XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jag USA Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I don't think you can sue for being embarrassed that there is a large oil slick leading to your house.
A garden hose, some powdered laundry detergent, a broom used as a scrubber....and you're done in 10 minutes. Hardly worth the price of an attorney.

The dealer should have sent a shop helper out to the house to do that very thing. They management missed a huge opportunity by not doing so.

How a business responds to a problem is everything. A mistake, *properly remedied without argument*, can actually *increase* customer loyalty and satisfaction

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
al_roethlisberger (01-10-2016), ralphwg (01-02-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks all,
Again it is partially my fault for not taking it in right away although the code history was there for them to see. The oil Change and grease on the seat made it worse. I over reacted by putting JAG USA
Sucks. I should have not used Sucks and if the Web administrator can remove it I would prefer it. I very much like my car but felt that the reputation of Jaguar is so bad that is why our cars depreciate so fast. I think my experience has a lot to do with that. Jaguar missed a chance because I thought about their new SUV but will not conceder it now.

P.S. The street will have to wait to spring. I have taken some ribbing from my neighbors.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
I very much like my car but felt that the reputation of Jaguar is so bad that is why our cars depreciate so fast.
This is not helped by over reacting to situations that are somewhat self induced.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
This is not helped by over reacting to situations that are somewhat self induced.
The seat, the oil mess and time and labor were not self induced. I asked for help on all three issues from Jag USA and the best answer was we will note it to the dealer. They could have been a big help just by offering the cost of the part $500 out of the $1850 and you would have never heard from me.
Or even a free oil change next year would have made a big difference.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM

The seat, the oil mess and time and labor were not self induced. I asked for help on all three issues from Jag USA and the best answer was we will note it to the dealer.
It was the dealer, not Jag USA that was responsible for the error. The dealer should have remedied the situation without argument. Blame them.

They could have been a big help just by offering the cost of the part $500 out of the $1850....
Or even a free oil change next year would have made a big difference.
Again, the converter issue being left unattended for an extended period is your bad. Owner negligence is not covered by warranty. They might have 'sneaked it through' the system but with the warranty already expired, not much chance.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2010 that they just agreed to replace the water pump at no charge if I paid to flush the radiator. Could not be more happy with the dealer or Jag. Time from drop off to final resolution was 1.5 hours. The car has no extended warranty and has never been taken to the dealership for maintenance as I do all of the work. Did not even purchase it from the dealer that went to bat for me. Very happy!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Again, the converter issue being left unattended for an extended period is your bad. Owner negligence is not covered by warranty. They might have 'sneaked it through' the system but with the warranty already expired, not much chance.
They should have sold you the converters at cost and a huge break on labor at the very least.

I disagree with a vehicle sitting is negligence or that it would cause premature converter failure. If that were true then all new converters sitting on dealer shelves should be sold quickly or scrapped before they go bad? I've never had a unit fail on a Toyota. Ever. Including the one I drive less than 1500 miles a year. My other Toyota has 192,000 miles with the original converter! The driver side on my XKR went bad 4 months before the warranty ran out thank God. Ridiculous, unacceptable, unbelievable, embarrassing, and shameful for any 38k mile car. Even more so for a $100,000 car. NO converter should fail with less than 80,000 miles-period. Either the substrate has too little catalyzing material, the O2 sensors are sub-par or the EFI system is too sensitive in a perfectly fine running car. If Jaguar cared at all about it's customers they should, at the very least, sell the part at cost. It's environmentally responsible and shows good will as an added bonus.

With it's new products Jaguar can only survive on "new" customers for so long. At some point there going to need repeat customers and this is not how you do it. Sure I can't afford a new Jag but if someday I can the question is, would I? Standing on "out of warranty" destroys brand loyalty. No technician could look you straight in the eye and yes the converter should fail with 38k miles. They need to stand behind the product or be reasonable and responsible when it's blatantly obvious premature failure.

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-04-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flyc2c

I disagree with a vehicle sitting is negligence or that it would cause premature converter failure.

I don't believe that's the contention.

What was meant by "....being left unattended...." was the decision to wait a few weeks before getting it to the dealer.....which put the car over the warranty limits.

Personally I agree that some goodwill assistance would've be nice but, technically, Jaguar's obligation ended when the warranty expired.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM

I disagree with a vehicle sitting is negligence or that it would cause premature converter failure. If that were true then all new converters sitting on dealer shelves should be sold quickly or scrapped before they go bad?
There was no mention of the vehicle sitting. The OP apparently continued to drive it with the MIL illuminated. No different than a low oil pressure or engine overheat warning, prompt action by the owner might have mitigated the amount of damage done.

The 'nail in the coffin' was the dealer finding the date on which the fault code was first registered. Had it been recent (a few days or a week) possibly there could have been some goodwill extended. Very difficult for a dealer to spin a story to HQ soliciting post-warranty help when the OP took no action.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Mikey,
No it's not hard for a dealer to go to bat for one of its customers in a situation like this. (see the post about the 2010 water pump). It unfortunately should be standard dealer behavior, but as you can see individual dealership's behavior varies greatly. And if one of my workers made a mess at a customer's house, and I received notice of it, I would have someone there to clean it up within minutes because reputation of how you deal with problems always tells you something about the character of the company with whom you're dealing.

