XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Locked out with only keyfob in the trunk - resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 06:36 PM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

Attached is info on sidewinder keys for various vehicles. Jaguar is a 10 cut shown on page 9. There is a Lishi number listed as well.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sidewinder Key Information.pdf (1.10 MB, 105 views)
The following 5 users liked this post by V7Sport:
Alljagz (10-21-2021), Cee Jay (10-20-2021), guy (10-21-2021), kj07xk (10-20-2021), ralphwg (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

I’d be afraid the 007 Self Destruct style security system may go off.

Last edited by guy; 10-21-2021 at 06:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alljagz (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I am in the XKR one key FOB club. The FOB that came with it had an issue with the emergency key slipping out of the case all the time, so I just placed ot on my keyring and my wife and I use the FOB seperately. The wife locks FOB in truck issue is solved by me having the hard key on my keyring...along with my other (gulp) 6 cars. The Jag is a recreational driver, so I hesitate to get a second FOB. Not sure what my acceptable price is, but sure wish that the Ford PATS system was used on this when Ford owned Jag. Keys and FOBs are easily programmed by the owner with that system. I have 3 copies for all my other cars. Also AAA will wedge the window and pop the interior door unlock button. Probably ok for some of my other cars, but would prefer not to do on the Jag.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:42 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a blank key for my XK8, the cut looked like something I could do with my mini files so set to work and produced a decent looking key. I inserted the key into the trunk lock turned it, and it opened immediately. Better check it in the door, no problem! Let's check it in the ignition, went in, turned, no problem, COULD NOT GET IT OUT! After many tries called a locksmith, who finally got it out by removing the barrel and moving it away from the exciter ring. This guy was not able to program the key so now I have it as a spare for the trunk and doors!

Old 10-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alljagz
Yep, my thought as well. The wife had the key buried deep in her bag with other stuff thrown on top so I'm sure that didn't help suppress the sensing of the keyfob. The handbook says that if the fob is in a metal container it would not be sensed. I don't think there was much metal protecting it but the layers of material probably played a role. I am changing the battery in any case just to to play it safe.
So what is the rest of the story? How exactly did the car doors get locked and the keys left in the trunk? I imagine she popped the boot, got out of the car and hit the key fob lock with the boot open, messed around in the trunk and set her handbag down, and then closed the boot?

Old 10-21-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I'd figure the doors would have to be locked before the boot was opened, as the car wouldn't lock WITH the boot opened, but the boot can be opened with the car locked.
Lock, open boot, insert bag, close boot.
"DAMMIT!"

ralphwg (10-25-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out.

2009 XKR conv. I’ve owned the car for 10 years and so far I've managed to get by with only one keyfob. Tossed around the idea of getting a second many times but just never got around to it with all the cross information about which keyfobs work and the risk and expense of reprogramming them to mate with the car. Fate finally caught up with me when i got a call from an odd number last night at 9:30pm (which I usually never answer but for some reason i just felt I should this time). It was my wife saying she’s locked her bag with the keyfob, her phone and wallet in the trunk.

This isn’t supposed to be possible but guess what, she managed to do it. My mind went to a very nasty place knowing this was going to be a very painful experience. Various thoughts raced around as I tried to figure out what to do. I have roadside assistance that covers lockout, but I didn’t want to spend hours waiting for someone to show up and then they not being to open the car anyway because I knew this wasn’t a simple "left the keys in the car" problem I knew my last and most expensive resort was having the car towed to the dealer to get it open. My history with attempted dealer ripoffs is long and I just hate having to work with them, I consider them the last chance stop and only when there are no other options. What was a dealer going to do to get it open that I couldn’t try anyway.

I quickly hit the forum to see what info i could find. Very little about a true lockout without keyfob access. Knowing there was a truck release button inside the car and that I’ve successfully opened many other car doors in past with a coat hanger or other means, one of my first thoughts was that I could probably figure out a way to pull open an door handle or even better hit the trunk release on the dash from outside the car. After several hours attempting both and coming very close, I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t going to happen. I wasn’t even sure the trunk release button was active in a locked car but could not find any info one way or the other. (by the way- it isn't so don't waste your time).

So we left the car there over night (secretly hoping it would just disappear) to start fresh in the morning. After sleeping on it with no new ideas I started out by calling the lockout service. Two lockout "experts" were dispatched who then called to verify the type of car and where the key was only to have both cancel saying they couldn’t open it. Finally got one to the car who said he could open it but wanted to put an airbag to spread apart the windows and said he might break the glass. Not wanting to imagine all the potential damage he might do in addition to that he was basically going to try the same things I did last night, I said No thanks. He then got on the phone and said he knew a guy who could open the trunk. $400 with no damage and no pay if he failed.

Figured I had nothing to lose - so come on over. In the meantime I’ve called all 3 Jaguar dealers in the area to see what they said about getting into the car. One said they could get it open and would have to create a second keyfob to do it. Cost was well I over $1000. When I asked how they would open the car and program a new fob without being able to plug into the car they said they could do it wirelessly. I'm kinda a stickler for details and it just didn’t sound kosher. I knew once they had the car I was fair game for the bill for whatever they attempted On top of that it would take them three days just to get to the car and another 2 to 3 days to get a new keyfob which they didn't have in stock.

Just didn't feel a lot of confidence they could actually get it done without breaking into the car to initially open it. $$$. They did say they could get a second emergency key made for it from the VIN but that would take weeks as it has to be special ordered from England at a cost of over $700 not including labor and storage fees.
The other two dealers were even worse and had no idea how they would open it other than to only say to just tow it in and we'll figure it out. I asked all of them about a good locksmith that they could recommend that might be able to get something open. None of them had a locksmith referral nor did they know if the truck release button would work if the car was locked with the remote and then unlocked from inside (it won't)

All of them said that the locks could not be picked and if they were picked the security system would go I into lockdown mode where you would have to start changing modules to clear it. I asked all of them what would happen if I drilled out the truck lock, none had a clue. I even called an an independent jag mechanic who recommended to break out a taillight and reach in and pull the emergency truck release. Now this almost sounded like a good idea but I’ve had the taillights out to replace bulbs and didn’t recall any cutouts that a hand would fit through or any direct access to the trunk interior. On top of that, the plastic handle for my truck release broke years ago, so I could only imagine trying to find the end of the cable running blind digging around in a full trunk. But being desperate, I thought I might try it until I went on eBay to see the price of a taillight. it would be a rather expensive experiment. Now we're going on 3/4 of a day in this parking lot, really frustrated with no clear answer to what will work from the experts, not hearing from the locksmith for a while (figured he came to his senses and wasn't coming), I was ready to just give in and decided to just have the car towed to a dealer and suffer the $$.

Got roadside assistance to arrange for a tow. While waiting, the locksmith finally showed up. He walked over to the trunk looked at the lock, went back to his van. Looked at me and said you have cash to pay right? I said if you get open I have cash to pay and will also buy you dinner. He took out a small tool that looked like a key and went to the lock. The tool wouldn’t fit. I’m figuring it's going to the dealer. He looked a little bewildered and went back to get a different tool. It looked like a piece of thin metal with a couple of levers on it. This one fit into the lock and he tinkered like a safe cracker for about 10 minutes without success. Didn’t say a word the entire time, went back to his van and came back with a can of wd40 and a seat. I could see he was determined now and was playing the long game.

I'm now thinking the key lock probably has never had a key in it and has never been turned so what is the chance he will be able to turn it even if he had on the innards in the right place. He sprayed the lock and went back to work. As he’s tinkering with the tool, pushing the levers back and forth with his head against the trunk ( I guess he was listening/feeling), just like you see in the movies - which of course you know is all made up - after another 20 minutes or so he takes a big breath and turned the device - BAM - the trunk pops open! But now my thoughts are, did the car just go into security lockdown because of course the horn starts honking and lights flashing.
Got my wife to dig out the keyfob from her bag and hit the unlock button. Everything stops and I hear the front doors unlock. What a sense of relief. YAHOO! I almost kissed this guy. He just looked at me with a stoic face and put the tool in his pocket and walked back to his van.

