XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Level of DIY'er.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Default Level of DIY'er.

There are various levels of DIY skills which all contribute to making forms like this very help full. We all have different levels and priorities that determine them. The older I get the more I am regressing to a level 1 DIY'er. What I mean is although I want to do the work I'm in a position where I'd rather take it to a dealer or an indie but still reluctant to do so. So here's my thoughts on level.
Level 1 - Knows dealer/indie phone number , washes car at car wash
Level 2 - Wash and wax car at home , check tire pressure , checks all fluids
Level 3 - Machine polish/waxes car , changes all filters , changes sparkplugs ,
Bleeds brakes , changes brake pads , uses OBDII code readers and
repairs , rotates tires
Level 4 - Changes alternators , water pumps , timing belts , fuel pumps ,
radiators , diagnosis and repair AC
Level 5 - Rebuild engine , transmission , differential , clutch , wheel
bearings

Now this is only a small summary of items that need or can be repaired or replaced so there are more things in each level. It is all in fun as we all have various other life skill that out shadow some of these. I was maybe a 5 but heading for a 1 but I still get these dam urges to do stuff and keep a supply of hand cleaner in the garage.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
kj07xk (01-18-2016), Sean W (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Thanks for that list, it will be interesting to see how we rate ourselves.
I started out in the 3-4 range when I was young and had no money. Regressed to a 1-2 during most of my working career, and driving what a friend referred to as 'rolling turds', just your common sedans.
But now that I have my XK, I'm coming back into the 3-4 range, with aspirations of some 5 level tasks (diff rebuild, thanks to flyc2c's great posts).

Old 01-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Realistically, I'm about a 2.4, but I'm always shooting for a 3.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Woohoo! Level 5 achieved! Thanks kj!

Joachim-I live in Snellville. We should meet up sometime. Maybe in Monroe.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Thanks for starting this Jagtoes.

I'll put myself @ 4.5. Being a former mechanic, my limitations are primarily space and tools. You need a lot of space to rebuild a transmission and a few specialty tools that just don't cost justify. Same can be said for engine rebuilds. Differentials, Hubs, Yep, I'll still do them.

I love the tranquility that comes with DIY auto repair.

My bones do start to ache. I bought a mid rise lift last year which makes Levels 3,4 and 5 much much easier.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

No level "0"? This would be someone who has someone else do everything. Including washing, detailing and even preparing the car for use by driving the car from the stable to door.

I'm a 4.5 to 5. I've completely rebuilt cars in high school including engines. Today, I do it because I sometimes just want to. I'd like to be a level zero with a Ferrari 488 and McLaren P1 added to the stable. I'm getting lazy as I get older.

Last edited by DGL; 01-17-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
No level "0"? This would be someone who has someone else do everything. Including washing, detailing and even preparing the car for use by driving the car from the stable to door.
Isn't that called the "butler".

The following users liked this post:
DGL (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

jagtoes,

I'm not sure where I rate because I've done some, but not all, of the things in both Level 3 and Level 4 when I was younger. Now I'm like you - pay the tech so I don't skin my knuckles. But just like you, I sometimes get the urge to DIY for the challenge and feeling of accomplishment.

At what DIY level would you rate someone who installed Steve's (White XKR) remote top kit with the optional rear window control? I thought it wasn't all that difficult and I took my time to follow Steve's instructions to the letter.

It took me a couple of days to do it because I was cramped in the back seat and needed some break time to recuperate, since I'm not as young as I used to be and don't work as fast as I used to. Now I'm just half fast.

