XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking To Purchase An XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking To Purchase An XK

In my 59 years I have only seen two XK's and those were in the last couple of years. I have lived an hour north of Denver since 2000. I am looking to buy a coupe, preferably in red, light or indigo blue or lunar gray. Will consider an R but am more interested in mileage over HP. Have been looking for months but most are located in Florida, Texas or California. Flying out to test drive is a difficult decision.

In my extensive research, I seem to recall that they were "perfected" by 2008? Can anyone provide me with info or a link that discusses issues or what years are preferable?

Old 04-30-2022, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

Hey Catuscat,

Before I say much a question arises; are you planning on working on the car yourself or use a dealer/independent shop?

I’m in my 70’s and although I really would like to own a 2010 or later, I’m concerned about the upkeep. No the rudimentary issues but rather all of the electronics. I have scanners and sdd software but I’m getting long in tooth to ‘learn’ as much as I probably should in order to service the later model car myself. My fixed income doesn’t allow for the unexpected 2-3k or 5-10k.

I currently have an 08 XK convertible and later this year I’ll look in earnest for another 08 or 09 XKR with 50k miles or less. That is my comfort zone at the moment. My car has 96K and the service history does not show any surprise issues over its life span. The engine sounds great, the tranny is absolutely great…life is good!

wj

Old 04-30-2022, 08:48 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Officially, there's only a 2 MPG difference between the XK and the XKR. These things are like motor yachts in that you don't get them for their economy, and if you're sweating 2 MPG, this is not the car for you. If you want, swing on by in early June and we can go do laps up in the canyons so you can get a feel for what the car do. A friend has an XF-RS and he'll come play, too. If the logistics of that don't work, buy with confidence because it's the car you always wanted, but never knew it.

Life's short; go big while you can because in ten years you'll regret it. Get the R.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mandrake:
Chris77 (05-01-2022), guy (05-01-2022), Hans Amstein (06-24-2022), ralphwg (05-01-2022), tberg (05-02-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Life's short; go big while you can because in ten years you'll regret it. Get the R.
It won’t take 10 years…

Old 05-01-2022, 12:34 AM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cactuscat
In my 59 years I have only seen two XK's and those were in the last couple of years. I have lived an hour north of Denver since 2000. I am looking to buy a coupe, preferably in red, light or indigo blue or lunar gray. Will consider an R but am more interested in mileage over HP. Have been looking for months but most are located in Florida, Texas or California. Flying out to test drive is a difficult decision. CA, AZ, TX, FL, GA cars would be my first choices as rust is mostly not an issue.

In my extensive research, I seem to recall that they were "perfected" by 2008? Can anyone provide me with info or a link that discusses issues or what years are preferable?
Most of the cars Ive bought were out of state after a PPI and then transport. Rust belt cars are a no no....and you are in the rust belt due to the salt/chemicals they put on the streets to melt ice. Look on the facebook Market Place as thats where a lot of gems (and turds) pop up. Red/Bue and somewhat Lunar grey coupes dont come up that often so me ready to pounce. Im sure I over payed for my Dark Sapphire Metallic/ Ivory with 19,000 miles and I havent seen another one even close since I bought it last Nov. These cars are fairly robust and easy to work on. IMHO the perfect year was 2010 as it had the Vertical fender vents and updated interior (shifter) but thats my personal preferance.

Last edited by lear60man; 05-01-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:24 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Usually, I would agree.
I do live in a “rust belt”, (lol) and my cars are perfect. And unlike most, the xkr has been known to stretch her legs on the way to ski country.
Truly, there is a place for the xk and the xkr. Any model from 2007 is a solid car…. if she’s been properly maintained.

Contact your local Jaguar club, and get yourself a ride. These are not the cars from the 70s, 80s, or 90s.
And if is any consolation, I purchased my last 3 cars, site unseen and without a test drive and, from out of country. There were no negative surprises. Of course, due homework was in order.

Cheers.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

Good luck in your search. These are very enjoyable cars.
A 4.2 L XKR and 5L XK are very close in performance. As others noted, none of these will get very good MPG and all run on premium fuel. The MPG and fuel cost would be a very minor consideration for me as smiles per mile is what I’m after.
A well maintained car with documented maintenance plus a thorough PPI by a mechanic familiar with these cars is recommended.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:57 AM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Usually, I would agree.
I do live in a “rust belt”, (lol) and my cars are perfect. And unlike most, the xkr has been known to stretch her legs on the way to ski country.
Truly, there is a place for the xk and the xkr. Any model from 2007 is a solid car…. if she’s been properly maintained.

