XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XK vs Aston Martin Vantage Interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Jaguar XK vs Aston Martin Vantage Interior

Last year, when I was on the prowl for a two door coupe, I was considering either an Aston Martin Vantage or a Jaguar XK. I had just sold my BMW Z3 convertible and was eager to get into a coupe for a change. I found a few Aston Martins for sale, and they were going for about 40K more or less . They had high miles [about 90K or so] but who cares if you are in an Aston Martin!

When I went to see them in person, I will admit that I was a bit disappointed with the interior. One of them had a hideous weird orange interior and the other had a pale blue and the last one a washed out beige.[who picks these horrible colors? - Geez] The leather was just 'ok' and there was no polished wood accents. They didn't even have a shifter in the middle, instead it was just a plain empty hole. They also seemed a bit stark and somber inside. It was like meeting a woman who was beautiful on the outside but empty on the inside. Very disappointing indeed. I knew right there that my Aston Martin dream was over. I was not going to be forking over 40K for a car with a really bland interior.

I then went on the search for a Jaguar XK. I knew that I wanted British Racing Green with a Camel colored interior and polished wood trim. For me personally...that is what a Jaguar is all about. I was prepared to spend about 40K. After a lot of searching I found "the one". It did have high miles [98K] but the condition was so good that I overlooked it. I paid 18.5K. Worth every single penny.

Looking back now I know I made the right decision. As much as I have always dreamed of having an Aston Martin Vantage, it just couldn't stand toe to toe with the Jaguar xk of that year. This was my shopping experience. Let's hear yours!

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XK vs Aston Martin Vantage Interior-jagvam.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 04-26-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

IMO and i love my xkr's interior, the Aston's interior is the nicest of the 2 pictures , more sleek, like a well cut savile row suit, the jag a top high line suit, not just quite there yet.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm with you P. I think a better comparison might be a 2010> Jag as it has the different shifter, updated window controls, and usually contrast stitching. Their pop-up nav looks like it was an add-on after interior was designed.

One thing about the AM that is a serious turn-off to me is the tach going backwards and the fact that the tach is on the right and speedo on the left which is backwards from every other car I'm aware of. If they're trying to give it a "racing heritage" look then make the tach large and in the center with the speedo to the side ala Ferrari or McClaren.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I thought the Tach on the Vantage is from a Volvo?

Big leather difference between the two marques, and if you want wood, look at the DB9. The wood is not a veneer; they are sold pieces of wood.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I looked at a few AM's 2 years ago when I searched for the Jag. I happened to be in Palm Beach and looked at 2 used AM Vantage somewhere in the mid 2006-7 MY. They were in my $70K price range and although I liked them both my mind convinced me that I didn't want the risk. One problem is no dealer or indy in 100 miles and then there was the space for 2 sets of golf clubs. So the hunt went on for the XKR. I still like the design but it's not practical for us.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,287 Likes on 1,382 Posts

The AM interiors look as though they were done by a committee of designers, each one with a different idea of how the interior should look. The XK interior is far better executed, more unified in design and more comfortable (all of this IMHO, of course)....and the wood is a veneer just like the Jaguar's and very few people know that Jaguar made the wood for AM while they were both under Ford ownership (I saw this being done) and very possibly, beyond. No one does wood like Jaguar.
While the AM interior is showy, the XK interior is elegant.

Last edited by sov211; 04-27-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The AM interiors look as though they were done by a committee of designers, each one with a different idea of how the interior should look. The XK interior is far better executed, more unified in design and more comfortable (all of this IMHO, of course)....and the wood is a veneer just like the Jaguar's and very few people know that Jaguar made the wood for AM while they were both under Ford ownership (I saw this being done) and very possibly, beyond. No one does wood like Jaguar.
While the AM interior is showy, the XK interior is elegant.
Absolutely agree.
I think the current Jaguars in an desperate attempt to shed its pipe and slippers image, is going against its will to do interiors that are as inferior as the rest.

At the lush and rampant at of mid forties, I am in amazement that the inspiration for refinement is coming from a generation younger than mine rather than the mature who actually posses it. Of course those who have barely escaped adolescence are going to opt for tin foil versus Carpathian Elm burl.

mosesbotbol (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
IMO and i love my xkr's interior, the Aston's interior is the nicest of the 2 pictures , more sleek, like a well cut savile row suit, the jag a top high line suit, not just quite there yet.

I don't see any "well cut savile row suit" . I see a confused interior with an empty hole in the center console. Which is exactly why I didn't buy it.

Cee Jay (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
I see a confused interior with an empty hole in the center console. Which is exactly why I didn't buy it.
The manual interior looks more complete; sans the hole. I'd want a manual if buying a Vantage either way. I would've kept my XK if were a manual...