XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The Last Straw?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

BTW. Dont know why everyone is still salivating over the 4.3 ctek- its been updated big time in Europe and rest of the world. Its 10 amps, so 2times faster than 4.3.

Ctek MXS10
CTEK MXS10 12 Volt 10 Amp Charger

Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
BTW. Dont know why everyone is still salivating over the 4.3 ctek- its been updated big time in Europe and rest of the world. Its 10 amps, so 2times faster than 4.3.

Ctek MXS10
CTEK MXS10 12 Volt 10 Amp Charger
Queen and Country:

I don't think anyone is salivating over the CTEK MUS 4.3 smart charger. The MXS10 is more powerful, but the technology and 8 step process is the same as the CTEK MUS 4.3.

The MXS10 is for European use using 220-240V AC. Most Americans do not have standard 220-240 V AC in their homes. We have 110-120V AC.

Therefore, many who would consider the MSX10 vs the CTEK MUS4.3 would have no use for the smart charger.

The MXS10 is made for European usage and other countries that have standard 220-240V AC in their homes, "not" USA usage. It is of "no" use to the American consumer.

Hope this ends any confusion or posts about the CTEK MXS10 vs the CTEK MUS4.3

Old 05-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The 10AMP MX10 is new in Europe and elsewhere. I bet they are soon going to release the US version.

I bought a Shumaker 15amp because the 4 Amps was just not enough for me. Even the 15 Amp takes 4 hours to get from 60% to 100%. So I think the 4amp would take 8 hours. Plus I needed a gauge.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Outcome

Apparently it wasn't the last straw but it took some time and patience to arrive at a fitting destination.
After more than six weeks and three part replacements to fix the battery drain issue with my 2011 XK I am happy to report that Jag technicians are 99 percent certain they have found the bug and stomped it out.
As those on this forum probably know the computer in our vehicles needs to "go to sleep" in order for it to stop feeding off the battery. Over the course of the last six weeks technicians have claimed to have found the issue and a replacement part on two occasions and both resulted in the problem not being resolved.
More recently Jag USA called in their "Wolf" in Pulp Fiction vernacular and apparently their Number One fixer took all of one day to locate the draw issue and put an end to it. The car has gone the last seven days without losing any battery strength.
This was a very trying time for me considering the two mis-solutions and the time it took to eventually find the actual cause and the proper repair.
For my time I was offered compensation equal to four monthly payments. The car was also fitted with new brakes on all four wheels even though they probably didn't require any. The techs also updated my outdated Navigation DVD.
There were times during this odyssey that I had totally lost faith but during those times I was actually looking at a more recent (2013) model as a replacement as opposed to any other vehicles on the road.
While I respect many of those on this forum that believe a battery tender is an absolute must I am relieved that that wasn't Jaguar's answer to my issue and that there was indeed a specific fault draining my cars battery.
I shall pick up the car tomorrow and can't wait to drive it again. After near 7 weeks of Land Rovers, albeit new ones, I need to get closer to mother earth in the seat and hear that sweet exhaust once again.

The following 3 users liked this post by JaysXK:
jahummer (06-07-2016), ralphwg (06-07-2016), tberg (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Thanks for this update, but please tell us exactly where the problem of not "going to sleep" originated. which module or part was faulty? What exactly did they replace?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM

I plan on getting the complete explanation when I pick up the car and will report back with the details.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by JaysXK
I plan on getting the complete explanation when I pick up the car and will report back with the details.
If i have a problem and the dealer needs to replace parts I request that I see the parts along with the explanation . I realize they can show me anything but you need to test them. If they say they need it for the warranty , no problem but show me the part and convince me the problem is fixed.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

While I respect many of those on this forum that believe a battery tender is an absolute must I am relieved that that wasn't Jaguar's answer to my issue and that there was indeed a specific fault draining my cars battery.
Well done for persevering and not ending up being a slave to the CTEK when it sounds like there was a genuine fault. You should always follow a rational investigative process first when you get sudden failures like this (usual disclaimers about occasional drivers apply of course).