Contact your local Jaguar club, and get yourself a ride. These are not the cars from the 70s, 80s, or 90s.
And if is any consolation, I purchased my last 3 cars, site unseen and without a test drive and, from out of country. There were no negative surprises. Of course, due homework was in order.

Cheers.
Your cars are perfect because you are a enthusiast who cars for their cars properly. I was just in Manitobia last week and saw lots of late model cars developing visible cancer as most owners treat their cars like......cars. As a buyer, you are two steps ahead buying a car from the states I listed above.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:06 AM

I appreciate all of your replies.

I have never owned anything newer than an '05. Vehicles are continuing to get more complicated and as a result, more difficult for someone like me to work on. I have been wrenching on cars since I was 16 but usually the bolt-on/replacement kind of mechanical work. Not so proficient at diagnostics. That was the year that I purchased my '72 Roadrunner which is in need of complete restoration and parked in a friends barn since '87. So many more issues with those older vehicles.

They do use mag chloride on our streets but, fortunately, neither my '96 Ram or '99 Astro show signs of rust and I have owned both for a combined 31 years. I did own a '77 BMW 630 CSi which had a large hole under the drivers seat that I patched (no idea if it came in from another state). I will concentrate my search in the southern states or California.

I did not know there was only a 2 mpg difference with an R. I have found many R's that I like so will keep then in consideration.

I found Jaguars 300 point inspection checklist. https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Cert...-checklist.pdf Most likely impossible to perform from 1500 miles away. I think I may try to make a purchase and either fly to the seller or look into delivery. I found the perfect car on Vroom but it was located in Houston. Had a nice chat with a rep who told me that he would wave the $600 delivery fee, which I found odd. I then did research and found horrendous reviews. It was sold a month later...but not to me.

Should I be paying any attention to the Deal Gage that I find on most sale sights? Are they up to date?

Old 05-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Add another $5k for an R? I dunno.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Cactuscat.....Just like most cars in today's market, if you find an extremely clean low mileage well maintained example of the above 2010 XK you researched, plan to pay more than those numbers. Exceptional 12 year old cars are difficult to find.

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-01-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:40 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

My similar journey started about two years ago. i was lucky to find an '08 with only 32k on it, owned by a guy who had a driveable collection of Ferrari's and other high-end exotics, along with a full-time mechanic so I knew it was well cared-for. This is a summer-only vehicle for me and is stored form Nov-April.

My search took about four months, and the seller lived outside of Philadelphia. Why do I bring this up?

Don't rule out rust belt states as many of us never let our cars see the (dim) light of winter.

Good luck with your search. You have zeroed in on one of the finest automobiles ever created!

The following users liked this post:
Hans Amstein (05-02-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 04:09 PM

Re: Mileage. I forgot to mention that I recently took a 400ish mile road trip and at a steady 75 MPH over hilly terrain, averaged a hair over 27 MPG according to the dash. It was 99% highway as it was simply an out-and-back trip, but there ya go. Around town, I get about 19. Even if the car got a combined 4 MPG, the ownership experience would still be worth it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mandrake:
Bill400 (05-02-2022), Cee Jay (05-01-2022), Hans Amstein (05-02-2022), Scott in PA (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
It won’t take 10 years…
Funny, that. My dad bought an '11 XK as a CPO about ten years ago. They lived in VT at the time and since I'm only ever back there for the holidays, only got to sit in it and start it up but never drive it. Fast forward to 2017 when I was on the hunt for an X150 and my dad was crowing about how much power the XK has and how it's all anyone ever needs and this and that... So, I get the R because father's only right 99.9% of the time.* Shortly after I brought it home, my parents came to visit, and it only took him about three minutes of driving mine to realize he should have went with an R.

*To be honest, I probably would have ended up with an XK had it not been for Cee Jay and his generous offer to take me for a spin in his R. A month or so after that, I was flying to OR to pick mine up from the original owner, sight unseen save for pictures. The 750ish mile drive home? Best first date, ever.