Stuart

Old 01-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I've completely rebuilt a manual trans (a few years ago)and also completely rebuilt the engine of my first car when I was 17. About the only thing I won't mess with is major electrical issues. I'm about to replace the clutch on my DD Honda shortly should take me @ 4-6 hours and save me @ $600 in labor plus I'll save lots of cash on parts

My mechanical desires come mostly from the fact that I've found VERY few mechanics who are good what what they do. When you watch a mechanic how many are using torque wrenches? The vast majority are trained to get the job "in and out" and move on with little concern with quality, longevity, looking for anything other than "add-on" additional service such as we just recently saw in a post inquiring about whether his warranty should cover suggested maintenance. Too often I've stood there and heard service advisors at dealerships tell customers things like "your water pump repair will be $300 and your timing belt will be $600"... I heard this and chimed in with "sir, you already have the front of the engine exposed and the WP replacement then is simply 4 bolts on a part that costs $40... how do you get $240 labor to remove and replace those 4 bolts?"... they nicely then offered to replace the WP for no labor charge. OR when they charge twice for having the wheels off the car once to do the same job. Those "mistakes" in charging are not by accident. I've also rarely found that their quality of labor remotely compares to my "labor of love" where I do a thorough look at what I'm doing to make sure that job, and any related jobs, are done right. If their replacing spark plugs do you see them with a torque wrench... no. if they are changing your oil how many torque wrenches are you seeing there? And you wonder why there's so many stripped pan plugs... it's because their focus is saving time/maximizing profits. I personally have no desire to pay an avg rate of well over $400/hr (Jag usually charges @$130+/- an hour) for "flag hours", they're actual time solving the issue is usually FAR less... if you're OK paying that rate for having work done good for you and spur that economy. These people rarely have magical powers. I have had a couple mechanics that are really good guys that are trustworthy/honest/skilled but the VAST majority are not. And the belief that because they are employed at a Jag dealership is also a complete fable - the only thing that changes is the fact that they went through Jag training and that you MAY have some recourse should there be issues.

I understand many have a far greater bankroll and good for them but don't buy into the blind faith that because it costs a ton of labor and the dealership has lovely marble floors that the quality of work done is any better than a local independent you're sadly mistaken. If you don't want to, or are unable to do your own work, there's a price for that which many are more than willing to pay.

There's also another seldom thought of option which I've done often. I'll ask a quality mechanic if they will do the labor and I'll purchase the parts (usually OEM so there's no concern with fitment or quality)... this can save you both a LOT in parts as well as you can be sure that you'll be getting OEM stuff installed. Same can hold true for your oil changes so their not putting dino oil instead of synthetic, etc

Old 01-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

As in many areas of life it often gets back to "relatively speaking". There are many of my friends that were quite impressed I could do an engine swap, completely rebuild an engine and automatic transmission, and fabricate an exhaust system. Then again, when a friend of mine built a perfect new fender for his old Chevy truck starting with 2 flat pieces of sheet metal, I don't really feel all that "skilled" in comparison. It is sad to say that it is very difficult to find truly great mechanics in the shops, but in the defense of the shops, I can spend 2 days doing a 3 hour job if I feel like it to ensure it is perfect but they are always working to the pressure of the clock.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

What level (5+?) is the DIYer that fabricates their own pro/OEM quality parts and engineered solutions?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
What level (5+?) is the DIYer that fabricates their own pro/OEM quality parts and engineered solutions?

I could buy that. Someone who fabricates panels or welds suspensions and even a painter. As I mentioned there are other parts to each level.Sometimes I dream I am a 10 until my bride smacks me on the back of the head.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
until my bride smacks me on the back of the head.
You've got one of those too?
What worked for me this past year, and hope to do it again this year, is to have your bride go on a long extended vacation without you... to visit her friends and relatives.
Mine was out of the house for a month! Got to do several projects without her poo-pooing them, had a blast, and already have a significant list for her next trip!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Plain and simple. I am DIY'er for several reasons.

1) I am cheap. If I can complete the job myself without having to pay others for work I can complete, I do it myself. I suspect I have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars over a lifetime.

2) DIY projects continue to be a learning experience every time I attempt a new project that results in a satisfactory result.

3) Many jobs that I could hire people to do, I can do it myself.

4) If I realize a job is too big or too complex, I will conduct research to learn if the job or work is doable as a DIY project. My mind still wants to learn new things.

5) When I need or require professional help or assistance, I only then retain or hire a worker to complete the task at hand.