There was an issue with the 2010-2011 models (VIN Range: B32753-B4270) having to do with the MOST bus occasionally not going to sleep and causing a 1.6amp drain whilst the car was switched off and the fix was to update the firmware on the Infotainment control module so. You would have hoped that would have been done already given the history of the car but it will be interesting to see if that was the cause or something else.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Its not a drain issues folks!! I know its hard to get your arms around this, but it will save you aggravation.

Its a battery charge profile issue.

So it was a battery drain issue after all. Adios CTEK.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 06-08-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Default Details

I finally picked up the car today and received a detailed explanation for the fix. First I would like to say that there are likely to be 2 different issues here. The service manager told me that in the end a replacement of the Central Junction Box finally convinced the computer to go to sleep and resolved the matter.
However, at the same time he mentioned that Jaguar did an entire reprogram of the car putting it back to day one. What I find interesting about that is that in a sense it may have been a programming glitch that caused the problem to develop as opposed to circuits within the system failing on their own.
Service manager said there are two levels of draw from the Central Junction box one high (more demand) and a medium. He suggested that the medium was causing the additional battery draw before the unit was replaced and reprogrammed.
Service manager gave me a new battery simply because he wanted to be certain that if anything failed in the near term he could point to the system and not the battery to resolve the issue. I hope that day doesn't come.
Initially a Fusebox was replaced as well as a Battery Cable as attempts to resolve the issue.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation. It is good to see that your dealer has responded intelligently and responsibly.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

So does this mean that everybody "depending" on CTEK should have a replacement of the Central Junction and a reprogram back to day one?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

I finally picked up the car today and received a detailed explanation for the fix. First I would like to say that there are likely to be 2 different issues here. The service manager told me that in the end a replacement of the Central Junction Box finally convinced the computer to go to sleep and resolved the matter.
However, at the same time he mentioned that Jaguar did an entire reprogram of the car putting it back to day one. What I find interesting about that is that in a sense it may have been a programming glitch that caused the problem to develop as opposed to circuits within the system failing on their own.
Service manager said there are two levels of draw from the Central Junction box one high (more demand) and a medium. He suggested that the medium was causing the additional battery draw before the unit was replaced and reprogrammed.
Service manager gave me a new battery simply because he wanted to be certain that if anything failed in the near term he could point to the system and not the battery to resolve the issue. I hope that day doesn't come.
Initially a Fusebox was replaced as well as a Battery Cable as attempts to resolve the issue.
I wish you luck as I am not convinced with the explanation. You mentioned he suggested that this was the problem yet he didn't provide you with any positive proof of a failure. Was a component bad or a cracked circuit board. How did they determine the problem. As for reprogramming it seems this is a standard procedure when they can't find something or the battery had been dead for a while. Lets see how the new battery works out . It might be of interest to you to get a volt gauge and keep an eye on the voltage. Lets see what happens.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Jagtoes,

They had the car for 7 weeks. With all due respect to your negative opinion I would have a hard time analyzing the data or know factually what any individual new part looked like.

The car was monitored and maintained full charge. The explanation of the process and testing is plausible to me.

Should the issue recur I have an extensive file with dealer and Jaguar USA. As a consumer that gives me the confidence to remain a Jag owner.

You seem to need to be right. More power to you.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Jagtoes,

They had the car for 7 weeks. With all due respect to your negative opinion I would have a hard time analyzing the data or know factually what any individual new part looked like.

The car was monitored and maintained full charge. The explanation of the process and testing is plausible to me.

Should the issue recur I have an extensive file with dealer and Jaguar USA. As a consumer that gives me the confidence to remain a Jag owner.

