XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Leather on dash 'pulling'

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I am going to experiment with a syringe with a tiny needle and some type of superglue and see if squirting some glue into the bubble will help. At the leather's edge, however, I'll have to try a different approach.
Great idea and I bet it will work, using a pliable type adhesive, perhaps a silicone of some sort. Of course, the syringe may acquire a slightly larger needle point for a thicker adhesive like silicone to pass thru.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
... I am going to experiment with a syringe with a tiny needle and some type of superglue and see if squirting some glue into the bubble will help. At the leather's edge, however, I'll have to try a different approach.

Yes, with the proper adhesive this should at least should slow the problem down and make it manageable. Be sure to let us all know what you use as an adhesive and how you make out applying it.

Last edited by DGL; 06-29-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

End of next week, I'll report back as I won't be able to get to it before Thursday or Friday.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Great idea and I bet it will work, using a pliable type adhesive, perhaps a silicone of some sort. Of course, the syringe may acquire a slightly larger needle point for a thicker adhesive like silicone to pass thru.

Seems to me that whatever you might accomplish in this one spot will not fix what ultimately will be a much larger problem. If the adhesive is the culprit, you are just spinning your wheels as the entire dash in different places will be affected. Sorry, but that's what I predict is happening. This really isn't a fix, but an attempt at a temporary repair. It's like an old roof, once the nails start popping up, it's just a matter of time until the entire roof (in this case the dash leather covering) will fail.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,491 Posts

That certainly is a possibility but not definitively. Perhaps the adhesive does not fail the same way on every dash and stopping it at the first appearance will help it from spreading. Then again maybe it won't work. Too many variables. Take mine for example older than some newer than others, well cared for and protected yet today I found a small spot detaching. Regardless Jaguar should have thought this through more considered the various climates these cars would be sold in and how hot dashes get and had them manufactured accordingly.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

bocatrip,
Ultimately, you're right. But, if injecting a bit of glue postpones the separation for a year or two, then, at least, everytime you get into the car you don't have to be confronted with it. I'm not convinced it's going to work very well because typically you need to glue two clean surfaces together, and obviously I can't get under the leather to scrape away the old adhesive from both the underside of the leather as well as from the top of the dash board. There is a very fine layer of foam between the leather and the board, itself, and trying to get the leather to stick to the foam again will not be an easy task. The failure of the adhesive at the top edge of the leather near the windshield will be a different solution as there won't be enough leather to stretch back around the edge of the board.

I'd really like to get an idea of how many owners are experiencing problems with their dashes.

Please let me know if you have issues.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

That's not going to be as easy as it sounds. Superglue is way too thin to be effective on leather and even if you use the gel, it will be stiff when it dries. Leather is just too porous - it'll absorb anything that's thin like superglue.

The best leather glue I've been able to find is Eko-FLo Leather Cement (from trying to fix trashed motorcycle leathers) It does work well when it comes to afixing leather to leahter but I'm guessing the substrate on the dash is some form of foam. Another problem will be the syringe - they don't work well with thick glue so you'll need a large gauge needle which will leave a pretty large hole.

It's worth a try if you can come up with a solution - the dash won't be cheap to replace. I'd at least try to find an experienced upholsterer and pick his/her brain before proceeding.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

The other issue is how to smooth it out without the end result being lumpy or drying funny. I have seen 2 that had the leather replaced professionally for around $1200 labor not included and for the most part they look identical to the original EXCEPT both had one major flaw: in the 2 places where 3 pieces meet just above the glove compartment the seams had substantial lumps in them I assume due to the amount of leather underneath the seams. A new dash is only $2400 give or take depending on what color you need. I'd stick with the genuine product unless someone comes up with a solution.

In the mean time, I would like to see what Jaguar decides to do if enough people press the issue with them.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like a new dash is the only way to go if you are a perfectionist like I am (I wish I wasn't one as it would make life a lot easier and cheaper). Any repair is not going to look good from what I have seen and heard even if a professional does it which could cost $1000 that could go to a new dash. If I was one that changed cars every 2 or 3 years I would not invest the money in a new dash, but since I like to keep them at least 7 years and maybe longer looking over the dashboard every-time I got in the car and seeing the pulling and puckering of the leather would drive me crazy. So far mine has not shown any signs of that, and I am 4 years into the ownership.

