XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jag Sales Representative View Of F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Jag Sales Representative View Of F-Type

We took our Range Rover in for its first service, at which time I had an interesting conversation with the dealerships Sales Manager. We were standing next to a new F-Type, in the show room, so I asked…”how do you like it and how are they selling? He stated that while they are a “nice” car with good technology, they are a bit overpriced and consequently not selling. He went on to explain that the customer, in that price range, appears to opt for a Porsche or other established sports cars.

For me, I liked the interior however, I found it to be a bit smaller and no room for my clubs…

Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
We took our Range Rover in for its first service, at which time I had an interesting conversation with the dealerships Sales Manager. We were standing next to a new F-Type, in the show room, so I asked…”how do you like it and how are they selling? He stated that while they are a “nice” car with good technology, they are a bit overpriced and consequently not selling. He went on to explain that the customer, in that price range, appears to opt for a Porsche or other established sports cars.

For me, I liked the interior however, I found it to be a bit smaller and no room for my clubs…
I was one of those individuals who opted for the new re-designed 2014 Porsche Cayman 981 at an estimated $35,000 savings over the F-Type. The sales manager you spoke to appears to be very honest in opinion. Guys like that are hard to find at dealerships of any kind.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I was one of those individuals who opted for the new re-designed 2014 Porsche Cayman 981 at an estimated $35,000 savings over the F-Type. The sales manager you spoke to appears to be very honest in opinion. Guys like that are hard to find at dealerships of any kind.
I too went back and forth between the F Type and 981 Cayman. I was not even considering the F Type Convert but wanted to get an idea of what the F Type Coupe would be like. Turns out, that I preferred the grand tourer XK Coupe over either one. Both cars are really fun but quite different. The only thing they both have in common is they are expensive!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,299 Likes on 894 Posts

I was kind of the same. The F-type piqued my interest and I decided that with my eldest daughter about to get her license I could live with 2 doors when the coupe comes out. But here in Oz a decently optioned V6S is about the same as a new XKR. Taking into account the reported hard ride of the F-type (though the dealer says that is rubbish, the ride is excellent) the long options list, and the fact I've always loved the XKR (and that once I've made my mind up, I want it NOW), I bought a 2 1/2 year old XKR for between 1/2 to 2/3 of what I would pay for an optioned up new V6S, and between 1/3 and 1/2 of what I would have paid for the V8S. I'm a little too used to comfort to live with a sports car, and a hard ride is a deal breaker for me.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Before buying my 2013 XKR I looked at the Porsche Carrera 911. I missed my sold xkr 175 and was looking for a replacement. I thought the Carrera 911 felt like a toy and lacked the power and comfort of the XKR; so, I found a great deal on a 2013 XKR with the options I wanted at a fantastic price and only 300 miles from new. I'm very happy with the car.

After driving the XKR with over 500hp my 2011 G37 Convertible felt even more like a girly car and I stopped enjoying the ride; so, I sold the G37 and knew if I bought another convertible it would need to punch more than 400hp. A good deal on a 2013 Merc SLK 55 AMG with less than 1,000 miles came my way so I wrote the cheque and will take delivery of the car in 2 weeks. I bought the SLK 55 AMG because it was a super great deal. If I don't like it I'll sell it. The only Porsche that interest me is the 911 turbo S and the price is getting too high at close to $200,000. I personally would have much more fun in an F-Type than a Cayman. I find the Cayman lacks power, in the same range as my G37 had. However, I'm sure the Cayman is a well handling car. I'd rather have an F-type. I will probably sell the SLK 55 AMG within a year. If a great deal comes my way on a V8 fully loaded F-type convertible I will jump on it. One should be able to pick up a good used F-Type convertible relatively cheap next year when the F-Type coupe arrives and the Jaguar depreciation takes hold.

Anyone know anything about the Merc SLK 55 AMG--good or bad. I did some searches on it to discover the base non AMG SLK is looked upon as a girly car or little sister of the SL. The SLK 55 AMG with 420hp, much less weight, and all of the AMG performance options shouldn't be so girly.

I started a thread in the F-type forum, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-105603/, but it got no replies. I'm looking for good and bad opinions. My feelings will not be hurt.

P.S. I do think the Cayman is best the looking car in the Porsche line up other than the 918.

Last edited by DGL; 11-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 375 Posts

There is no question that the F Type is a firm ride. The Cayman on the other hand even with 19s is quite compliant and forgiving.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I too went back and forth between the F Type and 981 Cayman. I was not even considering the F Type Convert but wanted to get an idea of what the F Type Coupe would be like. Turns out, that I preferred the grand tourer XK Coupe over either one. Both cars are really fun but quite different. The only thing they both have in common is they are expensive!
Boca:

After going to the Jaguar dealer in El Paso, Texas (Garcia Jaguar) and looking at the F-type I liked the car, but too small and too pricey. I went into the showroom, saw a 2013 XKR convertible and loved it. Price was $108,000, offered the dealer $98,000. Their best price was $103,000.

Then I started my search for a used XKR and came up with the 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible in mint condition with 13,500 miles. Bought it (May 2013) sight unseen after a lot of research and dealing on price. Love the car.

Then my wife and I spent a month in Hawaii in August, and saw the Porsche Cayman 981. I went down to Porsche of Honolulu dealer. I looked at the car and loved the coupe style. Went back to the condo, searched on line for 5 or 6 Porsche dealers, cut a great deal with Porsche of Tucson and the next day after I returned from Hawaii, the car was delivered (August 2013).

Now the Jaguar XKR sits next to the Porsche Cayman 981 and I have a great choice of what to drive. XKR on nice days with top down and cruising, and the Porsche 981 when I want that sports car feel and ride.

I guess I have the best of both worlds. We only live once and we can't take our hard earned money with us. No kids. I am enjoying life and a recent retirement.

With 5 vehicles I have plenty of choices with the XKR and 981 my favorites by far.

Last edited by richzak; 11-03-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL

I will probably sell the SLK 55 AMG within a year.
And not a moment too soon. I Googled "girly car" and the SLK55 came up...not good. Please tell me you didn't buy a white one

The SLK 55 AMG with 420hp, much less weight, and all of the AMG performance options shouldn't be so girly.
Car guys will know what the "AMG" badge means...more expensive girly car

I started a thread in the F-type forum, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-105603/, but it got no replies.
So they're speachless...go figure!

I'm looking for good and bad opinions. My feelings will not be hurt.
Nice car, and just kidding...thought I'd test those feelings...hahaha. Please post pics...but if it's white I'm going to

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-03-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
And not a moment too soon. I Googled "girly car" and the SLK55 came up...not good. Please tell me you didn't buy a white one
OK, I'm not going to tell you it's WHITE. I'll just wear a dress when I drive it. You can now... me.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
OK, I'm not going to tell you it's WHITE. I'll just wear a dress when I drive it. You can now... me.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

SLK is always going to be known as a girly car no matter how much performance it packs. Unfortunate, but the way it has turned out... Just like Boxster is a wanna be 911.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
SLK is always going to be known as a girly car no matter how much performance it packs. Unfortunate, but the way it has turned out... Just like Boxster is a wanna be 911.
I remember seeing an episode of Top Gear, when Jeremy was talking about a Boxter vs 911. He said he couldn't understand why someone would drive a car that told the world life hadn't turned out exactly as you had hoped. I thought it was hilarious.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Girly cars? You guys are out of date on the cars and the journalist reviews of them. Take a seat, class is in session.

Porsche is touring the USA allowing prospects to drive Cayman and 911 4 wheel drive models back to back on half a banked loop and then through tight twisties. The Caymans pivot around your hips perfectly, 911s with all wheel drive are inferior but not by much and at prices way beyond point of diminishing returns. Top gear changed its tune on Boxster, and several US car mags say the cayman / Boxster are so good they question any 911 below Turbo and GT3 models.

SLK AMG is the only car in MB lineup to get that fabulous engine without turbos, and as a result it has superior linear power delivery AND sounds better as is almost always the case of normally aspirated vs blown. Also, that 3rd gen SLK is better looking than the new SL which lost its elegance in the front and rear (although it's a super Strong performer.

That said, I'll admit my first gen XKR coupe garners vastly greater attention and admiration from others than my superior handling first gen Boxster ever did. It's great to take on every muscle car I can find and prevail or tie, woo hooo! Boxster and 911 1999-2008 are to be avoided as even proactive parts replacement does not prevent that 5% chance of engine blowup sited earlier.

And that takes this thread WAY off course...

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked the new Boxster last year, and given it was a fun car to drive (even got the sales guy scared ) .. it was small with no room for well practically anything

So i opted for the 2nd hand XK.. a 2007 model with only 9000km on it.. which i now drove for about a year.. so I went to see the F type.. now the design is superbe, the color even better and the fun part ride even more.. but its not spacious, or should I say.. I could only sit in an "aggressive" seating position which I cannot hold for more than 2 hours.. In the XK I can relax a bit more.. (when desired)..

but the shocker was when we opened the boot.. well we all know that story.. - anyway the Sales guy told us, a big suitcase would fit .. (???)

so now, continuing to drive my 2007 model.. and perhaps go for a newer XK next year..

with that said (and to stay a bit on-topic), I do see the F type regularly in Dubai now.. apparently there is a market for those cars in the UAE

Last edited by Parzival; 11-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

The newer mercedes all look like Hondas.

/thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of girly cars with nice engine and handling that the journalists love...let's not forget the Miata!

Bruce

Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Speaking of girly cars with nice engine and handling that the journalists love...let's not forget the Miata!

Bruce
If the 420hp naturally aspired engine, sound, performance package with handling and AMG doesn't put a smile on my face I'll put a wig on and get a set of ***** to go with the car. However, my girly AMG will be passing all of the Porsche boxters, caymans, Jaguar XKs and a whole bunch of performance/sport cars out there with a guy wearing a wig and a set of *****. I'll definitely have fun with it. It can't be any more girlish than the G37 I sold.

To stay on topic the SLK has more truck space than the F-type, at least for now, until the coupe arrives. The F-type will never be looked at as a girly car.

Last edited by DGL; 11-04-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,299 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The F-type will never be looked at as a girly car.
Hmmmm...until you put 2 30 something year old guys in it with the lid down.

Quick Reply: Jag Sales Representative View Of F-Type