XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking for "the one"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for "the one"

New to the forum(came from M5 world) and have decided to get my first Jaguar. I have a dealership(thru a friend) who can get me the car I want. Unlike the M5 I had purchased, if I've read everything correctly about the car I want it should make the search options easy.

I'm looking for a 2009 XKR Portfolio. My only choice is interior color right? i'd prefer light interior. But with Jaguar that is it? The wheels are specific to that pkg, vent seats, upgraded stereo, etc. are all included unlike BMW's. I found one within 2 hour drive that I hope to drive this weekend and may end up with that one.

Still need to read on here if having it CPO'd is better than other extended warranties(3rd party). With BMW it's really not worth it because it doesn't cover electronics that have a tendency to be an issue.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Do take the time to read the fine print of a CPO warranty and an aftermarket warranty. Focus on the exclusions.
Most aftermarket warranties are underwritten by insurance companies, and are just a form of insurance. Your analysis should balance the potential cost of being "self insured" against the risk of insured loss.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Having gone thru the CPO vs BMW extended vs. 3rd party will dow the same.

It was actually better to get BMW Platinum extended or most 3rd party warranties than BMW CPO(it was basically powertrain only) Haven't read Jaguar's CPO yet, but will be for sure. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka
New to the forum(came from M5 world) and have decided to get my first Jaguar. ... I'm looking for a 2009 XKR Portfolio. My only choice is interior color right? i'd prefer light interior. But with Jaguar that is it? The wheels are specific to that pkg, vent seats, upgraded stereo, etc. are all included ...
Chakka,

I have a 2009 Portfolio Convertible and love it! You're right - almost everything came standard on the Portfolio. The choices and options were:
  1. Convertible top color (black or dark grey)
  2. Interior color (charcoal with cranberry stitching or 2-tone ivory/slate and slate stitching),
  3. Dash trim - either Rich Oak or Spun Aluminum
  4. Adaptive Cruise Control ($2,200 option)
  5. Alcon Brakes ($3,000 option)
Jaguar North America informed me that only 180 Portfolio coupes and 200 convertibles were produced for the 2009 model year. Cars with the ivory/slate interior and all the options - adaptive cruise, and Alcon brakes - are even more rare. Good luck in finding a nice one!

Stuart

Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I broke even on a 3rd party warranty on my VDP and decided to keep the money on hand for repairs instead of buying another warranty for the XK. I do have a Jaguar indy shop walking distance from home, so repairs are much less than the dealer.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Chakka sent you a PM.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM

I just seem to gather on this car, maintenance is what it is for all high end cars, but I haven't read about chronic issues that make you feel you absolutely wouldn't own this car without warranty.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chakka
I just seem to gather on this car, maintenance is what it is for all high end cars, but I haven't read about chronic issues that make you feel you absolutely wouldn't own this car without warranty.
My repair costs and service time to fix is on par with my girlfriend's Dodge Neon. Some parts cost more, but many routine parts were not far off in price. The car is not going to leave you stranded like a Maserati and there are places beyond the dealer that can fix it right the first time.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I didn't buy one for mine. I'm not really a fan of them. Mind you, I also do a lot of my own work when things go wrong and also tend to be a little more fastidious about my maintenance too.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Been reading a bunch, but still a bit confused. Found a 2009 XKR Coupe. 8 months left on the warranty, so I inquired about Certification (Select Edition). He told me it would add 3 years and up to 100,000miles for $2900? Asked about a list of exclusions and he said there are none(I know that's not true) and it's bumper to bumper just like the original.

In reading on here i'm reading it's 2 year additional not 3 years? Please give me some direction. Also, a friend just bought yesterday a 2010(20,000k) XKR Conv. and was quoted $5,100 for Certified(Select Edition) Warranty. Different dealer, but that is a crazy difference. In dealing with BMW, certified in power train basically, no electronics or of course wear & tear. Plus, their prices vary, but not nearly this much.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Chakka - Asked to see the warranty coverage in writing. Also, I am told that you can negotiate a price for the coverage which can also vary as to mileage and age limits.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Chakka - Asked to see the warranty coverage in writing. Also, I am told that you can negotiate a price for the coverage which can also vary as to mileage and age limits.
Exactly what I asked him to do. In writing. I have his email with the price, so that's good.

I just copied and pasted from the Jaguar website Q & A about warranties available to the SA i'm dealing with.
It states :
New car : 4/50 limited bumper to bumper
Select Edition : 6/100 limited warranty

Left out the bumper to bumper as the SA told me on the phone. So, I said i'm not going forward until he emails/faxes me the contract w/exclusions & price
he quoted. He really doesn't seem to have a clue. I don't know why I thought the SA's for Jaguar would be better informed than BMW's, but it's the same deal it appears. Other difference is everyone I've talked to with Jaguar I can barely understand which doesn't help. Once the SA gets that and the service records for me I will be in a better position to make an informed decision on moving forward.

