OP is looking for. Far be it from me to challenge an aerospace engineer, but I thought Barnsie intended to compare the left and right rear suspension heights, not determine whether the car was within the absolute ride height specs. If the rear tires are inflated to the same pressure, he can see the difference whether he measures from wheel center or the ground.

My .
You have it right, Bill. I am not concerned with the ride height as such - it is the difference between the right side and the left which is causing me (a little) concern. I'd say, without having measured accurately yet, that the right side is about 3/8 inch lower than the left side. We have had terrible weather here lately, with snow and very cold winds, so I haven't felt inclined (see what I did there?) to bring the car out of the garage to investigate further, and it is too tight in my garage to do anything indoors.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Haha don't challenge me, challenge the chaps who wrote the manual! All I vouch for is accurate and reliable data =]. You can compare right to left but measuring is the only thing that will tell you if both or just 1 needs to be replaced.

Different tire brands, materials, pressure, and weight distribution, etc... all affect the height if measured form the floor. The correct measuring method IS NOT dependent on tires or tire pressure.

So if you measure the ride height per the manual, then deflate any (or all) of the tires and measure again, you'll get the same numbers! Engineering at its finest.
Yes, it is useful to know the correct measurement method. I will measure both sides, using your guide above, and then have a definitive answer as to the difference.

The following users liked this post:
gkubrak (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Haha don't challenge me, challenge the chaps who wrote the manual! All I vouch for is accurate and reliable data =]. You can compare right to left but measuring is the only thing that will tell you if both or just 1 needs to be replaced.

Different tire brands, materials, pressure, and weight distribution, etc... all affect the height if measured form the floor. The correct measuring method IS NOT dependent on tires or tire pressure.

So if you measure the ride height per the manual, then deflate any (or all) of the tires and measure again, you'll get the same numbers! Engineering at its finest.
I violently agree with you! I just was trying to point out what I thought Barnsie was intending to do. He agreed in post #21, so case closed on that. He would get more information by following the manual, as you point out, but he just wanted a quick view of the difference in height.

PS, I suspect the measurement according to the manual needs to be done with the car on a flat or nearly flat surface. Yes?

Old 01-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
... PS, I suspect the measurement according to the manual needs to be done with the car on a flat or nearly flat surface. Yes?
Yes sir. An incline would throw off any measurements made.

The following users liked this post:
Bill Mack (01-04-2021)