XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Key FOB advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

A few years ago I contacted three different locksmiths who all said they could program and cut keys for me. After a lot of driving around, zero of those three could actually do any of it.
I went to the dealership and paid the $375, or whatever it was.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:53 AM
Received 209 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
A few years ago I contacted three different locksmiths who all said they could program and cut keys for me. After a lot of driving around, zero of those three could actually do any of it.
I went to the dealership and paid the $375, or whatever it was.
I'm sort of doing the same. A local Jaguar Independent (ex-franchise) is picking it up tomorrow to supply and program a second key. I actually phoned and emailed the nearest franchised dealer (Harwoods of Crawley), got passed from one receptionist to another and was promised a call-back that never came.

Even with an indie, it'll cost me a small fortune that I'd rather spend on something else, but I see it as insurance. I know there are cheaper ways to get this done but with only one key (and only one car), I just want it done, done right, and done now...

Old 08-07-2023, 07:50 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Mongoo You can buy a Mongoose SDD tool to change the computer settings in the car for $40 at obd2sales.comin China.
When there, I noticed a 300 pound package to make the jag and land rover keys. If you lack key is in the holder, you may be able to make a second key and third.
I spoke with Alex.
Secondly just call all Jag dealers and ask if their tech guy has the SDD obd2.
The cut metal key is sent from England directly to you for $150.

The name of the operation is TopDiag Automobile Diagnostic Tools Co. Whats app +86 18927497180.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Here in germany you can find qualified locksmiths making an exact copy of your (only) existing fob including cutting the key. The trick is that the car thinks it is always opened with the same key/fob. No new key/fob needs to be programmed.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 209 Likes on 105 Posts

A plot-thickening issue with my car: according to the Jaguar Independent who has just set up a second, Jaguar-supplied, smart key on my car, the key that came with the car (also apparently genuine Jaguar) was rejected by the dock - even though it starts the car etc..... and consequently the new key is also rejected by the dock. He says that in order to have the dock function working I would need to get a second new key (throwing away the key that came with the car). I can't understand why the smart key would be fully functional and recognised by the car as it should and yet not be accepted by the dock. I wondered if the dock itself was broken but he said no, that's not the problem.

I guess i can live with this but it doesn't cover the worst-case scenario where the smart key has a flat battery and the car tells me to put it into the dock.

Also, no blade came with the new smart key. Jaguar would supply one at £175 - and this would be pre-cut per the vin number of the car. Jaguar apparently don't supply blanks. So I just bought a blank from ebay which I will have cut.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracee
I've been anxious, also, about losing the one key I have for my '10 XK. I ordered an SDD program already loaded onto a (cheap) laptop - latest version, v163. The seller, this guy, ebay.com/itm/294220572125 claims that it can make duplicate keys - we shall see. I figure, if it works, I'll break even on the key / programming cost from the dealer, and have a usable SDD for doing other "dealer" stuff. Still awaiting its arrival from England (that's in the U/K); it's been bouncing around Long Island between UPS depots for a few days, expecting delivery on Monday. I'll post on whether I have success, or manage to brick my car in the process.
Hey lmk how it works out... I'm also on LI and finding a local indy that knows Jags is near impossible. I'm interested in seeing how the SDD setup is and might be looking for the same to keep at home just in case I need it too,.. GL with it !

Old 09-06-2023, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I now have two programmed FOBs

I never had any objection to getting the FOBs from the dealer. The dealer said my XK was too old, and they no longer had the software to program the FOBs. I revisited the dealer and reminded them I had purchased a XJ, a Vanderplas, a XK8 and my current XK from them. True, I had not made a purchase in 16 years. But I had spent about $20K with the service department on the current XK. One of the service managers recognized me and ordered two FOBs. I brought the XK in for service and they programmed the FOBs and charged me $1200 which I was happy to pay. I had the two original physical keys, so they did not have to cut those keys. I am Happy.

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (09-10-2023)