XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar Project 7 omg! The Ultimate Jag

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts
Thumbs up Jaguar Project 7 omg! The Ultimate Jag

Just after watching the video of the Jaguar Project 7, after 8 times already.
Just one word UNBELIEVABLE and the sound, it's amazing, the hairs are still standing on the backs of my hands, maybe someday. Is it in production. This has to be the ultimate jag.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Project 7 omg! The Ultimate Jag-jaguar-project-7-concept-main-art.jpg   Jaguar Project 7 omg! The Ultimate Jag-72.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
jaguarcraver (08-23-2014), ralphwg (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

And, that's the way it comes from the factory!!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I think it's silly. To me the project is all hollow nonsense unless Jaguar actually makes a return to motorsport. Until then, these sorts of projects are just making a mockery of Jaguar's history...

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Pretty cool show and it would be great if the new Jaguar would get back into racing at all of it's previous levels. These test bed cars provide a platform to develop performance features . As in the past they have eventually been moved from the test vehicle to the production cars. Speaking of which I'll be seeing a few XK140 , XK150 and XKE's racing at the Vintage Fall Festival at Lime Rock Park in Ct. next weekend. Great show in the north east .

Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

With the introduction of the new F-Type I was disappointed at first because I was looking for a next generation supercar from Jaguar with AWD on a hybrid platform. I thought the Jaguar prototype C-X75 was setting the stage for something spectacular and innovative. Nissan (GTR R36), Acura (NSX) with their deep pockets will introduce the next generation of affordable hybrid supercars very soon. Albeit, the first ones out of the gate will most likely be riddled with issues until the technology is tested and improved. This being said, Jaguar is playing it safe, IMO, by introducing a well rounded street sport car based on traditional technology. Consequently, I can't see Jaguar producing a cutting edge racing machine without partnering with a racing team or leaving it to the after market to build the track car.

The F-type is a super fun street roadster based on traditional technology--not cutting edge but a very well rounded fun street car. If Jaguar successfully reinvents itself maybe it will come out with a real supercar using what it has learnt from the research it put into the C-X75. After all, for good or bad, hybridization is the cross road to future electric cars. Elon Musk, of Tesla, is leap frogging straight to electric cars. I believe we are living at the end of an era. Race cars and sport cars, as we traditionally know them, will not be built in 10-15 years, IMO.

Last edited by DGL; 08-23-2014 at 09:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
MaximA (08-25-2014), ralphwg (08-24-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure I read somewhere yesterday that one of our forum members has it on order already. Can't wait to hear more.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A grossly overpriced special edition for those needing to feel special. Cool car nonetheless but........

The following users liked this post:
DGL (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

DGL,
I think the life span of electric/gas hybrids and of all electric cars will be very short, maybe not even as long as 10-15 years. Hydrogen is coming and the infrastructure needed to keep any vehicle fueled, whether gas, battery charging or hydrogen, is not being done for battery powered cars with the exception of Tesla. So, all of the other electric cars like the Nissan Leaf...are all fake, produced only to increase the average mileage for federal C.A.F.E. ratings.
Otherwise, Nissan, Toyota, GM, etc. would be building quick charging stations all over the country as Elon Musk has done with Tesla. So, if you want to go on a trip of more than 100 miles, which is the upper limit of all of the electric cars available except Tesla, you need to stop every hour and a half and charge your car for eight hours to get another hour and a half of driving. It's ridiculous and it's fake. These are not real cars. I'm not crazy about Tesla's cars (the original roadster was such a piece of junk), but I have tremendous respect for Mr. Musk's efforts to go it alone and provide a nationwide network of supercharging stations that will give a significant charge in about the same time as a gas station stop. And Teslas are already capable of going about 300 miles on a full charge, so you're not limited to local driving.

GM, BMW, and others have been road testing hydrogen powered cars for years, and there is a small network of hydrogen stations, but mark my word, hydrogen powered cars will be the future sooner rather than later.

Last edited by tberg; 08-27-2014 at 11:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (08-27-2014), Executive (08-28-2014), ralphwg (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Interesting. You don't hear much about hydrogen in the news.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
A grossly overpriced special edition for those needing to feel special. Cool car nonetheless but........

Somebody is probably saying the same thing about your overpriced XKR that makes you feel special on the Mustang forums.

Originally Posted by tberg
DGL,
I think the life span of electric/gas hybrids and of all electric cars will be very short, maybe not even as long as 10-15 years. Hydrogen is coming and the infrastructure needed to keep any vehicle fueled, whether gas, battery charging or hydrogen, is not being done for battery powered cars with the exception of Tesla. So, all of the other electric cars like the Nissan Leaf...are all fake, produced only to increase the average mileage for federal C.A.F.E. ratings.
Otherwise, Nissan, Toyota, GM, etc. would be building quick charging stations all over the country as Elon Musk has done with Tesla. So, if you want to go on a trip of more than 100 miles, which is the upper limit of all of the electric cars available except Tesla, you need to stop every hour and a half and charge your car for eight hours to get another hour and a half of driving. It's ridiculous and it's fake. These are not real cars. I'm not crazy about Tesla's cars (the original roadster was such a piece of junk), but I have tremendous respect for Mr. Musk's efforts to go it alone and provide a nationwide network of supercharging stations that will give a significant charge in about the same time as a gas station stop. And Teslas are already capable of going about 300 miles on a full charge, so you're not limited to local driving.

