XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jumping in with everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Maybe they got a better offer.
Did you give a deposit? If so, they still have to sell to you or pay you any excess profit they receive from a different sale. That's the law part.

Search the VIN on the Googles, you may find some info. Relisted maybe? Reported Sold again???

Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 AM
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Maybe they got a better offer.
Did you give a deposit? If so, they still have to sell to you or pay you any excess profit they receive from a different sale. That's the law part.

Search the VIN on the Googles, you may find some info. Relisted maybe? Reported Sold again???
Yep, they already took the deposit and up until this morning it was a done deal waiting delivery. It passed the Jaguar Certified inspection, and their 150 point inspection and 'now' it's suddenly 'unrepairable' and 'unsellable'... their words.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Someone else on this forum had his car slip out from under him and this may be the case in your situation also. I'll leave his name off as he's since found another one he loves.

They told him a truck hit it "during the night" yet had no pics or insurance claim to share with him. Clearly someone walked in with a better offer and they took it.

I don't know the laws in WV or where the car was purchased but you might want to see what your options are contractually, if there even are any. You may be entitled to compensation. Loose leather and smell of coolant might disqualify the car as precertified but certainly not unsellable. This vehicle certainly looked unique.

Sorry this happened to you.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Someone else on this forum had his car slip out from under him and this may be the case in your situation also. I'll leave his name off as he's since found another one he loves.

They told him a truck hit it "during the night" yet had no pics or insurance claim to share with him. Clearly someone walked in with a better offer and they took it.

I don't know the laws in WV or where the car was purchased but you might want to see what your options are contractually, if there even are any. You may be entitled to compensation. Loose leather and smell of coolant might disqualify the car as precertified but certainly not unsellable. This vehicle certainly looked unique.

Sorry this happened to you.
Agreed, unless they blew a head gasket, a coolant leak should be fixable, even if it's coming from the water pump. Of course maybe it was bad enough it over heated when they were driving it and damaged the motor. They do have a 2013 with the Advanced Technology package and 20" Kalimnos rims, leather headliner and all that, but not the nice seats and blacked out chrome It also has 63K miles vs 23K miles. It's over $10K cheaper too.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I still say Run the VIN in Google, see what pops up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
jahummer (11-29-2021), ralphwg (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Good idea but may take a few months to get updated even with carfax.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

My post disappeared for some reason but I was trying to say something’s rotten in Denmark and Carvana doesn’t have the best reputation either.

The leather Poltrona Frau headliner was extremely rare and usually optioned only with the XKR-S, sometimes with the XKR.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

What a saga.

I was two days away from taking delivery on this exact car in January '21. It was listed as having cooled seats (a requirement for me here in San Antonio), and I kept checking the site daily to uh...enjoy the view, make sure nothing changed. Two days from delivery, the "cooled seats" was dropped from the description. I contacted the company, and after much wrangling (essentially me insisting someone at the dealership walk out and confirm whether or not it had that option), was told that a last-minute pre-sale inspection had uncovered that it does not have cooled seats. Cancelled the sale, they refunded the deposit PDQ.

What I find particularly odd is that over the last 11 months at least, the price for this car has not budged. I was tracking several XK's on the company's site, and cars would routinely drop in price every couple weeks until they disappeared. I still get the weekly "The XK you wanted is still available! Hurry!" emails for this 2015 (including today!), and I always click to check the price. They even updated the mileage, presumably to reflect some test drives, but that price has not changed. The longer it sat there, the more I wondered why this one XK has neither been sold nor marked down in an absolutely crazy year for used car prices/action.

I still love that car in black and a black pack--it is so sharp--but I'm definitely glad I didn't buy it. Ended up with a low-mileage 2010 XK in claret, and I'm still over the moon for the car. Missing some of the gadgetry that I wanted, but I don't care. All of that is a long way of saying that I am a firm believer that the right car for you will come along.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Poltrona Frau leather headliners are extremely rare and usually reserved for the XKR-S or XKR.

As for your car something's rotten in Denmark....but if it is Carvana, they don't have the best reputation.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Poltrona Frau leather headliners are extremely rare and usually reserved for the XKR-S or XKR.

As for your car something's rotten in Denmark....but if it is Carvana, they don't have the best reputation.
What's stranger about this car is the Black Diamond Pack keeps coming up as an XKR option too. The 2013 has a leather headliner in it as well, it's listed on the window sticker as a $2600 option.

