XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Are JLR Dealers Going Away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
There are several new Jaguar/Land Rover dealerships in Southern California that have built brand new dealership buildings in the new charcoal and chrome motif on all of the new dealerships out here. I was pretty surprised when Galpin closed their international building which housed Aston Martin, Lotus, a few Jaguars, Lincoln, and some stragler supercars, rebuilt the building as a Jaguar/Land Rover building. The same thing happened in Thousand Oaks with a similar dealership. I'm cautiously optimistic although I don't believe Jaguar will survive as an independent brand if it survives at all. All of us on this forum understand the lure of the Jaguar brand or we wouldn't be here, but most of the rest of the automotive world doesn't.and doesn't care. And I don't believe the electric transition will be a good one for Jaguar unless they produce the best in class (by a long shot) of each vehicle they bring to market. I also am skeptical. We are nearly 4 months into 2023. By 2025 model year when all Jaguars will be electric, that's less than a year and a half from now when 2025 model cars should supposedly be in showrooms in the fall of 2024. There have to already be test mules out on roads being driven in preparation. Camouflaged or not, has anyone seen even one suspected sighting of a new electric Jaguar in any automotive journal, website, blog, etc.. Utter silence unless these cars don't really exist and aren't going to exist. But then why new Jaguar/Land Rover dealerships with expensive brand new buildings, It is a puzzle to me that I guess we're just going to have to wait to see. I also don't quite understand the hesitation to build a car based on the Jaguar heritage of superior GT/Sports cars or even stunning 4 door XJ style sedans. An all SUV based lineup doesn't seem like a recipe for success for Jaguar branding, and would seem to cannibalize the Land Rover marque. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect the end is near. And by the way, I don't believe Aston Martin is far behind in its struggle to survive although I believe they have a better chance of being acquired bu another auto maker that wants to add a bit of panache to their lineup.

Stay tuned...
I share the pessimism about Jaguar's future, given the revolving doors in the company leadership and apparent lack of development on any new vehicles.. I can't see them having the resources to compete with their german competitors in the EV space, all of which are already much further down the development path. It's odd that Jaguar made the i-Pace and then just...didn't seem to know what to do with it and just....gave up.

There's some talk (in the UK) about Jaguar being too iconic a brand in the British auto industry to be 'allowed' to fail, but I think that's mainly a talking point thrown out there for leverage by Tata as they're currently in negotiations with the UK government over getting 500 million pounds of state subsidies to build EV infrastructure...

Back on topic - JLR dealer in Nashville is still there and servicing XKs - although only model years 2011 and later. Most of their business is Land Rover, which is no surprise.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by rowlands
Back on topic - JLR dealer in Nashville is still there and servicing XKs - although only model years 2011 and later. Most of their business is Land Rover, which is no surprise.
What do they say to customer with older than 2011 XK's? What if they bought it there?

Old 03-23-2023, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What do they say to customer with older than 2011 XK's? What if they bought it there?
"Sorry"?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
jahummer (04-01-2023), McJag222 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:24 PM
Received 55 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
"Sorry"?
Followed by "Would you like to buy a Land Rover?"

The following 5 users liked this post by rowlands:
BlkC4t_XK14 (04-09-2023), Cee Jay (03-23-2023), jahummer (04-01-2023), Tracee (03-24-2023), Wm. Lyon (03-27-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 10:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Here's the whole story....

JLR Future

Old 03-24-2023, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rowlands
Followed by "Would you like to buy a Land Rover?"
Can a franchise really refuse to fix a product they are an agent of and sold the car too? Sounds like it could be illegal or at least unbecoming of marque. Highly embarrasing if widely known or promoted.

Local AM dealer is fixing DB5's all the time.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pvxkowner
I just called the JLR Albuquerque dealer to find out the hourly rate ($190) to reply to a separate post.

However, the service department representative I just spoke to told me that as of February 15, 2023, they are no longer a Jaguar dealer and will strictly be a Land Rover dealer. He said this is because Jaguar lost over $500M recently and has decided to focus on the two coasts, Dallas, and Scottsdale. He told me the Scottsdale dealer is the closet to Albuquerque, which it is at 6.5 hours away. Their target market is now $150k minimum per new car and will be really focusing on the Aston Martin & Bentley customer-base. He said Jaguar dropped 75% of their dealers nation-wide. LR Albuquerque will only be able to provide Jaguar repairs for as long as they can still get parts and to the extent Jaguar will support them. He said the Jaguar-certified mechanics will strictly be Land Rover mechanics for the foreseeable future.

