XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Keep your car

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:30 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcatrescue
Tesla has no racing pedigree. They have no historic legacy or brand. No fancy European badge or laurel wreaths. Nobody seems to care and they still sell all they can build.

Tesla is not popular with the racing crowd because they are not marketing to "car guys" and they shouldn't be. The vast majority of vehicles were never marketed to us. The modern day hourly warrior doesn't need an F1 machine to get to Taco Bell for the midnight shift.

Climate change whether we like it or not, or believe it or not, isn't going away.

If traditional car manufacturers had embraced mileage requirements instead of fighting them tooth and nail over the past 30 years, they may have wandered into the EV or alternative fuels arena on their own and who knows what they could have come up with? I recall GM having a hydrogen prototype that had a chassis similar to what they showed on the EV ad, and the body styles could be changed so you went to the dealer for your pickup body, and when you were done hauling the trailer you went back and exchanged it for your car body. A great concept.

Now every mfg has to react to this changing landscape, and get their stock price going up in the right direction. According to the stock market, if you are still making ICE vehicles, then you are stuck in the past and your stock price reflects this.

Cost to manufacture and cost of ownership will dictate who survives and who prospers. I'm not happy when my Tesla-owning friend reminds me of how much he spent on car maintenance, repairs and upkeep last year..ZERO. His estimated electric annual cost was less then $500. My Jaguar and Audi cost me around $3800 for routine and required repairs. That does not include gas, easily another $2000. Would I trade either of mine for a Tesla? Hell No!

Are consumers clamoring for electric vehicles? Or are they being foisted upon us?
Yes, consumers are clamoring for more reliable, cleaner, less expensive transportation. The few of us who cherish careening through canyons will survive.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts

What's a Tesla worth in Texas when the electric power grid goes down again? Better have a hay-powered backup in the barn!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
007XKR (02-25-2021), ralphwg (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:36 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Bigcatrescue, the automobile enthusiasts are 1% of the world population. We drive, we fix.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM
Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Count me as one of those. But I'm afraid in 20 years we enthusiasts will be 1% of the 1%.

Just so everyone is clear: I am no Tesla fan boy nor a fan of anything powered by batteries in general.

Gasoline courses through my veins. It's in my DNA.

I'm just making observations, as the industry changes around us, whether we like it or not.

By the time we are knee-deep in this change, we'll be dead or close to it, so it won't matter to us much anyway.

Last edited by bigcatrescue; 02-25-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
What's a Tesla worth in Texas when the electric power grid goes down again? Better have a hay-powered backup in the barn!
Exactly. The power grids in California, Texas, New York, etc can barely keep up with demand today. Now add tens of thousands of electric cars. The big play is in Energy.

There are lots of different oil and gas companies, and competition keeps prices in check. There's a Texaco across the street from Sunoco etc. I can buy my gas wherever I want.

But there is no competition for Electricity. In fact, it's a tightly regulated monopoly in every state. You'll buy your electricity from where they tell you you can buy it, and pay what they say you should pay for it.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I actually started planning for the 1st car when I was 14. I knew I needed money, so I walked about 4 miles each way to wash dishes for $1.35/hour. After a few months of that, winter set in so Mom saved the day and shuttled me back-n-forth for a while until I found another job closer to our house. I did odd jobs around the neighborhood shoveling driveways, mowing yards, etc. - anything to supplement the "car fund".

I wasn't some altruistic, super-motivated, driven person. I was horny. Cars had back seats, and I wanted to own my own car so I could experience making out with a girl in the back seat of my own car. I had the car and driver's license in hand when I turned 16. At midnight, I backed out my parents driveway and drove over to Christine's house to take her "for a ride". "The Night Chicago Died" got me out of the neighborhood, and then Golden Earring's "Radar Love" popped on the radio and it was time to roll.

Both of my kids had their cars & DL's at 16, and I hope their memories of that 1st solo ride are as vivid for them as mine remains for me. I cannot imagine my (future) grandkids looking forward to an Uber or Lyft ride over to their girlfriend's house for an evening on the town. Bleah.
THIS!!!!

I had my first car before I had a DL. I got it for free non working so I figured out how to fix it (easier back then because we had auto shop in HS and no computers in cars etc) . Then for 2 years straight, 99% of my $2.05/hr job went into cars. The other 1% went to pizza.

Also not a fan of EVs... yet.... but my friend who had an XK previously, bought a Tesla Model S a few yeas back and holy **** is that thing fast.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 05:10 PM

Thank you for the excellent article. Ultimately it is about Energy. Oil. Gas. Electric. It's all the same overlord we all serve.

“The writing is on the wall and the investors have to take the time. There’s been a flight out of the traditional investment opportunities in markets,” said FreeWire chief executive Arcady Sosinov, in an interview. “There’s been a flight out of the oil and gas companies and out of the traditional utilities. You have to look at other opportunities… This is going to be the largest growth opportunity of the next 10 years.”

“The demands on capital in the electrification of transport will begin to approach three quarters of a trillion annually,” Tichio said. “The short answer to your question is that the needs for capital now that we have collectively, politically, socially economically come to a consensus in terms of where we’re going and we couldn’t say that 18 months ago is going to be at a tipping point.”