So the moral of the story is (1) the dealers have no clue how these things work and don't even want to even explore anything out of the standard, like getting a good locksmith to try to pick the locks, before they start to do very expensive things.
They act insulted when you ask what steps they would actually try to gain access to the car. They figure you're stuck and will have to pay for what ever they want to do, (2) even after all the security they built into these keyfobs and security systems to make our life painful, and supposedly the car secure, it just takes a guy with the right tool and skills to get into the car. (3) Hopefully if this happens to you - there is a locksmith you can find that has real locksmith skills and can open a lock without a screw driver and a hammer. Keep trying because it's possible. He says there isn’t a car make that he hasn’t been able to pick. Lifesaver.
Keep fob & key in separate locations. I do. One in each pocket! Works every time!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by ant1830
Keep fob & key in separate locations. I do. One in each pocket! Works every time!
A solution that won’t work for many women, as lots of their clothes have no pockets, so everything goes into one bag (and separate pockets in the bag don’t help here). In the trunk it goes, and as Cee Jay said… DAMMIT!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:42 PM

I'm amazed you didn't find the quick answer to that one. After all, most XJR owners must have had this problem at some time or other, just as I did a few years back. The trunk/boot lock is operated via mechanical linkage, so what you do is remove the rear registration plate, drill a tiny hole at about the right spot, slide a thin screwdriver through the hole and 'jiggle' it a little and the lock pops open. Simple!
The hole is hidden when you replace the registration plate. When I removed the plate to perform the operation on my car I found the hole had already been drilled. By the previous owner now doubt! You know what, I bet all those 'experts' knew how to do it but didn't want to let the secret out. They'd rather string you along and charge you an arm and a leg for work they didn't need to do.
I can't remember the exact measurements for the location of the hole but if I remove my reg plate I could measure it out for you.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by gimlet
I'm amazed you didn't find the quick answer to that one. After all, most XJR owners must have had this problem at some time or other, just as I did a few years back. The trunk/boot lock is operated via mechanical linkage, so what you do is remove the rear registration plate, drill a tiny hole at about the right spot, slide a thin screwdriver through the hole and 'jiggle' it a little and the lock pops open. Simple!
The hole is hidden when you replace the registration plate. When I removed the plate to perform the operation on my car I found the hole had already been drilled. By the previous owner now doubt! You know what, I bet all those 'experts' knew how to do it but didn't want to let the secret out. They'd rather string you along and charge you an arm and a leg for work they didn't need to do.
I can't remember the exact measurements for the location of the hole but if I remove my reg plate I could measure it out for you.
Oops, sorry I misread the title of your post. Mine's an XJR not an XKR so my comments may not be any help at all.

Old 10-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by gimlet
Oops, sorry I misread the title of your post. Mine's an XJR not an XKR so my comments may not be any help at all.
Or.... maybe it will. I've not looked, but since it's a solenoid-driven mechanical device, there may be a way.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The lock is electro-mechanical. There's a bowden cable connection from the latch (item 2) to the external lock (item 9) on the lid.

That's how, if the electrics fail, you can still open the luggage compartment with the key. Of course, in Europe, the standard size registration plate has to be removed first because it covers the lock.

Graham

Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
I am in the XKR one key FOB club. The FOB that came with it had an issue with the emergency key slipping out of the case all the time, so I just placed ot on my keyring and my wife and I use the FOB seperately. The wife locks FOB in truck issue is solved by me having the hard key on my keyring...along with my other (gulp) 6 cars. The Jag is a recreational driver, so I hesitate to get a second FOB. Not sure what my acceptable price is, but sure wish that the Ford PATS system was used on this when Ford owned Jag. Keys and FOBs are easily programmed by the owner with that system. I have 3 copies for all my other cars. Also AAA will wedge the window and pop the interior door unlock button. Probably ok for some of my other cars, but would prefer not to do on the Jag.
You can buy a replacement keyfob case on ebay for $15. The total for buying a second new - non OEM keyfob and programming it along with cutting the emergency key will be $280. Cheaper and more convenient than having a locksmith pick the lock.

