XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Lets talk about Bushings and Suspension.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If you put a wrench on one of the nuts, and turn it to tighten it, and the whole shaft turns, it's not tight and may be causing your noise. Plan to check all mine this weekend.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I've noticed in the last month a creek or groan in the front suspension with the following:

Turning right from a flat surface onto an incline... Like going up a driveway or some form of business from a flat road.

It's becoming more and more consistent.... Ugh.....

The following users liked this post:
mattastic13 (01-18-2024)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

This is where being hard of hearing comes in handy. My car is quiet as a church mouse. Occasionally the wolf drives and advises on any creaks or squeaks that may require attention.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

My whole rear end suspension is shot to pieces bar the shocks and springs

Up front I've only got one tie rod end and upper control arm that need to be changed

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
My whole rear end suspension is shot to pieces bar the shocks and springs

Up front I've only got one tie rod end and upper control arm that need to be changed
Dear god! are you still driving it!?!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Yes it's still my daily been meaning to change all the components over but have made the new house a priority

In hindsight at least the Cat finally has a driveway and cosy garage at nights

Old 09-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Sorry for all the distress here, but I'm comforted to see that this is a "thing," and not just a problem with my car. Having some bushings replaced right now (at the 20,000 mile mark, but then the car is six years old) and didn't even know it was a problem-- though I was noticing the steering wasn't as tight as I thought it had been. And while I'm comfortable doing basic repairs (don't have a garage so I do them in our parking structure), I'm glad I'm having this done by a tech.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
I've replaced the bushings on all of my cars ... depending on the car, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50 - 60k. I've found that I really don't notice the 'looseness' in the suspension until I change the bushings.
I thought my Lotus was really tight until I replace the sway bar bushings! Wow did that make the front end solid.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I can remember vividly when my coil overs were being installed, I noticed the stock bushings looked like they wouldn't last to long. The rubber is way to soft for a car this heavy and powerful. You can also hear them creak when entering a steep entrance if you enter at an angle, as I'm sure they are being pushed(or crushed)to their limits.

The control arm bushings looked like a gummy bear material , they just didn't hold their form well. This all has to do with Jaguar's accepted level of noise, vibration and harshness thresholds. The cars are really stiff so they allow some compliance in places most people won't notice.

I though didn't think about it again as all my other sports cars had bushings that lasted past 50k. Then I took my RR sport in for service last week and it needs 3k worth of control arm and tie rod bushings at 60k miles.

If they made urethane bushings I would replace them, but those can annoyingly squeak if not lubricated correctly. There is a lot of movement in the stock bushings, my rear roll bar bushings were already showing minor cracks at around 5k miles.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Will I thought there were none on the market but I may look at these even for my F Type

Jaguar Performance Suspension Bushings

I'll have to do some research on the overall quality of the bushings.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I've noticed in the last month a creek or groan in the front suspension with the following:

Turning right from a flat surface onto an incline... Like going up a driveway or some form of business from a flat road.

It's becoming more and more consistent.... Ugh.....
Mine did this when new and the coil overs brought it out a bit more as the springs were stiffer. Although this is much better than the car twisting as my C4 convertible did back in my 90s.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
Mine did this when new and the coil overs brought it out a bit more as the springs were stiffer. Although this is much better than the car twisting as my C4 convertible did back in my 90s.
Regarding my creak noise when turning right onto an incline they have ruled out suspension and even removed and greased the A Frame Bolts.... they have no idea why mine creaks.... Again - nothing surprises me with my lemon haha.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in the process of overhauling the entire front end of my '07 XK coupe. Everything is moving along smoothly. I was looking for some information on replacing the lower ball joint in the wheel knuckle that connects to the lower lateral control arm. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenUSAnh
I am in the process of overhauling the entire front end of my '07 XK coupe. Everything is moving along smoothly. I was looking for some information on replacing the lower ball joint in the wheel knuckle that connects to the lower lateral control arm. Any suggestions?

Steve, I don't want to cause you extra work but would you mind starting a thread with what you're doing and have done. Are you doing it yourself? I would like to replace all of the bushings and anything else i can to make the car ride more like new.

StevenUSAnh (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM

Hi Robbing, I am doing it all myself! I would be happy to put all of the information on a new thread. I can list all of the parts, references to the repair manual, non-manual listed helpful procedures such as how to replace the stabilizer bushings in a simple manner but you need a few very long extensions on the end of a ratchet wrench, or as my wife calls it a racket wrench. Every bushing is getting replaced. I even found a hose that was way too close to the power belt and potentially could wear the power belt. I tied it off to the frame so that it doesn't flop around - less wear. It should be fun. I will start the thread in the morning.

The following 3 users liked this post by StevenUSAnh:
guy (12-06-2016), kj07xk (12-05-2016), Panthro (02-09-2019)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome, I'll be doing the same over the Christmas holiday. My front end has some noises here and there. My Rover did the same thing so I changed out the sway bar links. Haven't done anything else on it yet. Going to concentrate on the XK for now.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 PM

I just finished up rebuilding the front suspension in my '07 XK. I was a great project and made a wonderful difference in handling and now, NO NOISE! I replaced:
1. L&R wheel hub & bearing
2. L&R upper control arms
3. L&R top mount plate
4. L&R damper (shock absorber)
5. L&R stabilizer link
6. L&R lower lateral control arm bushings
7. L&R stabilizer arm bushings
8. L&R lower control arms
9. L&R ball joints on the lower lateral control arms

I sand blasted and painted just about everything I removed and reused. It all looks very nice now. The test drive was a joy. Almost every part came from Reno Jaguar online parts. Excellent group out there.

The following 3 users liked this post by StevenUSAnh:
kj07xk (05-24-2017), mosesbotbol (05-24-2017), Panthro (02-09-2019)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I just finished up rebuilding the front suspension in my '07 XK. I was a great project and made a wonderful difference in handling and now, NO NOISE! I replaced:
3. L&R top mount plate
5. L&R stabilizer link

I sand blasted and painted just about everything I removed and reused. It all looks very nice now. The test drive was a joy. Almost every part came from Reno Jaguar online parts. Excellent group out there.
No intent to pry, and ignore if you think I'm out of place, but how much did all that cost you in parts?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

3. L&R top mount plate
5. L&R stabilizer link

Congrats!
Did you ever create that thread you mentioned above?
A list of the part numbers would be great.
And for those of us that may want to tackle this in the future, any hints for things you ran into, would be great.
Yep, that Reno Jaguar online parts is a great resource, bought several things from them at the best prices.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:58 PM

Hi Cee Jay, I am glad to let you know about the parts. All together the parts cost about $2,100. Most of the parts came from Reno Jaguar.

Cee Jay (06-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Bushings and Suspension.....