XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XK not starting intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XK not starting intermittently

Hi

My recently purchased 06 Jag XK is intermittently not starting. Had a garage look at it as it was originally regularly having a flat battery and needed a jump start. We replaced the battery with a new one. We also checked the alternator and tests against this were fine.

The garage did say there were some wiring issues and they had fixed those.

Since having car back it has failed to start twice now but intermittently. When attempting to start all electrics and sat nav / media operate but there is no tickover. I had breakdowns guys out yesterday and it fired up first time. Drove it yesterday but again this morning it won't start again.

Anyone with any advice what it might be?

Last edited by GGG; 01-07-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Maybe the brake switch is playing up a bit. Could also be a loose or corroded ground point.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,430 Likes on 3,207 Posts

What sometimes may help is try putting the Smart Key into the Smart Key slot in the center console.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

More possibilities:
CKP or wiring/connectors faulty
ditto ECT
possibly IAT
dribbly injector(s)

The temp sensors are easy to check via OBD. CKP needs a 'scope really. It's probably not the injectors.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Parmjit Chohan
When attempting to start all electrics and sat nav / media operate but there is no tickover. I had breakdowns guys out yesterday and it fired up first time. Drove it yesterday but again this morning it won't start again.

Anyone with any advice what it might be?
In this case it could possibly be that the brake pressure switch isn't engaging, especially if you may have pumped the brakes, in which case you need to really 'stand' on the brake pedal to get it to engage.
'Stuart S' is a proponent of pressing the start button first, and then stepping on the brake to start the car (see post #6 of this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lights-106453/).

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (01-03-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
What sometimes may help is try putting the Smart Key into the Smart Key slot in the center console.
Thanks, I tried this and still didn't work

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Hi all,
Here is a video of what I have experienced:

Note over the last two days the car has started fine.

Since having this issue my cruise control has stopped working, I get the cruise control unavailable error message when first starting up the car.

My flappy gearbox has also stopped working.

Does anyone know if there is a reset button or something where I can reset/reboot to see if this will solve the cruise control and flappy gearbox issues?

Also does anyone know of anyone within the London area where I can take the car who is cheap, reliable, trustworthy who can hook it up to some diagnostics and check the issues I am encountering?

Thanks in advance for all messages to date

Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Again I say check the brake switch and your ground points.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a reset button or something where I can reset/reboot to see if this will solve the cruise control and flappy gearbox issues?
No reset button, but you could disconnect the battery cables, touch them together to discharge any residual charge, and then reconnect them.
All the electronics will then reboot on startup. May be worth a try.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

IN order to use the mechanical key you must remove it from the key fob and insert into the receptacle in the cubby between the seats. To remove the mechanical key push the button on the side of the fob and pull the key out of the fob. Now the key will fit into the slot in the cubby.

You can find specific instructions in your owners manual. If you don't have one you can download a pdf file containing the manual from the forum. In order to find it just type in 06 XK owners manual in the search box and click on the entry where indicated.

Once you get the xk started get your battery checked. These vehicles need a strong healthy battery. Also look into acquiring a Ctek battery tender or something similar. They are available from Amazon for about $60. I keep my 12 plugged in every night except when we are on a road trip.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

...Also does anyone know of anyone within the London area where I can take the car who is cheap, reliable, trustworthy who can hook it up to some diagnostics and check the issues I am encountering?
I use Les Pauls Motors, 020 8551 8537 - they're in Woodford Green, so on the right side of London at least. Good guys, Jag enthusiasts, and they have all the diagnostic kit.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
IN order to use the mechanical key you must remove it from the key fob and insert into the receptacle in the cubby between the seats.
Huh? The mechanical key blade is only used to unlock the door if the battery in the smart key (fob) is flat (or the car battery is flat).

The receptacle between the seats (SCU) is used to 'actively' read the smart key so that you can start the car if the battery in the smart key is flat or if there is excessive RF interference in proximity of the vehicle. You just push the whole smart key in to the slot as Parmjit was doing.

The fact that it won't detect his smart key ('passively' using RF) unless it is in the slot points to an issue with the smart key. That may or may not be related to the non start issue but one of my smart keys started playing up and eventually stopped working passively. I can only start the car with that one by inserting the smart key in to the SCU. I have tried reprogramming it using SDD but it can also only see that smart key when it is in the SCU. My other one works fine.