XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jag Techs stumped and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Jag Techs stumped and need help!

Sorry, didn't know there was a specific XK/XKR forum and hope I can find some help here.......
I own a 2007 Left-hand Drive XKR convert. Approx 76K miles.
For about 3-4 months, there has been a "rattle" coming from behind the back seat.
I have had it in twice for the Jag Techs to take apart the car. I took the tech for a drive and he heard it as well and said it was "definitely not normal".
The sound is similar to what it sounds like when you wiggle and scrape your fingernails back and forth across a paper notepad with full pressure, then add a bit of a metal component sound. It sounds very clear making one suspect it is not too far from the rear passenger compartment. Each sounds "episode" lasts around 3-5 seconds most commonly but depends on driving conditions and frequency of vibrations coming from engine.
Tech has fully checked trunk, spare tire, battery compartment, convert top mechanisms, trunk hinges, removed back seat, and checked suspension. I believe he also said he checked the emergency brake cable.
Sound comes from center of car and is most reliably reproduced when gently accelerating (15-30 mph) over mildly bumping pavement. Can also be heard (but less common) when coasting or lightly braking over similar pavement.
I have never heard above 50mph. It is loud enough to interrupt conversation if radio is off and make passengers ask "what's that sound?"
I have already spent more than $400 of the tech's time on two visits just trying to find the culprit and would very much appreciate some direction.
Lastly, yes, all items have been removed from trunk and glove box just in case.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by gwtbox
Sound comes from center of car and is most reliably reproduced when gently accelerating (15-30 mph) over mildly bumping pavement.
Sounds like it could very well be an exhaust system vibration. The dealer installed some exhaust bracing on my '08 XK for similar vibration.

The following users liked this post:
gwtbox (09-30-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

hi, I have the same problem for about 2 years. 2001 XKR convertible. I too have spent hundreds on diagnosis to no avail. I even replaced rear shocks and mine are the computer controlled shocks that cost 900 or more. I have tied everything down with electric ties and even sprayed the trunk and back wall with sound deadening material. I have been very frustated and cannot for the life of me believe that no one has been able to find the culprit, there are many reports of this problem on internet and this forum. There is one hope for you check the hydraulic pump and reservoir. it is located on the right side of trunk above the CD player behind the grey liner. It is easy to pull the liner, take the 2 wing nut bolts from the black rear light cover and remove the cover and just pull the liner away from side wall you will see a long cylinder with hoses. Ok now you will notice that the unit has 2 Allen style bolts holding it down to the CD encasement or frame first make sure those two bolts are tight if not, that could be your culprit if they are tight you can get some hard rubber for a buffer and pull the unit forward and slip the rubber from behind the unit to buffer any vibration it may have which in turn would knock against the metal case. When you pull the unit foward don't be too aggressive but it will tilt forward, tilt being the operative word here. This has exhausted my thoughts and was the last thing I have tried and I actually think it made a difference although I still hear a rattle now and then, which makes me think it was only my hopeful thinking that it worked, but it is definitely worth a shot. My only next suggestion after this is to keep the top down as much as possible because I have never heard the rattle with top down and of course this is why we enjoy our convertible XKR so much, because the top does go down, also if weather does not permit the top down and it must be up I would suggest turning up the music so loud you cannot hear the rattle!!! Kind regards, Mitchell
This info is also for anyone else with same problem and if anyone does find the real and actual culprit PLEASE publish your finding so we can all drive in peace. Thanks

gwtbox (09-30-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar intermittant rattle on a 2007 normally aspirated XK. I believe my problem was the semi-active exhaust valves rattling when they were closed - which no one seemed to believe. I solved the problem by selling the car and buying a 2008 XKR

If it is the exhaust valves, on a supercharged car, a simple test would be to pull fuse 19 out of the fusebox in the middle of the rear seats which will stop the vacuum pump closing the baffles. Exhaust will be louder cause it's basically bypassing the rear muffler but it will help eliminate the exhaust valves or the vacuum pump which controls them as a possible rattle source.

gwtbox (09-30-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

The solenoid thingy that controls the exhaust (muffler) system valves is in the left rear wheel well. I have seen the motor come away from the rubber mounts and the motor rattles away at certain intervals while driving. Just have to remove the wheel arch liner on the left rear wheel. Just a thought.

gwtbox (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Found problem-please share!

I can't thank all of you enough for your kind advice. I have gone through each of the suggestions...
1-hydraulic pump and reservoir; all secure and not the culprit but in the course of taking entire trunk apart, I did discover two small torx bit screws that held the trim to the front edge of the tonneau cover. Both were very loose. Now tight. Still no change in sound.
2-Fuse 19 (box between back seats) pulled to disable exhaust baffles/valves; I pulled the fuse but never really heard a change in the sound of the exhaust (or the sound I started this whole hunt for either). So I put the fuse back in. The Jag Tech is going to check the issue Monday to find out why there was not a change. As a point of completeness, I got under and manually moved both exhaust valves/baffles and both had a good slow-resistance movement and there was no rattle with them. Ultimately, this was not the cause of the rattle noise.
3-Solenoid control for active exhaust; I got up in the left rear wheel well located the solenoid control module for the active exhaust system. All mounting and hardware was secure. Not the cause of my noise/rattle.

FINALLY, I went back to the usual suspects even though I had been assured by the tech they were checked and found to be fine.
I wiggled under the car and felt the emergency brake cable. Sure enough, when wiggled, it had two metal links that clinked against the frame. To just prove the point, I took some good old-fashioned duct tape and wrapped the two parts. For good measure, I also re-inspected the muffler brackets. The one in front of the muffler with the prong that faces the front of the car (reddish/orange rubber holder) had a loose mounting bolt. Since I was unable to get in at the bolt, I also wedged tape in there to keep it from wiggling.
Drove car......noise GONE!!!!!

This coming Monday, the tech is not only going to look at the fuse 19 issue described above but also drop bracket to muffler and tighten mounting bolt.

It has been so nice to have a quiet Jag again!!!!! Will be good when repairs are final.

I am going to try to load two pics and one video of the "noise makers" when I can find the help page that teaches how to do this. In the mean time, please ask any questions if I need to be more specific/descriptive.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the fix. There is nothing like getting your car properly sorted no matter what the issue is. Can't wait to see the pics I am very curious...

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by gwtbox
Since I was unable to get in at the bolt, I also wedged tape in there to keep it from wiggling.
Drove car......noise GONE!!!!!

This coming Monday, the tech is not only going to look at the fuse 19 issue described above but also drop bracket to muffler and tighten mounting bolt.

It has been so nice to have a quiet Jag again!!!!! Will be good when repairs are final.

Good work ! Odd noises can be a real stinker to track down

I wish I could report positive results with a rattle I've been fighting on my old '95. I have (seriously) about 30 hours of time invested. I have discovered and repaired numerous noise makers and the car is much quieter overall but I still haven't met with total success

Cheers
DD

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Turn off your hearing aid doug