You would think the salesmen would know the warranties. The Select Edition Warranty is the same for all of the their cars. At least with BMW you can go online and find out the exclusions. Don't understand why they leave it up the salesmen.

Last edited by chakka; 08-26-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Showdown at a dealership today on possibly "the one"

Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Has the car already been certified? If it has, can you buy it without the warranty for less? If the Jag warranty does make you feel confident, buy a warranty from someone else. Do you plan to servicing at the dealer you are buying from?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Has the car already been certified? If it has, can you buy it without the warranty for less? If the Jag warranty does make you feel confident, buy a warranty from someone else. Do you plan to servicing at the dealer you are buying from?
It's gone thru and I have the report of the Select Edition, but it is not currently offered with it. (All things are very 70% or more)
I will not be buying Extended from them. Car is under warranty 4/50 until April of next year. At that point i'll look at third parties. Have already gotten prices which are good with comparable prices. I will not be using them for service either. Too far away.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Post pictures when you get a chance.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 AM

Rear tires which were "certified" to be 7/32 were bald in the middle. Outside edges were dry rotted, but had tons of armour all so from a distance looked shiny. Called the manager on it and that these shouldn't have passes VA inspection.
Thoroughly looked the car over, found a lighter under the seat. Big question I had asked was non-smoker car. Salesman had told me yes on the phone and even when I handed him the lighter he said non-smoker car. Pulled the car cigarette lighter and it was obviously used. I handed it to him. He said nothing.
He knew very little about the cars history because the carfax didn't have service records prior to them buying it. I called Jaguar NA in NJ and they gave me all the info including where it was purchased. Called that dealership and got the service history.
Bottom line I told them I want two new tires(which it needed anyway), new cig lighter for the car & $500 off (processing fee) for misinformation and misrepresentation of the car.
They agreed to tires, lighter, but would not come down $500. Mind you that was only off the advertised price!
So I walked.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, tough customer. Smoker/Non-smoker doesn't bother me if my impression of the car is odor free and there are no burn holes. I smoke cigars semi frequently in the Jag and no one has ever said a day or two later "did you smoke cigars in here?"

Misrepresenting the car is not good. $500 is not too far apart, maybe they'll call you after the weekend?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Wow, tough customer. Smoker/Non-smoker doesn't bother me if my impression of the car is odor free and there are no burn holes. I smoke cigars semi frequently in the Jag and no one has ever said a day or two later "did you smoke cigars in here?"

Misrepresenting the car is not good. $500 is not too far apart, maybe they'll call you after the weekend?
The car doesn't smell at all of smoke, but when I specifically asked about it being non-smoker and he said yes, then I get there and start my inspection and after he told me it was cleaned 3x for me and the wheels are still not that clean and I look under the front seat and in plain sight is a lighter, that bugged me. He again said non-smoker as I handed him the in-car lighter that was obviously used.

Plus, sending me the sheet that says rear tires have 7/32" of tread and there is NONE! To the point the manager when asked says he'll change them. Tells me poor inspection, but not surprised given the windows were dark tinted that isn't legal for VA either. Typical in-house "dealership" inspection.

Overall the car was very nice, I would have tinted the windows so that's a bonus(savings), new tires with an extra 4/32" over what was supposed to be on there is good. Given a set like what are on there are $900! So that's worth $300-400 to me. Window tint is nothing they did, but is value $300 to me. They would deliver it (4 hours round trip), plus my time.

But, the fact they would have sold the car to me like this really is bothersome!
In the condition it was in, if it rained it would be dicey! Being my wife will drive the car as well that really set me off.

The salesman not even taking the time to call Jaguar NA for the information I requested and basically saying, "isn't it great looking car?". My response was, "it looks like the other 4 i've looked at." It's condition is good, light amount of knicks that would accompany 30k miles. Inside was very nice(just too much armour all!) Dealerships think shiny is better I guess.

I'm asking for are the Processing(document) fee's removed. He really did no work on my behalf on the car.

I asked him during the test drive how long he was selling Jaguar and he said 2 months. In his (possible) defense, he was going by the numbers of the tires from the inspection that was done in March when the got the car. Mind you only 200 miles were put on after that. He's assuming(possibly) that the numbers they gave him are correct. When I called him on it, he was not happy. When I said to him for the last time that we have a deal if he removes the $500 from the advertised price and he said "no room, my manager said he can't". I got up and thanked him, shook his hand and he went off in a huff. Would love to hear the conversation with the manager that he had after that.

We'll see how it plays out. It's a good deal, but not the best deal ever for sure!