XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Keep your car

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Somehow I have this pit in my gut that this may be the beginning of the end for Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
ObscureDave (02-18-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Green Energy can help, but other technologies such as nuclear power and natural gas are needed for a comprehensive, fail-safe energy plan.
Agreed. The economies of developed countries depend on electricity grids with very high levels of reliability. Thus far, the only way to assure grid stability and reliability is with generation plants burning nuclear or fossil fuel. There are some renewable fuels that can be fired in traditional fossil fuel plants, such as wood pellets, but this represents a small fraction of generation in the US (a little more in the UK and Europe). The bulk of renewable electricity generation uses solar or wind energy, but these plants are inherently variable and intermittent, and they do not follow load (demand) as fossil fuel plants can. Grid-scale energy storage solutions - primarily batteries - are a long way off. So for the foreseeable future fossil fuels - primarily natural gas - will play an important role in electricity generation.

That said, powering personal vehicles with electricity is still much more efficient all-in than using petroleum. And the environmental benefits are clear.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
Stuart S (02-16-2021), tampamark (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 444 Likes on 186 Posts

Does anyone here find it ironic that a company that is world renown for unreliable electrics is going all electric?

Sounds like a great business plan to me.

Last edited by flyc2c; 02-16-2021 at 12:38 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by flyc2c:
89 Jacobra (02-16-2021), fxdwg (02-16-2021), kj07xk (02-16-2021), Marco75 (02-20-2021), Maxpower (02-18-2021), ObscureDave (02-18-2021), ralphwg (02-17-2021), Scott in PA (02-16-2021), Sean W (02-16-2021), tampamark (02-17-2021), Tervuren (02-16-2021), tmich (02-20-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
Agreed. ... That said, powering personal vehicles with electricity is still much more efficient all-in than using petroleum. And the environmental benefits are clear.
For densely populated cities, particularly those in Europe with narrow streets and limited parking, walking followed by human pedal power is the least polluting and most healthy way to get around except in bad weather. However, solar-powered minibus is probably more effective on a cost per person per mile and time basis.

The pandemic may have resulted in a fundamental change in work environments, where instead of going into the office many people will work from home. That could significantly reduce commuting traffic and change how the remaining commuters get to work.

And then there's ...

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
89 Jacobra (02-16-2021), Bill Mack (02-16-2021), tampamark (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
Agreed. The economies of developed countries depend on electricity grids with very high levels of reliability. Thus far, the only way to assure grid stability and reliability is with generation plants burning nuclear or fossil fuel. There are some renewable fuels that can be fired in traditional fossil fuel plants, such as wood pellets, but this represents a small fraction of generation in the US (a little more in the UK and Europe). The bulk of renewable electricity generation uses solar or wind energy, but these plants are inherently variable and intermittent, and they do not follow load (demand) as fossil fuel plants can. Grid-scale energy storage solutions - primarily batteries - are a long way off. So for the foreseeable future fossil fuels - primarily natural gas - will play an important role in electricity generation.

That said, powering personal vehicles with electricity is still much more efficient all-in than using petroleum. And the environmental benefits are clear.

Yeah but that takes the ROOOOAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!! out of Jaguar!!! Then you just go whooosh! Power with out the sensation is Boring!

Jack

Old 02-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 452 Posts

Agreed, I was considering a model S before I bought my X150, the reason I chose it was of the noise that I could REALLY annoy my neighbours with

Unlike stateside even detached homes in the UK are built just 10ft apart, and since I'm very end of cul-de-sac the resonance is biblical.

A good job I'm keeping my car until my grave, but have recommended 17yr old daughter takes her test in an automatic....purely because with all electric a manual tranny will be a thing for museums

Old 02-16-2021, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
... I'm keeping my car until my grave ...
You can take it with you, just like she did!

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...as-7528939.php

Old 02-16-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

With what I use my XK for I'd be happy to replace it with an electric of similar style and greater performance.
Personally I want to see electric cars and infrastructure developed by the enthusiasts, and only hit the mainstream when ready.
The push to mainstream before it is ready has the potential to be like regulating an electric grid all over the country prior to the invention of hight voltage transmission lines.
We'd either have to accept a dated horrible technolegy, or spend again to have a decent infrastructure.

