XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Land Rover

Did Land Rover every use the 5 liter engine found in Jaguars, and did they have the same problems.
Are older Land Rover as maintenance prone as XK's ? Have a friend looking at one.
I know this is a Jag forum, but I'm sure people here can make a comparison.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts
Old 01-14-2021, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The 5.0L AJ-V8 Gen III engine is used by Jaguar and Land Rover pretty much across their entire model lines, but they're not all identical. They were NOT manufactured by Ford, although they were manufactured on a dedicated production line staffed with Jaguar employees within the Ford Bridgend Engine Plant in Bridgend, South Wales. The Jaguar "plant-within-a-plant" saved considerable investment costs by Jaguar. Ford closed that plant in 2020, and Jaguar brought that production in-house. That's why some know-it-alls erroneously say that Ford made Jaguar engines.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

It's an engine fit for a supercar.

Is it just another XKR dressed in a bespoke suit?
https://www.davidbrownautomotive.com...stone-edition/

The resemblance of the 600 HP David Brown Speedback Silverstone Edition to James Bond's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 from the movie Goldfinger is not coincidental. It's a tribute to David Brown, who bought Aston Martin and transformed it into the manufacturer of the most famous car in the world.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-history-db11/

Old 01-15-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
Did Land Rover every use the 5 liter engine found in Jaguars, and did they have the same problems.
Are older Land Rover as maintenance prone as XK's ? Have a friend looking at one.
I know this is a Jag forum, but I'm sure people here can make a comparison.
I’ve had 3 Land Rovers from the JLR era. Very nice vehicles with overly complex unreliable electrics and engine cooling systems, much like modern Jaguars, which are about as poorly made as could possibly be.

I have 2 late model ones now which’ve had every part of their cooling systems fail over the last several years in and out of warranty, from disintegrating plastic, multiple water pumps, radiator, thermostat, couplers, front, rear, top, bottom, side pipes and hoses and on and on.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Google 'jaguar aj34' and click on the Wiki link. You can see all the models that used that engine. Accessories, oil pans, valve covers, etc are usually different. You can google 'jaguar timing chain issues' to see what years to avoid on the 5.0 engine. I'm not sure if they also use the same water pump as LR but a few model year XKs had issues with that also - although CeeJay would disagree lol

As far as i know the 4.2 engine does not have any major known issues, but then again no engine should if maintained properly.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Before the JLR V8 the LR used a BMW V8. I would avoid that iteration the LR.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-16-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE LUX.

It has the 5.0 engine which in a slightly earlier iteration had timing chain issues that have caused catastrophic engine damage. NOT an isolated problem.

The range of vehicle id's that are susceptible is published and that range ends in 2013 at some point and my RR is outside that range.

I do not drive the RR a heck of a lot however the one very troublesome issue I had was the electronic parking brake module. Which apparently is relataively common.

Other than that the RR has been terrific. I love it.

If you know what you are doing it can be a relatively easy fix if not a dealer will charge an arm and a leg, maybe two legs.

mosesbotbol (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:42 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Whenever I see RR, I think of another manufacturer...
Compared with others I know, all I can tell is that I get many more miles and many more years out of my Jags and LRs then they out of their vehicles. My vehicles are rarely in the shop other than for routine maintenance. And my TCO is much less.
Couple that with the grin I can’t wipe off when I’m driving them...

These engines (and transmissions) are fantastic.
The only other vehicles I know of with such longevity are those full size lincolns used as airport limousines... interesting; Same core design on the engine...

Last edited by guy; 01-16-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
If you know what you are doing it can be a relatively easy fix if not a dealer will charge an arm and a leg, maybe two legs.
Land Rover indy shops are emerging and successful businesses in my state. Makes sense to have someone fix them for a fraction of what the dealers charge. There's one in my town that was a former Ferrari/Saab dealer in the 90's.

jackra_1 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Land Rover indy shops are emerging and successful businesses in my state. Makes sense to have someone fix them for a fraction of what the dealers charge. There's one in my town that was a former Ferrari/Saab dealer in the 90's.
Yes indeed.
I took my RR to one not far from here with an electrical problem and the owner pointed out exactly where he was going to look after my description.

Behind a removeable panel inside the right rear wheel arch where connections can rust. Mine had stretched apart but no rust.

No one on the Range Rover Forum had a clue. If it was the Jag and this Forum.........

Old 01-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There seems to be more than just a bit of chatter on the RR forums about the timing chain problems on the 2010-2012 L322's with the 5.0 motors. There are a handful of positive stories but it's mostly people bummin' after they get hit with a $10-20k bill for a wrecked motor, the positives gloat about their superior oil change strategies. I have an 06 4.2 SC and for the few months I've owned it it's been great but if I was to get another it would be an 07-09 with the same engine and drivetrain just because they got the cooling system a little better dialed in.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What shop is that? I travel that area a half dozen times a year and having more shops on the "oh no the **** has hit the fan" list is always a good thing.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

gravitylover, I don't know if your travels take you into central Jersey, but there is a Jag/RR indy in Flemington that I use and recommend.

gravitylover (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
gravitylover, I don't know if your travels take you into central Jersey, but there is a Jag/RR indy in Flemington that I use and recommend.
Thanks, I do travel through NJ a few times a year too, mostly my territory covers upstate NY and New England. That looks a lot like others that are focusing on the same Jag/LR customer. I think that if you're moving around in these 10-20 year old cars it's important to know which direction to point it in when the dashboard lights up

Bill Mack (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gravitylover
What shop is that? I travel that area a half dozen times a year and having more shops on the "oh no the **** has hit the fan" list is always a good thing.
I believe it must be this Framingham Land Rover Repair It's located in the old Gaston Andrey dealership on Rt. 9 near the Staples HQ and Sheraton "Castle". There's another place we brought our RR to in South Boston that was pretty good too.

gravitylover (01-21-2021)