XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jumping in with everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jumping in with everyone!

Greeting everyone... new and my first post here. I just bought my first Jaguar! It's just a plain XK, and I know the XKR realistically has a higher resale value, but I'm hoping I have this car for a long long time. It's a 2015 XK with 22K miles. I scoured through the dealer supplied Carfax and it looks like I am the first private owner of this car. It was first owned by a dealer in Reno, then went to a dealer in Las Vegas, then to the dealer I got it from. It's had all the scheduled service done, and was even a Jaguar Certified 'Pre-Owned' car, even though it has never been registered to a private owner before. I'm getting a little older, but not done with life yet! That said, I figured I wouldn't be utilizing the extra HP and power of a super charged engine, and figured eventual repair costs to the super charger would be more than the regular XK.

I sold my 1977 C3 Corvette, which I had a love/hate relationship with. I loved the look, but hated the performance (or extreme lack of). I have NO idea what Chevrolet was thinking when they decided to keep that awful 3spd automatic transmission around so long. I never realized how much I disliked the driving experience until I got an '87 944 S. I'm kinda thinking I may end up with the same feelings about the 944 S after driving the XK! I'm waiting for delivery, hopefully in a week or so.

The following 9 users liked this post by WHB64:
Cee Jay (11-23-2021), FastEddy (12-15-2021), fuzzyhippo (11-28-2021), guy (11-23-2021), Jaxxr1 (11-27-2021), peterv8 (11-23-2021), Sean W (11-24-2021), steve_k_xk (11-24-2021), wsn03 (11-29-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:17 PM

Those are dealer pictures of the car, I'll be taking more once it arrives. My only concern is 23K miles and just two dealerships. I doubt they were all from test drives, so I'm thinking the sales people were driving it around and using it for personal use, which could mean it had some hard driving. But then again, it has had all scheduled maintenance done and certified by Jaguar. The bad... definitely no manufacturers warranty. I don't plan on using it as a daily driver, but as I've read on here and other Jag forums, it's also bad to just let them sit thinking low mileage means no (fewer) issues. Basically it's going to be a date car, or special occasion driver when the weather is nice. Questions- On average what does the scheduled service check typically cost? I called the local Jaguar dealer and really didn't get a comfortable vibe when the manager of the service department said he never saw an XK in person! He said the 30K mile scheduled check is $550 and they replace all fluids and filters as well as they replace the brake lines (that surprised me). Honestly, if that includes parts and labor I didn't think it was that bad. What have others experienced? Just preparing myself on what to expect

The following users liked this post:
ExKayRick (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Welcome aboard. You are in for a good time. It sounds as if you found a good one. Regarding the servicing, read the owner's manual and follow the annual schedule, and then I add in an extra oil change at when I hit an additional 5k miles. I don't know about changing the brake lines but do have the bake fluid changed every two years. These cars love to be driven and driven well (some would say hard). Also check all the flexible hoses. Good luck!!

Old 11-23-2021, 07:50 PM

I've read that the water pump is a common issue with the XK. what should I be looking for other than obvious leaks?

Old 11-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

There are several issues. Suggest you put water pump issues 5 liter engine in the search box. That should pull up several different threads that will guide you through what potential issues there may be. One of them will also list the latest iteration if you should have to replace your water pump. with a 2015 you may have the newest one already.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Curious if you’re the first titled owner, wouldn’t the in service date be now and as such would not the full
warranty apply?

I’d also hope as it’s been in the custody of main dealers only it would have been given proper scheduled service or at least you’d been given the service history.

I wouldn’t overthink service too much, that’s quite an example
you’ve snagged.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Curious if you’re the first titled owner, wouldn’t the in service date be now and as such would not the full
warranty apply?

I’d also hope as it’s been in the custody of main dealers only it would have been given proper scheduled service or at least you’d been given the service history.

I wouldn’t overthink service too much, that’s quite an example
you’ve snagged.
That sure would be nice, but I think it's one of those '4 years or X number of miles or whichever comes first', but it certainly won't hurt to ask Jaguar. It does have the full service history, including when they washed and detailed the car. I'm hoping with the low miles and the fact it's had all the scheduled service (don't think there were many though with only 23K miles) that it's basically in 'new' but 'broken in' condition. Next scheduled maintenance is 30K but that will probably take me a year or more to put 7K miles on it. I work from a home office and I don't even put 5K miles a year on my primary vehicle. This car though is pretty much a dream car and I want to keep it that way. If the routine service checks aren't a bank account killer I will definitely take it to the dealership. Actually if they are expensive, at least I'll know and can start a 'Jag account' at the bank lol.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:23 AM