Objections I have to electric are the way some are pushing it in the wrong ways and into the wrong applications.

Last edited by Tervuren; 02-16-2021 at 05:13 PM.
89 Jacobra (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Actually, as much as us petrol lovers hate it, this is a good move by Jaguar. At this time Tesla has established itself as THE premium e-vehicle provider. GM has announced their intentions which (if it actually stays on the stated timeline) will cover the masses. Jaguar is failing to compete with other brands so might as well try and go for a market that has less competition. Be a big fish in a smaller pond, right now they are a small fish in a big pond.

In the much distant future, when we are all dead, with everyone in the EV market maybe Jaguar will be a leader.

Bill Mack (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Somehow I have this pit in my gut that this may be the beginning of the end for Jaguar.
Although I have been driving Jags for over 30 years, I am inclined to agree. I test drove an I-pace when it first came out and it left me cold. Great as a point and shoot car around town but missing the theatre of its ICE brothers and not as quick as my XKR.

One article I just read said that the J Pace is canned as well as they will be leaving the SUVs to Land Rover so with the XJ canned too that just leaves small to mid range cars and cross overs. There isn't as much profit in them at the sort of numbers Jaguar are likely to sell and I am sure there will be better options out there from other manufacturers.

On a happier note, I bought my wife a BMW 330e (plugin hybrid) 3 years ago as she moved jobs to a place that was only 1km from home but refused to walk and they are still selling for the same price that I paid for it so demand seems to be going up for them.

Bill Mack (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:31 AM
Received 287 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Call me stupid but I still don't believe Electric will be the preferred power source of vehicles in the future as opposed to hydrogen. There are currently over 1 billion motor vehicles roaming around on earth, the vast majority of which are gas powered. Think about the increased demand of electricity and power plants worldwide. Does this mean we'll be burning more fossil fuels to create the power needed to fuel an additional billion cars? In California already because of mandates to use a higher percentage of renewable energy sources, we have rolling blackouts on a regular basis because solar and wind facilities do not nearly generate what we need and are increasingly coming under criticism for killing birds by the thousands. Hydrogen supply is nearly endless and produces water as a byproduct though distribution will be its challenge. I think electric vehicles is a short term bridge into the future and maybe driving altogether has little time left. It would not surprise me to see municipalities, states, even countries start outlawing the driving of individual cars under the guise of "protecting" us from the evils of excess and the inability to supply enough affordable power to meet demand without reverting to fossil fuels at least for another 50-100 years. And let's not even mention how you safely dispose of a billion toxic battery packs.
With you 100%. In Germany they run trains on hydrogen, it's probably the future when they get the cost down, and all the charger stations and batteries and the supposedly morally superior car owners will become yesterday's news...

The following 3 users liked this post by No Quarter:
mosesbotbol (02-17-2021), Sean W (02-18-2021), tberg (02-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Regardless of the eco or the future, my coworker has a Model 3 Performance and holy crap, the acceleration (regardless of lack of noise) is amazing and enjoyable. It does it in a 4 door with practicality as well. If Jaguar can get that kind of acceleration, and decent handling, they will sell cars and I'll be happy to own one. This is as someone who has owned 3 SC V8 R Model Jags.

The following 5 users liked this post by 80sRule:
Bill Mack (02-18-2021), jetsetter883 (02-18-2021), Stuart S (02-17-2021), tampamark (02-17-2021), winstonsalemncxk (02-23-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

