XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking at 2007 XK

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2007 XK

Hello. Totally new to the forums and the world of jaguar. I am looking at a 2007 XK convertible with 13400 miles on it. I am reading though a lot of online reviews. This forum looks to be a lot of help. I plan to do a PPI on this vehicle. Can someone ease my concerns about all the electrical problems I read about? I currently own a 1999 Porsche Boxster and do a lot of the maintenance myself. I do my own oil changes and brakes. Any specific things I should look for other than getting a PPI? Thanks and hopefully I will be a part of the jag family soon!!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

water leaking into passenger footwell, cracked transmission pan, dash leather detaching from dash near windshield. Suspension bushings....

Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by JagPerk
Hello. Totally new to the forums and the world of jaguar. I am looking at a 2007 XK convertible with 13400 miles on it. I am reading though a lot of online reviews. This forum looks to be a lot of help. I plan to do a PPI on this vehicle. Can someone ease my concerns about all the electrical problems I read about? I currently own a 1999 Porsche Boxster and do a lot of the maintenance myself. I do my own oil changes and brakes. Any specific things I should look for other than getting a PPI? Thanks and hopefully I will be a part of the jag family soon!!
Looks like you came across a great find, in a 2007 XK Vert with 13,400 miles. That is rare.

As Moses stated above, the issues he listed are the most common. As far as the electrical issues, if you buy a CTEK MUS 4.3...8 step battery maintainer, the issues with electrical gremlins will be very controlled. Because of the vast amount of electrical sensors in these Jaguars they have a tendency to eat up battery power.

I have recommended the CTEK brand here on the forum for many years, and those who have followed the advice have been quite happy in the resolve of electrical issues.

I suggest Amazon for sourcing the CTEK MUS 4.3 and here is a link, and I have provided a link for the installation of the CTEK unit.

These are 2 components I recommend....

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A...s=ctek+mus+4.3

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-304-1...PDTTCTJ3ZR8CY5

Here is the link for the suggested installation...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

Welcome to the forum. The members here are terrific people and dedicated to the brand.

Enjoy the new ride, if you buy it.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on the CTEK. Very useful to have. If you daily your car, probably not needed, but good to have ready for when you do. Quick attach is easy to hide.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I saw the tip to buy a battery tender. I will def do that if I buy it. I also saw the issues with the water in the passenger footwell.

Would I b able to check the bushings and transmission pan with the naked eye as the car sits on the ground or is this something to have checked during the PPI? Thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by JagPerk
Thanks guys. I saw the tip to buy a battery tender. I will def do that if I buy it. I also saw the issues with the water in the passenger footwell.

Would I b able to check the bushings and transmission pan with the naked eye as the car sits on the ground or is this something to have checked during the PPI? Thanks
If your pan is cracked, you can see it. Have your PPI mechanic give it a look see while it's on the lift. It's low probability.

Bushes are a different story as they can wear with miles but also time as they bear the brunt of the vehicles weight. There's nothing magical to them though and they're tested for wear like any other bushings, ball joints, tie rods etc...

As the car is over 5 years old, if you buy, drain flush and replace your coolant. It's OAT (Dexcool) and has a 5 year lifespan, assuming it hasn't been done.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

You should replace all fluids if you don't have a recent receipt and I would replace all bushings along with it; get ahead of the issues. Car will be tight and fresh then. You'll be able to cross a lot off the list if something new comes up.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,555 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
water leaking into passenger footwell, cracked transmission pan, dash leather detaching from dash near windshield. Suspension bushings....
+1 think Moses has covered the lot

With the transmission pan I replaced the plastic one with a zf metal pan when servicing the gearbox.

The other thing I would suggest replacing is the thermostat and thermostat housing, very common issue on the xk units as the plastic housing starts to disintegrate.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

You have now been properly briefed by the good members of this forum. My advice, is go for it!! If the PPI is positive you have found a winner and the doors open to lots of fund. Welcome.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

In the spirit of being unbiased, would the CTEK proponents please mention that the use of a CTEK is not required on a properly working Jaguar XK. New folks on this forum are getting the wrong idea about these cars even before they buy them. JagPerk, you should not need to use a CTEK on an XK. If the alternator and battery are working correctly, then it should hold its charge with no additional outside help. The electrics on these cars do not eat up the battery if they are in proper working condition. When new, these cars came with two sets of keys and that's it. Jaguar did not include a CTEK because it was not a requirement.

Maybe the PPI can determine if the Jag you are considering requires one. If it does, then you have to make a decision to buy it or not. Personally, I would walk away and buy one that does not have an electrical problem.

The Jaguar XK is an amazing, car and with depreciation, you get a lot of car for the money. Also the 2007 is the only year that has the optional wood steering wheel [a big plus] It also has the traditional shifter console where you can put in a fabulous shift knob [see pic of mine]. Let us know how it works out.

Attached Thumbnails Looking at 2007 XK-136893d1475769182-interior-praise-xk-126018d1456436508-burl-walnut-shift-knob-beautiful-workmans.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 02-03-2017 at 01:56 PM.