XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar Approved / CPO Documents

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts
Default Jaguar Approved / CPO Documents

I posted in General Tech Help last week asking if anyone had information about the Approved Mileage Check Certificate and Provenance Check Certificate which come with Jaguar Approved/Certified Pre-Owned vehicles:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...folder-227231/

203 Views but not a single Reply. Anyone here know anything about these Certificates? I'd like to see a copy to know what Jaguar Dealers check and how they go about it.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
George05 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Found this for you Graham ,

GGG (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I posted in General Tech Help last week asking if anyone had information about the Approved Mileage Check Certificate and Provenance Check Certificate which come with Jaguar Approved/Certified Pre-Owned vehicles:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...folder-227231/

203 Views but not a single Reply. Anyone here know anything about these Certificates? I'd like to see a copy to know what Jaguar Dealers check and how they go about it.

Graham
I just gave all of my documents of my 2012 CPO XKR to the new owner. In that package was the CPO check list that was provided to me when I bought the car. I seem to recall there were over 100-130 items that were checked during the CPO certification. I still think you can get this list from Jaguar.

GGG (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:20 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by jagtoes
..... In that package was the CPO check list that was provided to me when I bought the car. I seem to recall there were over 100-130 items that were checked during the CPO certification. I still think you can get this list from Jaguar.
I have the checklist:

The "Approved" folder has pockets in for the Approved Mileage Check Certificate and Provenance Check Certificate. It's these Certificates I'd like to see:

Were they with your document set?

Graham

Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I bought two CPO XK's and neither had that elaborate binder (one was totaled the other a replacement). I had a 2 part white/yellow carbon copy 8.5 x 11 that was hand written with check list, then a small passport book. I have shared the front and contents page from that staple bound book. That is it...

GGG (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 03:37 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by tampamark
I bought two CPO XK's and neither had that elaborate binder (one was totaled the other a replacement). I had a 2 part white/yellow carbon copy 8.5 x 11 that was hand written with check list, then a small passport book. I have shared the front and contents page from that staple bound book. That is it...
Thanks for that detail.

All the Jaguar contact numbers in the binder I have are for UK and Europe where the scheme is called Approved so the support documentation in the US for the equivalent CPO is clearly less detailed although the Checklist is the same. We have also had OSH (Online Service History) since 2014 which still hasn't been introduced in the US. No paper Passport to Service documents over here.

Others have suggested CPO is more about dealers pricing higher than anything else. I'm starting to agree that it is a way of inflating the cost of the best used vehicles. The approved XK's and F-Types I've looked at recently have all been excellent examples but priced well above the other used vehicles at the dealers.

Graham

George05 (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

I agree its a Dealers game they want top buck for theirs but pay bottom dollar for yours

Old 01-07-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
We have also had OSH (Online Service History) since 2014 which still hasn't been introduced in the US.
How does this work when you service your car outside dealerships?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I have the checklist:

The "Approved" folder has pockets in for the Approved Mileage Check Certificate and Provenance Check Certificate. It's these Certificates I'd like to see:

Were they with your document set?

Graham
I only got the signed checklist and no other binder.

GGG (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Thanks for that detail.

Others have suggested CPO is more about dealers pricing higher than anything else. I'm starting to agree that it is a way of inflating the cost of the best used vehicles. The approved XK's and F-Types I've looked at recently have all been excellent examples but priced well above the other used vehicles at the dealers.

Graham
My take is a bit different...yes the price is inflated, they are providing a limited warranty with the car that equates to after-market insurance coverage policies, at least that is what is offered here in the US. Some people just want the reassurance of extra coverage.

Perhaps this is remedial info, but I will start as from scratch anyway. Here we can purchase a car and get aftermarket limited coverage (provided by Insurance companies) either from the dealer at purchase or after the fact directly with an insurance provider. Many mistake it for a warranty, regardless they can cost anywhere from $1000 to $4000 depending on mileage allocated and different coverage options. Unfortunately as has been widely reported the insurance provider will at time try their best to deny claims, citing pre-existing condition or some other fine print eliminator. If you want a coverage this is less desirable, better to go with a CPO in my opinion but then can only buy from a Jaguar dealer.

With the CPO you have a built-in price for extended coverage, I have had CPO with both BMW and Jaguar and have found that it is very well done and straight forward, either a part is listed in your coverage or it is not. If it is they cover. Like any car purchase it is up to you to negotiate the final buy price, certainly a CPO will have a starting price tag more than a non-CPO, but what you pay is up to you and what they are willing to sacrifice. For my previous BMW I was watching two local dealers, both had CPO cars for sale. One would not budge on price, the other came down significantly, I ended up buying a car with less miles for what I felt was a non-CPO price and got the CPO coverage! Like any extended coverage you may or may not get the value out of the purchase.

With the Jag not sure, I picked the CPO car I wanted and it was in the range I had researched, I negotiated the deal and moved on. Sometimes comparing car prices is difficult, used vehicles are like diamonds, they just aren't all the same. Different mileage, different condition, different colors and options.

ralphwg (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:39 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by SinF
How does this work when you service your car outside dealerships?
JLR is obliged to make the OSH system available to independents. Any independent with a TOPIx account can add a service to a vehicle history:

The one restriction is only JLR can make amendments to a service history record. If an independent makes a mistake entering the record, they must contact JLR to correct it.

The OSH system is disturbingly insecure. It used to require a user account and individual password to access a vehicle record but now all it takes is the VIN. For example, given the VIN, I can access any JLR vehicle online service history.

Graham

Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by tampamark
My take is a bit different...yes the price is inflated, they are providing a limited warranty with the car that equates to after-market insurance coverage policies, at least that is what is offered here in the US. Some people just want the reassurance of extra coverage...... With the Jag not sure, I picked the CPO car I wanted and it was in the range I had researched, I negotiated the deal and moved on. Sometimes comparing car prices is difficult, used vehicles are like diamonds, they just aren't all the same. Different mileage, different condition, different colors and options.
Agreed. I was being a bit harsh in my comment.

Certainly in the UK the Approved vehicles represent the cream of used Jaguars and that, together with the included dealer backup and support, deserves a premium.

Graham