Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Name of the shop near Naples please.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tapau
Name of the shop near Naples please.
Ted & Son's Custom Upholstery in Naples. The phone # is 239-649-6344. Ask for Mark or Jenna.

Ken

Old 10-31-2020, 07:17 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

ARENAEJ - How did the dash turn out? Do you have photos you can share? I am considering calling The Trim Shop to work on my XKR. Do you recommend them? Thanks greatly for the post.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:03 AM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

It’s been over a year since I had my dash repaired and I’m very pleased with the result. I can’t find any pictures of it...sorry. I do recommend The Trim Shop in Newark, DE. Dan is the owner, very talented and easy to work with. He was able to remove the vents without breaking them...

The following users liked this post:
jpk112 (12-16-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 305 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
ARENAEJ - How did the dash turn out? Do you have photos you can share? I am considering calling The Trim Shop to work on my XKR. Do you recommend them? Thanks greatly for the post.
Here’s how it looks today...

The following 2 users liked this post by arenaej:
Cambo (10-31-2020), jpk112 (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:46 AM

Hi Ken,

Just called Jenna, thinking about getting it done next week. Did you have your dashboard done by them? If you did, how did it come out? Got any pictures?

Thanks, Rosa

Old 12-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Ken,

Just called Jenna, thinking about getting it done next week. Did you have your dashboard done by them? If you did, how did it come out? Got any pictures?

Thanks, Rosa
Yes, I did have my dashboard done by them. My dashboard was not horrible as I caught it early. Attached are 4 pics, 2 before & 2 after. Hope this helps.

Ken

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the pictures, here's a picture of mine.

Mine's not too bad either, it's just a bubble and around the half moon. But the bubble it's in an awkward spot. I was hoping that someone could just use a needle, inject some glue, and smooth it out. Every interior shop I contacted said they couldn't do that.

So I'm thinking more of the dash will lift in the near future, might as well get it done before the leather gets un-shaped.

I've made an appt for Dec 30th. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:32 PM

OMG ... I FIXED MY DASHBOARD !!!!!! ..... For now at least.

Saw a video where a guy had used a head gun on his BMW dash to push out some air bubble. He poked some small pin holes in the bubble to let the air escape. Since mine was near a seam, I figured I didn't need to poke any holes.
I took a heat gun on low, left it on there a few seconds (probably 10-15) and then just pressed down on the area with a microfiber cloth until it cooled down. I did a section at a time since I had the bubble and then all the way around the 1/2 moon was lifted.
I'm thinking the heat re-activated the glue ???

Don't know how long it will last, but at least I'm happy for today.. Here are the before and after pictures.

The following 8 users liked this post by tapau:
Cee Jay (12-28-2020), kj07xk (12-28-2020), Savitt1 (01-27-2021), Sean W (12-27-2020), Stuart S (12-28-2020), tberg (12-29-2020), u102768 (12-27-2020), V7Sport (12-27-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-2020, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Nicely done!

What's with your AC vents? They don't look like any I've ever seen on an X150. Your Public Profile doesn't list any cars at all, and your previous posts are about your 2014 XF and Tesla. Please list your cars in your Public Profile or in a signature block so we don't have to ask again. I suspect that's a photo of your 2014 XF.

Even if you don't have an XK, you're welcome to post in this Forum. Your clever and easy DIY repair isn't vehicle-specific, and applies to all leather dashboards. Knowing the year, make, and model is helpful for giving specific advice.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:18 AM

Yes, it is a 2014 XF. Sorry to jump on this thread, it was the best one I could find on the dashboard problem.

The following 4 users liked this post by tapau:
Cee Jay (12-29-2020), d a (12-29-2020), Savitt1 (01-27-2021), Stuart S (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Yes, it is a 2014 XF. Sorry to jump on this thread, it was the best one I could find on the dashboard problem.
Hey, if it helps someone, anywhere, it's a good post.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
d a (12-29-2020), Savitt1 (01-27-2021), Sean W (12-29-2020), Stuart S (12-29-2020)
Old 01-26-2021, 06:34 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thanks for sharing

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing but I’m curious and knowing how it’s holding up after a few days ?
ask because I’ve noticed the door leather lifting on my 08xk and wonder if this will work?
Thanks again
dag

OMG ... I FIXED MY DASHBOARD !!!!!! ..... For now at least.

