XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jumping in with everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 08:54 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

This is an unfortunate turn of events for you. These cars with low mileage in good condition are getting very rare. I'm on my 3rd XKR and had a difficult time finding the car I wanted. They do require maintenance and extra preventative maintenance to deal with the few known problems. Although, all performance oriented cars require extra maintenance. I only experienced the supercharger isolator problem which was covered under warranty; other than this the cars I've owned have been a dream. You are buying an 8 year old car with no warranty.

You're buying it unseen from a scrupulous dealer. The best of dealers are not totally truthful. Without knowing the car and being able to verify it's history you are taking a leap of faith. With the low mileage and being an XK it probably wasn't driven hard (less wear and tear). The leather dash problem is most likely from the car being subjected to the sun over and over and can be repaired professionally at a price.

If you want the car and can afford it, including the maintenance, I would require they repair the dash properly and have it professionally inspected.

When I purchased my 2014 XKR, Dynamic R, 2 years ago with certified warranty and only 15,000 miles I did the following as preventative maintenance :

1. Transmission fluid change.
2. Rare differential fluid change.
3. Coolant fluid change.
4. Brake fluid change.
5. Battery replacement.
6. Oil change.
7. Replaced all plastic coolant hoses with new or one piece newer version.
​​​​​​
You will need to do all of the above and more. The car is 8 years old with known issues. The known issues can be dealt with through preventative and careful maintenance. Do I regret buying an XKR? Absolutely not. Will I buy anther one? Yes. Is the XK/XKR reliable? Yes, no worse than any other performance car.
​​
​​

Old 11-29-2021, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

OK, so you are in W Va. Where is the car? perhaps one of us could go have a look at it for you? Why have they sent you a picture of the issue through the windshield? It seems to me they should be able to get a good photo(s) from inside. You may want to PM Tberg. He is a member of the Forum and has had experience with the pulling dash and is knowledgeable regarding fabrics and leathers. Good luck

Old 11-29-2021, 11:23 PM
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
OK, so you are in W Va. Where is the car? perhaps one of us could go have a look at it for you? Why have they sent you a picture of the issue through the windshield? It seems to me they should be able to get a good photo(s) from inside. You may want to PM Tberg. He is a member of the Forum and has had experience with the pulling dash and is knowledgeable regarding fabrics and leathers. Good luck
Ralph it is at Winder GA. From the inside of the car, at least from the pictures, the dash looks fine.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:44 AM

Just got the call... they 'kicked it' to wholesale. All the email said was there were more issues than just the dash (again nothing that ever came up in any of the previous inspections or routine maintenance checks) and the total repair would be $5600. Me thinks someone there wants the car, but maybe it does have issues.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB64
Just got the call... they 'kicked it' to wholesale. All the email said was there were more issues than just the dash (again nothing that ever came up in any of the previous inspections or routine maintenance checks) and the total repair would be $5600. Me thinks someone there wants the car, but maybe it does have issues.
Ask them to sell it to you at the wholesale price.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:43 AM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

Given what's transpired, I'd walk. Not only from that car, but from that dealership, as well. There's just too many things that are working against that nice warm and fuzzy feeling you should be getting. Another car will come along.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Ask them to sell it to you at the wholesale price.
I suggested that, or reduce the price but they wouldn't. She said their policy is if they can't repair something or the cost is too much they 'kick it'. I said, "Well you'd get more by reducing the price and selling to me than you're going to get at wholesale".

For anyone interested, it's going to be sold in GA, she's going to see if she can find out where, but my gut is telling me someone at the service center wants the car... or maybe it does have a lot of issues and the low miles were VERY hard miles put on it. Anyway, it's gone I'm looking at some others. The coupes are getting hard to find.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:40 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

I suggested that, or reduce the price but they wouldn't. She said their policy is if they can't repair something or the cost is too much they 'kick it'. I said, "Well you'd get more by reducing the price and selling to me than you're going to get at wholesale".

