XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Last chance to replace water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020 | 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Boca,
I am looking at it financially. (the way an insurance company does when they sell insurance)
If you change your pump now it will cost you $500...or possibly $1500 five years or 40,000 miles later.
Take the later- Even the govt plays that game, if you wait till 95 to collect SS they will pay you quadruple and if you wait to cash the check in Heaven, they will double it again.
A lot can happen between now and when you need a pump, such as a better pump.

Old 03-02-2020 | 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Murphy says your pump will self destruct on the day after your warranty expires so no use fretting over it now.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (03-06-2020)
Old 03-02-2020 | 11:45 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Murphy says your pump will self destruct on the day after your warranty expires so no use fretting over it now.
Shemp! Thanks for the encouragement! Although you are probably right!

Old 03-02-2020 | 04:42 PM
|
Veteran Member

UPDATE........I just happened to find one source of my coolant leak pointed out to my attention by a reliable Indy. The coolant stain is under the front manifold. Not big, but there is a brownish/redish stain . ..It is directly under part of the plumbing system that connects the front area of the engine behind the air intake and under the intake manifold, tunneled to the rear of the intake. As mentioned from an earlier thread by BLKC4t XK14 it describes: The pipe is located under the inlet manifold at the rear of the engine. It starts at the front of the engine and goes under the intake manifold and comes out the back. I can see the staining at the front. It's not easy to find. The member described it as the resin outlet pipe, but I'm not sure of it's actual description.Let's see what the dealer is able to find on their own. At least now I finally have something to point to. To be continued.

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-02-2020 at 04:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Cee Jay (03-02-2020), Sean W (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 03:23 AM

Hi bocatrip,

I meant to chime in earlier but got caught up over the weekend. Your last post #24 is where I was going to steer you as I had read about this somewhere on the forums but can't find it.
Here's one about the 4.2's: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-help-177177/

On my Lexus ISF this is called a valley plate leak and with them is caused by Toyota cheaping out in the factory with the type of sealant they use for that part of the engine construction. When I had mine fixed there was a $h17 ton of coolant that had collected in the valley of the engine before it managed to push out at the back and the only indication I had was the reservoir coolant level dropping each time I drove it. I would get this investigated as the labour is pretty big regardless of whether a Jag or Toyota.

Old 03-03-2020 | 07:41 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jon-izumi
Hi bocatrip,

I meant to chime in earlier but got caught up over the weekend. Your last post #24 is where I was going to steer you as I had read about this somewhere on the forums but can't find it.
Here's one about the 4.2's: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-help-177177/

On my Lexus ISF this is called a valley plate leak and with them is caused by Toyota cheaping out in the factory with the type of sealant they use for that part of the engine construction. When I had mine fixed there was a $h17 ton of coolant that had collected in the valley of the engine before it managed to push out at the back and the only indication I had was the reservoir coolant level dropping each time I drove it. I would get this investigated as the labour is pretty big regardless of whether a Jag or Toyota.
Thank you for chiming in. My decision now is the following: When I drop my car off at the dealership, do I point out the stain before they start any pressurizing or further work? Or do I say nothing and hope they are competent enough to notice it......which I doubt. My feelings are that the service dept does not appreciate owner's knowing more about a car's mechanics than they do, which leads me to say nothing. On the other hand, if they were trustworthy.....another doubt that I have.....they may just say it's something else, or even worse....I planted it there.....which is totally crazy because I don't even want them taking the car apart. So there lies my Conundrum...Definitely to be continued. Why do I feel this is going to be aggravation??

MarkyUK (03-06-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 11:35 AM
|
Veteran Member

I dropped my car off at the dealership and showed the shop foreman the coolant stain at the front part of the engine. He said there is probably a small hose above it. I'm fine with that. Of course they are going to pressurize the system overnight anyway to check for any other leaks. Shouldn't I NOT get charged for any diagnostic fee considering I am having a repair done for the front leak? Diagnostic fees are supposely charged when they are looking for something that either they can't find or is not fixed. Correct? I have always understood that with my extended warranty, if a repair is made, I'm only responsible for my deductable.

Old 03-03-2020 | 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Whether you are responsible for paying a diagnostic fee is determined by the terms and conditions of your "extended warranty." Because you have a 2010 XK, the 10-year time lapse from then until now makes me believe that you do not actually have a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty from Jaguar, the manufacturer, but instead have an Extended Service Contract from a third-party underwriter. Even if it was sold to you by a Jaguar dealer on its Jaguar letterhead, an ESC is not a Jaguar warranty, regardless of what any salesperson may have told you. Car salespeople use "extended warranty" and "extended service contract" interchangeably, but they're not the same. Only a manufacturer can issue a warranty.

So, what you probably have is a contract for repair services with definitions, exclusions, deductibles and terms and conditions, just like an insurance policy. Those T&Cs often enable the Administrator to deny paying claims. Every Extended Service Contract is different, so you have to read it carefully to understand what's covered and what's not. But every ESC includes the same provision, namely, that you can't rely on anything that you were told and that the written contract controls.

Bottom line: read your contract. Take notes of those provisions that apply to your situation and be prepared to dispute any denial of coverage if the contract isn't crystal clear about that denial.

