XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking for a clean low mile XKR

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Hi all,
Today, I looked at 2010 lunar gray XKR with 37K miles. They are asking $43K. However, looking over the CarFax report, there was an indication the original owner sold it back to JaguarUSA with filing a claim under the lemon Law. The second owner only kept it a little over 12 months. Is there a way to determine what the original reason for the filing was? The salesman eluded to the car being sold as a CPO. But, there were reasons surrounding this dealership that I wasn't enamored over.
Is there a way to determine through the VIN, what the original problem that caused the Lemon Law filing? I know there is a bunch of documentation by both the owner and the dealership. Hmmm??

Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Google the VIN and see what comes up in the search.

Probably very hard to determine problems unless you can track down the original owner of the car.

Probably best to stay away, as there are plenty of deals out there. You just have to search, and search, and search.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak

Probably very hard to determine problems unless you can track down the original owner of the car.

Probably best to stay away, as there are plenty of deals out there. You just have to search, and search, and search.

Many times you actually need to be a detective to see what the "real story" is about the car. Of course getting to speak with the original owner is the best way if it's a one or two owner car. Same thing with mysterious paint work. You will never actually know what happened unless an owner happens to be honest with you. Otherwise......the mystery remains.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak

Hi,
Yeah a little leery here too. I might contact my jag dealer who services my XJR and see if he has any thoughts. Looking through the service records, there were a lot electrical servicing issues. Within the first 5K miles, the Engine/powertrain computer/module checked, the fuel tank replaced, and the
A/C refrigerant recharged. The fuel tank issue is a bazaar one. At 37K miles, the maintenance inspection was completed, the water pump replaced an air intake hose replaced, "radio" replaced, cooling system checked, body electrical system checked. This last it occurred a number of times. It does appear, the owners have been keeping up the schedule maintenance intervals, though.
There is about 6 months remaining on the factory warranty. Later....

Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Too many miles. I'd look for the lowest mileage car available and put the miles on yourself. High mileage Jaguars are not the way to go when starting your first Jaguar experience.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Too many miles. I'd look for the lowest mileage car available and put the miles on yourself. High mileage Jaguars are not the way to go when starting your first Jaguar experience.
I agree with the principle, but I don't think 37k miles is "too many". On a decent engine, that's not much past break-in, presuming no serious track usage.

But those issues would make me stay away from what otherwise sounds like a very good deal...

Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
I agree with the principle, but I don't think 37k miles is "too many". On a decent engine, that's not much past break-in, presuming no serious track usage.

But those issues would make me stay away from what otherwise sounds like a very good deal...
Yeah, agree. Too many early issues that usually occur waaay down stream. Just having a battery replaced in 37K miles is ?? Especially, when I just replaced my original battery ('04 XJR- 80K mi.) last summer....