XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XKR vs Maserati Granturismo

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Albert,
I would beg to differ about the sound of V-8s. The very loud, throaty roar of my Pantera (as well as that of many other V-8s) is much more fulfilling and intoxicating than the high pitched sewing machine whine of newer Ferrari and Lamborghini V-12s. V-8s have a deeper, richer baritone, more soothing to the psyche.

Guess it is a personal preference. The Pantera had a long stroke American V8 sounds that I also happen to like. I had American muscle cars and liked them. But, I had seen many people's knees nearly buckle when standing near a V12 Lamborghini when the engine was revved. Particularly a mid-engined V12s with short exhaust tracks, minus cat converters.

I was involved with the American Lamborghini Club for over 10 years, actually was on the board of directors. We felt it to be our duty to rev our engines when possible for public consumption. It always drew gasps of joy from people. Yes, the Pantera sounded great but, never had quite the same effect on the average aficionado.

Albert

Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Cool video. Great birthday present. Nice looking Maserati and sound. Although the car looks great it could be tweaked to look even better with the spacers in the rear. I never noticed the rear wheels be so far in until this post. At first sight the rest of the car is so overwhelming.
The wheels on that car don't look bad, but some of the OEM wheels sit very far in.

Originally Posted by axr6
I have to say that it does sound good. But, I had been spoiled by the sounds of my short-stroke Lamborghini V12 engine that was simply intoxicating. No V8 engine can live up to it. Even my V8 Lambo sounded like a tractor when compared to the V12.
Looks like they did put some after market wheels on the car. Looks much better than what we were talking about above.
Albert

Edit: on second viewing, I have to say that the black-out theme kills this particular car. Just look at the initial footage where you can clearly see the design details, intakes, lights, wheels, creases and folds in the body metal etc. for both cars next to it but, the Maserati comes across as a black blob, reminding me to a Black Hole that basically gravitationally pulls in all light and no light reflects off of it. The only thing worse that I had seen in real life was a flat-black Aston Martin during my last trip to Europe. There the flat black paints are in high fashion. It looked like a cheap, lowered Civic that its pimple-faced teen-aged owner had painted using a few cans of 99-cent flat black Walmart paint. I just don't get it...
Albert
Exhaust systems have become very refined and i personally love the sound of a V8.

I would have to agree with tberg, the V8 in a Maserati would be suffice for me, over the V12 in a Lamborghini.

On another note; just today, saw a completely blacked out C class. If there was a 25 year old Toyota next to it, i wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Never understood why people like degrading their vehicles to that point. No class.
They will eventually phase out of it, as it's part of growing up.