XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Are JLR Dealers Going Away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

I can only state that I moved away from Jaguar in 2014 (to Porsche) when it was clear there wouldn’t be a new XKR.
By no means the F Type was an appropriate successor…
And similarly,there was no new XJ around the corner. The other line-up was, in my view, simply boring, nothing special.
of course, n=1.

Old 04-30-2023, 02:09 PM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts

Jaguar has been a fascination for many including William Ford, Sr. and Ratan Tata.
But she is a fickle mistress.

Forbes Jan 2023 conventional thinking suggests that low production numbers are a chronic cause of losses for JLR:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin...h=722778c91f70

However, with no logical buyer, Tata has partnered with China's Chevy, I mean Chery, to build Jaguars there (Per the Chery/JLR website):
Chery Jaguar Land Rover Changshu Plant was officially opened and put into on October 21, 2014 with an annual production volume of 200,000 vehicles (grossly overestimated). Changshu Plant is the first full-scale automobile manufacturing facility of Jaguar Land Rover outside the UK, and it is also the global flagship plant:
https://www.cheryjaguarlandrover.com/en/enterprise/

It appears that Tata has decided that JLR isn’t going to make a profit selling more vehicles.
The volume concept didn’t work for Ford and it’s not working for Tata.
So, maybe relying on the cache’ of the marque and scarcity: reduced volume, increased prices per unit …
If the British government provides the same subsidy, that’s a higher subsidy per unit.

Like the little girl with the lemonade stand @$100 per glass... When told she isn’t likely to sell many, she responded: “I only have to sell one glass!”.

The China connection may provide parts support for our “modern classics” but the reduced dealer presence will likely help thin the ranks of all but die-hard Jag fans.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
McJag222 (04-30-2023), mosesbotbol (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 574 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
The China connection may provide parts support for our “modern classics” but the reduced dealer presence will likely help thin the ranks of all but die-hard Jag fans.
Sad state of affairs Bill - providing parts would be a good move. My Jag dealer said Jag are unwilling to let other parts manufacturers in the market. They aren't happy either.

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (04-30-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 02:03 PM
Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
So, we all move into cities and use public transportation?
That's been the desire of many in the U.S. Government since the 1970's.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:19 PM
Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Here in St. Louis the local JLR dealer will also not work on vehicles over 12 years old for reasons mentioned above. There is only three good independent shops that will work on an XJS - especially if it's a V-12. Fortunately one of those shops is near me.
As of this month there seems to be a cooling off of interest in all EV's in the market. Dealers are stuck with 100+days of inventory. Jaguar has to notice this and thinking Uh-Oh.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:26 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rickr
Here in St. Louis the local JLR dealer will also not work on vehicles over 12 years old for reasons mentioned above. There is only three good independent shops that will work on an XJS - especially if it's a V-12. Fortunately one of those shops is near me.
As of this month there seems to be a cooling off of interest in all EV's in the market. Dealers are stuck with 100+days of inventory. Jaguar has to notice this and thinking Uh-Oh.
You keep banging on and on and on about sales right now, but what you don't realise is no company executive cares about EV sales today... that's what they have sales departments for. A company executive can't do anything to change where things are at right now, but they can plan and create strategies for three/five/ten years into the future. Jaguar's executives are looking at where the company can be in the future, while you're busy ranting about what's selling at the moment.

My companies all have a ten year plan - that's how far we think, and that's a good projection for most small businesses. Larger businesses think further ahead - Nissan has a TWO HUNDRED YEAR plan... their executives are planning 200 years into the future, and the current market has no bearing on these plans other than simply being the starting point. I have no idea what Jag's corporate planning is like, but I guarantee they're not thinking month-to-month.

Last edited by dangoesfast; 12-13-2023 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (12-13-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 02:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm considering an F-Type P450 RWD coupe (fully loaded), but my local Jag dealer folded in July '23. They also say service and warranty work will continue to be carried by them, for at least 5 years. Anyway, folks over the F-Type forum reported getting deals $12K+ under MSRP, but that probably was with '23s. The only 2 cars I found in the entire country are '24s, and both are at the same FL dealer, and they don't want to budge more than $2K under for now. These cars also depreciate like a rock, so logic says to pass on them. But what about at the right price? And that's my question for the folks here, which will be less biased than the F-Type forum. Those 2 cars are $88K and $90K. I don't have to have one by any means, but this would be the only chance, since I don't buy used cars, and they're getting discontinued. I think anything less than 10 grand would be foolish, financially speaking, but curious about what you guys think. Thank you.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-14-2023 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:38 AM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
You keep banging on and on and on about sales right now, but what you don't realise is no company executive cares about EV sales today... that's what they have sales departments for. A company executive can't do anything to change where things are at right now, but they can plan and create strategies for three/five/ten years into the future. Jaguar's executives are looking at where the company can be in the future, while you're busy ranting about what's selling at the moment.

My companies all have a ten year plan - that's how far we think, and that's a good projection for most small businesses. Larger businesses think further ahead - Nissan has a TWO HUNDRED YEAR plan... their executives are planning 200 years into the future, and the current market has no bearing on these plans other than simply being the starting point. I have no idea what Jag's corporate planning is like, but I guarantee they're not thinking month-to-month.

So, that is what Tata has been doing since JLR was acquired from Ford? Planning for the future? Newsflash: 2023 is fifteen years of future beyond the 2008 JLR purchase.

Reimagine that!

It appears that Tata management agrees with the concept of not being concerned with sales. Nor are they concerned with brand names, discarding "Land Rover" as a brand.

However, the "Iconic Brand", is being used successfully to bilk the British government (and taxpayers) of millions of Pounds of subsidies,
Jaguar Land Rover owner seeks £0.5bn subsidy for UK battery plant - report | Financial News (lse.co.uk)

that are then syphoned off to Tata subsidiaries,
For example: "Tata Consultancy Services announced that it won a deal with the Digital unit of JLR valued at £800 million over the next five years to support JLR’s Reimagine strategy".
FASTER, MORE FLEXIBLE, BETTER QUALITY: JLR TO DIGITALLY TRANSFORM ORGANISATION THROUGH PARTNERSHIP WITH TATA COMMUNICATIONS (prnewswire.com)
and
https://telecom.economictimes.indiat...deal/105931810

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
McJag222 (12-14-2023), Sean W (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 05:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are JLR Dealers Going Away

An interesting discussion and I suppose the only solace is that there are marques more obscure than "ours" and cars older that still manage to keep on the road.
What is apparent is the value that a forum such as this offers to current owners and future enthusiast and indies dealing with some of the idiosyncrasies of the brand. The accumulated knowledge and experience is invaluable, and becomes more so as the dealer support diminishes.
This raises a question in my mind as to what steps are taken to ensure this information is archived and remains accessible as the years go by. I ask this out of ignorance because I have taken for granted the hard work put into the infrastructure and maintenance of the forum and until this discussion have not thought about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by bablake:
Hans Amstein (12-17-2023), panthera999 (12-14-2023)