XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy

Hello all.

Glad to have found this forum. I'm currently looking to buy an 09/10 XKR Coupe preferably portfolio edition. I've found a couple for sale and looking for your experienced feedback. Here is a link to one I will be looking at next week.

http://integrityautoinc.biz/mobile/view/B29060

Wondering what you all think and things I should pay close attention to when test driving.
The XKR has always been on my "must have" list and I want to make sure I make the right selection as I will only drive it in the summer (being in Northern Michigan) and care for/store it properly.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I look forward to joining you all in ownership.

Cheers
J

Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum MNichXKR,

I've copied your question from New Member Area - Intro to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham

Old 01-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Looks very nice! But buyer beware, since it's a used car without a Jaguar CPO warranty. Does the seller have the service records? Pay a local Jaguar dealer to do a PPI - Pre-Purchase Inspection with a checklist of all items inspected and results in writing. Also pay a body shop to check for body/chassis repair and paint work. You can't rely on CarFax and AutoCheck. I noticed that the ad says it has Alcon brakes but I didn't see the red calipers in the photos. There are lots of other threads on this Forum about what to look for when buying a used XKR. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

You may want to eliminate any car that has been driven in the Salt. It may look OK now but 2/3 yrs later "you'll be sorry".

Old 01-12-2015, 10:03 AM

You mean salt as in Florida salt air?

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
You may want to eliminate any car that has been driven in the Salt. It may look OK now but 2/3 yrs later "you'll be sorry".

Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

I think he means roads covered with salt in the winter. Florida is a very big market for Jaguar and I haven't heard of any Jaguar alloy-bodied corrosion problems from there.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 AM

Thanks Stuart. Appreciate the reply. I figured it was a "salt road" situation. Living in northern Michigan I will certainly store it during the off season

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I think he means roads covered with salt in the winter. Florida is a very big market for Jaguar and I haven't heard of any Jaguar alloy-bodied corrosion problems from there.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

You asked for suggestions.
I gave you one.
You ridiculed it.
I try so hard to hard to be good to you twerps. I could just cry.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:24 PM

I appreciate your suggestion and don't feel that I ridiculed it. Just wanted clarification. No need to call names

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
You asked for suggestions.
I gave you one.
You ridiculed it.
I try so hard to hard to be good to you twerps. I could just cry.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Suggest you look very strongly at the 2010 model. Why, 5.0 l engine. body updated. vehicle all around "tighter" with some handling improvements and more standard gearbox options meaning dynamic mode, and winter mode (I don't think they were available on the 09's). Also no more modified J shift but the round disc that Jaguar is now using on all models. Lastly, because the 10 is one model year newer.

As earlier suggested have the car inspected at a Jaguar dealer to make sure you are getting what you are paying for - nothing more-nothing less. Oh, and welcome aboard and good luck. One final thought. If the car has an AGM battery that would be a plus factor.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Suggest you look very strongly at the 2010 model. Why, 5.0 l engine. body updated. vehicle all around "tighter" with some handling improvements and more standard gearbox options meaning dynamic mode, and winter mode (I don't think they were available on the 09's). Also no more modified J shift but the round disc that Jaguar is now using on all models. Lastly, because the 10 is one model year newer.

As earlier suggested have the car inspected at a Jaguar dealer to make sure you are getting what you are paying for - nothing more-nothing less. Oh, and welcome aboard and good luck. One final thought. If the car has an AGM battery that would be a plus factor.

Would totally agree with 2010+ model.

Never hurts to have Jag look at the car (or someone else competent). I'd worry more about the body than engine if the history is all documented. Body shop look at the car, at minimum. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Looks very nice! But buyer beware, since it's a used car without a Jaguar CPO warranty. Does the seller have the service records? Pay a local Jaguar dealer to do a PPI - Pre-Purchase Inspection with a checklist of all items inspected and results in writing. Also pay a body shop to check for body/chassis repair and paint work. You can't rely on CarFax and AutoCheck. I noticed that the ad says it has Alcon brakes but I didn't see the red calipers in the photos. There are lots of other threads on this Forum about what to look for when buying a used XKR. Good luck!
Stuart:

I don't want to disagree with you, but I have too.......

I think this young man can certainly rely on the Carfax report as the car has been continuously serviced by Wilde Jaguar in Sarasota, Florida since 8/18/2008. All the records confirm this.

I agree the 2009 Jaguar does not have Alcon brakes. This is an independent dealer who most likely bought this car at auction on 10/12/2014 and now has it up for sale.

Many times an independent dealer/seller will simply "google" the 2009 Jaguar XKR and just assume the car has the Alcon brake system. As owners of the 2009 Jaguar XKR's we both know from viewing the photos, it does not have Alcon's or the ACC. It does however have the Ivory interior, and you know yourself, that in itself is quite rare.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Richard,

No one should rely solely on CarFax and similar products. Yes, they are a good starting point in your due diligence but often omit critical information and contain errors. Read the CarFax terms and conditions. Users have no recourse for errors and omissions. As I said, Buyer Beware.

Stuart

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Richard,

No one should rely solely on CarFax and similar products. Yes, they are a good starting point in your due diligence but often omit critical information and contain errors. Read the CarFax terms and conditions. Users have no recourse for errors and omissions. As I said, Buyer Beware.

Stuart
Stuart:

We live in a world of disclaimers and terms and conditions. So many businesses, forms needed to be signed, internet orders etc all require agreements to terms and conditions. Carfax is no different. This Jaguar Forum is no different, there are terms and conditions here.

As discussed previously Carfax does not go out and seek information on vehicles. Electronic data is sent to Carfax and other vehicles report sites. Carfax receives these electronic reports and data from OEM car dealerships, insurance companies, state agencies such a motor vehicle departments. Carfax is a huge electronic gatherer of information, much like a credit report.

I have sent you the Carfax on this particular vehicle that J is considering for your review. You can evaluate the information and make your own conclusions if you feel that Carfax has reported misleading or inaccurate information. It looks to me that this 2009 Jag XKR PE has been serviced by a bona fide Jaguar dealer since it entered thru customs and the USA. Wilde Jaguar in Sarasota, Florida has always been the servicing dealer. They have a good reputation.

Could the Carfax be missing something, sure. But as you know the majority of Jaguar owners have these vehicles serviced by Jaguar dealers.

This young man will test and see the XKR upfront and personal. As an owner of a 2009 Jaguar XKR PE, you know your car well, and should be able to make a good conclusion after seeing the Carfax report yourself. Because of your knowledge of the Jaguar models and brands, your input to this member is greatly helpful. Having a member assist in this matter like yourself is a major plus. And that Stuart is a compliment to you.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Richard,

Thanks for the compliment.

Your fervent defense of CarFax makes me wonder if you have an ownership interest in the company. (Just kidding, I know you don't.)

I'm glad you had a positive CarFax experience, but many others did not. Google "can I rely on CarFax".

Buyer Beware :icon_deadhorse:

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-14-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Richard,

Thanks for the compliment.

Your fervent defense of CarFax makes me wonder if you have an ownership interest in the company. (Just kidding, I know you don't.)

I'm glad you had a positive CarFax experience, but many others did not. Google "can I rely on CarFax".

Buyer Beware

Stuart
As stated Carfax is just one arrow in the quiver to selecting a used vehicle. On site inspection, professional inspection is always an aded bonus.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

+1 on the suggestion to look for a 2010 5.0 - it's not just the engine, the gearbox is a significant upgrade. And it has Dynamic Mode, which 'tightens' things up for performance driving.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM

Thanks to all for the advise. I'm anxious to see this particular XKR first hand next week. Keep the feedback coming.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

CarFax is just a part of the whole picture, albeit an important one. Nice to see where & how the car lived through its life. It's certainly no guarantee on accident or damage, but it does provide vital clues.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

In any 4.2 car, check the passenger footwell for signs that the carpet may have been wet (if you can, lift it & check the underside). The aircon drain in the 4.2s tends to block, causing water to build up in the fan assembly & leak into the footwell.

If the carpet is wet, the drain is probably blocked & needs to be modified (requires removing the dash, $1000 cost). If it is dry but there are signs of water, the drain may have been modified already - see if the dealer can find out. If the selling dealer does't know, the Jag dealer that has been servicing the car might be willing to tell you.

There are other, cheaper ways to deal with a blocked drain (plenty of threads on here about it), but they all require tools, knowledge or DIY confidence that the average joe doesn't possess.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy