XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Just got car back from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just got car back from dealership

My check engine light came on, but was running fine, for about a week, then one day on the way home it sputtered and restricted performance came on, but then it DIED. I sat a minute, and fired it right back up. Light stayed on, but it drove home fine. We bought the scan tool and it was throwing the fuel pressure codes and while fussing with it, it sputtered a bit. We cleared the codes, drove it for a couple days, light came back on. I took it in to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pressure sensor, diagnostic, parts and labor $515.00. It could have been worse.

The worst part of this whole ordeal was the loaner car they gave me. It was a new Land Rover Discovery Sport and it totally sucked driving that thing. The seats were hard, the suspension stiff and you felt every crack in the road. The brakes were jumpy not smooth, the auto start/stop was annoying. And it had NO go. Trying to get in and out of the Dallas freeway traffic was taking your life in your hands. You hit the gas and it didn't react. The best things about it were the sounds system and the navigation. My 09 XK navigation really stinks, but the Land Rover nav was really awesome. Wish I could somehow get that in my car.

All I know is I am SO glad to have my Jaguar back!!! zoom zoom!

The following 2 users liked this post by mrsclark:
Cee Jay (02-14-2018), TexasTraveler (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Funny as at one of my oil changes I got one of them to use while they did the work. I pretty much had the same feeling then at another visit they gave me one of the E-pace which was basically the same car.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Dog gone it!! The stinking engine light came back on! A day and a half and its staring at me again. The car is running fine, but that stupid light. They are suggesting its the fuel pump now, and that is going to cost me $2200!!!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mrsclark
Dog gone it!! The stinking engine light came back on! A day and a half and its staring at me again. The car is running fine, but that stupid light. They are suggesting its the fuel pump now, and that is going to cost me $2200!!!
What was the code that was pulled and how do they come to the conclusion it is the FP. They should be able to trouble shoot the FP for voltage and current draw. Also they should be able to see fuel pressure to determine if that may be the problem. Once again how do they determine it's the pump. Now I would tell them that they said they fixed the problem with the $500 of work they did and it did not so I want the labor cost $'s back. Now if they want to replace the FP then do it but if it doesn't fix the problem then I won't pay. Talk to the service manager and the dealership owner/exec.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

A dealer should to be able to tell the difference between a fuel pressure sensor problem and fuel pump problem. How do they know it is not a plugged fuel pick up screen or fuel filter?

Before spending any more money with them I would get an understanding of why they misdiagnosed it the first time and why they think they are right this time. If they can't give a reasonable explanation, go someplace else.

My experience with electric fuel pumps is they either work or they don't. They have not been intermittent.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

The fuel pressure sensor was probably throwing a code, which is why they replaced it. The fuel pump was not throwing a code which is why they did not change it. It is not unusual to fix one thing and then another related item goes bad afterwards. If one part failed after the other, the dealer is not responsible to give the money back on the first part. Jumping down their throat on why they "misdiagnosed" the issue may not be best path to take on this. Hear them out first.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 02-16-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
The fuel pressure sensor was probably throwing a code, which is why they replaced it. The fuel pump was not throwing a code which is why they did not change it. It is not unusual to fix one thing and then another related item goes bad afterwards. If one part failed after the other, the dealer is not responsible to give the money back on the first part. Jumping down their throat on why they "misdiagnosed" the issue may not be best path to take on this. Hear them out first.
Agreed you always listen to their explanation/excuse before you jump down their throat. You also have the head of service and the dealer GM in the discussion. This is not rocket science here and with all of the dealer diagnostics available along with a good technician should be able to find and fix the problem. I have never been satisfied with an answer where they "think" this or that may be the problem. It's like a doctor telling you he thinks your shortness of breath might be a heart problem or maybe lung cancer. Show me the data/proof

Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

The fuel pressure sensor was probably throwing a code, which is why they replaced it. The fuel pump was not throwing a code which is why they did not change it.
The components, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pump, etc., don't "throw codes". The ECU looks at outputs from the various sensors and reports out of range values as fault codes. Such as P009x which denotes any one of many fuel pressure related problems. This could be caused by the sensor improperly reporting the pressure, faulty regulator, the fuel pump delivering wrong pressure or volume, a fuel system leak, a plugged strainer, filter, pinched fuel line, or other fuel delivery problem.

It is the technician/mechanic's job to look at the code(s) and troubleshoot the problem further to find the root cause and fix the actual problem. They should NOT be changing components ***** nilly until they stumble across the faulty component and replace it, like it appears this guy is doing.

If you want to keep feeding them hundreds, now thousands, of dollars until they stumble across the problem - go ahead. If it was my money I would want to get a good feeling that they can REALLY diagnose the problem before I would commit any more money to their experiments.

But that is just me and anther reason that I do 99% of the work on my cars myself. I don't have to pay someone to experiment with my car and needlessly change out good parts. It is no skin off the mechanic's back for wasting $500 of the customer's money, or possibly $2200 if the customer comes back.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-17-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:05 PM

I totally understand. I am not jumping down anyone's throat, not the way I work.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM

So, the light is back off again. Oy! My husband has the OBDII and pulled the codes, which was a high fuel pressure code, and when he looked at the graph of the fuel pressure, it all looked stable and normal. So, we aren't throwing another $2200 in it.

Gremlins.

The following users liked this post:
davchr (02-20-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

What are the codes specifically please? We might be able to steer a bit with more info though I assume the same codes as the dealership?