GM, BMW, and others have been road testing hydrogen powered cars for years, and there is a small network of hydrogen stations, but mark my word, hydrogen powered cars will be the future sooner rather than later.

So true. Hydrogen is the way to go. Electric cars are the stupidest idea to ever enter automotive industry. They have had the technology for 100 years, if it was a good one, half the cars on the road would be electric. I refer to it more of a trend than anything else, because nobody is saving the earth by increasing the amount of coal already burning to provide electricity.

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
ralphwg (08-28-2014), tberg (08-28-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
+1 add stickers, a scoop and less additional HP than just a tune can get you ... a marketing stunt, nothing special.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
DGL,

Completely disagree. Hydrogen power requires an infrastructure much more so than electric. Hydrogen needs specialized infrastructure with high pressure tanks, so regular gas stations cannot just disperse it but need to eb converted, tanks dug up etc. High pressure tanks in everyday cars is way too dangerous, imagine a parking garage full of hydrogen cars and has a fire and explodes ... entire block gone. Electricity is everywhere, it is just a question how to charge you for it. Electricity is much cheaper than generating hydrogen and again transport it to the stations that deliver it. We will much rather see electric wires embedded in road surfaces of major high ways that power you electric car directly through induction and you only need your on board battery for when you leave the major road ways.
Every light could easily trickle charge your car whenever you park and they charge you a buck more, bingo battery topped off while you are at work.

As for the electric car being a gimmick, well I do not know of a single car that can satisfy all needs. Most people don't need a truck and most people who own a truck probably think that a Fiat 500 or Smartcar is nonsense and would not be caught in that death trap. While people who live in metro areas have no need for 100+ mile range. People look at high performance sport cars and say how stupid it is to have 500+hp and "bad" for the planet. I see the same comments in regards to "jacked" up trucks with big tires mudding it up.

Truth is that the electric motor is way more efficient and much lower on maintenance than any combustion engine no matter the type of fuel used ever will be. An electric motor has basically zero maintenance requirement.The instant torque of the electric motor allows for a much smaller engine to power a heavy vehicle compared to any combustion engine. There will be no case for a future combustion engine, except of course for the automobile lobby which wants the continued maintenance ie lubricants and filter changes, spare parts for fuel and water pumps, none of which you have on electric cars. Look at today's hybrids in their infancy, all maintencae is solely for the gas engine part, zero for the electric engine part.

I own two Jags, a Nissan Armada and a Prius to satisfy my families needs. We have fun in the Jags and use them for my weekend car meets and family movie and restaurant outings. We need the truck to haul our stuff to and from the boat and the Prius is my commuter. The Prius is the easiest car I have ever owned and driven to work. I had TDIs and some Audis for my commute prior. I though getting 52MPG in the TDI was sliced bread but it cannot compete to the Prius in terms of cost of ownership driving 30,000 miles a year to and from work, not even close.

Last edited by Schwabe; 08-29-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

You guys do know that we have an F-Type subforum, right?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow

Old 08-31-2014, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=Executive;1045476]Somebody is probably saying the same thing about your overpriced XKR that makes you feel special on the Mustang forums.

I don't own an XKR, but I get the point. Its a Coyote V8 straight from Mustang. Tuned properly it puts out 414/415HP just like the Mustang GT on a FAR sexier body.

Last edited by ddsski; 08-31-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Schwabe,
I, respectfully disagree. My point was (is) that if electric car manufacturers were truly serious about electric cars being the wave of the future, they would all be furiously investing in fast charging stations all over the country. Except for Tesla, none of them is doing anything. That is not to say that there isn't a place for glorified golf carts as short commuter vehicles, there is. But, it necessitates having another vehicle for longer commutes or trips.

Hydrogen is the most plentiful element in the universe, and it's byproduct as a fuel is water. There will be challenges in developing delivery systems and dealing with potential impact collisions, but that could have been said about the origins of any previous fuel system.

Thousand pound battery packs with all of the environmental problems associated with their disposal will not be the answer to long term development of the automobile. In addition, the federal and state governments would stand to lose billions of dollars of highway taxes without a measurable, taxable fuel delivery system.

I do believe hydrogen will be the fuel of choice for future vehicles, it's only a matter of time.

Executive (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Just because things gain commercial success, cars like Prius, Tesla, doesn't mean they are necessarily good.

Taking all the production costs in mind -- the Prius costs about $3.25 per mile and is expected to last about 100,000 miles. Something like a Chevy Tahoe, on the other hand, with all the same factors counted, costs about $1.95 per mile and is expected to last about 300,000 miles.

Prius isn't saving the earth that's for sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
ralphwg (09-01-2014), tberg (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

The Prius is actually the "dirtiest" car on earth to produce environmentally speaking. This has been well documented in many publications. This is primarily due to the manufacturing of the enormous and toxic battery packs. But, of course, the ends always justify the means! (don't they?)

ralphwg (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

The biggest problem with hydrogen as a clean fuel is that, for now at least, the vast majority of it is derived from fossils fuels.

It is true that hydrogen is the most plentiful element, but it isn't distributed evenly in the universe. In our little blue corner of the universe, most of it is locked up in other compounds.

You can make hydrogen from water, but that takes electricity. And most of that electricity comes from burning fossils fuels.

Can't win for losing.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Besides fact that storage is ultra high risk and cylinders with enough protection are probably VERY heavy which doesn't bode well for efficiency. Much work to be done here.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Project 7 omg! The Ultimate Jag