XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jaguar XKR Vs Vantage & DB9 Whats Your Thoughts ? Debates On This Subject Heating Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZillA
I am also surprised that people prefered the visuals of your jag over the aston.
I think from the outside looks AM > XKR Hard for me to imagine someone thinks differently. But then again, people have the strangest taste.
lol that picture to me looks like body guards guarding a princess.. with the color and all.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by ZillA
I am also surprised that people prefered the visuals of your jag over the aston.
I think from the outside looks AM > XKR Hard for me to imagine someone thinks differently. But then again, people have the strangest taste.
Maybe if it were an XKR (mesh grille) and also in a different color, I'd probably see it as being better looking.

I think the XK looks a little bit more interesting. The Aston Martin look has been so similar over the last decade.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

XKR is better than the AM

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My two cents

One of my collectible cars is a 2006 AM DB9 Coupe, and my daily driver is a 2008 XKR convertible. There is no way to make a direct comparison of the cars. The fit, finish, and craftsmanship of the AM is far superior to the Jag. Leather every where (even the inside door sills), real wood, and more over the beautiful sound of the V-12 (not to mention the underhood appearance). While a few off the shelf parts are used (crap Volvo Nav) the two are just not in the same league. Also the 9 is faster, despite what was said earlier. Plus it is the most beautiful car in the world. No one has ever stopped in me in traffic to take a cellphone pick of the Jag!

That being said, the Aston is a more difficult drive on secondary streets (great on the highway). It takes a lot of attention because stiffer suspension and power. The Jag is a great every day driver. It is easy just to jump in and head to the corner store. DB9 not so much.

Just my thoughts

Tim Madden

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnnnnnny's take is spot on. I too owned them both. I traded my 08 xkr coupe for an 08 AMV8V conv sportshift.......for two weeks. I took the Aston back to Dallas and got my Jag back.The aston is a hand-built exotic and the Jag is built by robots. I'll take the robot-built Jag.

The Aston felt heavy, slow, and clunky. The Jag moves very quickly when you put your foot down. The build quality of the Aston is not quite there, IMO. The build quality of the Jag is unbeatable, with the monocoque aluminum chassis/body....never an untoward sound or flexing.

I never got used to the SportShift in the Aston. It's clunky in auto mode, clunky in manual mode. The ZF tranny in the Jag is beyond reproach in either auto mode or manual.

The Aston is literally a rolling work of art, inside and outside the car. Absolutely gorgeous.....again IMO. The Jag's not far behind on the outside, but the Aston has a much more beautiful interior.

Daily driver? Jag over the Aston hands down. With the Aston, I'd think "Ok, those dark clouds moving in from the west look pretty menacing...could contain hail....maybe I'll call my girlfriend to come pick me up in her Lexus...."
I've never had that feeling with vettes, Porsches, or my Jag.

In the Jag, you get in, press the start button and go. In the Aston, you have to get your keys out, put them in the ignition, turn, press the start button, press the R button, wait for it to actually shift into R, use the crawl feature to jerkily back out of the garage....etc.....so 20th Century.

Yes, the AM sound is orgasmic, but you can come close with the Jag.....just take out fuse....#19? Oh, and how 'bout Mr. Rootes Supercharger?

I remember the guys on Top Gear mentioning that every time AM comes out with a new model, Jag comes out with a better one, all the way back to the 1960's.

The AMV8V is a great car, but for me, the XKR rings my bell.

Hey, Johnnnnnny, I love Brighton....lived in Hove a few years.

Last edited by ronev; 09-06-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ronev
Johnnnnnny's take is spot on. I too owned them both. I traded my 08 xkr coupe for an 08 AMV8V conv sportshift.......for two weeks. I took the Aston back to Dallas and got my Jag back.The aston is a hand-built exotic and the Jag is built by robots. I'll take the robot-built Jag.

The Aston felt heavy, slow, and clunky. The Jag moves very quickly when you put your foot down. The build quality of the Aston is not quite there, IMO. The build quality of the Jag is unbeatable, with the monocoque aluminum chassis/body....never an untoward sound or flexing.

I never got used to the SportShift in the Aston. It's clunky in auto mode, clunky in manual mode. The ZF tranny in the Jag is beyond reproach in either auto mode or manual.

The Aston is literally a rolling work of art, inside and outside the car. Absolutely gorgeous.....again IMO. The Jag's not far behind on the outside, but the Aston has a much more beautiful interior.

Daily driver? Jag over the Aston hands down. With the Aston, I'd think "Ok, those dark clouds moving in from the west look pretty menacing...could contain hail....maybe I'll call my girlfriend to come pick me up in her Lexus...."
I've never had that feeling with vettes, Porsches, or my Jag.

In the Jag, you get in, press the start button and go. In the Aston, you have to get your keys out, put them in the ignition, turn, press the start button, press the R button, wait for it to actually shift into R, use the crawl feature to jerkily back out of the garage....etc.....so 20th Century.

Yes, the AM sound is orgasmic, but you can come close with the Jag.....just take out fuse....#19? Oh, and how 'bout Mr. Rootes Supercharger?

I remember the guys on Top Gear mentioning that every time AM comes out with a new model, Jag comes out with a better one, all the way back to the 1960's.

The AMV8V is a great car, but for me, the XKR rings my bell.

Hey, Johnnnnnny, I love Brighton....lived in Hove a few years.
Nice to meet you here
Brighton's a fantastic place, especially taking the Jag for a run in the Sussex country side.

Same feelings on the Aston too.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnnnnnyy
Nice to meet you here
Brighton's a fantastic place, especially taking the Jag for a run in the Sussex country side.

Same feelings on the Aston too.
Yep, I loved driving over to Beachy Head in Eastbourne, getting a Mr. Whippy ice cream, and enjoying the view!