Good luck!

ralphwg (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 02:34 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Whether you are responsible for paying a diagnostic fee is determined by the terms and conditions of your "extended warranty." Because you have a 2010 XK, the 10-year time lapse from then until now makes me believe that you do not actually have a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty from Jaguar, the manufacturer, but instead have an Extended Service Contract from a third-party underwriter. Even if it was sold to you by a Jaguar dealer on its Jaguar letterhead, an ESC is not a Jaguar warranty, regardless of what any salesperson may have told you. Car salespeople use "extended warranty" and "extended service contract" interchangeably, but they're not the same. Only a manufacturer can issue a warranty.

So, what you probably have is a contract for repair services with definitions, exclusions, deductibles and terms and conditions, just like an insurance policy. Those T&Cs often enable the Administrator to deny paying claims. Every Extended Service Contract is different, so you have to read it carefully to understand what's covered and what's not. But every ESC includes the same provision, namely, that you can't rely on anything that you were told and that the written contract controls.

Bottom line: read your contract. Take notes of those provisions that apply to your situation and be prepared to dispute any denial of coverage if the contract isn't crystal clear about that denial.

Good luck!
Thank you Stuart.....It was my fault for not mentioning the policy I have. It is Easy Care Total Gold. I did more than most on researching it before purchase. It is the standard 3rd party warranty offered at the time by Jaguar and Porsche. I read good reviews about it, and of course I got the most expensive policy with the $50 deductable listing all exclusions which I must have read initially 100 times! Mostly all mechanical items are covered except trim. Yes there are standard exclusions. .I have never had a claim until today. One thing I was told......If you bring the car in for any repairs.....make sure with certainty the part has failed or I'll be charged. To play it safe, I was told find something you know for sure is broken and then bring in as many other items as I please and I will only be charged one $50 deductable. Also, If it needs a diagnosis to find a problem and they find nothing wrong for the one item you brought in....then you are charged a diagnosis fee. Today, I brought my car in with a stain of which I found and they should be fixing...There fore...There should be no diagnostic fee. If there is.....I certainly will not be accepting it. I never do.

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-03-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2020 | 05:13 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I dropped my car off at the dealership and showed the shop foreman the coolant stain at the front part of the engine. He said there is probably a small hose above it. I'm fine with that. Of course they are going to pressurize the system overnight anyway to check for any other leaks. Shouldn't I NOT get charged for any diagnostic fee considering I am having a repair done for the front leak? Diagnostic fees are supposely charged when they are looking for something that either they can't find or is not fixed. Correct? I have always understood that with my extended warranty, if a repair is made, I'm only responsible for my deductable.
Too bad they can't pressurize a HOT engine...

Old 03-03-2020 | 05:35 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Too bad they can't pressurize a HOT engine...
The shop foreman told me he wanted to pressurize it when it was hot, as long as he could get the cap off safely. The car sat there for quite some time before they took it in, so it probably cooled off.

Old 03-04-2020 | 09:37 AM
|
Veteran Member

Received a call from Dealership......Water pump is leaking. Covered under warranty...

The following 5 users liked this post by bocatrip:
BlkC4t_XK14 (03-07-2020), Cee Jay (03-04-2020), pk4144 (03-04-2020), Queen and Country (03-04-2020), Sean W (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 09:45 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Excellent. That diagnosis only took a week and 33 responses.

bocatrip (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Persistence pays off!

bocatrip (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:22 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Excellent. That diagnosis only took a week and 33 responses.
Actually it took over 4 years and over 4 or 5 different attempts to find it.
Go figure!

Old 03-04-2020 | 10:28 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Actually it took over 4 years and over 4 or 5 different attempts to find it.
Go figure!
lol, maybe everyone is just tired of your persistence and they gave in. Either way, well done.

Last edited by guy; 03-04-2020 at 03:38 PM.
pwpacp (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on not giving up. You still may be crazy (medical term) but now you know this isn't the reason. Though it's possible that the problem may have tipped the scales in insanity's favor.

OK seriously, You've had this issue since I've been on the XK forum. It's great to see them resolve it.

Correction, it's great they confirmed what you suspected all these years. Now here's hoping they fix it with the latest pump and that the new pump or anything else they touch to get at it, stays in excellent condition for as long as you own the car.

Old 03-04-2020 | 02:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Congrats on not giving up. You still may be crazy (medical term) but now you know this isn't the reason. Though it's possible that the problem may have tipped the scales in insanity's favor.

OK seriously, You've had this issue since I've been on the XK forum. It's great to see them resolve it.

Correction, it's great they confirmed what you suspected all these years. Now here's hoping they fix it with the latest pump and that the new pump or anything else they touch to get at it, stays in excellent condition for as long as you own the car.
Sean W.........It's not even questionable. I am crazy!.....I'm over the top OCD and am nuts about my cars. Yes, the car always had a problem. Don't make me worse than I am! I'm aware that they have to do it right and that it hopefully will hold up......The rest is out of my control. I do have a well known Master Tech working on my car and supposedly he knows me over the years. I stop by the dealership regularly and chat with the techs and staff. . There's an Easy Care rep coming by tomorrow to give the green light. I was told they periodically come out to dealerships for sporadic checks. It's really a small job for them....I'll check in after completion.....Did you expect me to do anything different?? lol

Last edited by bocatrip; 03-04-2020 at 02:48 PM.
guy (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020 | 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

See that Bocatrip? I knew we had a bond somehow. Now I know what it is:-)

Old 03-04-2020 | 03:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
See that Bocatrip? I knew we had a bond somehow. Now I know what it is:-)
Sean.......I wouldn’t brag about it if I were you!!!! Lol

Quick Reply: Last chance to replace water pump