The following 7 users liked this post by Mandrake:
Cee Jay (05-01-2022), kj07xk (05-01-2022), pk4144 (06-24-2022), ralphwg (05-01-2022), Scott in PA (05-01-2022), tberg (05-02-2022), V7Sport (05-01-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I recently bought an XJR 575 from the Seattle area sight unseen. What I did was to hire Lemonsquad.com to run a PPI. They submitted a very thorough report with a myriad of pictures and included the results of a test drive for under $350. I bought the car and had it shipped to me in SoCal as I didn't think I wanted to make a 1200+ mile drive from Seattle in January. Long story short. If you are going to spend $20k+ on a great car, spend a little extra to get it inspected. Make sure you have the body inspected as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
gctippett (05-10-2022), tberg (05-02-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine online - you are correct most are in southern warm weather states - and not near Denver. I got lucky and found one near Seattle Washington - about 4 hour drive from me - the car was at a dealership and the drove it to me. Lucky I guess - but yes I too wanted the XK without the supercharger on it, for number of reasons. I looked at flying to Palm Springs and Las Vegas - to pick up one - as these are places I wouldn't mind flying too. Anyway you might get lucky but likely will need to take a small trip. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought my 2010 XK Vert a little over a year ago. $22,000 out the door with 52K on the odometer . It was a FLA car that was owned by a Mich. Snowbird that finally drove it home to sell. It had a good CarFAX history, but I still went ahead and had all the fluids changed and a pan drop transmission done, also new battery, all new TMP's installed and had a C-Tech battery maintainer hard wired in the trunk. All this was done after reading a lot of good info. here. After owning a totally trouble free BMW Z4 for 17 years I'm still not 100% convinced about it's reliability after only 1 summers use. I'll take it out of the barn in another week or so for my second summer. Six months under cover, six months in the sun.
I get a lot more attention with the Jag than I ever received driving my BMW, and the performance is 1000 times better.
I have been told a number of times, you have to be able to afford the upkeep of a Jag, to enjoy the fun driving it.
It's a splendid vehicle, breathtaking looks, and performance if you have the commitment maintain it.

The following 2 users liked this post by jbmi:
Barry Leftwich (05-08-2022), gctippett (05-10-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

jbmi,
I've beaten this dead horse before, but I've owned my 2010 XKR for well over 9 years. Sometime in the next few weeks, I will surpass 200,000 miles on my pulley and tuned XKR. With out question, the 130,000 plus miles that I've added to her history have been the most rewarding, reliable, magnificent ownership experience I've ever owned with an automobile in 55 years of driving. How many 600hp cars can you name that have their original auto transmission still guiding them with nothing more than 2 transmission fluid changes. I have tracked this car many times, it is still my daily driver EVERYDAY! Don't be afraid or nervous.

The following 6 users liked this post by tberg:
Cee Jay (05-11-2022), gctippett (05-10-2022), guy (05-10-2022), Hans Amstein (06-24-2022), jbmi (05-03-2022), JeremiahLovesJags (05-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:45 AM

A nationwide inspection service is a great resource and thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I am surprised to hear the great mpg achieved on some of these cars and also how relatively care free they can be.

In the future, I also hope to have a large storage shed/garage filled with my favorite rides!

(I had some issues trying to post over the last few days)

The following users liked this post:
gctippett (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
jbmi,
I've beaten this dead horse before, but I've owned my 2010 XKR for well over 9 years. Sometime in the next few weeks, I will surpass 200,000 miles on my pulley and tuned XKR. With out question, the 130,000 plus miles that I've added to her history have been the most rewarding, reliable, magnificent ownership experience I've ever owned with an automobile in 55 years of driving. How many 600hp cars can you name that have their original auto transmission still guiding them with nothing more than 2 transmission fluid changes. I have tracked this car many times, it is still my daily driver EVERYDAY! Don't be afraid or nervous.
Tberg. I'm curious and would like to know how with all those miles you have dealt with the plastic coolant lines and water pump? Have they been modified from the factory coolant lines? I know the front outlet crossover is updated for the XKR but how about the rear heater pipe and all the other plastic pieces? Have you found some more fragile than others? Have you changed them more than once?

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-07-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking To Purchase An XK