XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A Jaguar XKR Alternative...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020 | 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said;

"Range Rovers are for suburban housewives who sometimes get leaves on their driveways" or something like that.

I like 'em, just wouldn't 'Four Wheel' it.

Old 03-03-2020 | 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Pricewise the LC 500 is on par with the xk looks very stylish, it's a 2 + 2 , gorgeous interior , a exhaust note to die for, big hind guards and definitely a head turner.

Super car looks with ultra reliability very similar to our brand of vehicle .

Even parked up next to a Aston it's not outdone and holds its own once again very similar to our jag - very understated

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 03-04-2020 at 04:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
mosesbotbol (03-04-2020), peterv8 (03-04-2020), Queen and Country (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by George05
Bought this for the wifey , got to admit i like it , She loves it
What's not to like?

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (03-06-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 07:04 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Funny thing is, I think of the XKR as my everyday summer car. The Land Rover as my schelp it vehicle.
I have been looking for the fun machine for some time now. Still haven’t found it.
But the F-Type is not it. Tried it. Don’t like it. Besides, it’s far to common for the money to me.

A modernized e-type could be.
An Alfa 4c could be.
A Morgan Aero could be.
Or just to change it up
Caterham Lotus 7?
Ariel Atom?

Old 03-04-2020 | 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Funny thing is, I think of the XKR as my everyday summer car. The Land Rover as my schelp it vehicle.
I have been looking for the fun machine for some time now. Still haven’t found it.
But the F-Type is not it. Tried it. Don’t like it. Besides, it’s far to common for the money to me.

A modernized e-type could be.
An Alfa 4c could be.
A Morgan Aero could be.
Or just to change it up
Caterham Lotus 7?
Ariel Atom?
Is the Renault Alpine sold in Canada or can be imported? 4C is a work of art and on my list if I keep my Aston and buy 2nd car. I prefer to have only one car. Funny on Morgan, I was emailing a co-worker this morning and we were talking about the Morgan. There's a Zenos or Rossion that could be cool too

guy (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 09:51 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Is the Renault Alpine sold in Canada or can be imported? 4C is a work of art and on my list if I keep my Aston and buy 2nd car. I prefer to have only one car. Funny on Morgan, I was emailing a co-worker this morning and we were talking about the Morgan. There's a Zenos or Rossion that could be cool too
Thanks for the education @mosesbotbol ! And now just complicating my life further;-). Clearly you and I like the same cars!
Have you done the math of importing a Morgan from the UK? Compared it to the current local market? Interesting, isn’t it.

Old 03-04-2020 | 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Thanks for the education @mosesbotbol ! And now just complicating my life further;-). Clearly you and I like the same cars!
Have you done the math of importing a Morgan from the UK? Compared it to the current local market? Interesting, isn’t it.
https://www.morgancars-usa.com/stock

guy (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:21 AM
guy
Veteran Member

oooh, how about that aero... not sure about the color though.

Old 03-04-2020 | 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Pricewise the LC 500 is on par with the xk looks very stylish, it's a 2 + 2 , gorgeous interior , a exhaust note to die for, big hind guards and definitely a head turner.

Even parked up next to a Aston it's not outdone and holds its own once again very similar to our jag - very understated

Never really considered the Lexus, but must admit the side view is gorgeous. However, I could never get past that hideous grill. Not really interested a Japanese car either. I did have a couple of G37 coupes years ago and enjoyed those.

The following 2 users liked this post by carealtor:
Cee Jay (03-04-2020), pwpacp (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
I understand that preferences are subjective, but "far to common" F-types is a strange thing to say. 911 is too common. Corvette is too common.

How rare do you actually expect out of $100K car?

Cee Jay (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 01:31 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I understand that preferences are subjective, but "far to common" F-types is a strange thing to say. 911 is too common. Corvette is too common.

How rare do you actually expect out of $100K car?
Good point. But I didn’t use the word rare. And in my list, all under $100K... some under 50. Ever drive a Lotus 7? Wow!

Old 03-04-2020 | 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Lotus Evora 400 or GT is great car. Does get a more pure driver's car than a Lotus. Back seat has more room than the XK.

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk

Definitely the car to replace the XK. Similar MSRP.
The problem is the power/weight just is not there to match the 5.0L XKR.
Lexus needs to come out with a supercharged version.

However, it would probably make the BMW "Supra" seem even more pointless than it already is.

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Power to weight it's better then the n/a xk 5.0 worst then the S/C 5.0 and pretty much on par with the 4.2xkr .

I'm guessing Lexus have pretty realised that after over a decade now their naturally aspirated 5.0 is coming to a end.

Being a Grand tourer and requiring absolute pure smoothness I can see them dropping in their twin turbo 4.7L power plants with no less then 520-530hp once this takes place taking in the price ii would hard pressed to fault it

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

I love the way they hid all the various intakes behind one large mask at the front. Gives it a less busy and more purposeful look.
The sound is amazing.
I've only seen two examples so far, but really liked seeing it out on the road.

The Porsche Panamera is also an interesting option, similar hatchback, four seats, V8, etc...
Can spend more in MSRP and get the turbo with similar umph.

What is attractive with Panamera Turbo is that they still offer the warm colors and wood accent that dissapeared from Jaguar's R line up.

Old 03-05-2020 | 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
What is attractive with Panamera Turbo is that they still offer the warm colors and wood accent that dissapeared from Jaguar's R line up.
Used one is on my radar as a potential winter beater replacement. Panameras are actually station wagons, hatch at the back and rear seats fold - so they have tons of interior room for a city dump runs and so on and have an engine powerful enough to tow. Early ones are also very cheap right now.

However, do I want to drive a used Porsche? That what I am not sure about.

Cee Jay (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I love the way they hid all the various intakes behind one large mask at the front. Gives it a less busy and more purposeful look.
The sound is amazing.
I've only seen two examples so far, but really liked seeing it out on the road.
A good friend works as a sales person at a large Lexus dealer; he's never sold one. I think they've only sold a handful of these. I been meaning to test drive one now that they're out there used. Toyota quality for the money is hard to beat.

steve_k_xk (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Used one is on my radar as a potential winter beater replacement. Panameras are actually station wagons, hatch at the back and rear seats fold - so they have tons of interior room for a city dump runs and so on and have an engine powerful enough to tow. Early ones are also very cheap right now.

However, do I want to drive a used Porsche? That what I am not sure about.
I know some one with a 2012 Panamera 4S that bought it new and has been putting about 30,000 miles a year on it.
Has it worked on by Porsche once every 50,000 miles.
Does his own oil changes.
The interior is still in great shape. I was last in the car when it was at 165,000 miles.
This is a car that the owner is shall I say, "not the most gentle" in driving style.
The car seems to have taken it quite well.

The ultimate problem with a used car, is the longer you get from new, the more missed fluid and filter changes may have occured.

mosesbotbol (03-05-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
This DB9 is actually cheaper to won than my XKR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maNB5zk2dCA
I just wish I could own a 2012 DB9 or DBS the same year as my Jag.If they not gone be in a hurry to make them the same price as owning a used XK or F-Type,then i'm not gone be in a hurry to own 1 lol

Old 03-06-2020 | 03:23 AM
Veteran Member

Funny enough I'm not a huge fan of the DB9 would actually prefer a xkr-s over one however the DBS is a entirely different story 😍😍

Quick Reply: A Jaguar XKR Alternative...