XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Locked out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out!

1st time poster and in need of help. I disconnected the battery in my 2007 XK convertible, and hooked up my C- t e k maintainer unit for long-term storage. The problem is I foolishly left my key fob, with the mechanical key for the trunk, in the trunk and shut it. So I have no way to open the trunk now since the electric trunk release is not energized. My thinking is that I can connect a battery to one of the fuse box lugs or in the fuse slot itself and energize the trunk release button. However I have reviewed the various wiring diagrams available online and don't see a fuse for the trunk release and therefore don't know which fuse panel to look at. Secondly I am terribly afraid of energizing the wrong post and somehow doing serious electrical damage.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:19 PM
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts

I’d be very careful. These things have very sensitive electronics. I’d be more inclined to obtain the services of a certified locksmith.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptguy
1st time poster and in need of help. I disconnected the battery in my 2007 XK convertible, and hooked up my C- t e k maintainer unit for long-term storage. The problem is I foolishly left my key fob, with the mechanical key for the trunk, in the trunk and shut it. So I have no way to open the trunk now since the electric trunk release is not energized. My thinking is that I can connect a battery to one of the fuse box lugs or in the fuse slot itself and energize the trunk release button. However I have reviewed the various wiring diagrams available online and don't see a fuse for the trunk release and therefore don't know which fuse panel to look at. Secondly I am terribly afraid of energizing the wrong post and somehow doing serious electrical damage.
You are battery positive to the lift gate latch. There's no fuse. The wire to the latch is CA024/2. It is in the aux box. Blue connector, Blue wire in the 2 pin is the output signal. Then find a good ground and it should trip the motor based on your theory.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Would the positive post behind the left rear wheel, and a good ground (I’ve used a tailpipe) suffice? Not sure if it will energize the system with the battery disconnected, but worth a try.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:36 AM
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you open the bonnet? Apply 12v from a jump pack to the engine cooling fan fuse, this allowed enough current for me to open the boot latch when it happened to me.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:12 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Another option is to open it manually. Remove the rear seat back on drivers side. You may have an access thru to the manual pull strap hanging there from the lid. A flashlight will see it is possible. The division may be already down.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sony2000
Another option is to open it manually. Remove the rear seat back on drivers side. You may have an access thru to the manual pull strap hanging there from the lid. A flashlight will see it is possible. The division may be already down.
There’s no access to the trunk/boot from the rear seat in a convertible.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:10 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

You don't have a spare key? U can take the metal key out the fob of the spare key and put it in the key slot of the trunk to open it like the simple old fashion way

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 05-21-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

yikes!

Old 05-21-2024, 04:17 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

best bet is to try energize the whole car with a power source and the trunk will pop itself knowing the key is inside.
if you have access to the interior of the car it should not be a problem energize via under backseat center, it pulls up
and provides access to the body control modules.

Old 07-11-2024, 05:34 PM
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts

Well…it’s always nice or a poster to post the final outcome.

Old Today, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah what is it with people asking questions and then to vanish from earth leaving everyone scratching their head...

FWIW - I had this happen to me and feared the worse, fortunately I have 2 keys -- ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL... Have you a set of keys? if the answer is NO go get another...

I used the other key, the actualy key in the fob to open the boot from the key hole behind the number plate.

As for Vcc+ points in the XK X150, there is one in the left hand grill in the boot behind that grill cover, there also is one on the underside on the rear wheel - not sure which wheel but I believe there is a power access point and finally there is one in the rear seat with the cover trim pulled - there is a grey rubber shroud covering it as per the one in the rear boot

Last edited by ericmcn; Today at 12:47 PM.
Old Today, 12:46 PM

But get two keys - the cars are bad enough to maintain without depending on a single key

Old Today, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericmcn
As for Vcc+ points in the XK X150, there is one in the left hand grill in the boot behind that grill cover, there also is one on the underside on the rear wheel - not sure which wheel …
The underside post is directly under the one in the trunk/boot, which is behind the left rear wheel well.

The following users liked this post:
ericmcn (Today)
Old Today, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
The underside post is directly under the one in the trunk/boot, which is behind the left rear wheel well.
Thank you for confirming 😄