Saw a video where a guy had used a head gun on his BMW dash to push out some air bubble. He poked some small pin holes in the bubble to let the air escape. Since mine was near a seam, I figured I didn't need to poke any holes.
I took a heat gun on low, left it on there a few seconds (probably 10-15) and then just pressed down on the area with a microfiber cloth until it cooled down. I did a section at a time since I had the bubble and then all the way around the 1/2 moon was lifted.
I'm thinking the heat re-activated the glue ???

Don't know how long it will last, but at least I'm happy for today.. Here are the before and after pictures.

Last edited by dag82; 01-26-2021 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-27-2021, 05:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Class action?

Originally Posted by philbone
I would encourage all who have posted here to Tweet links, photos and complaints to @JaguarUSA

I have done so, and spoken with them several times and they refuse to even acknowledge the existence of this design fault. While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I am only able to do so much as an individual; we need to unite and pool our efforts.

I would like to see them accept this as a design problem, and issue a bulletin or a recall.

Phil
trying to unite and get crap addresses, I’ve been pondering this ... why isn’t this a class action lawsuit against jaguar? I’m no attorney but seems like a real issue. Also not aware of the class action criteria if any but is this viable thinking? Please no bashing my nativity.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update. Anything NA could use

Originally Posted by Ozmag
Just got a call from Jaguar Australia Customer Service, they have assigned a case worker so interesting to see what happens!
update on what occurred and any help in NA? Wishing for the best

Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dag82
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing but I’m curious and knowing how it’s holding up after a few days ?
ask because I’ve noticed the door leather lifting on my 08xk and wonder if this will work?
Thanks again
dag
Hi, the leather is flat. but it's not stuck down permanently. I live in Florida and have been using my windshield sun shade regularly at home. I do notice that if I go out somewhere, leave it in the sun, when I come back to the car the leather is really hot and stuck down. In the mornings at home it's flat, but not stuck. One day my husband forgot to use the windshield shade and the bubble started to come back. I didn't reheat, but "massaged" the bubble down and it went back down. I also noticed that depending on which way I move the leather it stays flat. I guess you have to figure out which way the original leather shrunk. So if I massage my bubble towards the seam it tends to want to lift and if I massage the bubble toward the front of the dash it stays down better. Regardless, at least I can get it down and no one can tell except me that it's not stuck down.

Also, I bought a dashboard cover from Ebay. Yes, I know its a horrendous piece of carpet, but I figure if I keep it on while the car is at home the weight of the carpet will help keep the bubble down. I can just roll it up when I go out. So for now, it's the carpet dashboard cover and the windshield shade. I swear this car is worse than taking car of a child

On a related subject, I complained to Jaguar/Land Rover and they agreed to pay 40% of the dealership dashboard replacement cost. However, the dealership wants $4000. Not sure if I will do it since I may only keep the car another year or two and I've recently spent $3500 for brakes and the rear suspension bushings (not at the dealership).

Anyway, just make sure to go light on the heat gun, you don't want to burn the leather, maybe try a blow dryer first. Good luck.

Last edited by tapau; 01-27-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 AM

Hi Savitt1, I complained to Jaguar/Land Rover about my dash and they agreed to pay 40% of the dealership replacement. The dealer wants $4K. Not sure if I'll get it done. When I bought the car I purchased an interior/leather protection warranty for it. It was a 3rd party, through the dealership, and said they would not cover since the leather wasn't "damaged." This may have helped me with Jaguar/Land Rover's decision, but who knows.

Savitt1 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:21 PM

hahaha
so true, yes these jags can require quite a bit of attention if you want to keep them perfect but they’re incredible cars so it’s worth it IMO...
curious if this happens to all XKs?
my 08 (camel color interior) is showing the issue on passenger side door leather but the rest including dash is perfectly fine, my 2013 XKR with black/red leather it’s perfectly intact throughout which is odd because I figured with black leather it would draw more heat & detach much quicker 🤷‍♂️Recently read a thread from another member who had Door leather issues here on Jagforums, he was able to wedge in a type of plastic pipe line and spray adhesive inside through this pipe line. Some speculate the same process could be utilized on the dash. Hopefully I can find the thread and I’ll forward it to you through PM. I’ll keep you posted on what I’m able to track down but thanks again for replying back.

Hi, the leather is flat. but it's not stuck down permanently. I live in Florida and have been using my windshield sun shade regularly at home. I do notice that if I go out to, leave it in the sun, when I come back to the car the leather is really hot and stuck down. In the mornings at home it's flat, but not stuck. One day my husband forgot to use the windshield shade and the bubble started to come back. I didn't reheat, but "massaged" the bubble down and it went back down. I also noticed that depending on which way I move the leather it stays flat. I guess you have to figure out which way the original leather shrunk. So if I massage my bubble towards the seam it tends to want to lift and if I massage the bubble toward the front of the dash it stays down better. Regardless, at least I can get it down and no one can tell except me that it's not stuck down.

