XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

JLR SDD V160 and MongoosePro Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question JLR SDD V160 and MongoosePro Issues

Hi, recently after many hours of reading and re-installed JLR SDD s/w (V160) + windows 10 + MongoosePro drivers (note: not sure it is an original although it does have the correct chip as shown on the DrewTech website) I finally managed to connect to my 2008 XKR and automatically read the vin number. Given the many issues already published by others and the time taken to get to this point, I took stock and had a beer before continuing!

I than ran an SDD session and was given the message - SDD reconfiguring for legacy car and then was delighted to see the standard SDD menu. I then ran the service option and awaited the report on the various CAN buses. At this point the screen returned the correct vin number and ticks in most of the CAN_HS row but alas crosses and a few <?> in the CAN_MS row, I did a few cycles of the ignition and click on specific modules - then hit refresh, but all in vain as nothing seems to bring them to communicate and return a green tick. I then ran the recommendation - "network integrity check', this returned information and ticks for the CAN_HS but nothing for the CAN_MS other than crosses and/or exclamation marks. This is a real problem because I was hoping to run a driver seat calibration, due to the fact that I seem to force to lie down when driving the jag at the moment (common fault I believe) but of course this is not possible because the DSM is I think present but not responding. This is quite frustrating because I am clearly reading some of the modules but not a complete set.
Does anyone know why this might be or has anyone seen similar issues? Is this a problem with the pass through device - possibly because it is a copy? Is this because these modules are listen only? Or is there a set-up issue somewhere in the SDD s/w. I have read hundreds of forum and pieced together more information that I was bargaining for, any yet I still sit here having failed! Help please! if you can shed some light on this situation. Many thanks in anticipation!
Dave

Old 11-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 3,229 Posts

Duplicate Post!
Stick with only one post, numerous won't help a bit.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...issues-239694/

The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

DUPLICATE THREAD NOW REMOVED

Graham

Old 11-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

If you post some pictures to better show what's going on, it may be helpful.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Did you run a diagnosis check on it first? Throwing any codes?

Old 11-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 452 Posts

Welcome to the forum CD!

It may help if you included the Year of your car in your signature, also how long you've had the seat issue?

In my case it was my passenger seat that was like it when I bought the car, my Indy simply did a hard reset (easy as had a new battery fitted at the same time) then they just held their finger on the seat back tilt until it started moving again.

They advised it was because an FB (NOT facebook) had reclined the seat too far, put strain on the mechanism which had then shut down to prevent further abuse

Cee Jay (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 04:30 AM
Post Pictures from SDD

Attached is a snap shot of:
1. Opening screen.
2. Initial screen post reading VIN.
3. Technical service report on module communication
4. DTC on failure to communicate with CAN-MS
5. Extract from report confirming this.
I have tried to recycle the ignition and pass through device several times and get the same network report. I did on one occasion get green ticks on the CAM-MS and SUB_MOST once, but this was short lived.

I know these picture show low battery - I have done the same cycles with a 13.6V 100A stabilised supply and have exactly the same results.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag SDD V1_1.pdf (523.6 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by CozyDave; 11-12-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:37 AM

Hi thanks, the problem has been with the car for about 8 months - slowing getting worst if the seat is moved for any reason. I have tried the battery disconnect to wipe the memory of the module and I have held various buttons for many seconds as suggested on other threads, but nothing seems to work. Hence I think the seat needs to be recalibrated. Hence the reason for trying to connect to the DSM and run the SDD calibrate seat routine.

PS - how do I add Vehicle year and type to my signature? I have it in my profile under vehicle - but how do you get it to be attached to your signature when posting?

Old 11-12-2020, 05:04 AM

Hi, no not run diagnostics, but I expect that it would suggest that the CAN_MS is not responding. However, there are no faults reported by the car and all systems appear to working without any issues other than the seat position. Would running a diagnostic help at this stage?

Old 11-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

No, looking at what you shared, a DTC scan was done and you're correct that SDD isn't seeing the M Can bus. Are you starting new sessions each time? As long as you're reading only and haven't tried making any modifications, there's no benefit of opening a previous session as to date everything appears read only. Also you don't say if you have a Topix subscription.
If it's me, I would ensure the Internet is off and start a new session, manually entering the VIN. Please give that a shot. Instead of going to the service screen, use SDD as it was intended, run the Diagnostic. Perhaps manually entering the VIN might help, I dunno.

The rest is me rambling - consider stepping into an older version of the software. You don't need a version this high as it's very unlikely there were updates made to your model in the last 6 years or so. These version updates reflect newer makes and models and some updates based TSB's. Unless you have a new Land Rover (prior to 2018), you can get what you need from version 123 certainly version 131 will give you all you need. Jackra has several versions and I think Aarcuda has a good version too so hopefully they will chime in or others who use SDD more frequently.

