XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XK 06/07 - issues, any recall, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XK 06/07 - issues, any recall, etc?

Hi all.
Im interested in buying a Jaguar XK 06/07. I've never owned a Jaguar before so thats why I created this thread. Im owner of a Mercedes coupe CLK500 04/04 which is a very solid car and never had any problem with it.
Could you guys point me some issues of the XK 07.. does it have any recall ? What should I check before buying the car? Its a very new unit, with 17.000 km/10.000 miles , still have the plastic on carpet, etc. The only "problem"is that the owner has lost the replacement key but I've read its not a big deal. Is it?

What about service, parts,etc? Brake pads, filters, brake discs, shock absorbers ? Are they soo expensive?

Thats the car im talking about:

Jaguar Xk-8 2007 V8 18.100 Km, 2007 - Carros - Samambaia Sul, Brasília | bomnegócio agora é OLX.com.br

Anyway, I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me with some infos.

Thank you all.

Ricardo

Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 3,173 Posts

By "Replacement" key, does that mean the entire extra Smart Key? Those are quite pricey and cost a bit to get programmed. They are married to the original car, so getting a used one causes more problems than the cost savings. If you meant the Emergency Key Blade, then those are pretty easy and inexpensive to replace.
Brake pads and rotors are not much more money than any other decent vehicle, but they tend to wear out a bit quicker (mostly because speed is addictive?). Oil and filters also isn't so horrible. Most people tend to prefer the dealer to job it, and the cost is somewhere between $150-250 USD. Me, I have an independent shop who specializes in European vehicles and I usually pay around $85 USD for full synthetic.
Overall, these cars are pretty much rock-solid and VERY fun. One tip if you decide to buy; get a battery maintainer such as a CTEK to keep the battery fully topped as these cars do get finicky with any drop in voltage.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Pash (11-12-2015), ricardovasco (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
By "Replacement" key, does that mean the entire extra Smart Key? Those are quite pricey and cost a bit to get programmed. They are married to the original car, so getting a used one causes more problems than the cost savings. If you meant the Emergency Key Blade, then those are pretty easy and inexpensive to replace.
Brake pads and rotors are not much more money than any other decent vehicle, but they tend to wear out a bit quicker (mostly because speed is addictive?). Oil and filters also isn't so horrible. Most people tend to prefer the dealer to job it, and the cost is somewhere between $150-250 USD. Me, I have an independent shop who specializes in European vehicles and I usually pay around $85 USD for full synthetic.
Overall, these cars are pretty much rock-solid and VERY fun. One tip if you decide to buy; get a battery maintainer such as a CTEK to keep the battery fully topped as these cars do get finicky with any drop in voltage.
Thanks Cee Jay!

I need to double check about the key. The owner said he lost the reserve key so I think its the complete key with command .
I forgot to mention that he also said I do need a new battery. The car is being sold at a Car shop so the guy said every week he tries to turn the car on its a little hard. The car still have the same tires it came with. Are the stock tires , run flat? I don't like RF so I would replace for normal ones, probably Michelin.

What type/brand of oil the car uses ? Mobil 1 0-40w?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Run-flat was an unpopular option, so probably not. I would personally stay away from ANY Michelin tire, as I just replaced my Pilot Super Sports after 3000 miles because they were the absolute worst tires I've ever owned. Half the tread on one of them separated from the belts and had many pieces missing along with the belt separation.
Since you are in a warmer climate, any Full Synthetic 10w40 would work. I live in a colder location so I switch to a 5w30 during the winter months. Your 18.000 miles is a nice low mileage example, so even 10w30 would be good for that one. (How much in USD is R$145.000?)

Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Run-flat was an unpopular option, so probably not. I would personally stay away from ANY Michelin tire, as I just replaced my Pilot Super Sports after 3000 miles because they were the absolute worst tires I've ever owned. Half the tread on one of them separated from the belts and had many pieces missing along with the belt separation.
Since you are in a warmer climate, any Full Synthetic 10w40 would work. I live in a colder location so I switch to a 5w30 during the winter months. Your 18.000 miles is a nice low mileage example, so even 10w30 would be good for that one. (How much in USD is R$145.000?)
Thanks. I've heard some bad things about Michelin lifetime but I got them on my CLK500 and I really like the grip ,silence and comfort. Actually the car got 18.000 km. Its 10.500 miles. ( is the service from 10 to 10.000km? ) .
R$145.000 = 38K USD but the guy accepted 120k reais = 31k usd. Im sure I could buy 2 XK 2007 in US LOL

Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Not really that horrible an exchange rate. A 2007 XK with 11,000 miles here is right about what you have there, and the accepted 31k isn't bad at all.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

You can't go wrong with a low mileage "07 XK; as CeeJay say's new battery and a Ctek charger will be perfect.
5w-30 oil & filter every 10K is Jag recommended; I do my own for about $50, very easy.
Oil changes are the cheapest part of ownership! Brakes and tyres most expensive; rear brakes are a bit small (from sedan) don't last too long, 20K?
I have Handkook tyres very smooth and low cost BUT lost 2 mpg! but who cares when you drive such a wonderful vehicle; best Jag I've ever owned(13).
Go for it.......................

Cheers & enjoy, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
Pash (11-12-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

With the 4.2, the issues are:
  • The A/C drain can block, and it's behind the dash & above the transmission so it's hard/expensive to get at & fix.
  • The dash leather tends to shrink and pull away in hot climates.
  • There haven't been any 'recalls', but there are a few technical bulletins about issues, small defects, that should have been fixed by dealers already. It's worth checking with a dealer that those have been done (they should be able to tell you by entering the VIN into their system).

And with all XKs, the battery needs to be kept fully charged - if you don't use the car regularly (30 minute journeys 2-3 times per week), then you should use a battery maintainer.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Default Good tires

Eu tenho um XK 2007 for some time. eu gosto do tires Continental. eles sao all-season para o Brazil e provavelmente a melhor opcao. Aqui em Atlanta o clima e similar to brasilia. o preco aqui com a milhagem baicah e por volta dos 30K

Old 11-04-2015, 03:00 PM
GGG
Received 16,850 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by mlaraujo
Eu tenho um XK 2007 for some time. eu gosto do tires Continental. eles sao all-season para o Brazil e provavelmente a melhor opcao. Aqui em Atlanta o clima e similar to brasilia. o preco aqui com a milhagem baicah e por volta dos 30K
Welcome to the forum mlaraujo,

English only on the forum please.

Follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham