XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Key fob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Well, in retrospect, I guess I never should have posted comments in this thread - it must have been a bad omen since a couple of weeks ago I lost my keys - house and XKR. Fortunately, I had my spare XKR smart key. I bought a programmable Jaguar smart key on eBay (including the blade) for $200 and my indie Jag shop quoted me $135 to program it.

I had a 15% for off service coupon and another coupon for a free brake inspection from my local Jaguar dealer, so I decided to call them. Glad I did - only $123 before discount. So I'm out the door for $110! Both smart keys now work fine including all remote functions. Dealer cost $25 less than my indie plus I still have plenty of life left on both front and rear pads. I just have to get the blade laser cut by my local locksmith for $35. Total $345.

My old, lost smart key is now an orphan and won't work on my car and can't be reprogrammed according to my dealer.

The following users liked this post:
jimbo1948 (09-06-2015)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Update! A real bargain. When I bought my 2010 XKR a few weeks ago, I only received one key fob. It made me nervous not having a backup so I called several local locksmiths who advertise that they can provide key fobs and programming. Most really could not, one said the fob would be $350.00 plus a $150.00 programming charge, and our local Jaguar Dealer quoted me $600.00 for a programmed key fob. I checked on ebay and there seemed to be a number of used key fobs supposedly ready for reprogramming ranging in price from about $100-$200 each.

I have been very busy with work for the last couple of weeks, so I didn't really follow up with doing anything. A few days ago, I searched ebay once again, and found a fully refurbished key fob, one that the vendor claimed had been deprogrammed and ready for reprogramming at a Buy It Now price of $35.00 including shipping. I purchased it immediately figuring that if it didn't work I would only be out of pocket $35.00. It came a few days ago, looked brand new (and certainly better than my peeling chrome original). I called the locksmith that had given me the $350 + $150 quote and made an appointment to bring the car and the two fobs in. Just before the appointment, I called to confirm and was told that their computer broke and they could not do it til the next day (today).

I went in this morning and he said he could do it, but admitted that this was his first Jaguar key. I was a bit nervous. What would happen if he ruined both fobs and I got stuck there?

I sat inside the shop while the locksmith worked feverishly outside. It was not a good sign when about 20 minutes in the car alarm went off and stayed on for about 10 minutes. It finally went off and he thought that my bluetooth (which had been picking up my phone calls even though I was inside) might be blocking the programming and asked me if I could turn it off. I went to get the owners manual which I had thrown in my trunk (I had been reading it last night) but it was locked and no amount of coaxing from either key fob would open it. Oh-Oh! I turned off my cellphone, instead, and walked back into their shop, peering out occasionally to see what was going on. Now, two people were working on it, and the one sitting in the car was furiously looking through several printed instruction sheets as well as his computer in addition to which he was calling someone on his cellphone for instructions. I was really nervous now....

Finally, after about a half hour, he walked in and said everything was functioning properly. I think he was more relieved than me. He charged me $145.00, so with the $35.00 I paid for the fob and programming I was all in for $180.00 or $420.00 less than the dealer wanted.

Whew!!!

Attached Thumbnails Key fob replacement-dscf1186-1280x960-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
jimbo1948 (09-06-2015), ralphwg (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have a slightly different problem: I had two perfectly functioning remotes for my 07 XK. I wanted to replace the scratched chrome ends on one; I took it apart to change the battery at the same time. Result: it does not function at all (despite multiple repeated battery changes, just in case...) BUT the car DOES recognise this remote if it is docked in the car (in the armrest cubby); so this indicates to me that the programming has not changed. I can see nothing wrong at all with the circuit board; the battery is properly mounted (+ down), the case is properly assembled. But none of the buttons work. As it is, it will function as an emergency back-up if docked, but is otherwise useless.
Any ideas?

Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

I would guess that when you took out the battery, some of the programming memory was not retained. Unfortunately, you probably have to have it reprogrammed and it's probably going to cost around $150.00 at an independent locksmith who has the capability. The Jag dealer is probably twice that price.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

You might be right, but how a part of the programming could be lost (and why) is a mystery; the fact that the car recognises the key when it is docked suggest to me that this is a battery/connection issue, but I have now taken this apart and reconstructed it multiple times, always with the same negative effect.
Can you loose part of a programmed memory?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts
Old 07-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richard...While your note does not answer why part of the programming would go, it does reinforce my own opinion that having anyone other than a Jaguar dealer reprogramme these remotes is asking for possible trouble. At this point I will use this particular fob as an emergency back-up (because it does work when docked, and it has the door key), but the next time the XK goes in for service I might have the dealer reprogramme it - or try to. Just one thing - since nothing ever goes wrong with this XK, it may well be a long time before the dealer sees it.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Apparently the fob stores two different codes, a passive one that is validated by the Keyless Vehicle Module and the active one that is validated by the Instrument Cluster Module.

The active one is the one that is used when you dock the fob in the slot under the arm rest and the programming of this is the bit that can turn your fob in to a paper weight. The active code can be read from the transponder without the fob having a working battery.

The passive one is the one that is used when you leave it in your pocket and works via RF. In theory this code can be updated with less dire consequences and is done by using the 'Configure New Modules > KVM' function in SDD.

Given the above, it is possible that one part of the fob is faulty or it has just lost the passive code.

I had one for my '07 go bad earlier this year. I got the message fob not found a couple of times when I went to start the car and within a few days it stopped working altogether. Like you, I can still use it in the docking slot. I tried changing the battery but it made no difference. When I get a moment I might try configuring the KVM and see if I can get it working again.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

This explanation now makes sense to me...if you do get your fob working again, I'd appreciate knowing how you did it so that I can try with mine.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I had a quick play with SDD and it looks like my fob is broken.

I used the 'Security - Key Programming' option and it stepped me through the process.

The first thing it did was tell me to put all fobs by the gear lever and it then scanned to see what it could find. It said it had two fobs registered but could only find one passive fob.

It then asked me how many existing fobs I wanted to prgramme and how many new ones. It said that by new ones it meant ones that get ejected by the armrest dock when you put them in so I assume those are brand new, unprogrammed ones or ones running in default mode.

I selected two existing and zero new and it stepped through the process of putting the passive code on the fobs by getting me to press the unlock button. The known good fob worked fine but it said it failed to register the second one. I therefore ended up with no fobs registered!

I went through the process again and managed to get the original good one registered again so tried once more with both but it won't see the other one so I suspect it is broken. It still works in the dock so I will keep it for emergencies and maybe look for another one.

Attached Thumbnails Key fob replacement-keys.jpg  

Last edited by u102768; 07-14-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For my 2007 XK Coupe, I recently purchased, at Jaguar of Albany, NY for $154, a key fob and had them program it for $50.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Ted - I bought metal blanks (emergency) off of Ebay from an Illinois supplier and had them cut at a locksmith on Pico in Santa Monica. I'll bet you can find a fob on Ebay or Amazon. You might want to contact them regarding reprogramming the fob.

Congratulations on finally picking up your new XKR. Can't wait to see some pics. Regards, Ralph

Hi Ralphwg,
How much did the locksmith charge to cut your safety key?
Happy Trails...

Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Ken - As I recall it was something around $60 for two blanks. Because the blanks are aluminum the cutter was not the standard key cutter, therefore the higher price. Total cost for two spare blanks including the blanks was around $90.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ralph,
I already got my second key fob and had it programmed last week. Paid $35 for a fully refurbished fob and $145 for the reprogram. Galpin Jaguar (near me in the Valley) quoted me $600.00.

Tomorrow morning, my car goes in for its "improvements." These include:
Mina RS side skirts and front splitter (like Ghostrider's)
Mina performance exhaust
F/X rear bumper/diffuser
Some minor paint work
Dash removal and re-upholstery (I don't think I could live with the bubbles)
New tires (thank goodness, those Hankooks on the freeway are so loud, headphones should be made mandatory with their purchase)
All four wheels (20" Kalimnos) to be refinished.
New performance brake pads and probably rotors.

The car will be in the shop about two to three weeks. After I get it back, I will probably do the tune that you had done to your car.
In a new post I will put the "before" pictures followed in a couple of weeks by the "after" ones.