As far a AAA wedging the window and popping the interior door lock. There isn't an interior door lock button. It's only the door handle that has to be pulled open that will only unlock the doors. And as I mentioned - that won't help to open the trunk. If the car is locked the only way to open the trunk is with a remote or the emergency key.

Agree with the wish they used a different method to mate these keyfobs, especially now that I know how easily the locks can be picked anyway.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Squito
So what is the rest of the story? How exactly did the car doors get locked and the keys left in the trunk? I imagine she popped the boot, got out of the car and hit the key fob lock with the boot open, messed around in the trunk and set her handbag down, and then closed the boot?
So the rest of the story - The wonders and convenience of keyless entry - apparently she came out after shopping to a locked car and opened the trunk with the button on the trunk (it works keylessly) without unlocking the car with the remote. Threw all her stuff in and closed the trunk. Bingo!

I could understand how that could happen but what I wondered is how did her phone get locked in there too when it's usually glued to her ear.

The following 4 users liked this post by Alljagz:
jons (10-22-2021), kj07xk (10-22-2021), peterv8 (10-27-2021), ralphwg (10-25-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:43 PM
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

So the rest of the story - The wonders and convenience of keyless entry - apparently she came out after shopping to a locked car and opened the trunk with the button on the trunk (it works keylessly) without unlocking the car with the remote. Threw all her stuff in and closed the trunk. Bingo!

I could understand how that could happen but what I wondered is how did her phone get locked in there too when it's usually glued to her ear.
I just tried this out with my Wife's deep-in-the-purse key, same process, locked car open trunk deposit purse and close the trunk. It beeps twice and kicks the trunk open. Tried a couple of spots to see if there is a dead zone but it was good everywhere. At least I know how it works.

My Grand Cherokee is the same intelligence, it knows if the key is in the car when you lock it. Unless, as I found out one day packing stuff in the back at Sams Club, you set it on the VERY back edge of the cargo area. I put it down to load and forgot about it when I closed the hatch, boom I was locked out and had to call the Wife to bring the spare key to rescue me. Hence the reason I tested for a dead zone in the jag trunk.

Cee Jay (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I just tried this out with my Wife's deep-in-the-purse key, same process, locked car open trunk deposit purse and close the trunk. It beeps twice and kicks the trunk open. Tried a couple of spots to see if there is a dead zone but it was good everywhere. At least I know how it works.

My Grand Cherokee is the same intelligence, it knows if the key is in the car when you lock it. Unless, as I found out one day packing stuff in the back at Sams Club, you set it on the VERY back edge of the cargo area. I put it down to load and forgot about it when I closed the hatch, boom I was locked out and had to call the Wife to bring the spare key to rescue me. Hence the reason I tested for a dead zone in the jag trunk.
Its the low battery in the keyfob not so much the dead zone

Old 10-23-2021, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Its the low battery in the keyfob not so much the dead zone
I'm not sure why the sensor protection in the trunk didn't work. Whether it was buried in her bag inside another bag or that the battery was low. The system was not showing a low battery on the keyfob. The keyfob still worked from quite a distance from the car. I put in a new battery just in case. Once I get the new spare keyfob I'll test it out to see if the interior trunk sensor is working.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:24 AM
plc
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alljagz said on post 51
As far a AAA wedging the window and popping the interior door lock. There isn't an interior door lock button. It's only the door handle that has to be pulled open that will only unlock the doors. And as I mentioned - that won't help to open the trunk. If the car is locked the only way to open the trunk is with a remote or the emergency key.

on my xk there is a trunk unlock button next to the gas cap rear fog lamp switch on the small switch panel

Old 11-02-2021, 06:14 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

:-). and I have a spare key (not fob) clipped onto the underside of the car. In the old days when they made license plates that didn’t peel, I would tuck tape a key to the back of the license plate.

Quick Reply: Locked out with only keyfob in the trunk - resolved!