Okay so guys get this... they went through the whole car and said there is no coolant leak or any issues with the engine or mechanics. They said someone had spilled coolant in the garage and that's what they smelled. Yeah, okay... they really jumped the gun on it then. This is what they are saying is wrong with the dash- see if any of you have seen this and if it's an easy fix... It looks like a grill or something goes over that opening. The picture is taken from the outside of the car through the windshield. I'm kinda having trouble making out what this area is and if there is a grill that they removed. Right now they are having an adjuster come out to determine how much the repair will cost. So they are back to I didn't lose the car, it's just on hold at this point. I gotta say I hope this isn't foreshadowing what it's going to be like owning one of these! lol

Old 11-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Very common problem, search the dozens of threads regarding dash shrinkage, happens to nearly all cars fitted with leather, especially when the adhesive fails and the leather wasn't attached properly.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yet another scandal with Carvana, first selling stolen cars with forged VINs and now this

https://autos.yahoo.com/carvana-buye...173300198.html

Old 11-29-2021, 04:49 PM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

See this thread:

Leather on dash 'pulling' - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Post #36 has some pictures that might help. Unfortunately, there is not a cheap, nor easy repair.

Scroll all the way to post #245 for a good shot of the problem.

Last edited by fxdwg; 11-29-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by fxdwg
See this thread:

Leather on dash 'pulling' - Page 2 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Post #36 has some pictures that might help. Unfortunately, there is not a cheap, nor easy repair.

Scroll all the way to post #245 for a good shot of the problem.
So is this a 'walk away' issue then?

Old 11-29-2021, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

It's purely cosmetic and repairable via several methods or replaceable. Depends on whether the seller is willing to assist and if you are willing to address it on your own if they don't.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 PM

It's purely cosmetic and repairable via several methods or replaceable. Depends on whether the seller is willing to assist and if you are willing to address it on your own if they don't.
Right now they at least sound like they are trying to work with me. They have an adjuster coming in tomorrow morning to give an estimate and then we'll go from there. I'm still reading though that War and Peace size thread about the leather dash issues! Is this still an issue with newer cars? (I'm sure that will be answered in that thread when I get to the end!) I had a thought... So far lots of people in that thread were talking about the poor treatment they got from Jaguar, what about going to the parent company Tata? Maybe with enough complaints they will step in and do something. Worse case is they say no.

As far as the car I am trying to get, it looks like the problem is just starting. Hopefully it can be fixed before it gets worse, but from that thread probably a replacement dash top is the only real permanent solution, other than having it professionally recovered.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

[QUOTE=WHB64;2470327]What's stranger about this car is the Black Diamond Pack keeps coming up as an XKR option too. The 2013 has a leather headliner in it as well, it's listed on the window sticker as a $2600 option.

Okay so guys get this... they went through the whole car and said there is no coolant leak or any issues with the engine or mechanics. They said someone had spilled coolant in the garage and that's what they smelled. Yeah, okay... they really jumped the gun on it then. This is what they are saying is wrong with the dash- see if any of you have seen this and if it's an easy fix... It looks like a grill or something goes over that opening. The picture is taken from the outside of the car through the windshield. I'm kinda having trouble making out what this area is and if there is a grill that they removed. Right now they are having an adjuster come out to determine how much the repair will cost. So they are back to I didn't lose the car, it's just on hold at this point. I gotta say I hope this isn't foreshadowing what it's going to be like owning one of these! lol[QUOTE]

that grill/grate is nearly impossible to find and only available as an entire dash from Jaguar ($7k)? There was a gent on the XK forum who had ones made of metal and with some auto tape. That's what I have. as the heat just crumbles them. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car but don't hold out for the grill/grate.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Tata has owned JLR for over 10 years. Yes it’s a problem with other marques as well, like I said previously, combination of leather, adhesive, environment and design. The leather was cut short and just glued in place.

If only the edge is lifting, there’s 2 ways to go at this, remove the windshield and easily stretch, glue and staple to look like new again or fix it from inside by removing the dash and doing the same repair. I would NOT recover as I’ve yet to see one done right. Of course a new replacement could be ordered and JLR may accommodate. They replaced mine but I’ve also been a long time JLR owner.

I wouldn’t settle on anything less considering the low mileage and condition of the car.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:21 PM
Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Poltrona Frau

Poltrona Frau headliner was standard on the XKR Special Edition (Portfolio) at least in 2013.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:29 PM

Tata has owned JLR for over 10 years. Yes it’s a problem with other marques as well, like I said previously, combination of leather, adhesive, environment and design. The leather was cut short and just glued in place.

If only the edge is lifting, there’s 2 ways to go at this, remove the windshield and easily stretch, glue and staple to look like new again or fix it from inside by removing the dash and doing the same repair. I would NOT recover as I’ve yet to see one done right. Of course a new replacement could be ordered and JLR may accommodate. They replaced mine but I’ve also been a long time JLR owner.

I wouldn’t settle on anything less considering the low mileage and condition of the car.
Well lol... my fear is that I am getting old... taking the dash out won't be the problem, it's remembering were everything goes and what plugs in where when I put it back together!

Quick Reply: Jumping in with everyone!