6) At age 64, I don't hire a landscaper to mow land or pick up leaves, I do it myself. If the house needs painting, I do it myself. If the car needs repair and I can do it myself, I do it. So are so many other tasks that I will take on myself.

I don't put myself into any self-ratings or levels on DIY projects or jobs. I consider myself a well-rounded individual that can do just about anything within reason. When I handle something I will admit to myself, I don't have the experience or talent to do it.

The power to saving and creating wealth is to control spending and save.

Last edited by richzak; 01-17-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Plain and simple. I am DIY'er for several reasons.

1) I am cheap. If I can complete the job myself without having to pay others for work I can complete, I do it myself. I suspect I have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars over a lifetime.

2) DIY projects continue to be a learning experience every time I attempt a new project that results in a satisfactory result.

3) Many jobs that I could hire people to do, I can do it myself.

4) If I realize a job is too big or too complex, I will conduct research to learn if the job or work is doable as a DIY project. My mind still wants to learn new things.

5) When I need or require professional help or assistance, I only then retain or hire a worker to complete the task at hand.

6) At age 64, I don't hire a landscaper to mow land or pick up leaves, I do it myself. If the house needs painting, I do it myself. If the car needs repair and I can do it myself, I do it. So are so many other tasks that I will take on myself.

I don't put myself into any self-ratings or levels on DIY projects or jobs. I consider myself a well-rounded individual that can do just about anything within reason. When I handle something I will admit to myself, I don't have the experience or talent to do it.

All of above plus...

7) I don't trust anyone. I take my time. Do it right because I have a vested interest to do so. No short cuts.

richzak (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Level 2 ascending - wash, wax, polish, check fluids and pressures plus basic cosmetic mods that require enthusiasm more than any real skill or dexterity. Essentially the level of a particularly motivated chimp. As Dirty Harry says, "...a man's got to know his limitations."

elindo (10-06-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak

This is a quote that I have lived by my entire life! It isn't always about how much money you make but how smartly you spend it. My microwave was acting up, researched and found that the door switches were the problem. Found a local source and repaired my $500 microwave for $5. My home air conditioner wasn't operating right, figured out it was the fan, repaired myself for $100. Same with a Solenoid last year. Those were easy though, 30 minute repairs as opposed to entire weekends.

Like many who have chimed in, I can and have done it all. For me it comes down to time, I have hit my prime income years and the devotion to the primary task (income) limits my ability to use my free time to save money. I don't want to spend all week making money and then waste my weekend trying to save some of that hard earned cash. Plus I travel several days a week so I am always playing catch-up.

I have removed and rebuilt engines when younger so I feel comfortable with anything on a car. But I also own a house, so I have tons of projects on that also that I could save instead paying someone else to do. Same for my Jetski, my motorcycle, my Jeep. At some point I have to let someone else handle the labor so I have some free time!

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
elindo (10-06-2016), richzak (01-17-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

You forgot Level 10 ... can successfully install and use IDS/SDD,
JTIS, JEPC on bare metal Windows 7, no VM's allowed.

Level 11 ... willing and able to rewire processors to perform new
functions.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a mechanical engineer and people assume I'm a 5, and while I know I CAN be a 5, I'm really a 1.7 or so. I like driving cars and looking at and learning about cars and reading all about cars way way more than repairing and maintaining them. I'd also much rather be on the engineering team designing a new engine than to ever change my own oil.

Last edited by apost8n8; 01-18-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

For some wrenching is a hobby and for others it's a necessity.

Most members on this forum take pride in their motor cars and are automotive enthusiast--value ownership, take pride in their cars and gain further value from understanding and working on them; this is often an overlooked and personal benefit of wrenching. Simply the joy of DIY and the added understanding of how your car works when you do drive it is priceless because some people value this more than others. Costs and time are given less weight by these people and the endeavour of DIY is intriguing and rewarding (a hobby DIYer). As mentioned above, by many members, opportunity cost and time are weighed differently depending on what stage in your life you are in, resources, knowledge, ability, desire etc.

Quick Reply: Level of DIY'er.