You seem to need to be right. More power to you.
The objective of interrogating the dealer service manager is to keep them on their toes. Whether we understand what they said or what they show us is immaterial. It goes to "trust but verify" . Just by the mere fact that they had the car for 7 weeks speaks to credibility . I don't need to be right it's the service manager that needs to. There is a degree of BS that that comes from dealers and mechanics. If you have built a relationship with them you start getting real answers. Until then I don't trust them. As I said I hope all is well and you don't see a problem come up. I was trying to defend your interests.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Jagtoes,

I had at least 14 conversations with Jaguar USA prior to completion. I negotiated a hefty compensation package from them. Jag techs admitted willingly during this period that they had attempted to fix issue with new parts and FAILED to do so.
I understand all the BS issues and agree not to let them off lightly.
Finally I put Jaguar USA and Service manager on notice should issue arise again I won't be as patient or nice.
I believe they were fair with me and recognized their responsibility in the end.
Could this happen again?
There is always the chance but as I said I covered as many bases as a novice could.

jagtoes (06-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
So does this mean that everybody "depending" on CTEK should have a replacement of the Central Junction and a reprogram back to day one?
No Michael, it does not. The problem with this car was quite different from the minor, random symptoms experienced by other owners - owners whose pattern of use - infrequent use, short trips, old battery - was the cause of low battery voltage. In every single case the very simple use of a good battery maintainer (the CTEK being the most favoured) solved the problems. You reject utterly this solution. Fine. As long as you use your car almost daily and/or use it for runs long enough to keep the battery near full charge, you will have no issues.
Most of these cars, however, are not in daily use and therefore are susceptible to the issue of battery voltage dropping below the threshhold necessary to keep all electronic systems working properly - and that is the reason that Jaguar and other manufacturers market this charger, and it is the reason why the later XK and every newer Jaguar has a warning message appear when the voltage drops.

richzak (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Jahummer,

I understand why Jaguar XK owners use a battery tender. My difficulty adapting to that daily procedure is a fundamental belief that the manufacturer should identify the problems and correct them.
In essence all of the Jaguar loyalists (I am not among them as yet) feel that it is worth giving up something for the privilege of owning such an exceptional vehicle. I for one can't understand why "All" of these cars must drain the battery. Shouldn't Jaguar fit the vehicle with an appropriate battery to handle its needs?
As Jagtoes said they "should" be able to detect the drainage problem but going on five weeks now of investigating they are still unable to fix the issue.
My question is since the car is under its original "warranty" what does that word actually mean to the consumer if they can't repair their own car?
What the warranty means when they cant fix it is they have to take the car back and refund your money. Its covered under the Magnuson Moss warranty act. I returned my 2000 xkr under that act for a full refund when they couldn't fix the transmission from getting stuck in first gear.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
No. The CTEK serves a great purpose and I am sure that the replacement of the Central Junction box is a rare finding. After 3 years here on the Jaguar Forum, this is the 1st time I have heard or read of any Jaguar owner having to replace the Central Junction Box and have the vehicle programmed from a day one reset.

People here on the forum can criticize the use of the CTEK smart charger all they want. Personally, I would not be without one connected to any of my cars. The cost of the CTEK MUS 4.3 or any other model CTEK sells provides peace of mind. It is proven to extend battery life and provide a fully charged battery/power system unless other mechanical issues arise.

Sounds like the jury is still out on the OP's power problem and time will tell whether or not the replacement of the Central Junction Box, replacement of the battery and the reset of the computer system does the trick.

We are driving Jaguar's that cost in excess of $80,000 to $110,000 when new, so why not spend under $100 to keep the battery fully charged.

The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
jahummer (06-11-2016), ralphwg (06-11-2016), sharx8 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an AGM- no way could I use an AGM if my car was not made for it. They have different charge profiles. AGM charges different than regular SLA batteries.

Make a big fuss at the dealer- (if you know where it was) their carelessness could have caused a fire or damaged your charging system.
I had my battery replaced last year by the dealer. How can I tell if he put in the right battery? What does the AGM look like?