XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Legendary Dash Pull

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Legendary Dash Pull

So like many of our XKs from this era my 2010 has the dash glue giving up and the leather pulling back.

So I am planning to tackle this problem by having someone remove the windshield for me and stretch it back into place.

I have a couple of questions that could use this forum's lovely expertise.

1. What do you all recommend to soften up the leather? Its not overly stiff but any softening I can get from it would certainly help.

The two main recommendations I've had are leather honey and Obenauf's Leather Oil.

However I've heard the latter can darken some leathers so I was curious if anyone had an experience with this.

2. What glue do you recommend to secure the dash leather back where it should be? Should I use staples? Any thoughts here on keeping this looking as nice as possible.

3 Any other advise for someone attempting this.

Thank you in advance for any help you offer.

The following users liked this post:
jerome41441 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Anything that 'softens leather' will destroy the paint and coating on top of the leather. Molest it as little as possible. Even a too-strong tug will crack and split the topcoat.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

If you don't use staples on the leading edge adjacent to the windshield and around the center speaker (after you've removed the speaker grill, it will simply happen again. The adhesive was asked to do an impossible job which was to hold in place highly stretched leather in all kinds of climates without any other anchoring. We XK/XKR owners know also from experience that our headliners fall down on our heads with regularity because the adhesive sticks to foam rubber that eventually turns to powder and doesn't have the ability to hold the adhesive any longer. The same thing happens on your dash. Jaguar did not even allow enough leather to wrap around the underside of the dash frame and therefore the staples are the only way to make sure it doesn't creep back. I did this 8 years ago when I bought my 2010 XKR, my car is never garaged, and I live in the San Fernando Valley where summer temperatures are rarely below 100*F and go to 120*F on occasion, and my dash looks as good today as the first day we did the repair 8 years ago. As for the adhesive, get a high temperature automotive adhesive but supplement with staples. The staples will show at the front edge against the windshield, so I have used a 1/2" flat leather braid, glued to the edge of the dash frame covering the staples. I'll be happy to send you some as I've sent some to two other forum members this week. Just let me know.

The following 5 users liked this post by tberg:
ExKayRick (12-19-2021), LoudHogRider (08-29-2021), rgfb62 (08-29-2021), VroomForTwo (08-26-2021), XKRAU (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use a 1/8 by 1/4 inch extruded aluminum strip, painted flat black, and gently curved, then screwed to the front edge of the dash to hide staples. Its colour blends perfectly to the defroster vents forward of it which are also flat black. The glued and stapled area is completely hidden.
Bob

Old 08-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

If you've the charcoal leather, be careful with that centre speaker grille, age and heat makes them brittle. A new one 5 years ago was $40-50 when I installed a new dash. Now they're $250, caramel is still over $200 or you can order an oyster one and paint it for $80.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
If you've the charcoal leather, be careful with that centre speaker grille, age and heat makes them brittle. A new one 5 years ago was $40-50 when I installed a new dash. Now they're $250, caramel is still over $200 or you can order an oyster one and paint it for $80.
unfortunately for me mine was cracked when I got the car. So yeah I've been looking into that too.

Best price I've found so far is

https://parts.jaguartreasurecoast.co...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

Old 08-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rgfb62
So like many of our XKs from this era my 2010 has the dash glue giving up and the leather pulling back.

So I am planning to tackle this problem by having someone remove the windshield for me and stretch it back into place.

1. What do you all recommend to soften up the leather? Its not overly stiff but any softening I can get from it would certainly help.

The two main recommendations I've had are leather honey and Obenauf's Leather Oil.

However I've heard the latter can darken some leathers so I was curious if anyone had an experience with this.

2. What glue do you recommend to secure the dash leather back where it should be? Should I use staples? Any thoughts here on keeping this looking as nice as possible.

I like your plan thus far.
1. on softening the leather I spoke to a detail vehicle restorer and he uses water and steam. He either adds water to the leather to get pliability then uses a hair dryer to add heat to streatch wrinkles out or for bigger jobs he uses a steamer for the same task

2. 3M has a glue that i got at Ralleys Auto Parts that I’ve had luck with. I used it on the headliner worked well, no mess easy application

Now for the bad news on our beloved 2010 the manufacturer was stingy on dash leather. There is not enough leather to streach out and staple. I’ve heard of people adding more material to the ends to staple but have no idea what that process is so I’m afraid that you will not be able to staple and lastly with the heat and leather shrinkage it is a possibility that the dash structure has been warped if so you either have to replace it or level it out for you to have a good mating surface for your leather
i hope this helps and good luck
sincerely
Jerome

rgfb62 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dash pull

QUOTE]

I like your plan thus far.
1. on softening the leather I spoke to a detail vehicle restorer and he uses water and steam. He either adds water to the leather to get pliability then uses a hair dryer to add heat to streatch wrinkles out or for bigger jobs he uses a steamer for the same task

2. 3M has a glue that i got at Ralleys Auto Parts that I’ve had luck with. I used it on the headliner worked well, no mess easy application

Now for the bad news on our beloved 2010 the manufacturer was stingy on dash leather. There is not enough leather to streach out and staple. I’ve heard of people adding more material to the ends to staple but have no idea what that process is so I’m afraid that you will not be able to staple and lastly with the heat and leather shrinkage it is a possibility that the dash structure has been warped if so you either have to replace it or level it out for you to have a good mating surface for your leather
i hope this helps and good luck
sincerely
Jerome

Old 08-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

If it were me with this problem; I would go to Tberg. He has made the repair work. See post number 3 above. Then for more information use the search box at the top of the page and put in either pulling dash leather, shrinking dash leather or something similar go there and read the threads.

Sean W (08-29-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

How many miles on your car? Do you live in a warm climate and was your car left in direct sunlight? I'm just wondering if this happens to all of our cars regardless of the climate conditions.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:33 AM

My car has less than 25k miles. I'm the second owner so I can't verify the conditions it was left in but it has been in warm climate for all of its life. Though from my understanding eventually it catches up to everyone its not a matter of if but when.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I bought my 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible in 2010 and the leather dash is still like new. To keep it that way, I always put the top up and use a sunshade whenever I park outdoors, and I apply Griot's leather conditioner conditioner to all the leather twice yearly.

Here's the sunshade. It's a Jaguar accessory that's a sturdy, folding, perfect custom fit - top to bottom and side to side, with no gaps. It's expensive but worth it. I added the Leaper logo. Note that it fits snug against the base of the windshield, in front of the dashboard, so the leather is not exposed. No, I don't use it when parked in my garage - I just took the photo there.

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Arminius (12-17-2021), bocatrip (08-30-2021), ExKayRick (12-19-2021), sov211 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Stiart S, I'm sure that your living in the North East is a factor for your dash holding up as it does. The heat must be the biggest influence for our headliners and dash leather. Yes, the sunshade is great protection as well. I've been using sunshade religiously for almost 12 years on my 21 year old Lexus which is known for the sticky dash as well as bubbles etc. Knock on wood....It's in perfect conditon.

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-30-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

My dash is still fine and wonderful. I got it off-lease CPO from DFW and took it home in the high desert of Utah and drive with the top down every chance I get. I DO park it in the garage though, so that definitely helps.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Stiart S, I'm sure that your living in the North East is a factor for your dash holding up as it does. The heat must be the biggest influence ...
You must have me confused with someone else because I live in a suburb of Atlanta, and haven't lived in the NE since 1965. In case you didn't know, in the summer it's called Hotlanta for a reason.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I reckon it's not just heat, but humidity likely plays a larger role in the failure. Mine has spent little time in the sun and has had multiple interior trim failures, leather on front and rear panels, headliner, dash, rear, pillar covers, etc and even the new ones to replace the failed ones only last a few years indoors and only a couple thousand miles with AC.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I live in Southern Cal which is notorious for its' heat. Usually fairly low humidity. My 13 vert shows no signs of pulling (knock on wood), but when home it is in the garage.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You must have me confused with someone else because I live in a suburb of Atlanta, and haven't lived in the NE since 1965. In case you didn't know, in the summer it's called Hotlanta for a reason.
Sorry Stuart, I misread your location. The good news is that your dash has held up, even in the hot temperatures. Maybe there is hope yet?

Old 09-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

curious if anybody with this issue has considered rapping Dash in Alcântara? don’t know if it would hide leather dash issue but I considered this (not having issue yet with leather Dash) but figured it would look nice to match my dash with the a pillar that are Alcântara anyone attempted this? if so pictures??
Thanks guys
best of luck

Old 09-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I bet you could make it nice; the dash on my 07 was a padding backed bit of leather glued to hard plastic directly. You should be able to glue down some nice and appropriate foam material after removing the leather and foam layer and then lay down the alcantara on top.

I’m on the last part of redoing dash, center console, under dash and runner trim pieces (more than a dozen parts) on my Maserati and considered alcantara/microsuede before buying a boatload of leather and replacing it all myself. They offered an alcantara covered dash on them and it looks nice. I’m not sure Jaguar ever did on any XK variants but well executed with appropriate other bits (pillars, headliner, center tunnel, glovebox, steering column underneath cowl panel, etc) I think it would look nice and blend/be appropriate with other peer level luxury GT cars

Quick Reply: Legendary Dash Pull