Also, I bought a dashboard cover from Ebay. Yes, I know its a horrendous piece of carpet, but I figure if I keep it on while the car is at home the weight of the carpet will help keep the bubble down. I can just roll it up when I go out. So for now, it's the carpet dashboard cover and the windshield cover. I swear this car is worse than taking car of a child

On a related subject, I complained to Jaguar/Land Rover and they agreed to pay 40% of the dealership dashboard replacement cost. However, the dealership wants $4000. Not sure if I will do it since I may only keep the car another year or two and I've recently spent $3500 for brakes and the rear suspension bushings (not at the dealership).

Anyway, just make sure to go light on the heat gun, you don't want to burn the leather, maybe try a blow dryer first. Good luck.

Last edited by dag82; 01-27-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:25 PM

found it! If you scroll down you’ll see they posted a video with Full instructions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...el-fix-193206/

Hi, the leather is flat. but it's not stuck down permanently. I live in Florida and have been using my windshield sun shade regularly at home. I do notice that if I go out to, leave it in the sun, when I come back to the car the leather is really hot and stuck down. In the mornings at home it's flat, but not stuck. One day my husband forgot to use the windshield shade and the bubble started to come back. I didn't reheat, but "massaged" the bubble down and it went back down. I also noticed that depending on which way I move the leather it stays flat. I guess you have to figure out which way the original leather shrunk. So if I massage my bubble towards the seam it tends to want to lift and if I massage the bubble toward the front of the dash it stays down better. Regardless, at least I can get it down and no one can tell except me that it's not stuck down.

Also, I bought a dashboard cover from Ebay. Yes, I know its a horrendous piece of carpet, but I figure if I keep it on while the car is at home the weight of the carpet will help keep the bubble down. I can just roll it up when I go out. So for now, it's the carpet dashboard cover and the windshield cover. I swear this car is worse than taking car of a child

tapau (01-27-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool even with staples - Jag leather dash pulling

Very interesting to find the information on this thread and others. My Jag is XF, Portfolio, very well kept, strong ride. I realize this is the XK forum, but at this point I think the information I have will be of interest, and perhaps promote another round of useful information.

First, purchased the car from a dealer in North Miami in 8/2018. I'm the second owner, and it included CPO. At time of purchase there was a small oval bubble perhaps 1" wide and 2" long on the dashboard on the passenger side. Didn't think much of it, and it never grew until recently! Last week noticed that there is about 1/4" gap along the front edge (windshield) of the gray leather and the dashboard substrate - and a large amount of slack in the leather.

Second, looking at CPO paperwork it expires 6/27/2021. However, contacting the local dealer they said the computer states the CPO expired in June 2020, and I should contact original dealer to 'fix'. It was strange to me that the obvious error (6/2015 plus 4 year warr plus 2 year CPO...) required original dealer to fix, so I contacted JNA to ask them. They advised it can only be the original dealer. They advised that as independent dealers, JNA can not change the data and has no authority to force them to do anything. Even in today's world, I was surprised. What good is a CPO if the manufacturer doesn't have some skin in the game? And, worse, now that I am 10,000 miles and an ocean away from that (Miami) dealer, what leverage will I have? I've called the dealer three times and have been told the right person will call back.

Third, solidly in the DIY category (just replaced all four rotors and pads) I've been educating myself in the last few days for options. Price for a new Jag dashboard in Honolulu? $5,200! Just the part. Dealer said he will contact me to estimate the install cost. I've seen videos on removing the dash and think I could handle that. But I like the idea of removing windshield and having pro upholstery stretch, glue, attach.

Fourth, I didn't see mention of this in the many posts: my dashboard had staples along the front (windshield) edge! I can clearly see them in the part of the leather that has pulled away. So, it is not sufficient to use staples. And don't get too optimistic if a dashboard purchased from Jaguar has staples. Mine is a 2015 with 49,000 miles, WITH STAPLES, and it is pulling very well, thank you.

Will love to hear any helpful information. On one hand, I think its crazy that Jaguar is giving me the line about CPO and original dealer. People MOVE. The CPO has no value if one always has to return to the original dealer for covered service.... However, I see that I can't be optimsitic with the "have someone else pay for it" plan, so I'm looking at your posts carefully.

Mahalo,
Shawn

Quick Reply: Leather on dash 'pulling'