It's ironic that one of the interior features I really wanted when I got the new XK in 2010 was the leather covered dashboard.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

The original postings on this problem presented it as "leather shrinkage". Many subsequent comments, mine included, were based on the premise that shrinkage of the leather was the issue, promoted by sun and heat. Others insisted that the problem was one of adhesive failure.
The photos recently posted have shown that adhesive failure is indeed a major factor here - but, and it is a big BUT, sun and heat are STILL the underlying problem. Why do I say this? first because the vast majority of cases presented (but perhaps not all) are of cars used in high heat, intense sun areas. Leather in cars under these conditions must be regularly maintained using a quality conditioner to prevent the leather from shrinking. Let's move on a bit:
Cars used in these conditions also suffer from another common problem: deterioration and detachment of the headliners through degradation of the foam backing and *failure of the adhesive*. I suspect that the same process happens with the XK leather dashes, and it is a compound process: the heat and sun not only damage the leather directly, they probably also affect the adhesive which bonds the leather to the substrate - once the adhesive breaks down the leather is free to shrink even more. So while some of us (myself in particular) did not appreciate the factor of adhesive failure (never having seen it), the recommendations about keeping the leather out of the sun and heat as much as possible, and of conditioning the leather, still stand. The fact is that XK cars not living in temperate climates don't seem to have this problem, or at least, not in a significant degree. I have seen many, many XKs, and not a single one with a dash leather problem - but I live in a temperate climate.
Regardless of the cause, this is a real problem and I hope a solution can be found - simply replacing the dash will not be a permanent fix - why? because unless a heat proof adhesive is used, and unless a way has been found to make leather impervious to sun and heat, the problem will re-occur in cars used under these conditions, and especially those whose owner do not regularly apply conditioner. I doubt that stapling the edges will be found to eliminate the problem - the leather will still dry out and shrink and unless the adhesive is entirely heat-proof, the bubbling will still occur. Oh dear...ending on a negative note...well, bubbles or not, these are still the most beautiful cars on the road!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this point I'm at a crossroad. I did plan on keeping this car for a while, but at this point I'm not sure I want to sink $4000. on a new dash. And I do feel that most of you are correct, trying to fasten/staple or reglue would only be a temporary fix. The only solution for me would be to have Jaguar replace the dash. It's funny how when I first brought this up to the dealership, they were not surprised that this had happened. So apparently this is a very common problem, especially for the earlier models. I'm wondering If this was a problem that Jaguar knew about... Have they done anything different with the newer dash? If I replace it ..could this happen again?

I am very curious to see how many have been effected by this. It seems like there are also plenty of people that were able to change while still under warranty. It would be great if we could get a panel together to take this up with jaguar. At the very least I'd like to see if they have done anything different with the new dashes before I make the decision to take the plunge. Though I doubt that Jaguar would be willing to replace. But having knowledge of this design flaw,wouldn't be nice for them to at least offer us owners some kind of comp or discount on a dash replacement.... oh well wishful thinking!! LOL

I do have to say... This is a great forum!!! Thanks!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cancre
At this point I'm at a crossroad. I did plan on keeping this car for a while, but at this point I'm not sure I want to sink $4000. on a new dash. And I do feel that most of you are correct, trying to fasten/staple or reglue would only be a temporary fix. The only solution for me would be to have Jaguar replace the dash. It's funny how when I first brought this up to the dealership, they were not surprised that this had happened. So apparently this is a very common problem, especially for the earlier models. I'm wondering If this was a problem that Jaguar knew about... Have they done anything different with the newer dash? If I replace it ..could this happen again?

I am very curious to see how many have been effected by this. It seems like there are also plenty of people that were able to change while still under warranty. It would be great if we could get a panel together to take this up with jaguar. At the very least I'd like to see if they have done anything different with the new dashes before I make the decision to take the plunge. Though I doubt that Jaguar would be willing to replace. But having knowledge of this design flaw,wouldn't be nice for them to at least offer us owners some kind of comp or discount on a dash replacement.... oh well wishful thinking!! LOL

I do have to say... This is a great forum!!! Thanks!!!
Jaguar knew about this issue long ago - no doubt about it. I had mine replaced about 30 days before the warranty expired and they didn't bat an eyelash.

From what I understand, the new dashes are stapled instead of glued. I live in a pretty hot area but I rarely park my car in the sun (stays in the garage both at home and at work) so I haven't had any issues since it was replaced.

I would certainly try to get it replaced even though the warranty has expired because Jaguar is fully aware of the issue. I have no idea if you'll have any success but, it can't hurt to ask. It sucks because it really does take away from the overall beauty and enjoyment of the car imho.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Default Update

I tried pressing on the bubble and discovered it could stick and pop up, I can even hear it sticking. I tried an experiment. It was time to condition the dash so I massaged conditioner (not a fan of lexol, too greasy for my taste) and warmed the bubble with a hair dryer and contined to massaged the bubble. It has been a couple of days and so far the bubble has not reappeared.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I just talked with a customer today on issues on his car by cell(yeah I give many of my customers my cell) and he told me he had his dash reglued by a trim shop in Houston for $600. It looked really good and had he not told me the guy added a 1/2" leather trim to front edge to account for shrinkage I would not have noticed it. It looked really good and thats a cheap fix.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
DGL (07-02-2014), Savitt1 (01-27-2021), tberg (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I just talked with a customer today on issues on his car by cell(yeah I give many of my customers my cell) and he told me he had his dash reglued by a trim shop in Houston for $600. It looked really good and had he not told me the guy added a 1/2" leather trim to front edge to account for shrinkage I would not have noticed it. It looked really good and thats a cheap fix.