I am still up in the Palisades Highlands everyday finishing a kitchen remodel that is nearly done. I will be up there in the morning with the "new" car before it heads into the shop in the afternoon. I think you're out of town, but if not, I'll meet you for a cup of coffee if you've got the time.

Let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Key fob replacement-dscf1186-1280x960-.jpg   Key fob replacement-dscf1188-1280x960-.jpg   Key fob replacement-dscf1190-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Ken - As I recall it was something around $60 for two blanks. Because the blanks are aluminum the cutter was not the standard key cutter, therefore the higher price. Total cost for two spare blanks including the blanks was around $90.
Geez! Compared what we pay for other stuff, that's cheap!
Thanks bud, for your reply.
Happy Motoring....

Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Ted - I just posted a pm to you. Ralph

Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Update! A real bargain. When I bought my 2010 XKR a few weeks ago, I only received one key fob. It made me nervous not having a backup so I called several local locksmiths who advertise that they can provide key fobs and programming. Most really could not, one said the fob would be $350.00 plus a $150.00 programming charge, and our local Jaguar Dealer quoted me $600.00 for a programmed key fob. I checked on ebay and there seemed to be a number of used key fobs supposedly ready for reprogramming ranging in price from about $100-$200 each.

I have been very busy with work for the last couple of weeks, so I didn't really follow up with doing anything. A few days ago, I searched ebay once again, and found a fully refurbished key fob, one that the vendor claimed had been deprogrammed and ready for reprogramming at a Buy It Now price of $35.00 including shipping. I purchased it immediately figuring that if it didn't work I would only be out of pocket $35.00. It came a few days ago, looked brand new (and certainly better than my peeling chrome original). I called the locksmith that had given me the $350 + $150 quote and made an appointment to bring the car and the two fobs in. Just before the appointment, I called to confirm and was told that their computer broke and they could not do it til the next day (today).

I went in this morning and he said he could do it, but admitted that this was his first Jaguar key. I was a bit nervous. What would happen if he ruined both fobs and I got stuck there?

I sat inside the shop while the locksmith worked feverishly outside. It was not a good sign when about 20 minutes in the car alarm went off and stayed on for about 10 minutes. It finally went off and he thought that my bluetooth (which had been picking up my phone calls even though I was inside) might be blocking the programming and asked me if I could turn it off. I went to get the owners manual which I had thrown in my trunk (I had been reading it last night) but it was locked and no amount of coaxing from either key fob would open it. Oh-Oh! I turned off my cellphone, instead, and walked back into their shop, peering out occasionally to see what was going on. Now, two people were working on it, and the one sitting in the car was furiously looking through several printed instruction sheets as well as his computer in addition to which he was calling someone on his cellphone for instructions. I was really nervous now....

Finally, after about a half hour, he walked in and said everything was functioning properly. I think he was more relieved than me. He charged me $145.00, so with the $35.00 I paid for the fob and programming I was all in for $180.00 or $420.00 less than the dealer wanted.

Whew!!!
Whew, indeed! You had me chewing my fingernails there. Glad it worked out.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (07-19-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Fob battery life depends on the manufacturer and when it was made. I never buy CR2032 batteries online (Amazon) since I have no way to tell when they were made and the market is swamped with fakes. I buy them from my local drug store (CVS, Walgreen's) because I have more confidence that the brand in genuine and I can see the date of manufacture. A small premium to pay for peace of mind to know that the battery will work.

You should get a low fob battery warning on the dashboard to let you know when it's time to replace the battery. Or it might say "SmartKey not found". That's why it's a good idea to keep a spare fob battery in the glove box.

Once replaced, you're good to go. No programming needed.
I kept getting the "key not found" message, kept having to plug it into the console, and then a few days later I got the "Smart key battery low" message. Thanks to this thread I knew just what to do. A quick side trip to the drug-store and I was back in business in minutes. Thanks guys!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read each of the post about divorcing the keys from the car, but no one has said exactly how to perform this step of a secret code.

I found a car in my local salvage yard with both keys in it, so I need to know how to do the divorcing step so that I can have 2 spares. I can remove the driver's door handle, truck and glove box locks without issue, so can actually use the key insert on my car.

Any help on the steps would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Quick Reply: Key fob replacement