Has anyone else heard this?
The Jaguar brand not going nowhere when they 1 of the main brands that's talking about making all their cars electric by 2025.It's also 1 of the longest reigning car brands to ever exist that's a trademark for British more than any other car brand is.The world would not let that happen with all the accolades Jaguar have where they even have a Guinness world record of having the fastest car in the world twice with the XK model from 1 of the previous generations winning the record.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Liony Leftwich;2626486]The Jaguar brand not going nowhere when they 1 of the main brands that's talking about making all their cars electric by 2025.It's also 1 of the longest reigning car brands to ever exist that's a trademark for British more than any other car brand is.The world would not let that happen with all the accolades Jaguar have where they even have a Guinness world record of having the fastest car in the world twice with the XK model from 1 of the previous generations winning the record.Not too many brands are able to win the fastest car record and last i checked,i don't remember Ford, Chevrolet,or Dodge ever winning a fastest car record

Old 03-24-2023, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

My money is on TATA selling Jaguar to the Chinese within 5 years, 10 years tops.
A bit like MG.

The following users liked this post:
rickr (12-13-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

I went in to order parts last week and my local Jaguar dealer just informed me that they are closing as of April 1st. And they said that the next closest dealer 30 miles away will be closing as well. They didn't know about the dealers in Dallas. I knew they hadn't had hardly any inventory since the pandemic began and I kept expecting them to shut down just because of that. However, they explained that besides not being able to get enough cars to sell currently, they had no intention of trying to hold on until Jaguar came back with all-electric cars in the Bentley price range because that's not the price level of customers that their other brands target. Yeah they may sell one top spec'd edition of the most expensive Range Rover, BMW or Volvo every other month or so, but they couldn't make a whole brand work around that. The Range Rover dealer across the street would still service existing Jaguar customers with warranty work but I'd have to go to an indy to repair my older models because the Range Rover facility really didn't have the capacity over there to do any more than that. (And my local indy is scheduling two months out since the pandemic, but that's a separate issue).

I don't know what to make of it. Already, everybody I encounter, literally everybody, has to ask me questions about how reliable my Jaguars have been or make jokes about it. Seems like everybody has an uncle or a boss who had a Jaguar back in the 80s that was always in the shop or at least everybody has heard those stories. I'm quite sure that reputation has kept Jaguar from ever growing to rival the sales volume of its competitors. Now all the younger generations are going to remember those stories PLUS they'll remember that their local Jaguar dealer signs all came down sometime in the early 2020s (but they won't know why or bother to research it).

Maybe Jaguar has decided to "double down" on that reputation of being a car that is so exotic and so fragile that only the wealthiest top 1/2 of 1 percent can afford one. Rolls Royce is still in business, but I haven't spotted one of those grills on the road in a couple of years and I couldn't tell you where the nearest dealer is. But apparently rich people still buy enough of them to keep them going. Maybe that's my ticket. I could retire and get somebody with "old money" to take me in as their live-in chauffeur/mechanic to take care of their electric Jaguars and Bentleys.

The only good I can see coming of it for us DIY'ers is that Rolls Royce and Bentley used values fall faster than an meteorite. If Jaguar sells a $250K electric SUV in 2025, by 2045 we'll be able to buy one with low mileage that still looks like brand new for about $10K (and maybe even make a little side money in the classic wedding car business.)

The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
bigoshin (04-11-2023), BlkC4t_XK14 (04-09-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It's more than that, the AJ133SC in the F-Type is almost identical to that in a 2010 XKR with only a few minor changes over the years.
The few I can think of (other than PCM tune/power output) off the top of my head are:
- revised timing chains, guides and tensioners
- plastic cross-over coolant upper pipe rather than metal (a backwards step)
- electric rather than vacuum controlled SC bypass valve.
Only thing identical to the XK is what's under the hood.F-Type lacks in everything else except it's cooler looking rear view of the car and updated infotainment screen.You can't give me a downgrade shift stick no more if it don't serve any real purpose but to put the car in gear and gives you that pretending feel that you driving a stick shift if you have to push it left or right to change gears LoL

Hans Amstein (03-29-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Funny with older Jags in for service at the dealer. My friend's Jag indy shop is constantly being called by local JLR dealers on "how to" questions on older cars that come in for service.

I live in Boston area and Herb Chambers opened the largest and perhaps most expensive real estate wise JLR dealer in the country. If it were just down to LR, he'd still have a business. Jaguar will be back with a vengence when the portfolio totallly flips to a new generation. All Sky TV ads look quite promising for what's ahead.
Herb Chambers Boston on Comm Ave in Allston? I've taken my Sportbrake there twice. The work seems fine (all warranty work), and they really work hard to please. Very friendly and responsive.