My software was purchased "modified" and part of the agreement was that I don't share or I'd send you mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Aarcuda (11-12-2020), Cee Jay (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:08 AM
Smile

Hi, thanks I will give it a go as you recommend and see what happens.

No I am running to s/w off-line with no internet connection so no Topix. I did start trying to install an earlier version on an old XP Pro desktop, but the discs I purchased with the MongoosePro had a s/w virus, informed the seller and they pointed me to this version which they claimed would work with the MongoosePro. Went for it given I can run it on my Windows 10 Laptop as you can see I did eventually get it running, but the disadvantage is the interface issue. I have an old Sony Laptop in the garage with Windows 7 I think - may be this would be a better option, at least now I have some clues on how to get SDD installed and working - so open to offers on finding the appropriate s/w and drivers.

Also since this morning, I have inspected the MongoosePro driver and although it reports it is working fine and is identified as MongoosePro JLR J2534 Interface, there is an event in the events register that reads "Driver Management concluded the process to install driver monpjaguar.inf_amd64_74d45f331e8d1526 for Device Instance ID USB\VID_18E1&PID_0104\AOLHE0000002868A with the following status: 0x0." Not sure if this is an issue or not in terms of compatibility with Windows 10.

I am starting to think the issue is a down to the pass through device, this morning I started SDD with the pass through device plugged into the car and computer, then pushed the start button to turn on the car electrics, not sure what happened, but the dash reported a cruise control amber message and SDD reported back pretty much green ticks across all CAN buses. However, as soon as I clicked the DSM to make sure it was on-line it turned to a red cross and when I refreshed the ignition the cruise control fault was gone. The wonders of owning such an amazing car, every day a pleased to see you surprise!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Hi, thanks for the help and support - much appreciated.

OK - did the manual VIN entry - which gave me the same screen as per pdf file for vehicle type etc. Ran Diagnostic and got a new screen display - see attached, it basically threw up a lot of 'i"'s in the CAN_HS bus but still showed 'x' in the CAN-MS bus. Didn't have time to go through each to understand what they mean - will have to do this when I have some more time.

Also, at the moment I am starting a new session each time I run a session and I have not attempted to re-programme anything, I wanted to ensure I had a stable comms link position first - particularly after reading all the horror stories other have had.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag SDD V1_2.pdf (683.8 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by CozyDave; 11-12-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Can't speak to your version as I suspect the newer versions are adopted to play in Windows 10 but that's a guess as other guys run say v149 on Windows 10 32 bit and are ok. I don't know if the pass through devices are modified over time either. Sorry not much help.

I have V125.3 and it works with Windows 7 32 bit with laptop date date set @ 4/1/2011. It's a clean copy and dedicated laptop with nothing else loaded on it and certainly no other versions of the software.
Disable SoftwareManager to prevent updating:

C:/Program Files/JLR/IDS/Runtime the file is SoftwareManager

End the SoftwareManager process with Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Del)
And then rename the SoftwareManager to something else (put a 2 on the end)
This will prevent the SoftwareManager from starting in future

Old 11-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I have the same setup as Sean, a dedicated older laptop with Windows 7 and an older version of SDD. Mine works fine and I have programmed many things and used it with only a minor hiccup every once in awhile. A restart of the Laptop usually straightens things out.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:41 PM

Thanks, may be this is the best way forward - go retro! Cheers

Old 11-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I would say it is most likely to be the pass through device. I have a few versions of SDD in separate partitions on my laptop the latest of which is 159 and it works with my clone OK.

It be worth starting a thread on https://www.jaguarforum.com as there are a lot more people from the UK on there so you might find someone locally who can lend you their Mongoose to see if it is your laptop, version of SDD or Mongoose that is the issue.

Sean W (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

OR, try a different type device. I use a DA Dongle which is certified by JLR for use.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Im running version 131.03 on windows XP for my ‘06 STR with a clone mongoose and it works ok although many of the self tests listed for various modules dont seem to work and fail a lot. But everything else seems to run fine.

make sure you have a stable clean power supply connected to the battery. If the voltage is much higher or lower than 13,4v module programming is extremely risky and all sorts of bad things happen. Really bad.

also sometimes if I use it for an extended period it sometimes crashes but that may have been before I got my stable power supply.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Received 342 Likes on 209 Posts

Here is a link on Jaguar Forum that has a lot of info on SDD versions and setup
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=108460

Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 AM

OK thanks, I will look into https://www.jaguarforum.com for some more local help. Will also take a look at alternative devices thanks for the help and sharing your experiences, it has been very helpful and very useful, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: JLR SDD V160 and MongoosePro Issues