For anyone interested, it's going to be sold in GA, she's going to see if she can find out where, but my gut is telling me someone at the service center wants the car... or maybe it does have a lot of issues and the low miles were VERY hard miles put on it. Anyway, it's gone I'm looking at some others. The coupes are getting hard to find.

Its just meant to be. Sorry for you loss....I know how you feel. I would like to say one will pop up just like it ......but those seats are kinda uber rare. Bright side is there are always black/black XK coupes for sale, just not with the performance seats. I would keep on the Carvana people, try to work you way up their chain to someone who has the horsepower to say yes to a wholesale deal.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:21 PM

I agree, I'll find one. It may not have all the options, but it's not like the aero kit and blacked out chrome can't be done to any XK The seats... those might be harder to find, and definitely more expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 12:35 PM

Well I did find another XK, but really loved that 2015. Get this... I found it! It is now for sale at a dealership in Chicago for $50K! They did buy it from an auction in GA, so it was 'kicked' to wholesale, but they said there was no mechanical issues, the motor was fine and running strong, and the dash appears to be minor and just starting the glue separation up by the defroster vent. The original dealer lost money on this car I'm sure of that. There was no reason to wholesale it. I'll never know what it sold for at auction, but I am sure it was a fraction of the price it is listed at now. I just can't believe things went down the way they did with this car. Some lucky person, especially if it's someone from this forum that has read the history of all this could probably negitiate a much better price. Hell if I lived closer to Chicago I'd be there right now!

Old 12-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Well I did find another XK, but really loved that 2015. Get this... I found it! It is now for sale at a dealership in Chicago for $50K! They did buy it from an auction in GA, so it was 'kicked' to wholesale, but they said there was no mechanical issues, the motor was fine and running strong, and the dash appears to be minor and just starting the glue separation up by the defroster vent. The original dealer lost money on this car I'm sure of that. There was no reason to wholesale it. I'll never know what it sold for at auction, but I am sure it was a fraction of the price it is listed at now. I just can't believe things went down the way they did with this car. Some lucky person, especially if it's someone from this forum that has read the history of all this could probably negitiate a much better price. Hell if I lived closer to Chicago I'd be there right now!
If I were you you.... I'd be glad you never purchased this car. When things start out badly, they usually get worse. Unscrupulous dealer as well! Put it behind you.

jahummer (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
This is an unfortunate turn of events for you. These cars with low mileage in good condition are getting very rare. I'm on my 3rd XKR and had a difficult time finding the car I wanted. They do require maintenance and extra preventative maintenance to deal with the few known problems. Although, all performance oriented cars require extra maintenance. I only experienced the supercharger isolator problem which was covered under warranty; other than this the cars I've owned have been a dream. You are buying an 8 year old car with no warranty.

You're buying it unseen from a scrupulous dealer. The best of dealers are not totally truthful. Without knowing the car and being able to verify it's history you are taking a leap of faith. With the low mileage and being an XK it probably wasn't driven hard (less wear and tear). The leather dash problem is most likely from the car being subjected to the sun over and over and can be repaired professionally at a price.

If you want the car and can afford it, including the maintenance, I would require they repair the dash properly and have it professionally inspected.

When I purchased my 2014 XKR, Dynamic R, 2 years ago with certified warranty and only 15,000 miles I did the following as preventative maintenance :

1. Transmission fluid change.
2. Rare differential fluid change.
3. Coolant fluid change.
4. Brake fluid change.
5. Battery replacement.
6. Oil change.
7. Replaced all plastic coolant hoses with new or one piece newer version.
​​​​​​
You will need to do all of the above and more. The car is 8 years old with known issues. The known issues can be dealt with through preventative and careful maintenance. Do I regret buying an XKR? Absolutely not. Will I buy anther one? Yes. Is the XK/XKR reliable? Yes, no worse than any other performance car.
​​
​​
i'm wondering where can you go to get a transmission fluid change and a differential fluid change?

Old 12-09-2021, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
i'm wondering where can you go to get a transmission fluid change and a differential fluid change?
Prolly should have started a different thread Barry but any transmission shop can do both. The transmission in your car is also in Audi's, BMW's, Hyundai's and others. It's a common transmission and nothing that any decent trans shop can't handle. Dame with the differential.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
If I were you you.... I'd be glad you never purchased this car. When things start out badly, they usually get worse. Unscrupulous dealer as well! Put it behind you.
The problem wasn't the car... it was the dealer. I would have loved getting this car.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:13 PM

Below is the car the OP lost out on. This is a link to the auction that it just sold for ($33,6000). Its being re-sold at Greater Chicago Motors for $50k. Here is the auction results with lots of detailed pics from the auction. I wonder if they will disclose the known issues to prospective buyers over the phone? As with any used car dealer, you have to do a proper PPI in person as Greater Chicago Motors will not let the vehicle leave their property for an inspection. BTW, it shows a detailed pic of the dash separation.....pretty bad. Nice car.....Ill let the collective comment on the asking price.

https://plc.ua/en/auctions/lot/jagua...4fb8flb55009/#

Old 12-09-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by lear60man
Below is the car the OP lost out on. This is a link to the auction that it just sold for ($33,6000). Its being re-sold at Greater Chicago Motors for $50k. Here is the auction results with lots of detailed pics from the auction. I wonder if they will disclose the known issues to prospective buyers over the phone? As with any used car dealer, you have to do a proper PPI in person as Greater Chicago Motors will not let the vehicle leave their property for an inspection. BTW, it shows a detailed pic of the dash separation.....pretty bad. Nice car.....Ill let the collective comment on the asking price.

https://plc.ua/en/auctions/lot/jagua...4fb8flb55009/#

That is a much clearer picture of the dash than what they sent me. Funny though that during the several 150 point inspections that was never seen until the delivery inspection. Even the original dealer pics didn't show any signs of that. Any idea what the codes mean? I guess they got more than I thought they would get at auction. I'm still waiting on the 2013.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:02 PM

That is a much clearer picture of the dash than what they sent me. Funny though that during the several 150 point inspections that was never seen until the delivery inspection. Even the original dealer pics didn't show any signs of that. Any idea what the codes mean? I guess they got more than I thought they would get at auction. I'm still waiting on the 2013.
My google-gu found the code in the pic was a shortened version of a larger code. Maybe the cheepo reader could only spit out so many digits? Anyway, google results came back here to JF and mentioned something about cruise control module or other systems. But without the proper scanner........?

Old 12-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Prolly should have started a different thread Barry but any transmission shop can do both. The transmission in your car is also in Audi's, BMW's, Hyundai's and others. It's a common transmission and nothing that any decent trans shop can't handle. Dame with the differential.
I didn't think of it this way. I just need to do a little research and find the right transmission shop that could give me a good fluid change. Im trying to get it changed when i reach the 65,000-75,000 mile mark even tho my friend who have a 2009 XK is close to 150,000 miles and never had a transmission fluid change. I just don't feel like taking no chances lol

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 12-10-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Sean W (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

IF you plan to keep it change it. Like Sean said all ZF transmissions have the same procedure, replace pan and fill to proper level. If you really want it done properly, a fluid exchange is more complete, also replacing the 3 litres or so of fluid in the torque convertor.

Sean W (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
I didn't think of it this way. I just need to do a little research and find the right transmission shop that could give me a good fluid change. Im trying to get it changed when i reach the 65,000-75,000 mile mark even tho my friend who have a 2009 XK is close to 150,000 miles and never had a transmission fluid change. I just don't feel like taking no chances lol
Good choice on your part Barry. This is ZF's official stance:"ZF automatic transmissions are filled with specially developed semi-synthetic oils.
At very high operating temperatures, the oil ages faster than under normal conditions. Examples:
􏰀 Many trips at high speeds.
􏰀 Many trips with a trailer in tow.
􏰀 Sporty driving.
Depending on the driving style, ZF therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 80 000 to 120 000 km, or after 8 years at the latest."

So that's 50,000 miles - 74,500 miles depending on your driving style. Obviously the more aggressive driving and environment, the closer to 50,000 miles you want to change.

Barry Leftwich (12-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Jumping in with everyone!