CA Jag (04-07-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
The dealer I have been using was recently sold and the new owner dropped Jaguar. They are now a Land Rover dealer. My service writer told me they will still service my two Jaguars; but I think not. I will either go to a good Indie on the west side of LA or the Santa Monica dealer in the future. So,If anybody can recommend a good Indie on LA's westside I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but really consider Rusnak Jaguar Pasadena. They did ALL the work on my XKR and it was top-notch. Ask for Eden Esparza. She was my service advisor and she really knows Jags.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Really interesting thoughts here. Funny thing is, the guy I know who owns an indy luxury car dealership in Burbank (where I ended up buying an SL550) now has a 2015 XKR 'vert on his lot and I am SO tempted... except for what I'm reading here. Here's how I see the current Jag lineup:

The F-type, sure. I think it's still a "cool" car to own, and it looks and sounds sexy (Just too small for me).
I've driven all the "pace" SUV's: the F-pace with the large engine is great, just too big a car for me. The E-pace I drove had, I think, I turbo 4 cylinder. Really underpowered, tons of turbo lag, and just didn't feel like a Jag. Not a fan. The I-Pace was interesting but I only had it as a loaner and I think it's a car you'd really need to get to know. But I'm sure they sell well.
I think the XJ dies with its current ownership base. And that's soon.
And does anyone --anyone at all-- even think about buying an XF? Why?
(Yes I have a Sportbrake but it's a station wagon and I love it and I'll bet if they kept it on the showroom floors they'd outsell both the XF and the XJ.)
So anyway.... the F-type and the I-Pace. I don't know that there's a car brand there.

Last edited by pk4144; 03-25-2023 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:02 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

So, we think that the JLR folks don't get it, orienting the Jaguar brand toward the 1/2 of 1%, especially in the US market.
But maybe they DO KNOW better. The US national debt is now a vertical asymptote.
If the upper-middle class and middle class markets disappear as a result, there will be no reason for Jaguar to target that market.

rickr (12-13-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
Herb Chambers Boston on Comm Ave in Allston? I've taken my Sportbrake there twice. The work seems fine (all warranty work), and they really work hard to please. Very friendly and responsive.
Yes. Herb is all in with the JLR brands in more than one location. My friend's F Type manual is in for service there and he said the service manager was good. I thought JLR was pushing put stand alone Jaguar dealers out of the franchise for over a decade. They want everything split with Land Rover and Jaguar. That is what Herb is doing.

It's interesting to see many Rolls-Bently co-franchise dealerships along with Lotus-Aston Martin. Lotus-AM are not cooperating so much each other as the the former two. Both have a unique brand identity and want distrinct showrooms and sinage.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
And does anyone --anyone at all-- even think about buying an XF? Why?
From what I've watched and heard at my local dealer over the last few years, it doesn't appear that they could get you one anyway. You certainly couldn't test-drive one to even see if you liked it.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:14 PM
Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

For me, the politically enforced transition to BEVs seems like the kiss of death to many traditional manufacturers. Even the Germans struggle and we will ned to see how they keep up with their new competitors from East Asia.

Jaguar … why the hell would you buy a Jag that’s electrified? What’s the USP?

I recall I moved from BMW to Jaguar when they launched the XK8 in the mid-1990s. Because I fell in love with the car the very moment I first saw it. And Ford’s injection of quality made it a good choice. So I stayed with Jag until the second lst XJ disappeared and the XKR was replaced by the (in my view) ridiculously loud and prepotent F-Type. Why have a sports car that xannot compete with its Porsche rivals? So I left Jag and drove a 991 Turbo cab. But for all its performance, I could never forget the style and gran turismo qualities of the XKRs. So I returned, buying an “old” car for the first time in my life.

And yes, I am just n=1, which cannot replace market research … yet, I’d rather look for another “old” petrol-fired car than buying something as immature as a BEV. And of note, I am (well, feel?) still not old. I bought my first Jag in my mid-30s, when everyone was talking about Jaguar declining with its customer base growing old.

But maybe I have grown old, indeed. Let’s observe the results of the transition to BEVs. While they may have their place in cities and short distance driving - has that ever been the best use of a Jag?

Just wondering. And please forgive me that these thoughts may appear (and in fact are) somewhat random, deserving a bit more structure. Then, again, hasn’t it always been an emotional affair to own and drive a Jag?

The following 6 users liked this post by Hans Amstein:
bigoshin (04-11-2023), CA Jag (04-17-2023), McJag222 (03-29-2023), neilr (03-30-2023), Purdy Jag (04-04-2023), ralphwg (04-10-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2023, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but Florida's got a very saturated group of JLR main dealers, nearly 20 I think? The nearest ones to me have barely any Jag inventory and little Land Rover, other than a handful of Defenders. The service facilities are backed up with broken down vehicles and they really don't service anything older than 5-7 years. Parts availability's another issue for cooling system components, with some on global back order and no ETA.

Just a few years ago when JLR was shifting to the Arch branding, leadership at that time had stated they were moving out of the middle market as there was too much competition from Audi, BMW and Mercedes and the plan was to compete with Bentley and Rolls Royce with a new XJ in the $200K range and higher end SUVs. What ever happened to that?

As for reputation and reliability, based on my experience they were truly exceptional under Ford and once sold to Tata, quality and reliability became their downfall.

And I don't believe there's a long term future in EV, for many reasons nor do I believe there's one for the combustion engine, at least in mass produced transportation.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

wallet rover took off and left behind this old crusty brand..they have the cuvs and suvs people want to drive

Last edited by xalty; 04-01-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Are JLR Dealers Going Away?