With the cold in the United States, our solar grids were covered and failed, wind turbines are froze and start disentagrating because they have to move to lubricate. The natural gas system isn't working right as the cold has made valves and etc., none workable. Sure, electrics cars might be great, but at times like now, everybody would be walking.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
With the cold in the United States, our solar grids were covered and failed, wind turbines are froze and start disentagrating because they have to move to lubricate. The natural gas system isn't working right as the cold has made valves and etc., none workable. Sure, electrics cars might be great, but at times like now, everybody would be walking.
You're referring to Texas in an historical one off. 20% of our electric power here in Minnesota is wind power. The wind turbines are heated and insulated here as in most northern climates and do not fail. The vast majority of homes and businesses are heated with nat gas. I think every disaster brings forth opportunities to improve. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I agree with you guys the electric cars are likely a stop gap to hydrogen (perhaps) but can't see it in my lifetime.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:02 AM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Hydrogen in atomic form does not exist in appreciable quantities on earth, and so must be extracted from other compounds. The two most common methods of producing atomic hydrogen are steam-methane reforming (SMR) that uses very-high-temperature steam to extract hydrogen from natural gas, and electrolysis of water to break down down H2O molecules into its atomic constituents. SMR generally burns fossil fuels to create the steam, and of course electrolysis uses electricity.

So whichever path is taken - EVs or fuel-cell cars - generation of substantial additional energy and creation or expansion of substantial infrastructure for delivering energy to our vehicles will be required. I don't think either technology will completely displace the other.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 02-18-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

A single person can generate electricity if it all came down to the bottom rung. Be it by pedaling a generator or hooking up a treadmill, a person could eventually power an electric vehicle's battery sufficiently to operate.
I've not seen many post-apocalyptic people who could drill for and then refine oil into a gasoline well enough to run a vehicle. Biodiesel would be an option at that time, but it would take time and more effort.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
"Troubled luxury car brand Jaguar..."

Old 02-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

You are probably correct. But I've been thinking for some time, that car brands TODAY are largely irrelevant. When the XJS was made, it was a definitely a JAGUAR that looked and drove like nothing else. But the Jaguar of 2021, and all luxury or prestige brands, suffer from a bit of sameness. Their personalities have all been sanded away, and all modern cars are built very well by any standard and so there is less distinction between a brand. If a Toyota has the same overall build quality and options that a Maserati does, then what are we paying for really? The engine? Exhaust note? Fine leather? It's Italian-ness?

So if in the near future all cars are electric, then we have removed even more of the car's uniqueness and personality. All electrics drive pretty much the same. They have no distinctive engine characteristics or sexy exhaust note. The interiors are all modern and screens anyway. So who wins? The company with the best technology? The best software? Best price?

How relevant is Jaguar's racing history to a generation that never knew the ICE?

What does all that pedigree amount to now, in this revolutionary automotive future? Is it worth a premium? Or anything at all? Everyone is starting from scratch. The race is on again! And out of nowhere, Tesla is in the lead. In Jaguar's heydey, there was no Tesla. In 30 years, Jaguar may be as relevant as Duesenberg is now.

Electrics will change the complete dynamic of the car industry in every way shape and form. Brands will be irrelevant. Software will be licensed and a "driver" will interact more with Apple or Google or Samsung technology than the car manufacturer themselves. New brands and imports from China or India at cut-rate prices will change the game again, just like the previous import revolutions.

This time the best technology at the cheapest price wins. Cars will be pods. Driving will be a thing that old timers like us used to do. If you feel like you're living in the midst of a revolution, it's because we are. Cars and Tech are the next frontier. Buckle up, and don't get too nostalgic for any brands that get lost along the way.

Last edited by bigcatrescue; 02-18-2021 at 01:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bigcatrescue:
Cee Jay (02-18-2021), harryf (02-19-2021), J S (02-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Well I see the E-car fad has hit Jaguar too. Just saw a piece on Jaguar going all electric , all models by 2030. Announced by their CEO . The end is near for all of ups petroheads. Well at my present age I'm not worried as my next stage will be a walker then followed by an electric wheelchair. enjoy the ride.
which is why I have just ordered a Range Rover Sport with the V8 engine to share the garage with my 2010 XKR. I figure in decades to come my heirs and successors can decide which vehicle undergoes an e transplant and donates engine parts to the other to keep it on the road.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

We need a friendly visitation by aliens who are willing to share their propulsion systems with us.
Trouble is, I'm not sure what Earthlings would be able to offer them in exchange.......................

(on second thoughts, Maybe Exxon Mobil have already done a deal!)

Last edited by redtriangle; 02-18-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep your car