I've been reading everything I can and watching endless videos before my car arrives. Another question... What exactly did I just buy? Yeah yeah a standard XK I know What I mean though that's confusing is I have read over and over that 2014 was the last year for the XK, and in 2015 they produced the 'Final Fifty'. My car certainly is not a Final Fifty, but it's definitely a '2015'. The VIN comes up with 2015, the emblem background is red not black (one video pointed that out for 2015 models, not sure if others have it). I'm assuming this was built in late 2014 as the '2015' model, which does line up with Carfax showing it went to it's first dealership on 10/30/2014 to Jaguar Land Rover Reno. 06/10/2016 it went to Land Rover Las Vegas and was with them until 05/18/2021 when it went to the last dealership, then I bought it two days ago.

While at the Las Vegas dealership it had a different wing/spoiler installed (this one looks a little bigger than the one on the 2013 I was looking at), and windows tinted. Between the first two dealerships it's had all the scheduled maintenance and lists 7 oil changes done, body electrical wiring repaired, battery replaced, battery/charging system checked, brakes checked, and alignment checked. The vent trim is also same color as the body and not chrome. None of that really matters because I love the looks of this car, just trying to find out as much about it as I can.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Absolutely superb !

Never seen performance seats in anything but the xkrs, dynamic or final fifty wondering if they were installed by previous owner a vin check would clear this up

Old 11-24-2021, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Absolutely superb !

Never seen performance seats in anything but the xkrs, dynamic or final fifty wondering if they were installed by previous owner a vin check would clear this up
This is what comes up in the VIN Decoder about the seats-
Heated/Cooled Front Luxury Bucket Seats -inc: 16-way power adjustable driver and front passenger seats w/up/down lumbar, cushion length and variable bolster to seat angle, forward/rearward, seat cushion tilt, lumbar and cushion height, 3-position driver/passenger seat memory, door mounted power seat controls, heated/cooled front seat cushion w/3-stage variable settings via touch-screen and driver and front passenger 4-way (raise/lower and tilt forward/rearward) manual headrests

It lists manual headrests but mine look like they are fixed. Maybe the pictures are not the same car?

Old 11-24-2021, 01:28 AM

Yeah something is off here. The VIN Decoder says chrome grill and the one pictured is black.
This is what I found for installed options:
  • 20" Venom-Style Wheels $1,000 - 20" x 9.0" twin 5-spoke front alloy wheels and 20" x 10.0" twin 5-spoke rear alloy wheels
  • Jet Black Suede cloth Headliner - $775
  • Wheel Lock Pack - $138 Chrome wheel locks; License plate frame with Jaguar logo
  • Truffle (Leather) - $0
Total Value (at the time of build) - $1,913

Old 11-24-2021, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Welcome! Bunch o stuff:

- love the car. Basic black-on-black with some tinting. Also the last year made. 2014 is for the UK - the run of this car in the UK was 2006-2014, but the US was 2007-2015, so yes you got a 2015. And, as the name suggests, the last 50 built are "final 50" cars, but there are plenty of 2015 XK's that were not in the final 50.
- I'm with Jahummer on the warranty issue. Do you have a Carfax you can share? I'm not a big fan of Carfax, but they get one thing right: the date first registered (either as a private or corporate (leased) vehicle. It'll say something like "registration reported" or "first owner reported." If various dealerships were using it as the GM's drivearound car, you should be warrantied based on the in-service date, and the carfax should show that, and yes you may be warrantied for a bit.
- it's entirely possible to have sport seats and not have an XKR.... IF your car has the "Performance Active Exhaust" option. (Or maybe I'm thinking of the Dynamic Pack,which would include the Performance Active Exhaust- PAE.) That would be on the build sheet. I love the cooled seats but the performance active exhaust is a great option and yes I think the sports seats came with that option. (But according to you, that's not on the build sheet? Should be, as an option. Kinda odd of going to the expense of putting those seats in otherwise...?)
Oh, and an edit: re-read your post - the XK's with the Dynamic/PAE option did indeed get a larger rear spoiler.

Anyway, and again: welcome. You're going to have fun and get compliments. And few things are better in life.

Last edited by pk4144; 11-24-2021 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say off dare I say it a enthusiast has owned this .

The wheels are indeed venom however it looks like he's had the window surround reveal , grill , plinth and vents all blacked out along with the larger duck tail spoiler.

The seats are most likely from a xkrs and installed by previous owner as well (super score there !) I'm also wondering if the previous owner also had a x-pipe mid pipe installed .