Case in point: Two weeks ago I ordered a rebuilt steering rack for my 2002 XKR from a source. The rack came damaged, and we picked one up locally so that I could get my car back that day. I notified the company late in the evening via email when I got home. Within minutes, I had received an email notifying me that my credit card had been issued a full credit and that I did not need to send the damaged unit back. My attitude went from being highly annoyed to one of profound respect for the company for handling the situation so quickly and professionally. I would gladly buy from them again in the future because of this. Dealers have lots of sway with the parent companies and every part of this transaction was handled poorly.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Mikey,
No it's not hard for a dealer to go to bat for one of its customers in a situation like this. (see the post about the 2010 water pump). It unfortunately should be standard dealer behavior, but as you can see individual dealership's behavior varies greatly.
Dealers have lots of sway with the parent companies and every part of this transaction was handled poorly.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

LOTS of variables.

And if one of my workers made a mess at a customer's house, and I received notice of it, I would have someone there to clean it up within minutes because reputation of how you deal with problems always tells you something about the character of the company with whom you're dealing.

It sure does! Everybody can look good when things go smoothly. When things go 'tango uniform' you have a chance to see what a business is really made of.

Case in point: Two weeks ago I ordered a rebuilt steering rack for my 2002 XKR from a source. The rack came damaged, and we picked one up locally so that I could get my car back that day. I notified the company late in the evening via email when I got home. Within minutes, I had received an email notifying me that my credit card had been issued a full credit and that I did not need to send the damaged unit back. My attitude went from being highly annoyed to one of profound respect for the company for handling the situation so quickly and professionally. I would gladly buy from them again in the future because of this.

One example, of many, from my past is when one of the guys forgot to put oil in a customer's engine. First time the customer had ever visited our dealership. Gah! Naturally the engine was destroyed in about 2 minutes. Long story short, that customer not only continued to service his car with us but over the next ten years or so ended up buying two new cars from us.....and he said outright, several times, that is was all because we handled a major screw-up professionally and promptly.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
tberg (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

There was no mention of the vehicle sitting. The OP apparently continued to drive it with the MIL illuminated. No different than a low oil pressure or engine overheat warning, prompt action by the owner might have mitigated the amount of damage done.

The 'nail in the coffin' was the dealer finding the date on which the fault code was first registered. Had it been recent (a few days or a week) possibly there could have been some goodwill extended. Very difficult for a dealer to spin a story to HQ soliciting post-warranty help when the OP took no action.
True.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Mikey,
No it's not hard for a dealer to go to bat for one of its customers in a situation like this. (see the post about the 2010 water pump). It unfortunately should be standard dealer behavior, but as you can see individual dealership's behavior varies greatly. And if one of my workers made a mess at a customer's house, and I received notice of it, I would have someone there to clean it up within minutes because reputation of how you deal with problems always tells you something about the character of the company with whom you're dealing.
Agree entirely that the dealer caused the oil spill and that they should have remedied it immediately to the OP's satisfaction.

The issue concerning the cat required a special sign off from Jag HQ, as the warranty was expired at the time the claim was submitted. Their being presented with a case of an owner driving around with the MIL illuminated for a month or two before taking action doesn't garner many brownie points, expired warranty or not.

My SWMBO was the warranty person for a major engine OEM in the aviation field. She saw many cases similar to the OP's over the decades and denied them consistently.

I was the field support guy trying to argue 'ya, but'.... It got me nowhere.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM

True.
By waiting to bring it in for the fall winterization I put no more than 25 to 35 miles on it and 10 of that was to the dealership. It was maybe three to four weeks in October not to many top down days. I had previously bought the OBD11 as suggested in these posts and knew what the code was right away. There are suggestions in the posts on that code to reset it because it would normally be a bad sensor with such low milage on the car. It came back after a week.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I am just starting to read this thread, and that is the type of dealership "experience" I have gotten at the dealership. I am not going back because it has been a case of once it drives off the lot, the wipe their dirty hands clean on the trousers. What was the dealership in question? Is public shaming allowed?

Old 05-28-2022, 06:07 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by eksjaysix
Is public shaming allowed?
I don't own this place so I don't have any say in the matter, but I personally don't see a problem with discussing dealership issues. Sometimes, talking about issues allows other eyes on the problem that may see a solution you don't. However, there is a line between a dissatisfied customer relaying their experience, and someone violating tort law. If you decide to name names beyond the name of the dealership, I'd say that as long as you post under the assumption that everything you release into the wild online will eventually find its way home, do whatever you feel your legal budget can afford.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mandrake:
ralphwg (05-28-2022), Sean W (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
I don't own this place so I don't have any say in the matter, but I personally don't see a problem with discussing dealership issues. Sometimes, talking about issues allows other eyes on the problem that may see a solution you don't. However, there is a line between a dissatisfied customer relaying their experience, and someone violating tort law. If you decide to name names beyond the name of the dealership, I'd say that as long as you post under the assumption that everything you release into the wild online will eventually find its way home, do whatever you feel your legal budget can afford.
Well that and read the forum rules.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/

The problem with threads like this is we only get one side of the story.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (05-29-2022)