$600 is a deal! If members on this forum could get a quality job for $600 they would be lining up at the shop.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$600..... I'd be the first one at door! lol I would love to know the step by step instructions on how it could be fixed. Or if anyone else has had this done at a trim shop here in the Northeast. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of removing the dash and having it sent out of state. :-(

Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by cancre
$600..... I'd be the first one at door! lol I would love to know the step by step instructions on how it could be fixed. Or if anyone else has had this done at a trim shop here in the Northeast. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of removing the dash and having it sent out of state. :-(
I suspect that an effective, lasting repair involves sewing on an extension as mentioned, and probably replacing the foam lining behind the leather. Add to that the correct adhesive choice the the skill of an experienced upholsterer.

$600 is an excellent price.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal

Do you think you could get some pictures and detail the process for people with dash problems? I sure many members with dash problems would be very grateful. Was the dash removed? Was the windshield removed? For $600 I can't see someone doing either of the above in the repair.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

So, originally I had planned on doing some experimenting with a syringe and glue as well as pulling the windshield and trying to repair from front edge. This was related to the fact that it appeared that I had three localized trouble areas. Over the past week as I would feel the dash on each side of the center speaker it was apparent that the trouble was more widespread and that little of the leather was, in fact, tacked down. Trying to glue down most of the dash would be impossible.

I decided to try Just Dashes which is a company that specializes in rebuilding and upholstering dashes and door panels to factory o.e.m. standards. They are a very reputable company that does work for customers all over the world. I live about 5 minutes away from them, and I stopped to see them this afternoon. Unfortunately, they will not do upholstered (leather) dashes, only molded vinyl ones. I wasn't very happy.

I called an auto upholsterer that I met at the Queen's English Car Show who had told me that he works on all types of Jaguars, new and antique, and does total interior restorations, but he also told me that he doesn't do leather dashboards.

I was getting getting more upset by the moment because there was no way that I would spend $4800 at the dealer for a new dash, which meant that I'd have to look at it every day forever. I'd rather sell the car.

Finally, late this afternoon, I went back to the locksmith that programmed my new key fob (needed new battery in my original fob), and I noticed an auto upholsterer across the street. I went over after I was done and while waiting for the owner to return, an employee showed me some of the work that they did including an antique Mercedes complete interior restoration and 2 other Mercedes from the '60's and the '80's. The work was exceptional.

The owner returned, looked at the dash, said he could re-do with exact matching new leather, constrast stitching, etc. Since my car is going into the shop for the next two to three weeks for the Mina RS skirts and front splitter, the FX rear bumper diffuser, some paint work, new tires, and wheel refinishing, I called my body shop guy and asked him if he could remove the dash for me so that I could take it to the auto upholsterer so that he could work on it at the same time. Tomorrow the dash will be removed and taken back to the upholsterer, and he said he will finish in one week.

But here's the "kicker!" He will do it for $1300 and guarantee the work!

I may end up liking this car after all when all of its flaws are fixed.

Attached Thumbnails Leather on dash 'pulling'-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default Latest Update

This morning I took my 2010 XKR in for its cosmetic and performance upgrades where it will be in the shop for the next couple of weeks. I asked my mechanic/body shop to take the dash out for me as I found a custom auto upholstery shop that will re-upholster the dash with matching leather, stitching, etc. while the car is in the shop. The dash came out in a couple of hours, and I went to pick it up this afternoon.

Once out, it was interesting to see two different issues with the dash leather. First, the whole passenger side of the dash including the airbag cover was essentially unglued completely from the dash shell. On the driver's side between the instrument binnacle and the center speaker where I had a series of ripples, these were caused not by disconnection from the shell, but apparently from a failure of the adhesive to the bonded foam layer backing that is attached to the back side of the leather. Two very different issues.

Since I have been in the custom interior design and textile business for over 40 years, I decided to take the dash to my regular upholsterer of 20 years first, before going to have the whole dash redone. I wanted his opinion as to whether he could stretch, staple, and re-glue the existing leather before I spend $1300 for a newly upholstered one. After showing it to him, he believes he might be able to do so. I figure it's worth a shot since the existing cover will be pulled anyway if it doesn't work. If it works, it will be about a $50 repair instead.

Tomorrow, he'll start and should be done by Wednesday (a day of drying). If not, it will go to the auto upholstery shop on Thursday for a new dash.

Will update Wednesday with pictures if it worked.

Attached Thumbnails Leather on dash 'pulling'-dscf1186-1280x960-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
jahummer (07-21-2014), v8cat (07-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Leather on dash 'pulling'