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 11-24-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144
Welcome! Bunch o stuff:

Oh, and an edit: re-read your post - the XK's with the Dynamic/PAE option did indeed get a larger rear spoiler.

Anyway, and again: welcome. You're going to have fun and get compliments. And few things are better in life.
Thanks and yes I am going to have a lot of fun with this car! One nice thing about being a little older is hot rodding and showing off is out of my system
About that spoiler- It says on the Carfax report that on 08/25/2016
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Wing/spoiler installed
I do see something odd on the report. On other reports, when there was a private owner, there is an 'owner' column, there isn't one on this report. Looks like it did have an owner... on 10/30/2016 I see - Sold as a Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, I missed that I guess, there are a ton of entries for all the service checks done. It keeps showing Land Rover Las Vegas, I guess that's where they had it serviced. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast looking up all the details and information.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
I wouldn't say off dare I say it a enthusiast has owned this .

The wheels are indeed venom however it looks like he's had the window surround reveal , grill , plinth and vents all blacked out along with the larger duck tail spoiler.

The seats are most likely from a xkrs and installed by previous owner as well (super score there !) I'm also wondering if the previous owner also had a x-pipe mid pipe installed .
That would be pretty sweet if they did. I watched videos on this and it's hard to tell from a recording, but it did sound better. Another question... does doing that void the warranty (not that it looks like I have one) or raise red flags at the dealership when you take it in for routine service? I've read the other threads about whether it causes performance issue due to back pressure changing and guys have said it doesn't, or hasn't for them.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB64
Thanks and yes I am going to have a lot of fun with this car! One nice thing about being a little older is hot rodding and showing off is out of my system
About that spoiler- It says on the Carfax report that on 08/25/2016
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Wing/spoiler installed
I do see something odd on the report. On other reports, when there was a private owner, there is an 'owner' column, there isn't one on this report. Looks like it did have an owner... on 10/30/2016 I see - Sold as a Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, I missed that I guess, there are a ton of entries for all the service checks done. It keeps showing Land Rover Las Vegas, I guess that's where they had it serviced. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast looking up all the details and information.
Ahhhh, so maybe no on the warranty then. Oh well.
Go to where you bought it and have them put it up on a lift and check for the x-pipe, and then you'll know! Sounds like maybe not. Which is not a knock against the car, FYI.
Your milage is solid for one of these cars.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:27 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Great car!

On performance seats - seen them before in N/A XK (late models), so I guess it's completely fine (not a mod).

Old 11-24-2021, 04:48 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

I've read that the water pump is a common issue with the XK. what should I be looking for other than obvious leaks?
sticky buttons and a droopy headliner. your car lived in a hot climate for a while there. i spent about an hour using goo gone on the button residue the week i got mine.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tmich
Great car!

On performance seats - seen them before in N/A XK (late models), so I guess it's completely fine (not a mod).
tmich it list the standard bucket sports seat on his vin not the performance seats so somewhere along the line these have been instead by owner.

looks like there are three of us on this forum now with performance seats in non xkrs vehicles

Old 11-24-2021, 06:56 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Greeting everyone... new and my first post here. I just bought my first Jaguar! It's just a plain XK, and I know the XKR realistically has a higher resale value, but I'm hoping I have this car for a long long time. It's a 2015 XK with 22K miles. I scoured through the dealer supplied Carfax and it looks like I am the first private owner of this car. It was first owned by a dealer in Reno, then went to a dealer in Las Vegas, then to the dealer I got it from. It's had all the scheduled service done, and was even a Jaguar Certified 'Pre-Owned' car, even though it has never been registered to a private owner before. I'm getting a little older, but not done with life yet! That said, I figured I wouldn't be utilizing the extra HP and power of a super charged engine, and figured eventual repair costs to the super charger would be more than the regular XK.

I sold my 1977 C3 Corvette, which I had a love/hate relationship with. I loved the look, but hated the performance (or extreme lack of). I have NO idea what Chevrolet was thinking when they decided to keep that awful 3spd automatic transmission around so long. I never realized how much I disliked the driving experience until I got an '87 944 S. I'm kinda thinking I may end up with the same feelings about the 944 S after driving the XK! I'm waiting for delivery, hopefully in a week or so.

it got the black pack,Big spoiler,front splitter,and performance seats.It got better exterior parts than mine and mine's a 2013 XKR.I would say interior too cause the seats do look better, but I heard they only come heated and not with the cooling option

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 11-24-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Jumping in with everyone!