XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

LED Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
To add to the knowledge base, the XK uses the light fitting shown above that has the H11 bulb. The XKR uses the light fitting like mine. They are not interchangeable.

So has anyone with a pre-2010 XKR successfully used an LED H11 in their fog lights please? (Post 2010 models have air scoops where my fog lights are).

If so, then my car has a type of fog light fitting which it seems cannot be upgraded. The owner handbook has no mention of bulb type or bulb changing for the front fog lights, which feeds my suspicion that they are sealed units.

On this thread, MurrayG has an XK, which IS upgradeable and TexasTraveler has a later XKR which doesn't have front fog lights anyway (or at least not separate from the headlight unit).

Looks like I have to keep my fog lights 'yellow'.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

EDIT: I am wondering now if I can modify the XK light unit to fit the XKR. The fog light in the XKR is held by just two screws as far as I can tell without totally dismantling it. It should be fairly easy to make a bracket that matches the screw holes and then fit this to the XK unit using its own mounting holes. If you look at the photos of the two you can see what I mean. Maybe not worth it?
You don’t need to modify anything. I’m using LED H11 bulbs on my XK fog lights. Plug and play.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Michigan
Couldn’t you use these? Says they fit a 2006 XKR

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223653012982
Unfortunately not. They look very similar to the fog light units from the XK but they have an entirely different fixing to those required for the XKR and are also, I believe, physically a different shape. The XKR fog lights are recessed into dummy air intakes whereas the XK are not. It's made worse due to the fact that so few XKRs have fog lights anyway - only the XKR models prior to 2010 have them. After that the XKR has air intakes where the fog lights were. I've pretty much given up worrying about it: I rarely use the fog lights anyway, and all of my other lights now (except for the main headlights and the turn signal bulbs) have been replaced with LEDs, so I pretty much have the look I was after.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
- only the XKR models prior to 2010 have them. After that the XKR has air intakes where the fog lights were.
I admit I miss the fog lights my '07 XK have while driving my XKR.
I haven't envisioned a practical way to adapt any functional aftermarket sets to the XKR without hurting the front end aesthetics yet, which is too bad. I really really really want more light up there!

Old 11-10-2019, 02:13 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I haven't envisioned a practical way to adapt any functional aftermarket sets to the XKR without hurting the front end aesthetics yet, which is too bad. I really really really want more light up there!
I'm upgrading my car with a 2010 bumper and have mounted LED's here!:-)

My 2006 has foglights so easy for me to connect.:-)

The following 2 users liked this post by peterv8:
barnsie (11-10-2019), gkubrak (11-15-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
see here

Attached Thumbnails LED Light Upgrade-jaguar-xkr-starte-2_800x0w.jpg  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DannyJ
see here
Those look nice, where did you buy them? 😊

Old 11-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone added a second backup light?

I would get much more useful light by changing the red rear foglight on my '08 XK to a second backup light. Has anyone done that? Wiring the light would not be a big problem, but I don't know what else is different between the two lights. Sockets? Lenses?

Radiance Red glows in the sun.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by iamddo
I would get much more useful light by changing the red rear foglight on my '08 XK to a second backup light. Has anyone done that? Wiring the light would not be a big problem, but I don't know what else is different between the two lights. Sockets? Lenses?

Radiance Red glows in the sun.
First, the colour is different! 😁 I think I've read somewhere that LHD and RHD have the opposite so if yours is a leftie you could buy the back up light from a right hand drive. I'm sure someone can confirm if I'm right! 😊

Or buy the rear lights of a 2010-2011 which I've done and you'll have twin foglights and back up lights. The're full led so a nice upgrade! 😊 Search this forum and you'll find the threads.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
I'm upgrading my car with a 2010 bumper and have mounted LED's here!
I though about it, but I would be looking more for a driving light rather than a fog light if possible. Not having control over where the light gets focused is also a personal issue for me, as I do not like blinding oncoming traffic just cause I think I look cool... (Not that that is your intent, but it is important to me that any light I produce be somewhat tuneable.)
Also, the XKRs are touchy about left/right airflow and IIRC they toss codes easily even with mismatched filters. I really want something that is functional

Originally Posted by iamddo
I have not done it with my XK, but I did buy the lamp from the UK for the conversion. I just bought the XKR before getting deeper into it and it went on hold.
I opted to buy a second fog light, rather than a 2nd backup light. Figured I would wire them both to fire when in reverse, as they are plenty bright enough, and if I didn't like it then simply add an under-bumper LED for something white.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
Those look nice, where did you buy them? 😊
I didn't....just saw it on their web page

Old 11-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DannyJ
I didn't....just saw it on their web page
800 Euro's, OUCH!😊

Old 11-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the brightest and best (IMO) bulbs that fit.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273853976857

Last edited by Lee Michigan; 11-12-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just swapped mine over. Had the headlights lightly tinted anyway so it just looks much cleaner now I’d say. Put some Osram Laser 200’s in the dipped beam so will see if they make much difference.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signal LEDs

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
After all my reading and research I didn’t even try, I just bought the chrome plated bulbs to give a clean look without the egg yolk orange...
Great thread - thanks to all for contributing as I’ve learned so much! Q. Re: turn signal LEDs? Has anyone tried switchback LEDs as an answer to turn signal/DRLs?

eBay switchback indicators

Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The simple ones?

This has been a great thread. Thanks to all who have helped with all the great advice. Interestingly, I am running into issues with the "simple ones"!

a) Visor/Vanity Lights - although I can pry open easily the plastic lens next to the mirrors, it is completely not clear how the bulbs can come out. Does anyone have a diagram/picture?

And, if I am not yet feeling foolish enough...

b) License Plate lamps - how does one remove the plastic lens covers. I have applied what I believe is a great deal of strength, they will not budge and I am fearful I am about the break them. Any advice on how to get to these lamps to replace them?

Lastly, with one of the inside/overhead lights replacement, I found that the contacts were very tricky with the LEDs I bought and took some contact "engineering" to make solid contact.

Appreciate any advice regarding these "simple ones!"

Old 12-02-2020, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by plourenco
This has been a great thread. Thanks to all who have helped with all the great advice. Interestingly, I am running into issues with the "simple ones"!

a) Visor/Vanity Lights - although I can pry open easily the plastic lens next to the mirrors, it is completely not clear how the bulbs can come out. Does anyone have a diagram/picture?

And, if I am not yet feeling foolish enough...

b) License Plate lamps - how does one remove the plastic lens covers. I have applied what I believe is a great deal of strength, they will not budge and I am fearful I am about the break them. Any advice on how to get to these lamps to replace them?

Lastly, with one of the inside/overhead lights replacement, I found that the contacts were very tricky with the LEDs I bought and took some contact "engineering" to make solid contact.

Appreciate any advice regarding these "simple ones!"
You need tweezers or very fine needle-nose pliers to extract the vanity light bulbs. They just pull clear. Fitting the LED replacements is very difficult. After I finally managed it, anyone using the vanity mirror said they looked like Frankenstein's monster due to the harsher, white light, so I swapped mine back to regular bulbs again (which are easier to insert too). All my other bulbs were changed to LED though.

The license plate lamps on my 2008 XKR are removed by gently prying at the side with a small screwdriver to 'unhook' the plastic clip which retains them. You are right to be careful - I snapped off one of the plastic clips on one of my units and had to buy a replacement, which is expensive for what is a bit of moulded plastic. My advice is to gently warm the plastic unit before attempting to remove it - this will slightly soften the brittle plastic and make it easier to remove safely. Use a heat gun on a low setting or a hairdryer.

A quick google shows that there are two types of license plate units - the 'push fix' type I have:

Number Plate Lamp LH (C2P3668) (sngbarratt.com)

On the photo in the link you can see the two retaining prongs on one side of the unit quite clearly. The bit that you have to pry is the opposite end of the unit. I can tell what it is from the photo but if you haven't seen one before, you may not be able to.

Or the 'screw fix' type - IDK which your car may have.

Jaguar X150 XK Number Plate Lamp|British Parts UK

It seems that the push fix type were for cars from 2006 - 2010 model years (that is UK MY, the US MYs may be slightly different).

Last edited by barnsie; 12-02-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Barnsie - thank you! Last night I was thinking that the LEDs may be too harsh (it's for the Mrs who uses the vanity mirror, honestly I don't think I have ever used the one on the driver side) and perhaps your advice is the best - to keep the bulbs as is.

As for the license plate lamp covers, thank you for the confirmation. I will use a heat lamp this weekend first. BTW - we have the same "push fix" type on our '08 XKRs!

All the best and thanks again!

Old 12-02-2020, 10:33 AM

Barnsie - thank you! Last night I was thinking that the LEDs may be too harsh (it's for the Mrs who uses the vanity mirror, honestly I don't think I have ever used the one on the driver side) and perhaps your advice is the best - to keep the bulbs as is.
Good call It was my wife who made the 'Frankenstein' comment.

As for the license plate lamp covers, thank you for the confirmation. I will use a heat lamp this weekend first. BTW - we have the same "push fix" type on our '08 XKRs!
They will pry off quite easily once you attack the proper side of the fitting with a small pry tool of some sort. And getting them nicely warmed up minimises the risk of snappage (haha, is that a word? It is now.). Insert the pry tool and gently press inwards to depress the little 'catch', then pull the component down slightly towards you - once it is at an angle you can pull the two retaining prongs on the other end from the housing. I can't draw for love or money, but the little sketch below shows what you are feeling for when you insert the pry tool.

All the best and thanks again!
You're welcome. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2020, 02:25 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, I just replaced my license plate 194s, with LEDs about a month ago and immediately noticed a dim glow even with the power off. Three days later my battery was dead. Had never had a battery issue before even after leaving the car setting for weeks at a time. This was the only change I made to date to the xkr. Have you noticed any dim lights with your LED installs?

Old 12-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by d a
Thanks, I just replaced my license plate 194s, with LEDs about a month ago and immediately noticed a dim glow even with the power off. Three days later my battery was dead. Had never had a battery issue before even after leaving the car setting for weeks at a time. This was the only change I made to date to the xkr. Have you noticed any dim lights with your LED installs?
I had that with the LEDs I installed. They would usually turn off completely after a while. Never drained my battery though. A few weeks later they started to flicker (they were the cheap amazon ones - should have read the review first!). So I replaced them with the more expensive amazon ones.

Haven't noticed a flicker on the new ones and they don't stay on dimly after I turn off the lights. So far so good....

Quick Reply: LED Light Upgrade